on November 17, 2010
This disc represents the best example of 3D photography available for Blu-Ray 3D at this time (17-Nov-2010). And, where one might fear that it would be undermined by insipid commentary from Jim Carrey, that fear turns out to be misplaced, with only a few brief exceptions.

Having done 3D (it should really be called "stereo") photography in the past, I can say that there are ways to do it well, and ways to do it poorly. Poor technique, and/or difficult subject matter, lead to artifacts (like distracting cases of the left image bleeding through into the right image, and vice versa - imperfect presentation technology is a factor in such cases, but stereo photographers know they face such problems, and failure to allow for them shows a lack of care) and, in extreme cases, even to difficulty in mentally assembling the 3D scene.

The stereo photography on this disc is not perfect in every case, but, overall, it is the best I've seen yet from any Blu-Ray 3D title (and I've bought all of the IMAX conversions available to date, and several of the few available films). Sit directly in front of your TV, and you can reach out and touch many of the creatures they've captured. It is a thing of beauty. (You will, for instance, probably never see a potato cod captured more perfectly.) In the rare cases where quality problems emerge it is in situations where stereo photography is just plain problematic - scenes with significant, but unpredictable, depth of field, high contrast elements, and subjects whose proximities to the camera(s) vary uncontrollably, leading to excessive parallax at times. I have no idea what equipment the photographers who made this IMAX film worked with, or what the state of the art currently is (or was at the time), but, in my experience, they'd have been hard-pressed to do better in practice.

If I were to pick any of the currently available Blu-Ray 3D titles to show-off 3D (stereo) television, or just for the pleasure of repeated viewing, this is the one I would choose.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2010
I am a scuba diver and I have dove all over the world including the South Pacific.

Many friends ask me what it looks like when we scuba dive. White balance is extremely difficult when shooting pictures under water, and changes constantly. You need to take a white card and rebalance the camera every few minutes. This movie, shot in the South Pacific, New Guinea, New Zealand, The Great Barrier Reef etc, is the most accurate ocean movie I've ever seen. They have somehow accurately captured the rainbow of colors we see when we dive. You will never see anything as bright and colorful as tropical fish and coral. The film crew must have a huge array of lights to shoot this.

Fish "school", move together, so nearsighted larger predator fish, sharks and such, will think they are one big fish instead of a thousand small fish and not attack them. This movie shows thousands of small fish schooling together, which is a fascinating and hypnotic process to watch.

Movie also contains a scene of the fabulous reclusive Leafy Sea Dragon one of the strangest creatures in the sea, which I have only seen here and in the Monterey Aquarium.

Yes, it's a little short. The film crew doubtless shot hundreds of hours of movie and has provided the viewer with the choicest and most interesting parts. (it's damn hard to get those fish to pose!)

It's the closest you can come to diving without getting wet.

Recommended
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2010
I rented this movie at Blockbuster to watch on a Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV.
IMAX offers many different movies that cover a wide range of topics that are great for children and adults.
Needless to say, the quality of the movie is simply breathtaking.
The movie shows various animals and species in their natural underwater habitat that most of us simply will never get to see in our lifetimes.

Jim Carrey's narration is an added bonus to the overall entertainment value. He narrates with a relaxed yet charming voice with small jokes you and your family will be sure to enjoy.
With stunning images and vivid colors and scenery, this movie must not be missed.

The only drawback to this movie is the length at under an hour which will leave you either wanting more or simply watching it again.
I am placing an order on Amazon for my own copy after I finish writing this review.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 8, 2011
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

Like many of the IMAX films the 3D is over done, meaning you may see objects out of screen that your brain knows should be farther back. These defects will vary from person to person by the way your brain interprets the 3D and by exactly where on the screen your eyes are focused at that time. With that being said, the following amounts and distances are the minimums you should see in this film.

In Addition to the opening credits floating out to 40%; there are about 21 out of screen effects that extend 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer. There are another 23 OOS effects between 15 & 25%. 1 to 4 effects will reach out to 50%. My favorite effect is at 21:00 minutes, a large head shot of a Potato Cod is at least half way between you and the screen. Finally, stick around for the closing credits. Some of the bubbles go out to 50% and the very last bubble almost reaches 75% before the effect is lost.

If the 3D in other IMAX films were OK for you, this one should be too.

*** Visually stunning sea floor & creature footage in crisp 3D ***

MY 3D RATING = VERY GOOD (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2010
"IMAX Under the Sea" narrated by Jim Carrey is spectacular when seen in Blu-Ray. The color photography is stunning and very vivid. It's a trip. It is photographed mostly along the sea bottom in the coral reefs off New Zealand and in Australia's Great Coral Reef.
As usual with these nature films it features a great deal of footage on predators. I guess the moviemakers think that their audiences will be enthralled by seeing predation at work, and of course it is dramatic and exciting to see hunters go at it. There are scenes of cute sea lions cavorting around the bottom, and luckily the producers don't show the predatory feats of the Great White Shark who is shown lurking in the vicinity.
The living coral reefs make marvelous visual images. The symbiotic relationships between species are shown when one species relieves another of parasites. Watch out for those cuttle fish with their darting projectiles that grab unwary passers-by. Big schools of fish are shown swarming through the sea as other fish sedately undulate along.
This movie is a treasure, and the camera people showed extraordinary skill. It's a rare sight to be able to see the teeming marine life that inhabits the reefs.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you want to show off your 3D TV, this is the DVD to buy because it uses the new technology to its fullest as the camera explores the oceans of the Coral Triangle where a wealth of odd and diverse marine life lives. Narrator Jim Carrey is subdued (too subdued, though, because at times it sounds as though he's trying too hard to be flat) as he guides viewers through the wonders under the surface: cuttlefish, sharks, sea lions, frog fish, jelly fish, sea snakes, whales, sea dragons -- the works. The 3D effect makes the underwater scenery stunning as fish float toward and away from the viewer, snap at prey, dive and twist through the water. Even better, the details about the lives of these marine animals is fascinating, and both kids and adults should be enthralled.

For us, this is the go-to film to demonstrate the effects of our Samsung 3D TV. It's not too long, but is packed with visual beauty and educational information. I could watch it a dozen times and not get bored.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
on February 18, 2011
I just bought my 3D TV this week, so spent hours reading reviews to order the best 3D movies that I could find. This movie was what I was looking for in terms of 3D experience. The film has amazing color, 3D depth, and footage.

There are lots of scenes where they showcase a variety of underwater life and pick out fish/rocks with deep depth in color. There are schools of fish and some fish that I never seen before this film. It's really like being under the sea and will WOW any of our friends that come over and watch the film. The only draw backs (minor) are that they do not showcase large animals (shark, Whale...) very long or in some instances not at all (Whale). It's a "must buy" for your 3D collection!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2010
This film is indeed quite short, but so beautiful that you'll watch it again and again. The educational narration is fun and easy to discuss later with young children. I rented the movie, but I would consider buying it because I could watch it over and again. It seems quite steep new though, so I would look for a used copy.
on January 3, 2012
THE DOCUMENTARY IS FUN TO WATCH. THE 3D IS EXCELLENT. IT'S THE PRICE THAT GIVES ME PAUSE. FOR 40 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE, YOU COULD GET A LOT MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK. OH YEAH, THE POP OUT WITH THE COD FISH IS UNMATCHED IN ANY MOVIE I'VE SEEN TO DATE. IT IS AS THOUGH YOU COULD ALMOST KISS THE FISH, IT COMES SO CLOSE TO YOUR FACE.
on January 14, 2012
I have now viewed a few 3D Blurays and some 3D programs on my new LG 55LW5600 (passive 3D). For the most part, looked kinda cool. While watching IMAX Under the Sea, it was pretty much the same. Incredible colors with the added depth of the 3D. That is until about midway through when a "Potato Cod" fish slowly swam directly at me and looked like it was almost completely out of the screen !!! I am sitting about 8-9 feet away and I am not exaggerating when I say it looked as if his face was about 2-3 feet away. I actually backed it up, played it in slow motion, and paused it many times because I couldn't believe how real it looked. I rated this 5 stars almost purely because of this part although the whole DVD was cool. Now my question is this.....if this pop out effect is obviously possible to do, why doesn't it happen more often? Is it because its IMAX and they are just better with the technology? Like I mentioned, I have viewed a few other movies and programs and haven't seen anything else that even came close to that fish.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...