Top critical review
897 people found this helpful
Do not buy Honeywell brand HRF-AP1, HRF-APP1 or 38002, buy the thicker, better, less dusty generic prefilters.
on February 10, 2013
I do not recommend Honeywell brand HRF-AP1, HRF-APP1 or 38002 because :
(1) Prefilters HRF-AP1, HRF-APP1 or 38002 (all made in Mexico) are thinner and much lower quality than the original prefilter that comes with the air purifier or the generic ones made in US, Korea or China that I bought before. The prefilter 38002 is basically the same quality, thickness and porosity as prefilter HRF-AP1 except for the higher price. I suspect HRF-AP1 and 38002 are the same exact items with a different box and price.
(2) The pores or holes are bigger, many 3 mm or bigger. You can see clearly many big holes by holding the prefilter against the light. The prefilter is also covered with fine black carbon dusts. My hands and table are covered with carbon dusts. That means many particles including the carbon dusts are bypassing the prefilter causing the HEPA filter to clog up faster.
Without prefilter, the HEPA filter (about $60 or more) lasts only 4 to 6 months, instead of 1 to 2 years.
(3) Prefilter HRF-APP1 ( suggested retail $ 17.99) has "loose" zeolite added.
(4) You get a better deal by buying prefilters from generic suppliers. The generic filters I have bought are less expensive, thicker and have much less loose black carbon dusts than ones from Kaz and Honeywell. Plus you usually get 2 filters for Honeywell 50250 air purifier instead of 1.
Search "B000U204W2" or "B0009GZJT2" on Amazon, get 16 inch x48 inch $6.25 or GE SmartAire Cut-to-Fit Replacement Carbon Pre-Filter 15x48 $7. Both filters are sold by Industrial Filter Sales, etc. and are thicker, denser than HRF-AP1, HRF-APP1 or 38002.
(5) According to Kaz's website, in 2002, Kaz bought the Honeywell Home Environment business, which includes air purifiers. Kaz continues to use the "Honeywell" brand just like Lenovo used the "IBM" brand.
It takes time to research these information. Please click "Yes" below this line if this review was helpful to you.