Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 21, 2011
I'd agree with the other reviews- I got the game for my 6 year old nephew and he loves it. (He also loves the lego games.) He played it pretty much straight through over the course of 3-5 days and I had to drag him away from it. Now that he's 'won', he still goes back and plays levels over again. There's a nice mix of heroes and a lot of humor. Younger kids who like superheros should enjoy this one.
on April 23, 2011
My 6 year old daughter is starting to get into super heroes and has become a big fan of the Super Hero Squad show. When she saw this game she begged to pick it up for us to play together. It plays very similar to the Lego titles in that you have a variety of characters with different powers going through levels collecting Infinity Gems and some other collectibles. You can also revisit levels with new heroes in free play mode to get some collectibles that you can get only with heroes who have certain abilities. The humor of the show is present, so if that is a turn off look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a light hearted game with Marvel Heroes or something to play with your kids, it's worth a look.

Also: Be sure to buy it new as the game includes a code for Captain America as DLC.
on April 11, 2012
My 4 year-old son has recently been getting into video games so I've been purchasing some that I think he'd be interested in. I think the game is decent but he LOVES it.

You can play 2-players in the story mode or up to 4-players in the "challenge" mode. Story mode is just what it sounds like; you and another super hero progress through several levels in an attempt to stop the evil Dr. Doom and Thanos. If another player isn't present then the computer will control the extra hero, but you can swap between the two with the press of a button. The game isn't overly complex and is more a button masher, but each hero has a special ability that allows them to interact with the environment and these can be a little tricky for my son (but keep in mind he's 4). These special abilities can be as simple as just pushing a button to smash a huge obstacle out the way (Hulk, She-Hulk) or as complex as hacking a computer (Iron Man, Black Widow, Red Skull) by timing button presses to line up circuits. If my son was playing by himself there would be no way he be able to do some of these, but overall he handles himself fairly well in the game.

Each level in story mode will start you in control of two heroes, but after you beat the game you unlock "freeplay" mode where you can play through levels you've already beaten with the hero of your choice. This adds a lot of replay to the game since there are hidden areas that can't be accessed with the default characters of the levels. Also, each character has what's called "heroic feats" which are in-game challenges that will unlock an alternate costume. Very cool for comic fans!

The challenge mode are several small arena type levels in which you compete against other players for the highest score (even though they're obviously meant to be played with several players you can attempt them solo). Since this mode is more competitive in nature, you can hit each other. My son and I took more of the cooperative approach in this mode, but we still found ourselves hitting each other on accident at times. This mode is okay, but replaying the story mode in freeplay was a little more enjoyable.

Playable characters - Iron Man, Black Widow, Hulk, She-hulk, Thor, Nova, Wolverine, Reptil, Falcon, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Invisible Woman, Spider-man

There is DLC (downloadable content) for several character packs. My copy of the game came with one that gave us access to Captain America, Bucky, and Red Skull. We later bought another pack for $5 that gave us Dr. Doom and Abomination. There's one more pack available for $5 that we haven't purchased yet that contains Thanos. These characters come with their own "heroic feats" challenges and alternate costumes.

I was a little baffled at the difficulty of the game. Its not really difficult at all, but I put the game on "easy" since my son was playing and there were parts that we could not get past when playing together. I figured the enemies would hardly touch us but that thought was proved wrong; the last few levels I had to finish by myself to unlock the freeplay mode (which is where we had the most fun). The difficulty wouldn't have been much of an issue if he had another year or two under his belt.

If the game didn't have all the replay value I would have given it a 3 star rating, but its hard to not appreciate the extras. Overall, I give the game a solid 4 stars, with the fun-factor weighing in around a 3.5
on December 27, 2010
I purchased this game in order to play a cooperative game with my 7 year old son. It's very similar in game play to the Lego games. We are having a good time with it. It's not going to be a good fit for older players looking for a challenge, but it's a fun little diversion and it is priced right.
on November 23, 2015
I've never been much of a fan of the Super Hero Squad TV show, though my kids do like it. I find it pretty annoying. I don't like how the dumb down the characters and how every joke is just someone saying a line in a silly voice. Perhaps I have a higher opinion of kids' intelligence than the shows creators.

That said, the game is more of the same, but with a lot of poorly-crafted annoyances. For example, when you're playing in story mode, you can't skip the little cutscenes that take place throughout the levels. In an early one, before you fight Hercules, who is a boss, there's a 60-second cutscene that plays every time. I was playing with my four-year-old son, who obviously isn't great at games yet, and we had to redo it a few times before we defeated Herc. We had to watch that whole cutscene at least four times. It was incredible annoying, especially since the dialogue is pretty dumb as well.

Overall, the game is okay, but it's not comparison to the Lego Marvel Superheroes game, or even the Lego Batman ones. At least in those games the dialogue is written for people with functioning brains.
on January 4, 2012
This game in my opinion is based for on younger kids age but, it was even a little difficult for me and my husband to defeat the bosses on it. My boys are 4 and 6 and they love the game. I just wish they would have made the boss fights a bit easier for kids.
on March 30, 2015
NO CAPTAIN AMERICA IN THE GAME! I seriously don't get how you can leave out one of the greatest Marvel icons ever! He's in the show! The games being sold here come with a redeem code for a Captain America download- including 3 playable characters, but Xbox 360 removed it so it's impossible now! Other than that this is much like the last one and that's good enough for me. Fun but not perfect. Good for fans of the series, curious Marvel comics fans, and okay for kids. I may edit this when I finish the game.
on January 16, 2013
We bought this game specifically because it was 4 player, and we need more games that our 6-year-old son could play when he had more than one friend over. Most of his games are Lego games, and I don't understand why none of them are 4 player. He really loves this game. It's super cute and funny, just like the Super Hero Squad show. He "beat" the game relatively quickly, I'm sure he didn't complete it 100% though, and he loves playing levels many times. He was also really pleased that the game came with a Captain America character download. This is one of our favorite games, especially for the 4 player option!
on January 24, 2013
My young son loves Super Hero Squad and I though this game would be great for him. He does love playing this game from time to time but i sometimes join/help and can say this game sucks. Yes your young child will have a blast playing as a super hero and running around each stage but the actual game play is sub par and monotonous. Its pretty boring once you get into it and some parts are mind numbing. Really feels like one of those movie games where they slap something together to release with a major motion picture that ends up being mediocre at best.

I am not saying your child wont like this game. As I said my son does play it from time to time. But if you have a choice, try Lego Batman 2 which has a great story, fantastic voice acting and incredible gameplay. Even adults will enjoy that game even if that means you are just watching or participating.

And just FYI, in the future, if you are stuck int eh Marvel Universe, there is supposed to be a Lego Marvel Heros coming out Fall 2013 which I imagine will have the same top quality production value the Lego Batman 2 had.
on March 16, 2013
Bought this game for my 4yr old son but quickly found out that it was a little tough for him at the boss levels. He can go through most of the level but needs our help with the bosses. Other than that, it's a great game and he has a blast playing it