Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

VINE VOICEon October 29, 2010
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: Purple/WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I expected an iron by Singer to be...a lightweight. I WAS SOOOOO wrong! I have a 1400-watt German-made Rowenta iron that has been my standard for a long time but I was BLOWN AWAY by the Singer. 1700 watts makes a difference!

The iron has a good, hefty feel. It has a digital readout that tells you the temp and type of fabric suitable for that amount of heat. It also suggests steam or not. It has a very quiet beep that indicates that the iron is up to temp. And it heats up FAST - less than a minute to the linen setting.

And HOT! Oh baby. Ironed 100% linen in nothing flat, one pass with steam, no heavy pressing necessary. The soleplate is stainless steel and was very smooth. It has a nice point - easy to get the corners and edges - and QUICK.

NO dribbling, spitting, sputtering. The water filling hole has a cover so you can't accidentally slop hot water all over your hands or project.

The phone rang. I left the iron at the board, answered, and came back. It had shut itself off, but when I turned it back on it remember the setting I'd left it on. More linen followed.

I ironed cotton. A breeze. Quilters, you would love this!

I give it a hearty recommendation for occasional or heavy-duty ironing. You will not waste time PRESSING and waiting for results. It is SO hot that it does the job for you.

Finally, even though I used a lot of steam the water didn't seem to go down very fast (compared to my Rowenta, which is a water hog).

77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2010
LCDs are so inexpensive these days that they are now on every other device. The LCD on this iron makes it kind of "cool" while giving you quick information about this iron's temperature settings. It shows vertical bars, numbers, as well as text to display the 9 different temperature levels. Each of these nine temperature levels are for different types of garments::

1. Acrylic
6. Wool
7. Cotton
8. Jeans/Denim
9. Linen

Not only does the LCD provide information about the temperature setting but it also has three indicators that let you know the status of 1) Steam, 2) Anti-Scale and 3) Auto-Off features.

Right under the LCD, it has two big buttons for steam: Left one for "Burst of Steam" and right one for "Cool Mist Spray". You can also use the "Burst of Steam" feature vertically if you are ironing clothes or suites that are hanging. The "Cool Mist Spray" simply sprays cold water from the front of the iron to your garment as you iron. The burst feature is great as it can really get those wrinkles out of those cotton shirts.

There is also a feature called "Anti-Scale". The built-in Anti-Scale cartridge is designed to reduce the buildup of mineral substances in the water which occurs during steam ironing.

I think this iron has some great auto-off features. This is a safety feature that will turn off the iron when it's left unattended for more than 8 minutes in vertical (standing) position. If the iron is left on its soleplate or tipped over, it will shut off after 30 seconds with an audio beep to alert you. While it's shutting down, the LCD will flash the "Auto-Off" symbol. To "wake" the iron up after it has been automatically shut off, simply move or gently shake it. Within 60-seconds after you wake it, it will be ready to iron at the same temperature setting it was set to previously.

This feature prevents dripping of water from the soleplate when it detects that the temperature is low.

Although it's a great iron, as with most things, this is also MADE IN CHINA, unlike some Rowenta irons that are made in Germany.
on January 20, 2011
I did a lot of research before choosing this iron. After all the time spent, I really wanted to like it!!
The pros: Not too light, not too heavy. Digital controls. Comfortable handle. Not as comfortable as my now deceased B&D 2020 because the top of the handle is flat rather than rounded, but reasonably comfortable nonetheless. Nicely balanced. Good shot of steam feature. Glides easily. Warms up to or decreases heat to chosen fabric temperature quickly and indicates when chosen temperature has been reached.
The cons: The iron dribbles water and leaks! I get random water spots on the clothes I am ironing then must take care not to scorch them. If I rest the iron on its heel and come back a few minutes later, there is water on the ironing board. Secondly, the steam function works when it wants to and doesn't work when it's not in the mood! One moment you are ironing along with great steam. Then on another part of the garment you are getting poor results only to realize that the iron has stopped steaming. Later it will start steaming again. It seems random. The cons far outweigh the pros and I hope that Amazon is going to accept a return even though the item is in fact opened and used. This is truly the worst iron I have ever used and I have lived long enough to have owned several!
One other point. The iron has an 8 foot cord. Because of the particular location where I iron, this is an annoyance. My old B&D had a 10 food cord. When researching irons however, I did notice that currently even the top of the line B&D has only an 8 foot cord. A con, but tolerable.
For the record - I did read the instructions and I did follow the necessary procedure for first use. Considering the fact that there are several good reviews, perhaps mine is a lemon and you will have better luck. I hate this iron.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2011
I freely admit that I am not an iron connoisseur, this is probably the third iron I've ever used. That said, I know how to iron, and I've been doing it for years. When using this iron however, I had the first ironing trouble I've ever really encountered.

The good:
A digital display temperture control.
Auto off that is position sensitive (turns off more quickly if lying flat and unused).
Swivel cord

The bad:
Leaks: Although this may be unique to the test unit I received, this iron leaks whenever their is water in there. Every time I put water in for the steam it comes pouring out of the bottom. This seems to occur whenever I set the iron upright or move it from upright back to the ironing position. Needless to say this makes ironing a real pain.
Steam on the handle: Another problem I hadn't encountered before. I'm not sure if this is because of the leak or something else, but when steam is set to medium or high, the scalding vapor seems to curl right up onto your hand. While this may not be a problem for quick ironing, if you have a large problem your hand starts to feel like a boiled lobster.

Conclusion: While the ironing does eventually get done, using this iron is a painful and elongated process that is, simply, not worth it.

Clarification on stars: although I hate justifying my ratings, I will explain. I gave this 3 stars instead of 1 star because I have a feeling that the leak may be unique to my specific iron. Moreover the excess steam could be from water leaking. Since I am not 100% convinced that these problems are endemic. If anybody else has a similar problem please post in comments so that I can adjust my review accordingly.

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2011
I've had it for a couple months and bought it because of the watts listed thinking it would be a powerful iron. It is a nice weight and holds lots of water. I like the settings too. I don't like that it constantly spits or drops water all over the clothes. I would normally iron them and put them away but the spots are so much I have to hang them to dry again. Also for some reason the steam stops. I have to turn it off and back on to get it to work again. All in all I hate ironing and this one makes it more frustrating. I'll probabaly get something different.
on November 1, 2010
We have been using a great T-Fal iron for the past year or so and are impressed enough by this Singer to put it away as our "back-up" iron. The Singer Expert Finish puts out a prodigious amount of steam. So much so, you may need to refill the reservoir if you have a lot of ironing to do. The little pour spout that has been provided for refilling is smartly designed and does the job without making a mess.

The digital display takes a little getting used to. Before you use this iron it is important that you read the directions and clean the iron of its factory finish before using it. The finish that burned off our iron left a brownish stain on the heating element but we were able to clean this off enough to ensure that it didn't transfer to our clothing. Once properly primed for use, the iron glides lightly over your garments. The many different settings/options will make a dent in the time it takes to do your ironing once you've created a new workflow based on the types of fabrics you're ironing. With 1700 Watts, this iron provides the correct heat and enough steam to tackle even the most delicate ironing tasks.

Singer is evidently closely associated with Martha Stewart. There were a couple of different Martha Stewart inserts packed in the box to include an offer for a free year subscription for Martha Stewart Living Magazine as well as a booklet on garment care (which required product registration). As I associate "good things" with the Martha Stewart brand, this co-marketing alliance makes sense to me.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
After trying 2 different Rowenta irons and finding they leaked and spit all over my ironing, I decided to try this Singer.
The first one leaked and spit. However, my perusal of the reviews demonstrated that I had approximately a 75 % chance of getting a correctly functioning one. So I returned the faulty one. Amazon had a great price on this iron to start and replaced it at no additional cost to me. Very nice deal! It works better if you don't fill it to the max line and don't slosh the water around. Allow it to start steaming in the ironing position off of the item to be pressed, so if it does spit it isn't in contact with your item. My old Sunbeam no drip iron performs better but the digitals are turning the heat up or shutting the iron off while in use.

Update on this iron's performance 2/1/2013
After only four uses, this iron began to spit and leak spotting and streaking the fabric. It is supposed to be able to steam even on a cool blend setting, but it was malfunctioning even on the highest setting. I'm very disappointed. I'll just have to go back to dry ironing. Don't risk buying this iron.
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2011
There are lots of good things to like about the SINGER Expert Finish 1700 watt steam iron:
- lightweight, making it easy to maneuver in different fabrics and ironing challenges
- 1700watts of ironing power
- burst of steam that really works
- anti-drip especially at lower temperatures
- anti calcifying system for hard water
- large water reservoir

There are also some annoying things about this iron:
- like other (cheaper) irons, the opening for the water fill is small, so you have to fill it VERY slowly (using the included fill cup) or the water will just run out
- the digital controls take some getting used to (although this seems to be the latest "gadget" for new irons)

But, I have to say, in (literally) side-by-side comparison ironing on the same clothing between the SINGER Expert Finish 1700 and my 2-year-old German-built Rowenta Professional, the Singer fails to come close:
- significantly weaker burst of steam - my Rowenta has 2x the steam openings in its soleplate, and you can see and feel the difference
- soleplate in the Singer doesn't glide nearly as freely across fabrics, even though both are stainless steel

Compared to my Rowenta, this Singer only offers one advantage - it's lighter. In every ironing task that I gave it (iron half the garment with the Singer, the other half with my Rowenta), the Singer took at least 1/3 longer to achieve the same results. I found myself making several passes over the same (wrinkled) areas that ironed beautifully in the first pass on the Rowenta.

Considering the prices are roughly equivalent, I can't recommend this iron, although it has some strong product placement / endorsements.

FYI - not all Rowenta irons are the same, either! My 2-year-old Rowenta Professional was made in Germany and has had flawless reliability. I have heard major problems with some newer Rowenta models now being built in China.
on January 16, 2013
I originally purchased my Singer Expert Finish 1700 after reading Consumer Reports ratings (which I usually trust). At first, the iron performed satisfactorily, but that changed in a moment. Out of the blue around 5 months after it was purchased, the iron started smoking profusely, then, the outside housing started to bubble up from the tremendous heat. We immediately rushed it outside so that it would not ignite anything in the house.

This was just the start of my issues with Singer. In addition to wanting to let Singer know of this hazard asap, I also wanted to get my unit replaced or refunded. After completing their on-line customer service form, I waited 3 weeks and still did not get a reply. I then called the 800 number and after moving in the queue from caller #22 to #20 in 30 minutes, I then hung up as I did not want to wait literally all day on the phone. Then, not knowing what else to do, I contacted them via Facebook where they promptly wrote back to me confirming the back log in customer service inquiries and that I should send an email to another place and that somebody will get back to me right away. I sent the email as instructed, but unfortunately, I still have not heard back from Singer.

You would think that if a customer raises the alarm of such a serious issue, any reputable company would take the report very seriously, and of course, send a replacement out immediately. Singer brags that they were founded in 1851, but, with their recent issues, they are now certainly a brand that cannot be trusted.

If you still elect to purchase this item, use extreme caution and good luck in getting Singer to stand behind their hazardous products.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2010
I'd rank ironing dead last in my list of chores I don't mind doing, which is why I try to get away using dewrinkle sprays when I can. Works fine for T-shirts and jeans on weekends, but I have professional office job, and that means a certain amount of necessary ironing.

I won't say the Singer Expert Finish steam iron is the Xbox of irons that has suddenly made the task a positive joy, but replacing a bulky iron and one of those "as-seen-on-TV" steam appliances, Expert Finish at least makes the job easier and less distasteful.

Light, powerful, and highly manuverable (thanks in large part to a swivel ball where the cord attaches to the iron), Expert Finish makes quick, relatively painless work of normal ironing jobs. The unusual lip at the edge of the iron surface means seams and pleats are easier to get at. And both horizontally and vertically, the iron is capable of producing great gusts of wrinkle-smoothing steam.

Expert Finish is a unique powerhouse of an iron perfect for people who don't fancy ironing as a hobby or craft, but something to be done as well as possible, as easily as possible.