Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: simplehuman Wide-Step Rectangular Step Trash Can, Stainless Steel, 38 L / 10 Gal
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on August 15, 2013
I bought this trash can because my three lovely dogs viewed my garbage as their own personal gourmet buffet. Oh, they were smart enough to not do it around me... but as soon as the lights went out at night, or I left for work during the day, they were gorging away on my thrown out bones, veggie ends, and apple cores. Ever had to clean up a pile of chewed-up aluminum that had been into your dog's stomach and, subsequently, vomited out on your clean floor? Let me tell you, friend, it's no fun at all.

After one particularly disgusting clean up, I had a screaming fit, threw around some dish rags, ordered them outside, and sat down to find a better trash can. Harriet, my plastic garbage can, was just not cutting it. (I painted a face on the lid, so it was necessary to give her a name.) I searched all over the internets for recommendations and kept being steered towards the simplehuman steel trash cans. I decided to throw caution to the wind and plunk down the dinero to make one of these my own.

After several breathless days of waiting, and having to put my trashcan on my clothes dryer to keep it away from the dogs, it arrived! I took it out of the box and gazed upon its glory. So brushed steel-y. So heavy duty. So... magnificent. Ever since I started using it, I have not had ONE mess to clean up due to the dogs knocking it over. I am more than pleased with its performance and, quite frankly, it was well worth the cost.

Harriett has since been demoted to a recycle bin. Poor, poor Harriett.

(If I wasn't already married, and if I was a trash can myself, I would totally get married to it... I love it that much.)
22 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2014
Can I justify the price? No.

My coworkers called me crazy when they saw this behemoth get delivered by the UPS guy. "Simple Human? Oh, they make good stuff but it's expensive!" My other coworker responds, "Expensive? Like $40?"

Now, there comes a point in every person's life when they must answer a question or inquiry knowing the fact that this answer would bombard them with judgment. Oh boy, was I judged.

"No... It was $140."

I don't think I need to say the rest but I was judged.

The trashcan looks good and seems to be well-built. I don't know what I was expecting, it is just a trashcan. I guess I'm still too young to be buying these things where I feel like I need the best of anything that I buy and I am unwilling to settle knowing I got something crappy.

Thanks for letting me confide in you.
on January 7, 2013
I did not purchase this through Amazon, but at my local military exchange. Being at a military installation options are often limited, at best, and this was the only kitchen size trash can available. I had concerns about the price and if a standard trash bag would fit, again limited supply.

After bring the can home, my first impressions were very high. My wife's first question was "How much did it cost. It looks pretty expensive." It is well constructed and easy to use. The step function works well and the slow closing lid is a nice touch. The non-marking stainless steel is very nice and clean up is very easy. It looks to be well designed and I hope it lasts a long time.

I am using a 40 liter value brand bag (non-sinch type) with great results. There is a hole (about the size of a quarter) in the back of the can insert that I push the excess bag through which tightens the top of the bag around the can. It works great!

Would I have purchased this particular can if there would have been an option? Maybe not, but it is a nice addition to my kitchen. If your looking for something to add to the look of your nice kitchen then I would highly recommend this Simplehuman trash can.
on August 13, 2013
I bought this trash can to replace one (from another manufacturer) that had finally broken after a million years of heavy use. I wanted white, which is hard to find (why does everyone want chrome?), and a large size to handle recycling. The can seems to be extremely well made, the lid closes slowly & gently, & the mechanism doesn't bang up the wall paint, which my last one did. It was shipped quickly & arrived extremely well packed. I've been using it about 3 weeks with absolutely no problems. Highly recommended based on this limited experience!
on May 1, 2014
Works well, looks good. Using the manufacturer's bags which are perfect--but you could use common kitchen trash bags as liners as well. Looked at many cans and am pleased with this one. It goes against the cupboard--you don't have to set it far away in order to allow the lid to rise. Good design from that aspect.
on April 27, 2013
Tips a little bit when you step on the pedal and it isn't full. Other than that it slow closing lit works perfectly and it looks excellent.
on March 21, 2014
Overall the trash can is nice.

mine came in perfect packaging of the simplehuman box inside another box. I bought it directly from the manufacturer since it has a long warranty, and I regret doing so.

first simplehuman responded to my email noting damage although it came nicely packaged that they wanted to file a claim with UPS. Ugh. Unethical and paying no attention to what was written.

Ok, back to the actual unit. The rivets on top are silver not white.
the enamel is nice, but the design of the sheetmetal lid I think is the flaw making it likely this lid defect will be common. If it had more of an arch or was thicker it probably wouldn't have this issue. In dim diffused lighting it is not very evident. I have a high ceiling and have a chandelier in the kitchen with uplights. That reflection is distorted in the coating. On the center of the left and right sides and the forward corners too. The middle ones are two dips on each side. If it didnt cost what it did and had simplehuman been apolegetic instead of stating the product was inspected before packaging, I may have kept it. The rivets on top not being white and just casting a shadow looks unfinished. In later models I imagine there wont be so much black plastic. Although the pedal is silver it looks very finished.

I bought this unit to replace a stainless steel version in my white with oil rubbed bronze kitchen. My old one from maybe 7 yrs ago is still in great shape. Just wanted the pedal on the long side like this one along with the white color and easier to wipe down enamel.

I expect I will wait for next years model... I liked this more than the rubbermaid's more commercial design.

if u have diffused side light u might not notice. If u are a stickler for quality it may bother you too.

Another reason to buy from this site is the competition estimated a specific delivery date equivalent to 2 or 3 day free shipping and it wound up being more like 10days. I have amazon prime so it was supposed to be as fast.

The lid has a small plastic red 'switch' u slide left to prevent the lid from going down. Its not as intuitive as their previous manually lifting the lid causing it to remain open. Felt the stay open aspect and the lift mechanism was flimsier. It doesnt open any quieter than the last but does close nice and quiet as advertised.

In short, its pretty nice but leaves a few things to be desired. I expect the next model will be improved as more people become interested in the classic white again. I love my quality white enamel fridge and range. I only sortof like this even aside from the dings in the lid.
White is a huge pro and rare in enamel or even paint.

While I wrote this review simplehuman wrote back and finally I hope has indicated I can get a free return shipping label without having to order a replacement unit thru them as the last email stated. This time they gave me a link.
on December 6, 2013
Great trash can. Operates well. Doesn't smudge too badly, and it's easy to just wipe clean with a damp paper towel. My 2 year old did play with something sharp on the lid, so now there are scratch marks, but it's even difficult to see those. My two dogs have not knocked it over or gotten into it yet. They do sniff the lid, which is right on their level, but that seems to be it. Sturdy. The lid closes quietly.
I'm not sure how many people could love a trash can, but I do. My last one was electronic and it died. I swore I would get a mechanical one, but I didn't want ugly. Expensive for a trash can, yes, but I chose well. My husband says so. What he would think if he knew how much this thing costs, I don't know. But I like it, so let's not spoil it.

So far, so good. Outside, it's sleek with clean lines. No fingerprints, no way. I don't need to polish it. Who wants to polish a trash can? Little details make it sweet -- like a switch to keep the lid open, a hole to keep the bag tight, and a lip to hold the inner can in the air so we don't have to take the whole thing out to pull out the bag.

I was debating the size, but 10 gallons is a good kitchen size. I'm using the J size bags it came with, but I will try the standard tall kitchen bags when we run out.

I'm very happy with this trash can, even for the price.
on December 28, 2014
this is the best trash can I have ever used. Its easy to install a new bag, dose not omit any smells, easy to clean in and out sides. Very user friendly with a lock to keep the lid open when installing new bag or if u need to keep it open while cooking. The lid dose not slam shut but slowly closes by its self.
review image review image review image