Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 6, 2012
As always, I'm completely thrilled with Logitech and its products, they never disappoint. For a mid-tier speaker system, this setup is fantastic. Excellent bass/mids/highs. Love the bass control knob and headset hook in on the control speaker.
4040 comments806 of 845 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 29, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I listened to the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks for years and was happy with the crisp, clean sound and good bass. However, it lacked midrange and didn't have much of a soundstage. A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Axiom Audiobytes which blew my Soundsticks away with a rich sound and expansive soundstage. I've received the Logitech's to review and have done a direct A-B-C comparison of all three 2.1 systems.

Overall, the Logitech's stack up very well with the Audiobytes which cost significantly more at $530. The Logitech soundstage is very good, but not ridiculously expansive like the Audiobytes. The Logitech's musical quality is excellent although slightly harsher than the silky smooth Audiobytes. Voice clarity is great on both systems. Both do a good job with high, mid, and low range frequencies. The subwoofers are similar in that they complement rather than shake the walls. Even though the Audiobytes sound better, any differences between the 2 systems are subtle, and I wouldn't lose much switching to the Logitech's. In short, I am extremely impressed with the Logitech's and would be happy using them permanently.

Direct comparison to the Soundsticks reveals Logitech as clearly superior. The Soundsticks simply sound small compared to the Logitech's. The strength of the Soundsticks is high-end clarity and this is matched by the Logitech's. Frequency balance is significantly better with the Logitech's because the Soundsticks lack midrange. The Soundsticks' sub is a little more boomy than the Logitech but both work well. Since both speaker sets cost the same, the Logitech's are the obvious choice.

The build quality of the Logitech's is very good. The satellites are solidly constructed with nice heft. Control knobs are big and easy to use. The teardrop design looks great on your desk. Built-in wire grills on the satellites and sub not only look good but do a good job protecting the speakers. The satellites are angled slightly upward at about a 15 degree angle which helps decrease any sound reflection off your desk and obviates the need for speaker stands. A minor negative is the cables which connect the satellites to the sub are only 6 feet long so if you want to put your sub far away, you won't be able to do so.

In summary, if you are looking for a great computer speaker, don't hesitate to get the Logitech Z623. If you are fanatical about audio quality, you can do better with the Audiobytes albeit at a much higher cost.

UPDATE: Comparison to Bose Companion 2 Series III. The Logitechs are modestly superior in clarity and overall sound, but the Bose hold their own quite well for a 2.0 system. The Bose is an excellent alternative if you prefer to not deal with a subwoofer.
2929 comments375 of 408 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2010
I mainly got this set for music and some games. After the terrible disappointment with the Logitech Z506, I decided to try my chances on this set. I was afraid the bass is too overpowering for music but it turned out perfect.

Pros
+ Bass is truly clean and powerful
+ Great highs and mids as well
+ No buzzing, humming, crackling noises
+ On-speaker bass and volume controls w/ aux and headphones

Cons
- Speaker wires alittle short. Maybe 2 feet more would of been nice.
- More expensive than the z-2300

Overall for music lovers and gamers, this set is a great investment.
2222 comments215 of 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 30, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Logitech Z623 review with technical data.

I have just completed an extensive battery of tests on the Z623, using both subjective and objective methods. For the listening tests I used a number of audio sources (high bit rate MP3) ranging from dance music heavy with bass notes to vocals. For the measurement portion I used a signal generator and a sound level meter. The sound level from each of the sources, the subwoofer, the port, and the satellite speakers was added together mathematically. I am including the plot of the response as a user image.

First the aesthetics and user friendliness of the system. The power cord comes into the woofer box, then a thick heavy control/signal cable goes to the right speaker and a thin signal only cable goes to the left speaker. Since the cables are permanently attached to the speakers, it would have made sense to make them a bit longer than the 6ft each that they are. Of course with the control cable being > .25" thick, it would have ben somewhat unwieldy to move around. Both the woofer box and the satellite speakers are a subdued black industrial design with the speakers having prominent bolting to make them look real heavy duty. While the box is a straight lines only cube, the satellites also feature smooth organic lines all around. The controls located on the right speaker are smooth, power button activation is light but you still have to hold the speaker to keep it from tipping over. The bass level knob has a detent in the center of travel, which indeed proved to be an optimum position to balance the highs and the lows.

The listening test and measurements: I used an Ipod as a music source and quickly observed that you had to turn the Ipod sound level about all the way up to get a good range of loudness from the speaker volume control knob. For the bass heavy tests I used tracks by 2 Unlimited, Lady Gaga and Pitbull. For the vocal tests I used Jewell, Adele and Decemberists. The bass heavy tracks were rendered with very good low extension, and this can be seen from my response curve. From my established refrence point of 95 db, the Z623 can be said to have a real world frequency response of 30-20kHz, although this comes at a very liberal +/- 10 db tolerance. The peak response at low frequencies was at 40 Hz, which while not typically thought of as a boomy frequency (60-90 Hz) still came across as not being as tight as I would have liked. The midrange is silky smooth, but not very accurate. You can see that essentially from 300 to 8kHz it is increasing in amplitude. What this results in is a smooth sound that lacks presence. Comparing this system to my Altec iMT800 boombox quickly reinforced my very positive opinion of the Altecs. All of the midrange of the Z623 appeared in one flat plane, while the Altec reproduced the soundstage in a crisp 3 dimensional projection. This is where you can not only locate the singer and all the instruments left and right, but front and back as well. This can be alleviated somewhat if you use "emphasize treble" on the sound settings of Ipods or a treble boost from the Volume control panel on the computer. The Z623 does not have a treble control on the speaker, bass level only. After the peak in the response curve at 8kHz, the response start dropping off continuously up to 20kHz and this is what you have to compensate for to get any semblance of crispness that seems to be lacking a bit.

In summary the Z623 system is not only a very capable, loud computer desktop system, but it also fills in the audio reproduction function very nicely as well. While it may not be the most accurate speaker, with some minor treble adjustment it can be used as a good stand alone system with any MP3 players or flat screen TV's.
review image
88 comments179 of 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love listening to music and watching movies on my computer, but I have always relied on relatively cheap speakers (or even my built-in laptop speakers) to provide my sound. I decided to order these speakers and take my music and videos to "the next level" and see if these speakers could deliver the loud, clear, and rich sound I expect from more expensive stereo systems and speakers.

Below are my positive and negative evaluations of the Logitech Z623 speaker system.

Positive:

- The subwoofer is huge, and provides a nice, rich, bass sound. I am amazed at the loudness and clarity of the bass.

- The speakers may seem little, but they produce a big and rich sound, with very little vibration or feedback.

- The overall sound quality and clarity is impressive. When I listened to my favorite songs, I heard sounds and instruments I had never heard before. Watching videos with these speakers has opened up an entirely new (and great) listening experience!

- To test the unit's power, I turned the volume on full blast (with the computer volume turned on full as well) and the sound was pretty much flawless. I didn't hear any rattling or feedback. These speakers are pretty loud, and definitely loud enough for what I need.

Negative:

- The cords are a little short, but not too short as to be annoying.

- The unit is large (the entire set weighs about 22 lbs). This means that moving the speakers and subwoofer is a little inconvenient. I am used to moving speakers around with my laptop. I really can't do this with these speakers.

Overall, this is a great speaker system, and I am glad I upgraded from the cheap speakers. Until now, I didn't know what I was missing using cheaper speakers. I plan on using these speakers any time I watch a video, listen to music, or play games. Their loud and rich sound has turned my computer into a powerful stereo system (I want to throw a party just to show them off!). If you want to take your listening to the next level, these speakers are for you.
77 comments194 of 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 7, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not a high end piece of audio gear. Once I let go of the idea that "THX approved" means anything tangible, I enjoyed these speakers for what they are: decent mid-priced computer speakers that more than get the job done for what they're designed for.

Movies:room filling sound with surprising detail. Dialogue was crisp and bass was powerful.

Music-another story although it all depends what you're listening to. I'm into jazz and world jazz/pop and classical-pretty high end recordings and next to my studio monitors it was a joke. But the more I listened, the more I started to be surprised by the amount of detail in the high end, even if it was pretty trebly and a bit tinny. The bass was OK as I could select the amount I needed for the material, ie more for rock less for jazz or classical. As far as mids go, this is where speakers live or die. I'm afraid these little brutes are not up to the task-mids are sorely lacking in subtlety and warmth, in fact they're hardly there. But that is not what one sould expect from such utilitarian units as these.

I'm not a gamer but I think these will enhance the budget conscious gamer's experience, especially with regards to the sub woofer which is really pretty powerful

My biggest complaint is this unit would really have benefited from a treble control as well as its convenient bass knob.

My main purpose for getting these was to listen to my music mixes over computer speakers which are increasingly how people listen to their music. As such, it serves my needs quite well. And overall, they are far more musical than I had first thought.

NOTE: this unit died about a month ago-just stopped working. I hadn't used it very much either, so I would take this caveat into consideration-they might fry early.
2626 comments164 of 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
The reviews for this product were tough to filter and determine exactly how these speakers would perform. First, some background. I'm not an audiophile. I have no receiver and speakers on my TV, and I had a pair of almost 20 year old Boston Acoustics 2.1 speakers on my computer. They couldn't handle loud music, so I decided to upgrade to these Logitech speakers.

Considering I paid near $100, these deliver impressive bass. It does have limits. Some songs will distort when played loud (near max volume). It doesn't even compare to my friends $3000 car stereo where the bass gave you a full tissue massage, but they aren't $3000. Others have said they are lacking in the midrange. Perhaps a bit, but it's still a great sound and the "missing" midrange is more a problem for audiophiles who shouldn't be buying such inexpensive speakers in the first place. I worried about this when purchasing, and my fears were unwarranted.

Overall, my music is more enjoyable and the rich bass does provide another dimension that was missing. Music feels more real and live. Well worth the money.
0Comment33 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you use your computer for high quality sound, especially gaming or DVDs, these speakers may be a good choice. I tried this out with Brahms 4th Symphony and Return of the King and they produced great, crystal-clear sound, all the way up to top volume, which was loud as heck.

What's good:

- The speakers have nice, clear sound up to room shaking volumes, with minimal distortion, and enough bass to clean the plaque out of your arteries. Using these speakers, you could use your laptop to rock a house party or could watch action movies until your ears bleed. (In a good way).

- The controls are handy. The right desktop speaker has the power button, volume, bass control, and headphone ports.

- Good stereo response for a 2.1 system. (THX certification means that the folks at THX agree, and they have better ears than I do, so I'll take their word for it.)

- You could hook this up to anything with an 3.5 mm (earphone) jack, or an RCA jack. While it seems to be mostly designed for computers or gaming systems, you could also plug it into a tv, dvd player, or even an MP3 player.

What could be better:

- This isn't a 5.1 (surround sound) system, so the stereo effects are going to sound the best when you're right between the two speakers. (I.e., in your computer chair.)

- The cables that run from the desktop speaker to the sub-woofer are a little short. I ended up drilling a hole in the back of my desk to cut down on the run length.
11 comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2011
I was all ready to spend up to five hundred dollars to buy Bose or Cambridge Works. I studied all the online reviews. A lot of people who seemed serious recommended the Logitech Z-2300 as being just as good. So I decided to buy that one since it is so much cheaper, but it seemed to be discontinued, and Amazon said that the Logitech Z623 is its "successor". One of my requirements is the low end frequencies. I like pipe organ music, and the pipe organ plays down to the bottom of human hearing. An eight foot C is about 65 Hz, so the sixteen foot is about 33 Hz and the 32 foot is about 16 Hz. Logitech advertises that the Z263 goes down to 31 Hz, the Cambridge is similar, and Bose does not release the information. So I bought the Z623 on sale from Best Buy and hooked it up.
There is a lot of talk in reviews about different ranges of hearing, and others talk about personal taste, but I use the "closed eyes" test. I listen to classical music, not artificial music, and I close my eyes and ask myself if it sounds as though an instrument is in the room with me. Does it sound as though there is a piano there, or a string quartet, or a pipe organ in the room with me?
I started with Bach's Passacaglia in C minor. It sounded to me as if I were in a recital hall with a pipe organ. I tried Sibelius Fifth Symphony, Rachmaninoff piano music, Brahms piano music, and various Mozart chamber music. I tried Mars by Holst, and piano concerti by Brahms and Rachmaninoff. I also tried vocal music by Palestrina and Josquin. When I close my eyes, I am unable to tell that I am listening to an IMac computer and speakers instead of live musicians. Some orchestral music sounds thin, but other recordings sound perfect, so I believe it is the recording that is at fault (or the compressed version on my computer) instead of the speakers. I haven't done a blind test, but from what I perceive, I don't think I could tell the difference between piano music on these speakers and the seven foot grand piano in my living room. In fact, when I opened my eyes after listening, I was always surprised by the desk, computer, and speakers sitting in front of me.
33 comments43 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I've spent the past three days attempting to find something that I don't like about these speakers. I've played every kind of music that I own (including spoken-word stuff), I've streamed video, I've streamed audio, I've checked nearly every single thing that I can consider. And yet, I'm still at the same place I was when I received them--they're the best computer speakers I've ever owned.

Pros:
1. Excellent controls: the big, easy-to-use knobs that regulate both the volume and the bass intensity are easy to use and very precise.
2. THX: the sound is very well-rounded, with crisp highs and lows that SOUND and don't just boom.
3. Responsive: when I've owned other computer speakers, there always seemed to be a delay from the main speakers to the subwoofer. No such problem here. The sound is very precise and clear regardless of music type.
4. Small blueprint: for the volume and amount of sound that you get from these, they don't take up much space at all.

Cons:
1. One of the desktop speakers put out a bit of hot air from around the control knobs...it's not that big of a deal, but it is noticeable.
2. The subwoofer is the primary speaker for most ports, which means that you can't really place it flat against a wall. And one of the speaker cords is a bit thick, so I can see how cord-invisible installation might be an issue.

And that's it. If you think the cons are minor, you're right. I'm not sure that I'd race out and replace one of my home theater systems with these if only because they're 2.1. But if you have a small space or don't really want a full-scale system, you'll probably love these even for televisions. For computers, however, they're fantastic. Highly recommended.
11 comment79 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse