Top positive review
265 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2011
I want to first point out that THIS PISTOL IS NOT A TOY by any means. It's an adult air pistol and shoots 450 fps with GAMO PBA alloy pellets (though I wouldn't recommend shooting these if you want consistent accuracy#. I stress this because recently in my area a guy pulled an air pistol on an officer, needless to say the guy who pulled the pistol is no longer with us. NEVER carry something like this in public or in your car and never at a police officer. Some states or areas or states even prohibit air guns so check your local laws before you order. With that out the way.....
This gun feels and looks like the real deal. If I was compare it to a "real gun" I would say it's very similar to the Sig or Springfield .45 in aesthetics only. From barrel to butt end it's 7.75". The barrel is rifled #which helps with it's accuracy# and is 4.49". It does have a metal slide and can be fired in single or double action, which I particularly like. The safety can be a little bit of a hassle to disengage but after a while you get used to it. I primarily use this pistol for target shooting in my basement. I have the GAMO pellet trap and targets and from 20ft it's right on target. Once you get to around 30 feet your hits get a little low because of drop. I would not shoot this pistol beyond 30 ft. It doesn't have the FPS or velocity for greater distances.
The magazine itself is great. It's a 8 shot dual mag, which means you shoot 8 pellets, release the mag, flip it around and you have 8 more shots. The magazine can only slide in one way so that is a great safety feature and prevents misuse. When loading the pellets, be sure to properly seat them in the chamber, they must be flush in the chamber or you could damage the pistol or potential misfire/jam it. The CO2 cartridges are extremely easy to install compared to some other pellet pistols I've tried. I would purchase the pellgunoil as well. You put a couple drops on the top of each CO2 cartridge before you install it. This helps with the guns longevity and prevents seal leakage or seal failure.
The blowback feature on this gun is great. It simulates firing an actual gun but without the sharp recoil from let's say a .40 S&W or .45 ACP. But there is some recoil. It's great for someone who is just learning how to shoot a handgun before actually shooting a "real" handgun. In fact I'm teaching my brother how to shoot this gun because he's applying for his pistol permit soon. He was pretty surprised the first time he shot it. More startled I would say. I also know a few police officers who use this pistol regularly to keep their accuracy consistent and it also helps save expensive ammo in the process.
I also purchased the Walther FLR 650 laser/light combo which mounts under the pistol in the picatinny rail. The combination of the two puts this pistol far ahead of a lot of my other air pistols. I can put dime groups at 25ft consistently.
I've used a few different types of ammo for this pistol. Crosman pointed premium lead pellets #.177 field tips#, Predator polymag premium field hunting pellets and Crosman Destroyer hollow points #.177#. I must say this pistol really likes the destroyer pellets. I got my most consistent groups with this pellet. Each pellet was fired at 10, 20, 25 and 30 feet. I used approximately 10 CO2 - 12 gram cartridges for this. Each CO2 cartridge will give you approximately 32-40 shots #4-5 clips# before you start to see a decline in velocity. You can both hear the difference and see your penetration hits diminish when you are running low on CO2.
In closing here are the pro's and cons of the air pistol:
- SA/DA flexibility
- Extremely accurate out of the box with iron or laser sites.
- Realistic blowback feature
- Dual magazine allows for easy reloads and give you more shots #magazines not available yet, contacted GAMO is they said "We are only selling extra magazines for the PT-85 through our website, please check back in 4-6 weeks".
- Extremely close in weight, size and appearance to an actual firearm #this can be a pro and a con#.
- Excellent FPS for a blowback pistol.
- Under mount Picatinny rail allows countless accessories #lights, lasers, light/laser combos, etc.#
- Metal slide
- Easily sits into many .45 or .40 caliber tactical or paddle type holsters.
- Pistol has a two stage trigger #for safety reasons#. The first time you shoot it you'll hear a "click", that is the first stage and the gun does not fire. DO NOT at this stage looks into the barrel and wonder why it didn't fire. I say this because I've seen people do this with a live air pistol. The second stage is when the pistol actually fires. I am so used to the pistol now I press through the first stage and am ready to pull slow and smooth and the second stage.
- CO2 is used quite a bit due to the blowback feature of this pistol thus you do not get adequate longevity from each cartridge.
- I cannot get it back from my brother?
Some safety tips:
- Always point the gun in a safe direction #loaded or unloaded#
- Engage the safety after each shot unless you are in using continuous fire mode.
- Never point at a person or animal
- Always unload CO2 from gun after use #or you can damage the seal#
- Store the gun in a locked gun safe or equivalent with a trigger guard on it.
- Wear eye protection #highly recommended# and ear protection though it's not needed for this pistol, but doesn't hurt.
- Think first, shoot second.
- Know your target and what's behind it. #Use a pellet trap that accepts bb's, lead, and polymer pellets#
- Do not allow anyone under the age of 18 shoot this pistol without adult supervision!
- Have FUN and BE SAFE!