Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Color: White|Change

on February 24, 2012
This compost bin is comparatively affordable, virtually unbreakable, and addresses issues you wouldn't necessarily even think of until you used a lesser product for some time, (like a gallon-size potato-salad container with a tight fitting lid).

To wit, the inside surface is seamless and the walls join the floor in a curve, so very little matter get's stuck in the bottom and it rinses easier. The tab on the front edge of the hinged lid allow you to add to and dump the contents without touching a surface containing waste. The lid's hinge permits the lid to travel past 180 degrees and sticks in place at it's full travel for dumping. The seal of the lid is loose, so you don't run a risk of splashing or flinging gunk when you open it. The lid is also removable at the hinge, so getting the pail and lid under the faucet for rinsing is eased. I've found the shape of the pail to be ideal for fitting under my sink while having a relatively small footprint. Lastly, the handle is adequate for even a child to use.

I was initially suspicious of the lack of venting or a filter for odors, but if you empty the pail at the end of the day, it never smells, so save your dough and pass on the expensive stainless steel products.

I'm extremely critical of product design. This is how products should be made, and while $20 might seem like a lot to pay for potato-peel pail, you really get what you pay for.

Edit, 2013-06-13: I've seen this product selling for two-to-five times retail price. If you're paying more than $19.99 for US domestic purchase, you might be getting swindled.
2323 comments|425 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2013
Have to say when the box arrived I thought this was going to be a waste.

Turns out its fine for my daily coffee grounds, banana peels, etc. and takes up much less space than the ginormous pot I had been using.

It's not an 'air tight' seal like a gasket would provide but the ring of the lid is complete (no gaps) and it fits snugly when closed. Not sure if an ant could even get inside but time will tell.

All in all, I like it.

ps

I added some pics for scale

7/16/13

Just noticed my pics are gone, not sure why. Added them back. Let's see if they stay this time.
33 comments|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
I'm really happy with this compost pail. The size is great for my family of 3 (I empty it at least every other day) and it looks nice enough to have out on the counter. The removable lid makes it very easy to dump stuff in our compost bin and it rinses clean easily. My lid is white, not clear as in the picture, which I'm happy about. I've put coffee grounds and other strong smelling items in this container and it holds the odor in pretty well. This is a huge step up from the old coffee can I had been using.

UPDATE: After a couple of years of regular use, the handle broke off our compost pail. I debated and debated and ended up replacing my OXO pail with a stainless steel one. Hopefully this new pail will last for many years. I lowered my rating to 4 stars. If only it had lasted longer.
55 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
Have owned this for just over a month now and have to say--having owned other OXO items--this doesn't disappoint, either. Very durable; have dropped it on the hard tile floor more than once. No cracks and still looks as it did when shipped. Has about a gallon capacity; interior very easy to clean and lid also easy to remove/replace when hauling the countertop compost out to the main bin in the yard.

Am a bit confused as to a couple of low-star reviews here concerning the fact that this has no ventilation holes. It doesn't--but why on earth would you want them? This piece is meant to store your food scraps on your countertop until you can get them out to the yard compost bin--NOT be your main composter. Ventilation holes on this would result in vegetation decay odors in your kitchen. The design of this successfully keeps them contained to the bin.

We're an empty nest couple eating clean--the quantity of fruit and veggie scraps ( and the amount of coffee I drink: grounds and filters can go in here, too) dictates generally one day's storage in this before it's full enough to take outside. If you're a family of four or more eating a lot of fresh produce, you may see yourself sending one of the kids out twice a day to dump it. That's the only drawback--but if had been made any larger, it wouldn't be the perfectly compact countertop size it is.

Love this.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2011
I was looking for a kitchen compost pail to store peels and cores and other kitchen waste to take out to my compost bin nightly, or every other night, without investing in pricey bags and filters to line what is essentially a bucket. The OXO Good Grips Compost bin appealed to me because it's very simple: it stores your compostable kitchen waste on the counter or under the sink for up to a few days before taking it out to the compost bin. It's got a handle, a flip-up lid that stays up, and the inner surface is smooth, rounded plastic, allowing for super-easy rinsing. The only improvement I would make would be for the lid to snap shut. I couldn't see that in the Amazon photo, but took a shot and ordered it anyway. I don't regret it, because even though it doesn't snap shut we have not had any problem with pests getting into the bucket (or even being attracted to it. We have had no bugs attracted to the bin, even when it contained a couple days' worth of strawberry bits). It's a very servicable product, and nice and innocuous looking enough to sit out on the counter if you choose. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase and there are no negatives. (Note: As another reviewer commented, the lid is NOT clear as pictured. It is white)
0Comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2011
Been looking for a basic but attractive compost bucket to put on my kitchen counter. It's unbreakable and easy to clean. Good price too.
on April 18, 2012
This is a good compost bin for the money. We keep a compost bucket on our counter by the sink for all our vegetable scraps. For many years we had a lovely ceramic one, but one day a cup was dropped and that was that. We considered getting another ceramic bin, but thought we would try the OXO plastic one as we have generally had good luck with OXO. While this is not the most lovely compost bin, it is very serviceable and durable. The lid removes for trips out to the garden compost pile and the bucket is easy to get clean and odor free. While I wish it had some prettier colors, functionally it is excellent and a great value for the price. If it was more attractive I would give it 5 stars.
on November 3, 2011
We collect our waste to deposit it every day, so this size is a pretty good one for our family. The lid comes off easily when needed but not otherwise; the hinged lid means that replacing it after each use is natural. Love the sturdy handle as well. After experimenting with ceramic (breaks) and metal (rusts), plastic is a good option to sit in our sink and allow for good cleaning and no smell (thanks to the lid, but it also doesn't smell inside the plastic bin). I would love a slightly bigger bin size but I also like that it sinks below the level of the countertop inside the sink so that's the tradeoff. Good, durable product.
on October 22, 2012
The OXO Good Grips Compost Bin is a perfect size for the counter and I'm happy with the look. I only have one complaint: The compost bin attracts fruit flies like crazy! One banana peal added to the bin, and 20 minutes later the bin is covered with fruit flies, inside and out. I would wash the bin every evening after emptying, but by then my kitchen is full of the little stinkers. I have to empty it constantly, which makes having a bin inside completely useless. I'm not going to return it because I've used it for a few weeks, but I will be looking for something that has a better sealing/closing lid to keep fruit flies looking elsewhere for a treat.
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2011
I was considering a stainless compost container, but the feedback was not great. The OXO container was priced well and after using it for two weeks it does what it was purchased for. It fits well on the counter top, in the side sink, or in the cabinet under the sink. The top does not have a seal, but I have not noticed any odors (July may be different), but we tend to empty the container every other day. It washes out well as we put coffee grounds in it along with the vegetable peelings. The top stays up when fully opened, which can be useful when your hands are full.