on September 9, 2011
I studied the Keurig machines and others for over 2 months before deciding on this one. My main fear on the Keurig was the unbelievable amount of bad reviews for the water pumps failing. Their home systems (especially the platinum) seem to be plagued with this issue, yet this unit and most of the other commercial units appear immune. The downside to going with the commercial unit is they are not compatible with the "My K-cup". Do not despair.. there is a solution!

My experience:

I purchased a B145 from the local Staples for $129.99!! I unwrapped my new beauty and filled it full of water per the instructions. My heart sank as the just out of the box unit would not prime. I figured I must be doing something wrong and called Keurig. They confirmed the unit was defective... right out of the box!! Not happy, but I thought I would give it one more go. I took it back to Staples, who happily exchanged the item. This time success. The unit works great and I have had no other issues in the month of ownership. Use of filtered or bottled water highly recommended to extend the unit service life. Unit has a 1 year warranty from Keurig so I am very happy with my purchase so far.

Those who complained about the noise surprised me a bit. It does hum and buzz a bit I admit... but it lasts what.. maybe 40 seconds while it fills with water. Really? .. seemed a bit silly to me.

Now, the big win here... I was willing to trade the inability to use the "My K-cup" for a reliable unit, but found the eKobrew reusable filter for Keurig here on Amazon. It works great with the B145 and I recommend it if you want to use your own blend of coffee.

For what it is worth... that's my 2 cents.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2011
I have wanted a Keurig for quite some time now for home use, but wasn't really sure which model I wanted. After plenty of research, I settled on the Office Pro.

The major complaint I read about this model was that it wasn't exactly quiet. Those reviews are correct, to an extent. I don't think it's so loud as to be any more distracting than any other noise in the home. It's certainly a lot quieter than my vacuum and my washer. I can't hear it in the next room, and neighbors haven't complained about the noise in the surrounding apartments.

I have read review after review of the home brewers with the quiet technology, and I noticed that the one common complaint with those was that the pump failed after a couple months. I'd rather deal with a bit of noise than with a dead coffee maker.

We are avid coffee drinkers, and we always use travel mugs in the morning. There isn't a setting for a 16 ounce cup, but we get around that by brewing two 6 ounce cups with a singular k-cup. It give us the perfect amount and intensity of coffee, and leaves enough room for cream and sugar.

I love that everyone can have exactly whatever kind or flavor of coffee that they want. No more having to drink chocolate peppermint coffee in the morning because I wasn't the first one up and I don't want to waste a whole pot. I also love that it's always a fresh cup of coffee. No more burnt, old coffee. Just a nice fresh cup.

I find that there is a nice variety of K-cups as well, and if you shop around you can usually get them at a great price. My local Bed, Bath and Beyond carries them and you can use a 20% off coupon on them. Impact Office Pro also carries them online, for even cheaper than Keurig's site with their coffee club discount.

Speaking of prices, I got my Office Pro for a lot cheaper. Staples has them for $129.99 and you can use a coupon. My account rep at Impact Office Pro went a little lower than the Staples price, and then even took my $25 Staples coupon, bringing the price down even more. So shop around and see where you can get the best deal!

A word of warning, the my k cup reusable filter offered by Keurig does not work with this model. However, the solofill refillable k-cup does work so if you want to use your own coffee, buy the solofill k cup.

All in all, I highly recommend this brewer. It's a great addition to our home.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2011
(sorry for the length of this....my first review but I thought my experience would help)

The B145 is a commercial-grade model and not intended for home use, as clearly repeated on Keurig's website and on the packaging. My purchase, and my remedy below, were done at my discretion.

I researched Keurigs for several months before pulling the trigger. We have an original (older) B40 at our office that pumps out 20-25 cups per day and still runs like a champ after years of use. Since this is a consumer-grade unit, I was optimistic on the projected longevity. It has the older pump and yes, it makes a fair share of noise which would probably get old running early in the morning. I read tons of reviews on Amazon and was interested in the quieter B60 or B70 before reading all the stories about pump issues. After reading reviews and watching Youtube videos on the sound comparisons between old & new pumps, I decided to try the B145. I ordered it from a popular local office store (with online coupon code...check those out) for a great price. I knew it would be the noisier pump but wanted the reliability without having to fuss with the pump to keep it primed. When you want coffee in the morning, you really aren't in the mood to plead with the machine, right? It arrived the next day and I set it up. I read a couple of reviews about the B145 not priming for the first time...unfortunately mine was one of those. I didn't feel like hauling it back to the store and being inquisitive, I figured I couldn't make it any worse by tinkering (my own choice, I'm not suggesting anyone do the same). Since this model has the drain feature, I managed to get it primed after about 15 minutes of tinkering by doing the following:

The unit tried to pull in water but there appeared to have been an air-lock in the line so I held the return nozzle closed while it tried to pull in water. *** Please note, this machine DOES make substantial noise when it is dry...this is normal with ANY pump that is run dry. After about 30 seconds of little-to-no water being pulled from the tank, I shut it off, set it for drain and initially held the return nozzle for a second or two while attempting to drain. It spit some air and a little water into the tank before running empty. I then reset for an initial prime and watching the water level in the tank, it pulled in a little more water this time. I had to repeat this sequence about 3-4 times and each time it pulled in more water (and drained when the valve was reversed). I knew the boiler was full as it was now pulling in the same amount of water during each drain & prime. I put an empty cup under the spout (no K-cup in the holder) and pressed Brew. Voila...a full cup of hot water! *** Please note, once the pump is primed, this machine makes MUCH less noise than when empty. In fact, it makes alot less noise than our older B40 at the office. One tip I found was to place a suitable-sized pot holder or rubber mouse pad underneath and the machine does not vibrate anything on the counter. I've operated both the older and newer models and was pleased to learn that once primed, this model only makes a low hum when running (comparable to the newer style pumps).

My opinion is the possible air-lock problem probably affects several models of Keurig brewers, thus the frustrations by owners. These small bladder-style pumps do not like air bubbles in the supply line, whether it's during initial prime or after months/years of use. Clearing the air-lock seems to fix every one of the pump-plagued units that have been repaired from what I've reviewed. My feeling is that if Keurig can implement a fix to keep this condition from occuring on both consumer and commercial-grade models, they would have much happier customers. The partial-cup complaint can also be due to a clog in the K-cup needle(s), fixed with a straightened paper clip. Obviously, if you're under warranty, you should consider that route before attempting repairs yourself.

I love this machine and have coupled it with an Ekobrew refillable so I can use any coffee variety. My machine heats up in the morning from cold in about 1 minute, so a timer is not needed. It has an auto-shutoff option, a descale indicator and three cup sizes to choose from so nothing else is needed. Even with my initial problem, I wouldn't have made a different choice. I only gave 4 stars due to the out-of-the-box experience, but now this machine works perfectly!

Keurig B145 OfficePRO Brewing System
ekobrew Cup, Refillable K-Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I was first exposed to Keurig-made coffee at a luxury hotel and ran out (to Amazon) and bought a B70. I have since purchased about a dozen Keurigs for friends and family. Here is what has tempered my enthusiasm; they don't hold up over time. I don't expect things to last forever but most of the people that I have given the Keurig to only get about two years of use out of them before their pumps fail. I replaced my B70 with a Breville and it just recently passed away.

Before I let myself calculate just how much money that I have spent on an "easy" way to make a cup of coffee I purchased this unit. Overall I am very pleased with it. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of my other K-cup coffee makers, but it's got enough of the features that I need (however, I do miss the clock.). One thing that is really nice is that it has a drain feature, something missing from my other Keurigs. This allows one to drain the unit of the water that is deep inside the machine, preparing it for transport or storage.

The one real feature that caused me to buy this model over the others will take a while to prove itself, and that is DURABILITY. Being designed for office use the B145 is supposed to have a more durable pump. I have to admit that I am skeptical, but we will see and I will update this review periodically.

Update: 4/16/12 I have used this machine several times a day, every day, since I wrote this review and it is still performing fine. So far, so good.

Update: 1/16-13 This is the best K-cup machine that I have owned, not the fanciest, but the best. I like it so much that I upgraded my review from 4 stars to 5 and purchased another one for work. This is a very well made and dependable machine.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2011
I purchased this from our local Staples, for about $40.00 less then what is listed here. The one feature of this I liked over the other one I had (can't remember the model #) is that it has a drain feature.
The 6 oz setting isn't really needed in our house, we either use the 8oz or 10 oz. Also, it is louder then the other model.
In reply to the other review about how it vibrated and made a VERY loud noise when priming, I experienced the same issue, I called the company about that, and what happens is, you have to lift up the reservoir (which is already filled with water) and set it back down. If it's not setting down just right, it can't siphon in the water, which causes that bad vibration and LOUD noise.
It has a really heavy duty cord and just seems really heavy duty.
I did see it is around $89.00 at the Keurig website, but saw that after I got this from Staples. If you have never owned a Keurig, just keep in mind then once you own one, you WILL be addicted, and, the k cups are pricey.
I got this for my 83 year old mom, and now she can enjoy fresh, hot coffee anytime she wants.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2011
So after having returned not one, but two, of the Cuisinart Keurig brewers due to broken water pumps, I've settled on this commercial grade Keurig OfficePro B145 brewer for home use. I bought the unit from my local Staples for one hundred thirty-nine dollars, tax included. This model comes highly rated by both office and home users, and I couldn't find a single review online complaining of the broken water pump problem that seems to plague many Keurig models. The Cuisinart Keurigs were great, but neither of them lasted beyond the four month mark, which is terrible considering they cost around two hundred dollars a piece. They each just gradually stopped brewing full cups of coffee, and it seemed as though the pump just stopped doing its job of pushing water through the machine. Anyhow, the OfficePro B145 model is bulletproof and every component feels solid to the touch. It does not hold as much water as the Cuisinart Keurig, but I'll get over it. It is also considerably louder than the Cuisinart model as it doesn't have the QuietBrew technology, but I think the QuietBrew technology may be the "Achilles heel" of the Cuisinart Keurigs and other Keurig models as the pumps simply don't last. There are just too many reviews online for many Keurig models complaining of broken pumps. I'll update this review if I experience any problems, but, for now, I'm loving this bad boy!

LONG TERM UPDATE - November 2014: I've been using this brewer once daily since April 2011 and it's still going strong. The only problem I've encountered is that I can't turn the machine off using the small power button on the control panel. No big problem since I usually unplug the machine when I'm done. When I'm ready to brew, I just plug the machine in and press the power button to turn the machine on. I still recommend this Keurig brewer highly. It seems to be one of their most reliable models.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
From a cold start, 90 sec to heat, 30 sec to brew. While already on, reheat and brew, 45 sec!!! But not compatable with reusable K-CUP??? Whats up with that??? I am considering returning this item.

According to other reviews the OfficePro line may have a better pump compared to the Home line. Although louder and more vibration, equilavant to a loud aquarium air pump. I considered the compact B130 DeskPro, or even the other Mini editions can take up to 2-3 minutes to brew.

Other considerations, this has a water resevior where the B130 did not, I quickly came to apreciate the benefit to having the resevior. Was disapointed unable to hook up a water line, that would have been great. The metal drip plate rattles during the pump priming setup, it is very annoying but just removing the plate and just using the bottom plastic catch below to hold the cup for brewing works well. Note another reviewer suggested using a mouse pad underneath to help with the vibration noise. Unable to reproduce rattle for the video, appears to have gotten better aftere a few days. Be sure your countertop is level.

As earlier mentioned perhaps the biggest negative is the OfficePro line is not compatable with the reusable K-cup filters, as I prefer larger, stronger coffee and would like to use more/my own coffee grounds. Note one could run a double 6oz size to get 12oz. Another reviewer noted that the EKOBREW is compatable. So I will give that a go.

Note it is highly recommended to use DISTILLED water to prevent scalling. It will be interesting how this unit stands up over time, currently just using filtered water.

Oh yeah got this for $120 sold and shipped by Amazon.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There seem to be a lot of folks here who complain about the noise of this machine and while it is noisy, it's a commercial grade product with an industrial style pump in it. It's going to make more noise than the home style ones and even Keurig says on their website that it's not recommended for home use and isn't UL certified for home use.

One person who gave it a one star on here was using the drain feature everyday - apparently they didn't bother to read the instructions on the machine. The drain button is for storage and cleaning, not for emptying the machine daily.

Don't trust the descale light - I'm sure it's accurate but descale the machine every 3-6 months whether the light comes on or not. Also, understand your water if you are using tap water and if you're using bottled water, understand it even more. Our tap water is from a well and is, fortunately, fairly soft - 87 on the total dissolved solids meter (which goes as high as 999). However, I've tested various brands of bottled water, some of them have been over 200! So get your water tested or buy a $12 TDS meter from Amazon and know what you are putting into the machine.

Ours gets used daily, makes 8-10 cups and is on continuously for about eight hours. We clean it as recommended, descale it every 6 months because of our soft water and it has performed flawlessly for eighteen months. Our previous Keurig was a home model, lasted two years and finally died. I'm hoping this one goes for three to four years at which time I would expect it to die. One negative reviewer said they were upset their home Keurig died after three years and that Keurig was only giving them a partial credit towards a new one ($70!) - good thing I don't run customer service at Keurig or they wouldn't have liked what I told them.

If you're looking for a basic brewer, no bells and whistles other than cup size and auto-off, then this is the machine for you. It will be (should be?) more durable than their home models and provide the same quality coffee. There are some complaints online about a plastic taste with this brewer. Because of that, the first thing I did was thoroughly wash the water reservoir and then did a descale with white vinegar and then a thorough rinse. Haven't had any taste issues whatsoever.

People also complain it's too expensive a way to brew coffee. They are apparently happy with their Maxwell house coffee in their Mr. Coffee and so shouldn't invest in one of these machines. To me, seventy-five cents for a cup of coffee to rival Starbucks is money well spent and I get to enjoy it in the comfort of my own home. Shop around for the k-cups, there are huge price differences online and even in retail stores. I just bought 108 k-cups of Sumatran for fifty-eight cent a cup shipped to my door.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2011
After reading all the negative reviews regarding the water pumps on the other Keurig machines, I decided to try the OfficePro. So far I'm very happy with it.

It is a little loud, but it only lasts for a few seconds while the water is being pumped. I'd rather put up with the noise rather than have a machine that only lasts a few months. The coffee comes out a little strong for my taste, so I use an over-sized mug and use the (same) pod twice at the 6 oz. setting, then add some soy milk. (Could be the coffee -- I use Gloria Jean's Hazelnut bought here on Amazon.) Gloria Jean's Coffees,Hazelnut K-Cups for Keurig Brewers (Pack of 50) I also got the Cafe Escapes Cafe Mocha which was way too sweet for my taste, but my son loves it. Cafe Escapes Cafe Mocha, 12-Count K-Cups for Keurig Brewers (Pack of 3) I also got the Keurig Carousel which I'm really happy with. Keurig 5071 K-Cup Carousel Tower I saw the carousel today at Target, where it cost $1 more (plus tax).

The best part is, I found this on a site called eCrater (seller coffeehots) for $87.99 -- no tax, free shipping. I ordered it last Tuesday, and had it on Friday. I was wary of ordering from them (found them Googling, looking for coupons), but they had a lot of recent positive reviews so I took a chance, and was very pleasantly surprised. The model I got was the current B145 model, complete with an 18-pack sampler of K-cups. Set-up was a breeze -- there was a quick set-up guide that walks you through what to do; I was drinking my first cup of coffee within 5-10 minutes of taking the maker out of the box. : )

When you register your machine with Keurig, they send you a code so if you buy 2 boxes of K-cups, you get 2 free. I ended up with 4 boxes, plus 3 samplers for $39.05 (free shipping, because my original order was over $45). The Keurig website is a great place to go to see ALL the K-cups offered -- over 200 of them. Plus they sell samplers that contain 5 K-cups for around $3 -- a great way to be able to test obscure flavors (like Southern Pecan) without buying a whole box. There are a lot of customer reviews there too, just like Amazon, which was really helpful. (That's where I got the idea of running a K-cup through twice.) The prices are comparable with Amazon's but with the free Prime shipping, I think Amazon wins out. Still, it's a good place to get flavors that Amazon doesn't offer.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. Now I can have a fresh cup of coffee whenever I want, and I don't end up having to throw out the occasional half-a-pot. And it's so convenient compared to making a pot of coffee -- no filters to worry about, no loose coffee grinds, no washing the pot, the different flavors, etc. I love my new toy! : )

Update 2/27/13: Have had absolutely NO problems with this machine. I'm still loving it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2011
UPDATE: Old morning routine - stumble around in the kitchen, tripping over the dogs' beds while I rinsed the coffee pot, dug out a filter and filled the basket with coffee, poured water into the coffee maker, and waited 10 minutes for the pot to brew. NEW MORNING ROUTINE: Stumble into the kitchen (some things never change), drop a k-cup into the machine, put my coffee cup under the dispenser, and Nirvana pours from this lovely machine in under 30 seconds from heat up to fresh cup of coffee! And if I want a second cup? Pop in another k-cup and the magic happens all over again. This makes me ridiculously happy, and now I know why so many people love their Keurigs!
***
I bought my Keurig Officepro B145 from a vendor on ecrater for under $90. Was able to use paypal so I didn't have to give them a credit card. Came brand new in the box, with a variety box of k-cup coffees. I also registered it on the Keurig website, which entitled me to two FREE large boxes of coffees with the purchase of two large boxes. This coffee maker is a dream come true! Set up was very simple. It did make a loud rumbling noise when I primed it by brewing a cup of water the first time. But by the time we popped in the first k-cup and hit brew, it was working fine.
Heats the water very quickly - from the time I turn on the power until it's ready to brew a cup is under five minutes. If I leave the power on, it takes maybe 20-30 seconds to brew a 10-oz. cup of coffee.

This machine does not use the k-cup adapters - you need to get the solofill brand of adapters if you want to use your own coffee. If you worry about the impact of all that plastic on the environment, do like us. I rip the foil top off the used k-cups and dump the coffee into my compost pile. The plastic and foil go into the recycling.

I just LOVE being able to simply pop a k-cup into the lid, hit brew, and 30 seconds later I have a cup of the most delicious and HOT coffee. No pot or filters to clean. Simple and simply delicious.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations