Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on bgg

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" is an outstanding choice for people who want a high-quality recumbent bike, but are not interested in the additional feature and functionality of bikes that 3-4x more expensive. This is an important consideration when deciding if this is the right recumbent bike for you and your family. As a point of contract I am including a brief segment on the Catseye recumbent bike for contrast - this is not to bemoan the lack of features in the "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" but to illustrate the comprises that you be making.

A few points on the Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike

- Assembly - Not too bad and can easily be done by one person in less than one hour. My main complaint is that the directions are not a s clear as desired. The directions are missing any diagram of the bolts that are to be used, which causes some guesswork during assembly. It would also be nice if they would have had stickers on the pieces to correspond to the pieces labeled in the directions.

- Features - The features on the control pad are more than adequate - the control pad registers heart rate, rpms/speed, calories, time, and distance. What it is missing (and found in the much more expensive machines) are programs for various distances and inclines. The bike itself *only* uses a screw type resistance system - meaning if you want more resistance in the bike you turn the nob to the right, less resistance you turn the nob to the left. Many of the more expensive bikes have electronic resistance adjustments. This gives you the ability to have variable resistance (like going up and down hill) while riding... they then incorporate this into programs to help simulate terrain. This can be done on the "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" but it must be done manually - you must reach down and turn the nob.

- Performance - The main attraction to the "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" is the smooth ride. I have ridden way too many (most in fact) recumbent bikes that have a herky-jerky peddling action. This puts undue stress on my knees and has caused me to switch bikes (at the gym) numerous times. I am happy to say that the "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" has a very smooth pedaling motion. If I was to guess I would say this due to the absence of electronic adjustments in the resistance of the machine.

- Storage/look - The "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" has a nice look, the front control pad can fold down for storage, and there are two wheels on the front of the machine. Overall weight is about 75lbs so it possible to move the bike without calling neighbors for help.

- Comfort - Some disagreement between me and my wife. She finds the spacing between the seat and back pad to be too large and uncomfortable. I do not have any issues with this spacing and find the bike very comfortable. The mechanism for adjusting the seat's distance from the pedal (so that the bike can adjust to your height) is a little too loose for my liking, but not terrible.

- Durability/Quality - the magnetic drive has a slight squeak but it is not too bad... yet. The frame seems to be well-built and does not fit together "Sloppy" likes some of the cheap recumbent bikes you see at discount stores. To me that is the big difference between this recumbent bikes and other low priced models - the "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" seems to be well-built.

Final Verdict - The "Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike" is probably the perfect recumbent bike for someone who either wants to add cycling as part of their fitness routine or someone who wants an entry model to see if riding a recumbent bike is right for them. This model provides a great value in terms of performance and quality. Hard core bike enthusiast may want to select a more expensive model since they may become bored by the lack programmability and additional features.

4 ½ Stars
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Velocity Fitness Recumbent Bike is a great tool to help build stamina, release stress, and increase physical fitness. It's got a great orange accent to it, that makes it pop out visually, especially when it's put next to the typical gray, tan, and blacks of most other exercise equipment. It's quiet and does what it's supposed to do very efficiently.

I've recently become more interested in strength training and in increasing my aerobic stamina. I own an elliptical machine and while it is very low impact, my posture (or the lack thereof from using the handles) and my upper body weight occasionally causes issues with my back and knees. The joint pain I get in my legs after doing high intensity training (do a search for HIIT, if interested) on the elliptical can be intense and it makes it hard to stick with my goal of working out the following day.

The Velocity Recumbent bike makes those problems vanish! First, your body weight is being supported by the seat and the back rest, taking any strain off your knees and ankles. The leg muscles and your lower abs are doing all the work in a very low impact process. Your posture is corrected because you're pushing away from your body with your legs, causing your to sit back with more natural posture than you'd have leaning forward on an elliptical or treadmill. The end result is a great leg and aerobic workout, with little or no strain on your back or leg joints.

Putting the bike was a breeze and couldn't have taken more than 30-45 minutes; most of that was just aligning things and tightening screws. As another reviewer mentioned, the directions don't include a bolt size diagram, so it takes a little bit of detective work to pick the right bolt/screw, but it was all pretty obvious once it started to come together.

The only issue I had with my bike was a long, very faint, hairline crack on one side of the plastic on the main body of the bike. I believe this was a shipping issue and not a manufacturing issue. The crack is barely noticeable (my wife and had to lean in pretty close and have me point it out to her, before she could see it) and doesn't affect the function of the bike in anyway.

Here's my quick breakdown:

* Manual tension (see pros below) - As the bike isn't computer controlled it is not programmable to mimic riding up and down hills or slowly increasing or decreasing the tension at a fixed rate. The tension control is easy to reach and easy to adjust, so it's not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

* Seat adjustment - The seat slides forwards and backwards over a very impressive distance, allowing for just about anyone of any height to find it comfortable to sit on the bike. The problem is that the lever-like brake that locks the seat in place needs to be pushed down really hard to get the seat to stay in position. Again, this isn't a deal breaker but it might have been nice if there was a better locking mechanism, like a spring loaded lock that snaps into place every few inches.

* LCD Control Pad - Unfortunately, there's no Start/Stop button on the info panel, which features your calories and elapsed time. The timer will start and stop based on pedal motion, but it feels counter intuitive to me for some reason. I also had some issues with just changing some numbers or settings, without having to reset the entire group of settings and starting over. Getting things set up to workout feels cumbersome, but I'm sure I'll crack and read the manual soon.

* Quiet - You could watch TV with someone else in the room and your breathing would probably be louder than the bike, this thing is quiet!

* Manual tension - There's a manual control for the tension, so there's no wasted electricity and this can be used anywhere without power consumption making it great for garages. Since there are no electronics/computers controlling the tension or the bike, you can expect the device to last much longer and not have to worry about not being able to use the machine if there's an electronic glitch that prevents the machine from operating.

* Low impact - As discussed above it makes working out and recovery a lot more enjoyable.

* Seated - Because you're seated your hands are free to do other things, like reading or simultaneously lifting weights. I'd probably recommend against breast feeding, knife sharpening, or knitting.

* No cheating - On the third or fourth use I realized that when the pedals stop for more than 15-20 seconds, the timer stops and doesn't restart until you begin to pedal again. In a way this is good since you know you did your full workout, but if you're like me and need to stop to catch your breath while waiting for the timer to drop down to your next set of sprints, it doesn't allow you to "cheat" as it were. You're moving for the full time of your work out, whether you want to or not -- if you want the timer to move, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

LCD Display - The panel itself looks small, but the info is displayed in a huge font that you can see across the room. There will be no squinting, only sweating!

Overall, if you're looking to invest in your health I would strongly encourage you to give the Velocity Fitness Recumbent Bike a test ride if you can. It think it's a great product and I've already incorporated into my workouts with great success.
on February 23, 2012
So I got this after a disaster of a purchase Stamina 4825 Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Bike. This bike is made of better materials and has some features that are valuable to me. First this bike has a seat that moves easily so you can switch the leg length easily; so more than one person can use the bike. Second, the materials are generally better quality including the seat, the pedal arms, the moveable display. Unfortunately this bike was scratched badly on the side, cosmetic, but you like something new to look good.

I was surprised that is was harder to assemble and the fit was poor on the seat attachments. The instructions a very poorly done. In addition there was a screw missing. Three adults working together for an hour to finally attach the seat. The rest was 10 minutes, and trivial to do. All the tools (allen wrenches, wrench) needed were included but I used my own crescent wrench rather than the included tool. There were several sizes of screws and no indication of a way to identify the particular screw for a particular step. I suggest you attach the seat rails loosely to the frame, then attach the seat to the rails, then tighten the rails. I used the larger of the small screws to attach the rails and the smaller of the small screws to attach the seat to the rails.

This bike has resistance only in the forward direction, I wish one of the reviews had told me that. I was hoping alternate directions to work different muscles. The seat is a little higher than the Stamina bike and the resistance seems lower at the low numbers. I used the 2 on Stamina and 2 on this bike is easier. With only 8 settings this may become a problem. This bike is exceptionally quiet during use, which is so nice if you want to multitask. I read my with my kindle but it would be great with tv or music, or for someone who just enjoys quiet. The seat adjusting mechanism did loosen and I had to reposition during use, but it was easy, and I don't think it is risky in any way, more like an annoyance.

I got the Canopy protection and they contacted me right away to let me know they stand behind the purchase, hopefully I will not need it.

After putting it together I wish I had gotten the Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike; I was wanting more for my hard earned cash. But I will give it a go, and hopefully remember to give an update in a couple of months.

I got a request to update so here it is: Dec 19th 2012 I am glad I got the bike. The seat does come loose during use but it has not stopped us from using it. No additional problems have developed. I think that if you are happy with the features and limitations discussed you will be happy over the long term with the bike. I have not needed the Canopy Protection and I do not expect to ever need it.

Another update Dec 16 2014: two more years and this bike is performing well. So well I am going to raise the rating from 3 to four. I had forgotten all the things I wrote about putting the bike together! But that was a one time problem, they bike still works well, the seat still loosens, but it is not a big deal. If it were not for the seat I would give this bike five stars. The bike is still very quiet. I am very happy with this bike.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2010
I bought this bike because i wanted to start working out in the comfort of my own home. The bike was easy to assemble. Its very quiet which allows me to watch tv or read while im workng out. The stride is very smooth and there are several levels of resistance. The seats made of thick foam and very comfortable. I love the color of the bike as well. Overall, this bike is a good value for the price. I would recommed this to anyone looking for a good, quality bike at an affortable price.
on November 12, 2011
I wanted to wait to add my review until I'd had this bike for a while and really had a chance to get a feel for it. The delivery was indeed in 2 days, and the bike was packaged superbly. Putting it together took slightly longer than I had hoped - just about two hours. The main piece was quite heavy to have to lift when attaching the front and back floor bars, and I found it tough to do alone. My son and husband both arrived home after about 90 minutes, though, and after trial and error on the seat brackets (no directions, pictures only and they were a challenge to identify at their size) we were soon up and pedaling.

The bike is fantastic, quiet and very comfortable. It's solid and very well built, and I've averaged 4-5 days each week for just over two months now, and I've had no problems in that time. The larger seat is a real plus, and the bike has a great digital display that's easy to program and read. While I doubt I could ever say that I love a piece of exercise equipment (for me, it's one of those necessary evils, not something I look forward to and enjoy) this one really does make it easier than any I've ever used. It's strong and tough, pretty to look at, quiet and effective. I reviewed several before I made the purchase, and I am happy I spent a little more money for this Velocity Recumbent Bike - I recommend it highly.
on June 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We put this in my living room in front of the TV. It is completely silent. Seat is comfortable for the first 30 minutes or so, like any bike but my butt gets numb after that. My kids have been able to use it as the seat adjusts a fair distance. My only complaint is I wished I could get the tension a bit higher. The display is easy to see and controls are very easy to figure out. My 15 and 11 year old daughters assembled this in less then 30 minutes.
Fairly comfortable seat
Easily adjustable seat
Display is easy to see
Display Controls are easy to use
Easy to move
Very Quiet
Safe to use around small kids and pets as no pinch points
Not able get tension high enough
on February 25, 2012
I am not an exercise buff with a lot of experience with various machines. We just wanted something for a cardio workout that is easy on the joints and knees of 60 year olds. This works great and is so quiet that I can use it right next to my husband watching TV. Very pleased with everything about it.
on May 10, 2013
I purchased this product to help me rehabilitate (physical therapy) from a stroke. I regularly do about 50 miles a week. So far everything is fine with the bike no problems except with assembly. After the first couple of uses the handle feature for monitoring heart rate came loose and had to be retightened. The instructions, as others have noted, leave a little to be desired. The description of the hardware and where they go leaves you wondering what goes in what hole. There is no picture or description of each screw or bolt which I think would be helpful. The display is adequate for PT and only indicates key items necessary to monitor your exercise period. the magnetic tension control has setting of 1 thru 8 and easily clicks into place to ensure the load level you want. The operation of the pedals is smooth and not jerky. this is an all around work out bike with none of the frills that the more expensive bikes have. You get what you pay for, and for the dollar it's perfect! 11 month review. So far so good. the only issue that has come up so far is with the tension on the petal bearings which is an easy fix. If you start to notice a clunk when pedaling you need to take the top cover off. There you will find a jam nut on the left side of the belt shive. It provides preload on the bearings and had tendencies to back off. All you have to do is tighten the preload on the bearings and the problem goes away. You may want to put a dab of Loctite blue thread locker on the threads to keep it from backing off again. Other than that no other issues have arise.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I first unpacked the Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike, I thought I wasn't going to like it because the price was so cheap, I imagined it would be all plastics without many features. When I started putting it together, I quickly realized that wasn't the case. The bike arrived in great condition, and was packed well. Individual parts were wrapped in bubble tape and it was unlikely this bike could be easily damaged in transit. Actual installation time took about 45 minutes, and was very easy. The bike is mostly metal, so once put together, you need to find a spot in your house and leave it there, because it is not easy to move. I sometimes move it into the center of my room in front of the TV and then back to the corner, but that is only because I am ridiculously strong from so many hours spent cycling on the bike. After installing everything, it took about 10 minutes to program the display controls and get everything the way I wanted it. It's very evident though that the bike was not produced in an English-speaking country, as the instructions were filled with grammatical mistakes. I don't understand why companies like this can't just give their manuals to a native-speaker for the language they're using and have them proofread it.

The controls do take some getting used to, but I had it down after about 15 minutes of actual use on the bike. At first I was worried because I couldn't find a shutoff switch for the display, and couldn't figure out how to turn the thing off, and was worried I would run down the AA batteries. Then I realized that the display doesn't shut off, and just stays on all the time, to display the temperature/time. Two months after receiving the product however, the batteries are still fine and the display is still on. Pretty amazing. The display will give you a readout of your calories burned, time spent, distance covered, heart rate, and body fat. Heart rate and body fat are measured by the sensors built into the handle. I wouldn't bother with the heart rate though, as I checked mine numerous times over several days, and it was way off, by a difference of 15% (I check my body fat with a separate calculator I have).

Since the bike uses magnetic resistance, there are no cables to plug in. I noticed a difference between this and other bikes, because the resistance on it seemed much harder. There is definitely an easy setting, but it's not quite as easy as you might find on other machines. The seat cushion and backrest are very comfortable, and I had no problem sitting on the bike for up to an hour while watching TV. Although that's not to imply I wasn't working hard on the bike, because I definitely got some great workouts on it. When I first started I was only able to go for eight minutes.

I would recommend the Velocity Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike to anyone looking for an inexpensive recumbent bike. It doesn't have some of the advanced features of other bikes, like stored workout programs/routines or stored memory, but it has the basics in a well put together product. If I could make any changes to it, I would only suggest that they change the pedal straps so they are easier to adjust. I found them fairly difficult to adjust and you have to pretty much have them the way you want them before you start on the bike. The plastic holes in the straps are just too tight to move around easily. The other change I would make would be to add a lip to the bottom of the display panel, so that you could rest a book or magazine on it. I ended up making one and taping it to the display.

Update April 2012 - I still use this bike occasionally and think it is a nice cheap option for an exercise bike (since it doesn't require external power), but the display and programming options are too limited for it to see much use, and I have moved it to a vacation house. I now use my friend's Schwinn 240 Recumbent Exercise Bike which is a little bit more expensive, but the display and programming options more than make up for it.
on March 19, 2013
The exercise bike was very simple to assemble and has a very user friendly manual. the seat is a little on the firm side! but the back support is fine.
The seat slide adjustment is good for short people and tall people. the monitor/led is easy to use and the heart/pulse monitor on the side grips function for the resistance in the peddling there is none! weather you set it on 1 or 8 a little baby just learning to walk could use the machine and not break a sweat. If you want a good work out then don't buy this bike.