Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween

on May 23, 2011
I have had a weekend to play with the 310, and was very impressed with picture and sound quality. For the record, this is my first Blu-ray player, and I think it was worth the wait. With this player, BD's load as quickly as DVD's do on my Denon DVD-1920.

It is nearly identical to the 210, except it has a second HDMI output so you can bring HD audio into your non-3D-ready receiver. If your receiver has HDMI spec 1.4 (or if you don't care about 3D), then go with the 210.

The setup process was simple with the exception of the trial and error process of getting the right audio signal to my receiver. First, make sure that you send the 'main' HDMI to the TV and the 'sub' HDMI to your receiver. In order to get full resolution, surround sound audio out of the second HDMI output you will need to disable the second video signal. Which means no video going to your receiver. This is less than ideal since I will rarely be watching 3D content and would have preferred to route video through the AVR most of the time for simplicity. I guess they set it up this way to save a few pennies per unit but it stinks.

I have watched a couple of movies so far, and was truly blown away by the sound. I don't want to neglect the picture quality here, but honestly while the picture was quite clear and detailed, it didn't impact me quite as hard as the jump in sound quality did. I probably fall into the audiophile category, and have invested a lot in my surround sound system. The clarity of the dialog, and the raw impact of the effects and soundtrack are truly outstanding.

Some Blu-ray discs (including the two I have watched) include DTS-HD Master audio tracks. To compare, the audio on DVD's tops out at 448kbps* (data transfer rate) and standard Dolby Digital on Blu-rays is about 40% better at 640kbps. But DTS-HD Master streams at 25Mbps (25,000kbps). That is 50 times as much detail in the audio signal! Check for the DTS-HD Master logo on the back when you buy or rent BD's.

To enjoy the DTS-HD Master audio stream, you will need a receiver that can decode the digital stream. Since the new panasonic blu-ray players don't have 5.1 analog outputs, you will have to use the HDMI cable to send the digital signal to your receiver for processing.

I will probably do a bit more tweaking with the settings, and as I learn more I will update my review. I will play around with 3D soon, as my glasses should arrive tomorrow. I also do not have Netflix at this point but plan to add it in the future.

All and all, I couldn't be happier that I chose this player as my first dive into Blu-ray. It isn't as big a jump as VHS to DVD was, but if you want to take full advantage of your flat screen HDTV or surround sound setup then I highly recommend taking the plunge.

*Source: wikipedia "Comparison of high definition optical disc formats"

*Here is a tidbit from the Netflix blog "Currently, our top HD streams are about 4800 kilobits per second" (kbps). If you are picky about your picture or sound, keep in mind that this is about half the fidelity as a standard DVD. I'm not a netflix hater, and I'll join for the unmatched convenience but this is one reason I haven't joined yet. Low-fi is fine for sitcoms and cartoons but for movies and shows like Lost and Heroes, quality trumps convenience in my living room.

Still loving this player. It is quick to start up, and resumes playback on discs that don't have blu-ray live content (such as Advertisements on the menu screens......yuck!)

I have also joined Netflix and tried out a couple of streams. One was a Thomas the Train movie for the kiddo. The SD picture was okay, but motion was very jumpy (really bad with moving trains!). We are currently watching Heroes S4 in Blu-ray. The other night we finished a disc and wanted to watch another episode so I streamed it in Netflix HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital. The picture was quite good, though obviously not as crisp as the 1080p from the Blu-ray. Same was true with the audio...The dialog wasn't quite as clear and we had to turn it up a bit louder to catch everything that was said. Missed out on some of the "thereness" experience of Blu-Ray discs, but still quite good. Keep in mind this is coming from a certified audiophile, my wife didn't notice the difference (but asked me to turn it up and rewind so she could hear the dialog).

This player continues to impress me with its features. On my son's 'movie night' we pulled up youtube, watched some trailers of 4 or 5 kids movies, and let him choose which one he wanted to watch. Jumped straight over to netflix (dedicated button on remote, but you have to be on the home screen (?) for it to work) and had the movie running by the time the popcorn was finished popping! Very nice!! Still highly recommended

Update on the 'resume' feature of Blu-Rays. Since discs with online content won't automatically resume, Some studio (ABC?) has come up with a nice feature (I forget what it's called!). The only disc I have seen this on is Lost season 5. It allows you to set up a viewer profile (takes 5 seconds), and when you get to the main menu there is an option to continue where you left off. I haven't tried it with multiple profiles, but that is a nice feature for if the wife and I were watching it separately. Another nice feature is when you finish a disc and put the next one in right away, it will skip all the legal stuff/menus and jump straight into the next episode! Nice!! Too bad this isn't standard!?!
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2011
Using this blu-ray player with a non-3D HDTV and a Sony receiver that doesn't handle 3D signal passthrough but does playback HD sound, I was a bit concerned about the 2nd HDMI connection for legacy receivers like mine. No worries, I just used the HDMI main out to the receiver's HDMI input, then the receiver's HDMI output to the HDTV. Worked fine, but to get HD audio, I had to switch the audio to PCM, not bitstream. The reason I bring this up is because the instructions ignore those who don't have a 3D HDTV. But this works fine without 3D.

"Easy Setup" involved location of my wireless network and a few other minor settings. Easy setup was truly easy. I went directly to the setting to upgrade the firmware. Updating the firmware (highly recommended) which took about 10 minutes total, is essential for proper function. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Pressed the red Netflix button on the remote, and it took me to the main VieraCast screen. It does this only the first time, since you have to agree to some terms and log into your Netflix account. Easy to do, no issues (firmware 1.6.3 needed for smooth operation). On my 802.11n wireless network, HD Netflix movies played back okay, except for a few black flashes. Can't imagine that being my network. Also tried Pandora and it worked flawlessly. Weather was quite nice, as was several other apps. Nice collection, and VieraCast menu is easy to customize. Didn't try Skype. Gotta buy Panasonic's cam? Forget it.

Blu-ray 2D was gorgeous and disc boot up was faster than Playstation 3. Believe it. That is, if you enable the quick start feature, which makes the player use a bit more electricity. HD audio was supreme, but had to adjust the audio setting to PCM output from the Panasonic. My first test disc was Billy Joel Live in Shea (2011 release). Haven't tried a DVD yet, but I anticipate the usual.

I don't have 3D anything, but wanted a new blu-ray player to reduce use of my Playstation 3 and its noisy fan. This Panasonic is quiet, quick, tiny, and works with old and new. If this 3D thing does become mainstream, at least I am future proofed with this player. Highly recommended.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2011
After reading all the reviews, and the warnings that some of the reviews post, I went ahead and bought this unit anyway. It is rated as the top dog in blu-ray players. It is, but first the warning/advice:
Out of the box, this machine will not access Netflix, just as some of the other buyers warned. Performed the update with the latest firmware, and still had problems (make sure that the minute you connect it up, do a firmware update). What I did was to contact Panasonic customer service and then was routed through to technical service department. This took some doing, but finally I was in contact with a wonderful and very knowledgable technician. She walked me through reprogramming the network settings, which has to be done to get this player to talk with your wi-fi network. She walked me through the re-programming codes and entering into the player's software, and bingo; Netflix!!!

Once the player's network was reprogrammed to conform with my wi-fi, there was no problem. ATTENTION!!! Make sure that you write down the codes and store them somewhere safe, most likely with your owner's manual.

Now to the machine. It is a wonderful hi-grade player, and I recommend it highly. It produces and incredible crisp and clean picture, on any television. But what it does to a high end Plasma (most specifically a Panasonic 50" Viera) is beyond words. Just like being there, in the theatre. Other than the re-program, easy to set up. Actually, once you know how to re-program, it too is an easy set-up.

Definitely worth the money (I got a great price here at Amazon). As good, if not better picture than anything else I have seen, even in the showrooms. FIVE STARS!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2011
I was expecting to replace my media player (ASUS) using this one. I believed that it will be faster, easier to use and would support everything I need. So to cut the cr** here are pros and cons.
- Fast. Boot, MKV rewind, Network Access.
- HDMI CEC together with Viera TV works perfectly! There is much more than it is required according to CEC standard. Navigation, options works using TV remote.
- Works fine with Windows 7 shared folders and DLNA.
- I thought touchless sensor is not relevant, but my kids like it a lot and they do not touch the equipment :)
- MKV and DTS combinations are supported.
- SETUP IS EASY. If you have normal TV (HDMI CEC and HDMI ARC) then setup of TV/AV Receiver/Player can be done using wizard. No additional settings need to be changed.
- Option to turn off TV while playing music. Works correctly and does not turn off AV receiver.
- BD-RE with movies works fine.
- Completely silent. That is awesome.

- "Play to" aka Media Renderer function is buggy or maybe it is router. Don't know. Stops playing after couple of minutes
- No MPEG2 support in MKV.
- USB supports only divx and mkv videos. That is nonsense, cause to backup your DVD collection you will need pay additional $ to divx. This is hidden and you will discover the fact only when you buy the player.
- It is nonsense that there are different formats supported on BD-RE and BD-R disks. MKV is not supported on BD-RE. Even VOB files are not recognized on BD-RE, though they claim that "Video" is supported on DVD/BD-R/BD-RE discs.
- USB sticks with exFAT are not supported. So if you have larger file you will have to buy expensive SDHC cards or use hard drive. It is stupid, but USB HDD with exFAT are supported, but USB sticks are not.
- No MKV chapter navigation, so you have to rewind the video.
- Changing subtitles or audio channels is incovenient. Really inconvenient.

Overall: Good quality and almost easy to operate, but inconsistent/incomplete format/external device support.

UPDATE AFTER ~2011-09 firmware:
+ Now it has normal support for MPEG 2 in MKV with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles. There is still no support for PGS subtitles and chapter navigation, however player now seem to ignore unsupported things instead of throwing error messages.
+ It seems that "Play to" bugs are gone, but it is hard to say for sure.
- MKV with VC-1 streams still not supported
- HDMV PGS subtitles in MKV are not supported.
- "Play to" works with LAN cable only. This just doesn't make sense. Why would you pay extra money for integrated wifi if you still need cable.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 12, 2011
This is Panasonic's top of the line player for 2011 and it offers excellent audio and video performance, super-fast boot-up and disc loading and a nice selection of internet streaming features such as VUDU, Netflix, Pandora and even Skype. But bizarrely enough, Panasonic dropped support for the popular Divx audio/video codec this year, even while adding support for MKV files, so if you want to use this as a home media playback hub, you may be disappointed.

Faster, Pussycat!

To address user complaints of slow disc loading times and an ugly menu, Panasonic has made some big improvements this year in both areas. With Quick Start enabled, the unit boots up in about a second, or 16 seconds with Quick Start turned off. Once it's powered up, a standard DVD ("Gladiator") loads to the Paramount logo in about 17 seconds. A Blu-ray ("Resident Evil: Apocalypse") loads to the Sony logo in about 15 seconds and a BD-Java disc ("Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl") gets past the spinning coins to the Disney logo in an impressive 28 seconds. These are all noticeably improved over the 2010 players and are up there among the fastest players we've tested.

In terms of the menu navigation, the 2011 players have a new graphically oriented splash screens with icons that represent various media or activities: network, video, photos, etc. It's a big plus over the previous models' splash screen because, well... there wasn't one. If you click on the set-up icon, you get taken into the familiar-looking text based menu from earlier players, where you can set virtually every aspect of the player from audio to video to 3D settings to network options. Speaking of which, the BDT310 includes built-in WiFi as well as a network port so you can connect to your home network (and from there to the internet) with or without a wire. This worked fine for us in the "auto" mode, connecting to a Cisco/Linksys 802.11n dual band router. The speed was ample via WiFi to stream HD content from Netflix and even HDX 1080p movies from VUDU. It also works well with Skype to receive or send video calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world. The video voice mail is a nice feature as it allows callers to leave a video message if you're unavailable to take a call. This feature requires an SD, SDHX or SDXC card of at least 1 GB be inserted into the player - we'd recommend at least 4GB so you have enough storage for messages.

We did notice a couple of anomalies in streaming though - on Netflix, when the player adjusts the video rate to accommodate changes in your network's connection speed, you may see occasional black frames in the image. This didn't happen often enough to be irritating, but it is worth mentioning. Also, though the player supports Blu-ray 3D Discs, and includes 2D to 3D conversion as an option, it does not support 3D movies on the VUDU service. If you look in VUDU's "Collections" and select the 3D collection, it will say "No results found" instead of listing the 2 dozen or so 3D movies available on VUDU. At present time, Samsung is one of the few vendors to support VUDU 3D playback in their Blu-ray players and TVs. We have contacted Panasonic about this and they are unsure whether this can be added in a firmware upgrade but they are looking into it.

Cross the Streams!

If you do enjoy watching 2D content (movies or TV shows) via streaming sources such as Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and VUDU, the BDT310 is a a great choice. Panasonic made some enhancements to its Uniphier video processor in 2011 so that the full suite of video scaling and chroma upconversion processing is applied to streaming sources, in addition to disc playback. Earlier Panasonic Blu-ray players only applied a limited amount of video processing to streaming sources. This means streaming sources look better than ever, and better than they do on most other vendors' Blu-ray players or streaming set-top boxes. Panasonic also enhanced the chroma conversion processor for DVD upconversion so your collection of existing DVDs will be played back with good detail and nicely saturated colors, and with the option of 24p playback (24 frames/second) which is great for movie purists. Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D playback are excellent, as they are on most modern Blu-ray 3D players. Not much to report here but we noticed no audio or video glitches on Blu-ray playback. "Avatar" in particular looks sweet in 3D with the Blu-ray 3D disc you'll get free via the mail-in rebate on this player.

We ran the player through the standard set of video test patterns and clips on the HQV Benchmark and Spears and Munsil discs and found that it passed all of the tests for diagonal filtering, de-interlacing, chroma upconversion and cadence detection, with the only noticeable artifacts occurring in the less common film/video cadences which aren't that wideley used on Blu-ray or DVD. All in all, the DVD upconversion quality is excellent and comparable to much more expensive players.

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Although Panasonic has not enhanced their rather lackluster DLNA home networking support from last year's models, they did add MKV file format support to this year's players (yay!). These can be played back from a USB-attached flash drive or HDD. But they took away support for the Divx and Xvid codecs (boo!). So if you have a big collection of videos in Divx format, or subscribe to one of the online services that delivers Divx-encoded content (Like Warner Brothers' WBShop), then this player is probably not for you. Panasonic says they eliminated Divx support in order to cut costs associated with the licensing fees. I hope they reconsider this for next year's players as it was nice to be able to play back Divx videos from the earlier players.

Finishing Touches

In terms of usability and connectivity, the DMP-BDT310 lacks component video outputs but it offers dual HDMI outputs. This is nice if you have a 1 or 2-year old HDMI-switching home theater receiver that lacks 3D passthrough support. You can plug the main HDMI out directly into a 3D-ready TV and use the other to connect to your receiver so you can take full advantage of the lossless high definition audio codecs on Blu-ray (DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD). Panasonic also offers a free iPad/iPhone app to control the player. In addition to supporting full playback controls and navigation, Panasonic includes an exact visual duplicate of the factory remote as an image in the app, so if you lose your remote, you won't lose any of the functionality. Unfortunately they missed an opportunity here to include any kind of keyboard so setting up your streaming accounts (Pandora, Netflix, VUDU, etc.) is still a painstaking process of clicking and tapping away on the numeric keypad or moving the cursor around on a virtual keyboard with the left and right arrow buttons. The player also offers a motion-activated eject function which opens the disc tray with a wave of the hand. This may be fun at parties but I found it mostly useless so I disabled it early in the testing.

Turn Ons:

* Nicely improved GUI
* Loads discs quickly
* Excellent audio and video performance on discs and streaming sources
* Good selection of streaming providers and apps
* Built-in WiFi
* iPod control

Turn Offs:

* Lacks Divx/XVid support
* No built-in storage for BD-Live and Skype video voice mail (requires SD card)
* iPhone app lacks a keyboard
* VUDU implementation does not support 3D (yet)
* Skype usage requires specific models of Panasonic or Freetalk camera (more expensive than most webcams)

The Bottom Line: if you're looking for a fast, high performance Blu-ray player with great DVD upconversion and a nice selection of streaming features, the DMP-BDT310 makes an excellent choice. But if Divx video file playback is important to you, you'll need to look elsewhere. Oh, and if you don't need that second HDMI output, then check out the nearly identical Panasonic DMP-BDT210 which is a bit cheaper and offers identical performance.

A more comprehensive and detailed review of the player is available on our web site (Big Picture Big Sound).
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2011
I was at first a little wary about upgrading to the DMP-BDT310 because of its integrated Wi-Fi. The only reason I wanted to upgrade was for its ability to play back 3D content. I had bought the 3D kit for my new 3D-ready Mitsubishi 72" projection TV.

Hooking everything up was a breeze. The TV/entertainment center is in the great room, which is all windows and bright as the sun during the day. I had always heard it best to view 3D DVDs in the darkness for full effect. I wasn't about to wait until nighttime to try out the 3D Blu-ray disk that came with the kit. I turned on the Blu-ray player and inserted the 3D disk. The 3D adapter from the kit automatically turned on. I put the wireless glasses over my prescription glasses and -- WOW! The Blu-ray DVD that comes with the kit is really a Disney promo thing that showcases their 3D movies. I ended up buying a few of the 3D titles featured just because they suddenly looked interesting to me. The 3D effects are that stunning. And this was in broad daylight on a rear-projection television set.

My DSL modem is a wireless router. I have two computers that share the signal from the router. In effect, I've set up a very small home network. To be honest, Windows actually set it up for me. All I had to do was enter the security code (written on the side of the router) when Windows asked me to. I did that for both computers and suddenly the two PCs were "talking" to each other and sharing the same signal from the router.

"That was easy," I thought. I decided to press my luck and bought a wireless printer. Setting it up was a bit more of a hassle because I didn't know anything about encryption settings. The only setting I had ever heard of was WEP, which I believe was once the default for Windows. The encryption setting of the router and the setting in Windows must match in order for the router to communicate with your Windows computer. I had no problems setting up the Home Network because both Windows and the router just happened to have the same encryption setting: WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES).

I was trying to get the printer to communicate with the modem using the WEP encryption setting. The printer asked me which setting I wanted. I had never heard of WPA or WPA2. And I certainly didn't know that WPA and WPA2 were the new defaults for Windows; just like I didn't know the router's default setting was WPA/WPA2. Trial and error and looking at the router's setting made me realize I needed to set the printer's encryption setting to WPA/WPA2. I then entered the router's key into the printer's panel and, yay!, the printer was now on the network. Windows recognized the printer and automatically downloaded and installed the right drivers for it.

So no more kicking sand and saying I would get around to it. It was now time to make the DMP-BDT310 Blu-ray player part of my modest home network. Man, how I was dreading it. I prepared myself to spend hours tinkering with settings. I turned on the Blu-ray player. I used the Blu-ray's remote control to highlight "Network" on the Blu-ray player's first screen. I followed the prompts and the player "found" my network. It asked me to enter the router's key. I did that and -- yes, it was that easy -- the Blu-ray player joined the home network.

I pressed the green "VIERA CAST" button on the remote. I had heard of Viera Cast before, but I had no idea what it was. But as soon as I pressed the button, WOW! There were literally dozens of "destinations" or sites on the Internet to select from -- sites that have video content. For example, you could select YouTube, sign in to your account (if you want), and watch YouTube videos on your TV! Or you can select Amazon, look at your own Amazon video library, or rent an Amazon video, and watch it now or later. I immediately rented "Bridesmaids" and watched it two days later. The picture and sound were beautiful. HULU was another choice, as was Netflix. There were so many to choose from, but I'm new to this, so I didn't recognize most of them.

However, one I did recognize was SKYPE. Long-distance video phone calls for free.

Finally, another thing I had heard of, but never knew what it was, is something called BD Live. Some Blu-ray disks have the BD Live feature, and some don't. Apparently, if you select BD Live from the disk's menu, your player connects to the Internet and downloads additional content that you can watch and interact with (using the Blu-ray player's remote). The content may be games, documentaries and interviews, and even a way to rearrange the scenes in the movie to make your own movie.

To be able to download BD Live content, the Blu-ray player requires additional storage in the form of a SD Memory Card. The front panel opens on the player and the SD card slot is immediately visible. The specs for the SD Memory card are listed in the player's manual, which can be downloaded directly from Panasonic's website. The SD card that you insert for BD Live programming should be empty and formatted, again, according to the manual's specifications.

But if you have content, like pictures or videos, on your SD card, you can insert it into the Blu-ray player and watch it all on your TV.

Oh, by the way, if you have the player in your network -- meaning, it's communicating with your wireless router -- you don't have to worry about looking at the manufacturer's website for FIRMWARE updates. You can set the player to search, download and install firmware updates automatically, or you can do it manually.

At the end of it all, I suppose what really matters is the quality of the video and audio that the DMP-BDT310 is capable of. With Blu-day disks, whether 2D or 3D, the picture and sound are phenomenal. When it plays regular DVDs, it must up-convert because the typical pixelization artifacts (seen so clearly on a 72" TV) are not there. The picture from a regular DVD is not as sharp as that from a Blu-ray disk, but the picture is clean.

I realize this is a long review, but I hope it's been helpful for people like me -- people who want something nice, easy to use, and cutting edge in terms of technology, but want to learn about it without feeling lost ("What's Viera Cast? What's BD Live? What's an SD Memory Card? Where do I get firmware updates?") or intimidated by the techno jargon used by bona fide video aficionados.

Simply put: "Is the DMP-BDT310 a really good player, and does it have features that I can actually learn to use and enjoy?"

Emphatically, the answer to that is "Yes!"
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2011
Reason I bought this item: plays DVDs, upscales DVDs, plays Blu-Ray, streams BOTH Amazon & Netflix, and is highly rated on both Amazon and on various tech sites (Wired, Cnet, etc).

First blush (2011-0611):

The player is smaller than I imagined which is nice. Set up was easy. Turned unit on and got the easily navigated menu system. Some menu options are a tad convoluted but in general ok. The player automatically updated firmware on its own. Load time for Viera cast (internet options) is somewhat slower than I expected. Amazon streams just fine, but don't expect the remote functions to allow you to navigate your Amazon videos (play, pause, etc). Amazon quality is actually very good on my 1080i 42in tv. Skype button and Netflix buttons on remote are nice.

Upconversion of DVD is great. I believe DVDs are either 480 or 720 and I have never seen a clearer DVD on this tv before. Finally seeing Jason & Sookie Stackhouse in such clarity on this tv is great.

Now to Netflix. The Netflix sign on screen is fine. But my netflix account and password are alphanumeric. The dadblasted remote, despite the alphanumeric numberpad will only enter numbers. The instructions conveniently do not mention how to enter letters using the numberpad. So as of yet, I have not streamed Netflix.

If I cannot get Netflix to work, then I will probably give it one more shot with a replacement item before returning.

Update with Netflix-HowTo (2011-0613):
Got Netflix working per instructions from Rykker & Roxme listed in the review for the BDT210. In the Netflix log on screen, pressing the "OK" button brings up the text entry field. It is slow, clunky, and could be desinged better, but hey it works. Got into Netflix and can see my account.

Current (2011-0725):
Great great beautiful Blu-ray and upconversion. Superb.
Sound is full and amazing straight out of my tv.
Netflix app video quality is great but there are some MAJOR issues with the app itself (sound, video, remote, help)
Amazon great, no complaints.
I'm not sure at this point which is better: an HTPC (like a Dell Zino or Acer Aspire Revo) or the Panasonic BDT310.

Video quality in general is superb.
Upconversion is excellent.
Sound quality excellent.
(the 3 above beat all other services or devices I've ever had.)
Apps like Bloomberg & Weather.
Streaming via Netflix or Amazon generally crystal clear.
Menu pop-ups are pretty nice.

Usability needs more thorough QAQC
(Needs a few more buttons on the remote to permit easy navigation to/within webservices (page up / down), VieraCast load is slow, the VC user interface is customizable but only just.)
Needs more straightforward instructions on the screen or in the manual (Netflix sign on screen problems; probably Nf's fault since the Twitter & Pandora apps are much better.)
Apps & content are few.

VieraCast: navigation is slow & tiresome.

Skype: usable if you drop another $100+ for the accessory, so, not usable.

1) slow, screen real estate poor, navigating in Netflix is slow and tiresome.
(The remote needs page up / down buttons for this; a feature which could be applied elsewhere.)
2) bizarre black screen! Often the whole screen turns black, sometimes just parts, just like someone is walking in front of the movie projector. Me no gusta! Creepy.
3) sometimes there is no sound. Come back in several hours without chaning anything, sound.

Amazon VOD:
clarity is great! Instructions on how to navigate using the included remote are in the comments thread from the user, "I Love Amazon."
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2011
After getting over some HDMI issues, this 3D Bluray player is breathtaking paired with my new panny 65"GT. The 3D is even better than I expected. Highly recommended.

For anyone with the HDMI issue with older Receiver, please read:

Turn on your HDTV, 3D Bluray, and Receiver. You will not have HD audio yet, or may not have audio at all. Switch your HDMI input on your HDTV to another input that is not the 3D bluray player. Next, put your receiver input on another input that is not the 3D bluray player. Wait a few seconds. Next, on the receiver press the input for the 3d bluray player. You should now have your sound and in HD! Next, on your HDTV, press HDMI input to bluray player. Now you have your beautiful video and audio. Hope I made sense.

I wish panasonic would update their manual, so people with legacy receiver would know this info.

Originally wrote this on 6-3-11

I have a Onkyo SR805 Receiver. When I set up audio and video through the first HDMI output everything works great. Get picture and HD sound on receiver. My receiver is not 3D, hence the reason I purchased the Panny with 2 HDMI. When I try to set up main HDMI to HDTV, I can see picture and it works. When I set up HDMI (SUB) and send audio to Onkyo SR805 receiver I dont get any sound and it seems like it keeps trying to make a connection, but just cant. I have all correct setting. HDMI audio to ON. HDMI(SUB) output Mode to "V.OFF" All setting to Bitstream. Really fustrating. My new 3D Panny GT65 will arrive on Tuesday. I hope someone can clear this up.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2011
The bang-for-buck ration is excellent. A fast-loading Blu-ray player, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Skype, built-in Wi-fi, the motion-sensor to open the tray, HDMI for audio, very easy-to-use menu system, and Netflix and Skype button on the remote... and all for less than $200.

But there are two things I absolutely hate about this machine.

First, Netflix flashes black for a split second, two or three times in a row. The audio does NOT skip, so this is not a buffering issue. It's a total mystery. Sometimes, it doesn't happen at all; at other times, it happens every 10 to 20 minutes. It's so exceptionally annoying that when it happens, I turn it off, and watch Netflix from my Wii. I'd rather watch something in standard resolution with no skipping than in HD with skipping. Panasonic just updated the firmware but the problem remains.

Second, browsing Netflix is unbearably slow. Torture. On the Wii, you can browse as fast as your fingers can press the button AND you can move from full description to the next movie's full description. With this Panasonic browser, you must navigate into the movie details, then back out, move to the next movie, and then open its details. I cannot understand for the life of me why the Panasonic interface is, not ONLY so bad, but so inferior to a relatively old game console.

If your household watches a lot Netflix, you should consider skipping this model.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2011
I've only had the DMP-BDT310 for about a week, and I'm already in love. I'm constantly impressed that Panasonic was able to cram such a large feature-set into such an incredibly small package, and at such a reasonable price.

Some backstory: I probably don't need another Blu-Ray player. I'm coming from two very fine BD decks that have provided me with an impeccable viewing experience thus far: a Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD and a Sony BDP-S5000ES. These are located in my main room; the DMP-BDT310 is placed in another room that still gets a lot of use and is replacing a PS3. As feature-packed as the PS3 is, I don't play games and find using it to watch Netflix or discs to be cumbersome, and thusly often avoid watching BD discs in this room. With new features like 3D and internet apps built into literally every new BD player, my trustworthy BD players were starting to look lonely. So I felt that unavoidable itch that many A/V hobbyists often feel - that "gotta have new stuff" itch.

Enter the Panasonic 310. Minus an analog multi-channel out, I don't see what features it's missing. It has 2D To 3D conversion, a feature shared by even their entry-level 3D Blu-Ray player, but conspicuously absent from most competing players. It has a sub HDMI out, a major selling point for me -- if (more likely when) I upgrade my TV set to a 3D-capable model, I can pass lossless audio through to my HDMI 1.3 receiver via the second HDMI cable. But the biggest surprise to me was how FAST this player is, from simply just turning on to loading a Blu-Ray disc; it literally takes a matter of seconds. I could make a sandwich during the time my Pioneer takes to load some discs. Coming from a Pioneer and Sony, it's nice to see that the 310 doesn't lack a plethora of video and audio adjustments, e.g. chroma upsampling, detail enhancement, and the option to turn off analog circuitry for more detailed audio (admittedly, the TV I have this player connected to doesn't use a high-quality external speaker system, but as I plan on moving the Panasonic into my main A/V setup eventually, having such audio options is much appreciated). Video performance when watching this player is top-notch; detailed, rich, and to my eyes, slightly preferable to the picture quality delivered by the PS3.

Blu-Ray players have become a commodity in 2011, and as such manufacturers don't put quite so much stock into build-quality of their players anymore. Panasonic is no exception here, but the player, which weighs in just under 4 (!!) pounds - seems reasonably well built enough. it is incredibly thin and it's nice to see Panasonic still add in some differentiating flair on this model: the stippled pattern on top and the touch-free sensor. The stippling on top doesn't add any functionality -- I simply find it to be a nice touch. But the touch-free sensor is a completely pointless luxury feature that for some reason I can't help waving my hand over like a moron again and again (even when I don't have a disc to put in the tray). I love it!

And now comes the internet feature-set. All the major staples are here: Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, and YouTube, along with some assorted odds and ends. I basically use only Netflix; the interface on the 310 is identical that of the PS3, and functions in the same way - it seems to start playing video at low quality and work its way up to HD after about half a minute or so. I find it a bit annoying, as my Apple TV doesn't do that; I'd still have to give the slight edge to the Apple TV for Netflix Streaming, even tough it maxes out at 720p, it seems to give a more detailed image with fewer artifacts, but overall the 310's performance is still excellent in this area. One thing I find a bit confusing and slightly disappointing about the 310 is that it uses the less-polished version of Panasonic's internet suite, 2010's Viera Cast, instead of the newer Viera Connect found on their 2011 plasmas, meaning it lacks the Viera Connect Market and is generally a bit sluggish. Sometimes it is very slow to populate the launch page with apps, but aside from that it's all gravy.

Aside from the small hiccup in the way of network implementation, I can't find any faults with the 310. It's an incredible value; an incredible player packed to the gills with cutting edge features, whether it's your first or fifth Blu-Ray deck. Highly recommended.

Update: A few days ago Panasonic released a firmware update to upgrade the Viera Cast on this player to the newer Viera Connect, including the Market app. It seems to have fewer apps available for download than the Viera-Connect equipped plasmas, but It's great to see Panasonic making an effort to add functionality to an already feature-packed player. As such, I'm changing my review from four to five stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...