on May 6, 2011
Verified Purchase
I don't typically write reviews, but in this case I'm taking a few minutes from my busy day to say how disappointed I am with Wine.com and Amazon.com. The package arrived on May 3rd and I opened it on May 5th. Upon opening, the contents were completely melted and had re-hardened. Basically, everything in the package was non edible and a throw away. I went to my account to return the package, but it was "outside" the return window which had closed on the 5th of May. Again, the package had arrived only 3 days ago and I did not open it until the 5th (today is the 6th). If anyone has ordered from Godiva or other vendors that sell chocolate, they package their items in some sort of ice or cold pack. This was just a mess! Expect the same if you order from Wine.com. I'm just thankful that I didn't buy this as a gift.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
When I purchased this it was on sale for really cheap like $25ish and currently it's at $43 and I can say I don't think it's worth that much. I appreciated that it had quite a few different types of chocolates including the Godiva gems which have a chewy caramel center. I melted down the dark chocolate bar and made chocolate covered fruits. The chocolate lined butter cookies were delicious. The chocolate covered cashews were a nice small addition. I wasn't too hot on the chocolate bar with nuts. The best part of the basket is definitely the truffles there are 8 but you never know what kind they will send, they give you a little informational pictorial on what is what but they give you pretty basic stuff like a milk chocolate and dark chocolate one. So the other 6 are the more specialty ones like raspberry (amazing by the way) and other gourmet flavors.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The "Godiva Happy Birthday Gift Basket" is a nice gift to give to your chocolate loving significant other, or anyone else in your life that likes Godiva chocolate.

The gift consists of a wicker basket containing six items: milk chocolate caramels, milk chocolate cashews, chocolate butter biscuits, a solid dark chocolate bar, a 72 percent dark chocolate bar with almonds, and 8 assorted truffles, all wrapped in celophane with a blue "happy birthday" bow. The selection of chocolates, as noted, is varied and tasty. The items in the basket are not standing up as shown in the picture, but are lying down in the basket (but the overall presentation is still attractive).

I have one problem with this product, and I don't know if it's just a random flaw or something that might be problematic for everyone, but the truffles had melted into each other. While it's a little warm outside, summer hasn't arrived yet, and I wouldn't think that the chocolate should have melted given the current temperatures. The other chocolate items in the gift were ok, so I just might have gotten a bad batch of truffles. But if they are prone to melting in moderate heat, this may not be a good product to order in the summer. Hopefully other reviewers can note whether or not they've had problems with their chocolate melting during shipment.

Overall, I give the product a cautious, yet tasty, four stars.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is definitely for a birthday as it has a nice ribbon wrapped around it that says "Happy Birthday." It has 6 varieties of Godiva chocolates.

Godiva Chocolatier 72% Cacoa Dark Chocolate with Almonds 3.5 oz - good.
Godiva Chocolatier Truffles 5.25 oz assorted - The expiration date is 8 months from now, but they look "whitish" and old.
Godiva Chocolatier Milk Chocolate Cashews - good.
Godiva Chocolatier Gems Milk Chocolate Caramels - smooth and soft centers. Doesn't stick to your teeth.
Godiva Chocolatier Biscuits 1.2 oz - really good!
Godiva Chocolatier Solid Dark Chocolate Bar 1.5 oz - good.

While it is only 1 item that looks bad, it kind of ruins the basket as a gift. The other chocolates looked and tasted fine. I didn't taste the truffles since they looked odd.

Edited: I believe the white on the chocolate is from the heat. I would not order this basket if it's warm out.
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This gift basket comes with an assortment of six Godiva chocolate products: milk chocolate cashews, dark chocolate bar, milk chocolate caramels, truffles, milk chocolate biscuits, and a dark chocolate bar with almonds. It's a combination of products sure to please the chocolate lover on your gift list. The chocolates come nicely arranged in a straw basket, sealed in plastic, with a bluish green ribbon that reads "Happy Birthday." When I requested this basket, I was concerned that the chocolates might arrive melted, due to the fact that this is the South and it's late Spring, which can be very hot. The package arrived in a box that contained no cold packs or anything designed to keep the chocolate from melting. If it had been the height of summer, everything would have melted. As it was, the caramels and the truffles were just a bit on the soft side. Everything else was fine. But, this is an important thought to keep in mind when ordering this gift basket.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Godiva gift basket is a perfect birthday gift for a chocolate lover. This basket is a medium sized gift basket, with 6 types of chocolate included. There are milk chocolate/wafer tea biscuits, a dark chocolate bar, a box of rich truffles, milk chocolate covered cashews, milk chocolate caramel gems, and a dark chocolate almond tablet. That's just enough chocolate to feel indulged without feeling inundated by diet-destroying treats.

I was pleased that this basket included several dark chocolate selections, as I prefer it over milk chocolate. However, those who dislike dark chocolate would not like this particular gift basket. My least favorite item is the chocolate cashews, but since my husband is a cashew fan, I just give them to him. Perhaps that is their purpose, to share with your husband so he'll leave your truffles and caramel gems alone.

At the moment, the gift basket isn't available, so I can't comment on the price or the value of the items included. As Amazon prices rise and fall, I'd say watch for this one to hit the right price to be a bargain for you. This Happy Birthday basket would definitely make someone feel special.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok, so every once in awhile I get in the mood for chocolate. So when this basket came my way, I was very very happy to receive it. So what if it wasn't my Birthday, chocolate is chocolate right?!? And it came in a cute little basket when a Happy Birthday ribbon that immediately went into my ribbon stash for use on something else.

This a smaller basket, and entirely appropriate for one person as long as they don't try to pig it down in a day. There are several treats that can be broken up into smaller servings, or if the person who has received it is nice, they can share it with a couple of other people and it's still enough to go around. In all there were six different treats in this basket:

Godiva Solid Dark Chocolate Bar: This is exactly how it sounds. Wonderful dark chocolate with just a hint of bitterness that melted in the mouth. And it was a rather large bar that lasted several days.

Chocolate Biscuits: I really enjoyed the biscuit part of these but the chocolate was a bit too sour tasting for me. It was milk chocolate, and I prefer dark, but even so it just didn't seem to have the right compliment of flavors.

Milk Chocolate Cashews: These were interesting. I've never had chocolate covered cashews before, it's always the other nuts that seem to be covered in chocolate. At first I thought I didn't like them, but the more I got used to the taste, the more I started to enjoy them, and dare I say it, even think them fabulous.

Truffles: This was an assortment of chocolates and they were all pretty fantastic. Even the dark chocolate truffles were still sweet enough to appeal to the masses and the hazelnut one was to die for. My only lament is that the box showed several different types and not all those types were in the box, it's a surprise as to which ones you'll actually get.

Dark Chocolate With Almonds: This bar was very good as far as the chocolate to almond ratio went. It was a bit dry, but it seemed to be eaten pretty quick anyway.

Milk Chocolate Caramel Gems: A quote for these would be "Creamy drops of heaven-sent joy to dazzle the tongue in a cascade of rich delightful sweetness. The perfect marriage of chocolate and caramel, this is not a caramel that is contained in a thin shell of chocolate or a blob of chocolate accented by caramel, but rather a true complementary synthesis of the flavors." It was very creamy and rich, and very good.

I've noticed other reviews that comment on the melting of these chocolates in the heat. I didn't have any trouble with these but we were also having a mild week of around 70*. Much hotter and I could see this getting pretty melty, after all, it's chocolate, so this may be a better basket for friends and family who have Birthdays in the cooler months. Or you can toss the dice if they are that much of a chocolate lover.

A nice basket which a good variety of products. Not the largest selection of goodies out there, but enough to keep a chocolate lover sufficiently happy.

Review by M. Reynard 2012
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nice size basket with a good selection of Godiva favorites that would make a great gift for any chocolate lover. The pretty blue "Happy Birthday" ribbon is a nice touch. I'm not sure if this is relevant in every case, but my basket took about 5 days to arrive and the weather has been quite hot lately. Most of the chocolates were fine, but the truffles weren't in the best shape. They has a white coating on them and were a little mushy like they melted several times during shipment. If you're ordering this in the warmer months, it might be worth upgrading to overnight shipping if it's not offered automatically so this isn't an issue. Other than that, I was pleased with the gift basket.
VINE VOICEon May 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pros:
*Godiva is always delicious
*attractive basket and presentation
*6 different chocolate items, as stated in the ingredients list

Cons:
*Contents of each package a melted mass of mess

I live in Texas and today, temperature outside in the mid-80s. When the package arrived I was at home, so it didn't sit outside at all. And it was such a disappointment to find it to be all melted. The package of chocolate covered cashews was one clump. The lovely truffle box contents were all melted together. Would have been 5 stars if hadn't been melted.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I obtained this product for free through the Amazon Vine program.

If I had purchased it, and presented it to someone as a gift, I would have been absolutely mortified. Mortification would have been instantly followed by fury, because these things ain't cheap.

The truffles have that greyish tinge that sometimes indicates old age. However, it obviously came from the box being stored in a very warm area, probably in transit, as every single truffle showed signs of partial melting. Two of them had melted completely, and were solidly stuck to their container. (Interestingly, there is no link to post a product image. Hmmm... I wonder why....)

I haven't even looked at the rest of the basket contents. It doesn't matter. Such a gift is either perfect, or it's not. This one is definitely NOT.

The gift looks lovely. It comes in a very nice basket with a silky fabric ribbon. However, the presentation is all for naught if the gift itself is ruined beyond redemption.

Someone at either Wine.com or Amazon should have used their head about the potential for disaster when shipping delicate chocolates in an ordinary box via an ordinary carrier.

Inexcusable.