Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on August 9, 2011
Like the reviewer that gave this drill 1 star, I also got this on the gold box deal. I had done a bunch of research and was actually about to buy a corded drill since they are cheaper and don't have the environmental impact of the battery. The only thing they don't have, which I think is an essential feature, is an adjustable clutch. Anyway, this seemed like a great deal on the gold box, so I pulled the trigger.

Pros:
Lightweight (with the slim battery)
Two batteries
Seems to hold a great charge (at this early writing of two weeks I haven't moved to the second battery yet)
Well balanced
Seems strong (haven't drilled any metal yet)
Great case - I was able to fit the drill, two batteries, the charger, two boxes of bits, my pack of spade bits, and some socket adapters, and there is still room for more odds and ends.

Cons:
I noticed a slight wobble when using a spade bit with an extension. I did some checks with other long bits to make sure, and it's definitely the drill. It's really hardly noticeable and the spade bit with extension still drilled a clean hole in drywall. For everything I've done with shorter bits this problem did not show. I will update if it gets worse.

I'm mostly just an around the house DIY user and this drill has worked out great for me.
review image
on July 13, 2012
this BOSCH DDB180-02 is by far the most powerfull and longest lasting battery drill I have ever used !

I was in the maintenance field (HVAC certified design & repair) for the USPS from '78 until I retired
and have been given (main office would buy tech's tools) many different portable drills over the years
some lasted one day most did not make 3 months ... when I became supervisor I changed it to the
tech's buying what they wanted ... and I had the knowledge of how the fellows liked their picks.
when I needed a new unit (after retirement) I wanted a BOSCH due to people I knew liked their product.
I am more the well satisfied ..more like VERY pleased with everything about this unit. I am amazed
of how long a single charge lasts. and the weight and size are well designed.
I still do home maintence for family and friends as well as doing wood-working as a hobby.
I have not used any of my corded hand drills since I received my BOSCH.
I am now looking for other hand units that are on the 18 volt power pack system...
anyone who reads this opinion should just get a BOSCH and not look any farther !!!

Martin
on August 3, 2011
I'm in the trades and a cordless drill is a staple, used nearly every day. I got this as a gift from my g/f who knew I was nursing beat batteries on my Panasonic 12V. On that drill, I'll never buy it again due, and only due to the poorest battery life (on FOUR) batteries I have ever experienced over the "life" of the unit (I ALWAYS drain my ni-cads before recharge and my 7(?) y/o Dewalt's batteries STILL work ok). Unacceptable for the price which was right around $200. Aside from that huge issue. the Panasonic was very nice.

All that said, this Bosch has impressed me from the start. Super light, good power, big case for all the peripherals, standard keyless chuck which is good for me as I swap a lot between drill bits and driver bits. This is not an impact drill which seem to be very popular, but I don't need that feature and, can do with out the additional NOISE those types make.

Only time will tell durability, which is the true test in my opinion. The high low speed switch on top is the only thing so far that seems as you have to help it to mesh sometimes but easy to get used to....Although I'm a sparky, I installed a water heater, two toilets and an ice maker over the weekend (light use of the drill) and am still on the first, factory charged battery. This is my first Lithium ION cordless tool......5 star, LOVE IT so far!
on November 4, 2011
Bosch makes quality products and this drill is no exception. I bought this thing on a daily deal for like $120 shipped and at that price it was a steal. This thing is super compact but packs a punch. It has a nice belt clip and a little LED on the front both of which I love. Definitely recommend!
on June 1, 2014
First here is the missing information.

The Drill/Driver is "Made in Malaysia"
The Batteries are 1.5 Amp-Hour and are made in Malaysia
The Battery Charger is made in China

The Drill/Driver weighs 3.1lb with battery attached.

First impression on opening the box was "wow - a Bosch for $99" - it LOOKS like a Bosch, however, other than "the look" it isn't the Bosch quality I am used to. You can feel it and hear it in use.

This is an example of "Form over Function" which is without doubt backwards for a power tool!

I have several older Bosch power tools - when they were made in Switzerland - those are my comparison.

Now if this were a lesser name, then I would say it was a pretty good Drill/Driver at a reasonable price.

The good :-
Light weight, powerful with plenty of battery life even at only 1.5 Amp/Hour,
the case is decent too - don't bother with the "L-Box" gimmick!
Oh and the Drill/Driver **looks** "nice"

The Bad :-
Poor quality - the chuck has "wobble" - quite a bit.
It isn't well balanced in the hand - it tends to fall backwards with a loose grip.
It sounds cheap compared to older Bosch tools (I suspect plastic gears rather than metal) which means it won't last long...
It isn't comfortable - I actually got a sore between thumb and forefinger after driving approx. 30 3" screws into Pine.
The batteries have no indication of charge - important with Li-Ion batteries
The light is annoying and useless - it should at least be switchable and point at the work (it lights an area below point of contact) - IF I keep it I will de-activate it somehow, at the moment I have a piece of tape over it.

For the homeowner/diy user/ "odd job" who wants the appearance of a "pro" then its fine - and probably the target consumer.
For a craftsman who requires quality (the "Pro") - forget it -
For me, a mix of both "Pro" and "DIY" it doesn't have the quality I need (and expect from Bosch) - I may keep it as a back up, or I may just pay the (same) price for two new batteries for my old tools - thats all thats wrong with them after 16 years of use!

This new Bosch won't last - my guess is after the 3 year warrantee runs out -

Lastly... To Bosch :- PLEASE bring back the quality of products of old - there are plenty of us willing to pay the price for good quality tools...

(Edit) another "bad" point - the chuck does not always hold a drill - the drill comes loose and falls out - I am returning this drill and settling for the "Bosch HDS181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Hammer Drill Driver" for a little more money it is a whole lot better - not great :: BUT it doesn't have the flaws this does!
on January 8, 2014
This beautiful, functional, powerful, well-engineered, low-cost Cordless Drill/Driver Kit was much more than I expected -- can't find a single thing that I don't like about this product and/or the purchase thereof !
Just in passing:
According to the labels on the individual parts --
1. The Drill body is "Made in Malaysia".
2. The Batteries are "Made in Malaysia".
3. The Charger is "Made in China".
I have many BOSCH-brand products (spark plugs, ignition wires, fuel pump, recip saw, saw blades, etc.), in service for several years, with no failures of any kind. Regardless of country of origin, the BOSCH brand has been strong, reliable, and functional over their entire product line.
My order arrived promptly and in perfect condition -- Thanx, Amazon!
Update: 5/18/14 -- I noticed a HUGE price increase (about 50% MORE than I paid!!) which would have killed the deal for me --
on May 5, 2014
i bought one from home depot but it did not have the case. This one has a smaller opening for the drill bits but every bits have different adjustable size. Overal i Like this. It charges fast and last for days. also just the right power i need (handyman)
on September 2, 2014
Switched to Bosch after using a Chicago Electric for about a year and dealing with battery failure. Since this one came with two batteries and a case I thought it must be better. Having Bosch appliances I know the build quality must be good and it is on their tools as well. The case it comes with in nicely made and neatly stores both batteries and the charger. Really appreciate that the LED light on the tool will work with slight trigger pressure and not spinning the tool so you can line up the screw. Only 1 month in at the time of writing this review.
on May 17, 2014
I bought this when it was $99. I use it all the time. It is light, which I like. Charges last a long time. It actually came charged, so I used it out of the box. Buy it when it is on sale. You will enjoy it even more!
on April 30, 2016
I couldn't be happier! I'm a 66 yo disabled lady who still dreams of being able to do things--especially with tools! The weight of tools that must be held is of concern to me, so when I was searching for a drill, my priorities were cordless and light-weight. Going with those, I decided on this drill; it had just come out, so there weren't a lot of reviews to go on. I have had this product almost two years now, and it has served me well. Its light enough that I can hold it steady when using it; battery life is excellent; and it has seen me through several projects including a 9' x 3' x 27" cedar raised bed with 2" lumber, as well as general use. The 3/8" size is probably all I will ever need, so there couldn't have been a better choice for me!