Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG 60PV450 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 12, 2011
OK, I love this television. It is completely silent, cool running, amazing picture (after adjusting the settings properly) and had all of the features I wanted for a price point that couldn't be passed up.

Pros:
* 3 HDMI ports
* Silent even with my ear right next to the set
* Rotatable stand (my wife hates being off center but her chair is far to the left so she can rotate it to face her)
* Decent speakers (get loud enough but nothing mind blowing but not bad either)
* NO BLUE LEDs, infact when the set is on NO LEDs are on at all. Just a small red one for standby which turns off when the set turns on
* Loads of advanced settings available without having to enter into locked service menus.
* Picture is bright in my opinion (not LED TV bright but more than enough for my needs)
* Price (paid 6 c-notes during Fry's easter deal)
* Super fast response time (no lag at all in any games)
* No real burn-in issues even with games being played (after the first 100hr burn-in time where static images were avoided).
* After calibration great rich blacks.

Neither here nor there:
* Touch sensitive buttons on front panel (cool as hell but can be a bit annoying trying to hit a button in the dark).
* USB video and pictures (don't really use this at all)

Cons:
* No bells and whistles (not a con for me but maybe for others).
* Like any shiny TV glare is an issue.
* Settings out of the box leave something to be desired at best.
* Not 3D (once again I didn't want this but for others this maybe a con).

Now with all of that said, if you don't use a good advanced calibration profile this TV can be pretty off on the picture at points (whites a bit yellow, over saturation on certain colors, dim screen etc.). I used the calibration settings posted by blacknoir at the avsforum and then did the picture wizard to tweak it a bit further and the difference is nothing short of incredible. Crisp whites, excellent contrast, skin is the proper color, etc. This set became by far the most natural looking set I have seen in a long time. Now mind you this natural looking set wouldn't sell in stores next to the heavily over exposed settings they use to catch your eye. It wouldn't help if I talked about all of this without posting my settings for you. So here we go.

If I have any comments or explanations I will post them next to the setting. Also, these will not replace the quality of a professional calibration because all panels are slightly different. That being said this will get you pretty close.

Settings used:
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 1 (Expert 2 is fine as well, these are just 2 slots to store an advanced profile and access the advanced settings)
Contrast: 77 (will likely change after Picture Wizard but this is a good starting point)
Brightness: 53 (will likely change after Picture Wizard but this is a good starting point)
H. Sharp: 39 (will likely change after Picture Wizard but this is a good starting point)
V. Sharp: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Color Temp: W30 (This setting is hidden to find it, click on tint-->you will get the gray bar at the bottom of the screen to adjust tint-->press the down arrow and there it appears

Now select Expert control
Edge Enhancement: Off
White Balance: Warm
Method: 20 Point IRE
Pattern: Outer

Now comes the IRE part. This part is a bit confusing in how it is implemented. Basically, each time you select an IRE value treat the values below it as a new set of values. Why they did it this way I have no clue. Anyways here are the values (as you will see some are REALLY far off):
Also incase you can't figure it out r=red g=green b=blue.
5 ire r=0 g=0 b=0

Cyan color -2
Cyan tint -2
Magenta color -3
Magenta tint -10

There we go. As you can see it will take some work to enter these in. Don't forget after entering these to run the picture wizard to tweak the brightness and contrast and stuff. After all of this you will have an AMAZING lifelike set.

PS: All TVs should have this done because even the best TV makers design their presets to sell the TVs not to have the most natural look (vivid sells in the store but looks like crap at home).

EDIT: In response to a question to this review: Film Mode will only be available if the source material is 1080p or 1080i. Any other resolution will cause the Film Mode option to be blurred out. So in that case just ignore it.

EDIT2 (1/72011): THe user computertech pointed out a typo in my calibration settings list. The blue setting for IRE 80 should have been -50 and I had left off the -. I have updated the chart but if you set it before this update, please note the change. Sorry for the mistake.
3636 comments|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
I bought this TV about a week ago and was a little depressed when I hooked it up to my provider because I had yet to call an order my HD, the picture was good, but not great. I called the next morning, ordered the HD, flipped on ESPN and was absolutley dazzled. The picture is crisp, clear, vibrant, and just looks uttlerly amazing. I am not a big 3D fan, so the basic model was more than enough for me, and for the price, the value is amazing. Regarding glare, I have read prior reviews that this is a problem with LG tvs, I have mine in a basment with windows so there is quite a bit of light andi was worried, but much to my delight ,the is glare is very minimal. As far as the menu and adjustments they are both very easy to use, I just keep the itelligent sensor on most of the time and it provides a very accurate picture, sometimes a tad too dark, but usually its right on. Sound is also decent from what I can remeber for the first night, but I have soundbar hooked up so I havent experiences too much on that. BUY THIS TV, you will LOVE IT!
on April 23, 2011
I've owned this plasma for a week now and bought it in the store for $800 plus tax. Im a videophile and am a picky person when it comes to my tv's. This is the 3rd set ive owned in 2 years. The first was an lg 1080p 55 inch, well that's went south quick because fast moving images would become blocky so I took it back. Then I bought a 32 1080p sony LCD and it the picture looked good somtimes but most of the time it had blotchy colors and terrible shadow details no matter what setting you used, then the screen started to band (dark lines on it). Then I went to samsung LED and the back light bleed in all corners ruined movies for me the tech came to fix it and made it worst, took it back the next day.

Ok so I went looking for a new plasma, which ive heard always made movies look better, and plasmas are favorites by most people who watch a lot of movies. Ive always been scared off by the burn in effect. So after a lot of research I got this one the price and picture was I was looking for. I will say this on the picky side of things for movie lover. The 16x9 black bars you see on most films with not be pitch black, they are VERY close but no matter what ya you do they will be a few shades off. They are even in color and it doesn't bother me compared to the LCD/LED ones that are black in the middle and grey on the ends. Also this tv has some sort of Fluid motion tech built into it, much like 120 hz Lcds have it makes the motion more fluid. No plasmas don't need this because they work differently, but LG must think people want movies to look more life like, but the fluid motion ruins movies and makes them look cheap and make the motions look too fast for their own good. My only complaint is I don't know how to turn this feature off. I see a film mode option, but it wont let me select it?????? The image colors are rich and sharp and if you tweak them you will find what your looking for.

It does have burn in protection options, no problems with any burn in, but im careful and dont leave static images on for very long. Now let me give you a heads up on ghosting/ image retention. Sometimes if you leave for ex: a dvd menu with static images on for about 5-10 minutes and then you go to a dark screen you will seen some of that menu still. DONT BE SCARED, this will go away within a minute and is normal, its just the phospers fading away and as soon as another images comes on the screen it washes all the old stuff off, it will NOT effect the pic quality. So after 2 LCDS AND 1 LED I went to plasma and am finally happy with the sturdy quality of the screen and the 600 hz the tv has to offer, no more shuttery images and back light bleed.
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2011
I just bought this TV from amazon.com yesterday and spent most of today with it. Here are my top of mind comments, hopefully they can be helpful to others considering this HDTV.

PROS:
+ A Good Value. The price/screen ratio - as well as the features - are simply unmatched (especially compared to LED/LCDS of a similar size).

+ Picture Quality. The picture quality is also very good. Vibrant colors, easy to adjust picture with advanced user controls. Only took me about 5 minutes of tinkering to find a setting that works well.

+ Thinner than most plasmas of late. This HDTV is pretty thin and many will be surprised it's a plasma (it looks more like LCD/LED thin, which is a good thing).

+ Highly rated Quality/Reliability. I checked out the latest consumer reports ratings and LG - along with Panasonic - receive the highest ratings in terms of quality and reliability in the plasma TV space.

CONS:

- Glare. No surprise here if you've read the other reviews on this site and elsewhere. But I do want to put this into context. It's not a deal breaker, it's more of an occasional distraction. Let me explain:

My TV is in my living room which has two big windows, one on each side of the TV. With the blinds mostly closed, glare is only occasionally a problem when the tv has an bright image, but in darker scenes, if you look closely, you CAN often see your reflection in the TV. (I have only a wall behind me, no lights).

Most of the time this is not a big deal but this can be kinda distracting if the movie you're watching is dark. I find myself having to close my blinds completely - even during the day - if I want to completely eliminate the glare - something I've NEVER had to do with my 50" Panasonic Viera plasma (2009) also with no anti-reflective screen. This is why i dropped one star from the otherwise stellar HDTV.

BOTTOM LINE:

Would I have re-bought this TV if I could do it all over again? Yes. But with two caveats:

1. If they had put an anti-reflective screen on this TV it would have been one of the best TV's in the value space. As it stands, I'd rate this tv in the 85th/90th percentile for this size and price. The glare really is the only issue, and as issues go, it's a pretty minor fault espcially since it can be resolved by controlling the light in your room.

2. I kinda wish I had upgraded to the LG model with the built in netflix (LG PZ550). I currently use my ps3 for netflix streaming but only recently learned my ps3 (original) uses 197 watts to stream, versus just using the HDTV (no additional power needed) or apple tv (6 watts) or roku 2 (at 2-4 watts). This would have saved me money over time in energy savings. Something I wish I had considered with this TV.
66 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2011
I am very happy with my new TV. The price is great and so is the picture quality. I use a stereo sound system for the sound so cannot rate the sound. There is a little glare, but no more than I had with my old rear projection HD tv. In fact, there is less glare. I was very pleased that my Harmony remote was very easy to set up with this tv. I have programmed 4 tvs now with the Harmony and this was by far the easiest. I did not need the internet apps because I have a PS3. The movies on the PS3 are great. Also, I had not interest in 3D. So if you do not need those extras, I highly recommend this TV. By the way, the Tv has 3 HDMI's. One is on the side and 2 in the rear. If you look at the manual on line, it shows an "S" video outlet. It does not have the "S" video outlet.
on June 6, 2011
I want to tell all people who gave this tv very negative reviews:
Remember to turn off the "Energy Saving"!!! By default, it's on, after turning it off, for sure you will get another "brand new" HDTV completely different immediately, which looks vivid, gorgeous and crystal clear!

Pros:
It has 3 hdmi ports which is enough to me, 1 for the set-top-box, 1 for the media player like apple tv or BD player and 1 for the video game console.
Because my laptop doesn't have hdmi output, I use VGA cable to connect them, under the nature resolution of 1920*1080, the "giant monitor" looks very sharp and clear.
For the TV part, it's great as well, my tv service provider is Verizon FIOS, all HD channel are presented with crystal clear and vivid video quality, after setting the video output format in STB from 720P to 1080i, it looks even better! I'm a big sports fan, European Champion Leagues final, French Open and NBA all are fantastic, literally without any motion-blur.
The sound quality of this TV is above average, it's loud and clear without any noise. For normal user, it's good enough.
The appearance of this TV is beautiful, it's very slim and thin, more like a LCD TV than plasma.

Cons:
The screen is reflective, must turn off the lights behind you otherwise you get them in your TV :(
Plasma burn-in exists, after seconds still screen, it's easy to find the "ghost shadow" when the screen turns to black, but it's not a big problem, the shadow is not permanent, it's gone fast.
The PC audio volume is lower than hdmi audio volume, I need to adjust it when I switch audio input between PC and hdmi, it's really annoying.

I got this TV from Fry's for only 599 plus 120 shipping, comparing with other brand and model, it's absolutely worth every dollar you spent,it's very hard to find any other TV with similar size, specification and quality for less than 600 bucks. I strongly recommend 50PV450 to all users who are trying to find a good HDTV without any fancy functions like 3D enable, wifi and app build-in. Again! Remember to turn off the "Energy Saving" before watching it!!!
on April 16, 2011
exceptional tv at its price point. considered samsung 51d550 and panasonic 50st30. this tv is not as bright as the other two and has considerably more screen glare. its strength lies in the realism. the colors are not phony looking like they are on most hdtv's i have demoed. very impressed with the video processing and the sound is decent. this tv has no weaknesses unless you need a lot of bells and whistles like internet connectivity, or are putting it in a room with lights that reflect against the screen. from what i have seen, you will have to pay double or more to get a tv that looks appreciably better. would definitely buy again and recommend to others.
on August 24, 2011
I had $1300.00 and wanted the biggest and best flat screen TV I could afford. I had no preference as to brand or type. I searched the internet for about 2 weeks till I found this Amazing LG TV at Amazon. Wow a 60" Plasma for $1190.00, free freight.The TV was shipped and I received it in about a week. The freight man brought it into my home and opened it up to make sure nothing was damaged.I bought a glass TV table for $100.00. we set it up, plugged it in and WOW!!! Absolutely the best picture I have ever seen.The sound was good for such a thin TV. I have never had a Plasma before but I am so proud I bought this on. By the way after purchase of TV and Table, I had $10.00 left over and treated myself to a nice Pizza!!
on May 8, 2011
This TV is not perfect. It's not TERRIBLE either, as another reviewer might have you believe. In fact I am very happy with it. I am not a professional calibrator or anything like that. I am however, a very critical person. The picture of this TV is rather nice. There is no doubt that image retention occurs, and fairly quickly. However it fades just as fast. Really a non issue in my opinion. Would it be better if it did not occur at all? Of course. But, like I said, it's minor and fades quickly. As far as the colors and overall picture, I think they look quite good. I have my TV and Blu-Ray inputs set to Cinema with Contrast 57, Brightness 50, Sharpness 50, Color 64, Dynamic Color and Contrast set to OFF, Color Gamut set to STANDARD. It's a little dim, but I like it that way. Your eyes will adjust after watching it for a minute, and this should extend the life of the TV. My HDMI input for my Xbox 360 is set to Game, and slightly different but similar settings. A touch brighter and more colorful. I think it looks great all around. Could it be better? Sure, but most people will be very pleased with this set at this price range. One note of importance, the glare is pretty serious. If you don't have good light control in the room, you may want to look at LCD, but most of them are going to a glossy finish on the screen now anyway.
on October 11, 2011
I was looking for the best price and quality on a large HDTV that did not include 3D (I haven't bought into the hype just yet), and I found the perfect set. I bought the TV for $1140.21 from Amazon, and then got a refund for $55.22 when I applied for the Amazon price match on TVs (read their policy for details).

A bit about my buying process: I knew that I wanted to go with plasma over LCD because plasma provides a better picture in terms of both image reproduction and fast-moving objects. I also did not need any app capabilities, because I have a PS3 that is connected to the TV and I can get any apps I might need on there. This brought me to look at the LG 60PV450 and the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60S30 as my top two candidates. After reading reviews on both models here on Amazon (there were only a few on the LG at the time) and in Consumer Reports (last years models of the same TVs), I eventually chose the LG because it was rated higher in almost every category and it was less expensive (about $350 less when I bought in mid-August 2011).

Let me say that I am extremely happy with this purchase and my choice of this LG over the Panasonic. The picture quality is superb, especially when viewing Blu-rays on my PS3. I also like that LG gives you very thorough controls for adjusting the picture to the optimal settings. I have not used all of them yet because I do not have a video tuning Blu-ray disc at the moment, but I did run the built in Picture Wizard, and I've seen a noticeable positive difference in the picture since I did. I know that plasma TVs can change a bit during the first 100 hours of use, so I waited until about 150 hours before running it, but even until then I had a good picture. I cannot wait until I buy a tuning disc in the next few weeks or so, and really get into the nitty gritty (though not the service menus) of the picture settings to milk the best possible picture out of the TV.

Another concern I had was using the TV for gaming, but I have had no issues. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do play a variety of games on my PS3 (e.g., NCAA Football 10, NHL 11, Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4) and Wii (e.g., Goldeneye, NBA Jam, New Super Marios Bros Wii, Mario Kart Wii) and I have not had any problems. I do not notice any lag, and I have no issues with image burn in. There is some very minor image retention after I play NCAA Football 10 because EA chose to make their logo completely stagnant in the lower lefthand corner whenever you are actually playing a game, but that disappears after about 10 minutes of changing back to cable or a Blu-ray and really isn't noticeable unless you are looking for it. For example, I know that it is there for a few minutes after playing a game, but my wife cannot see it at all. This is not permanent damage to the TV, just a (very) briefly lingering artifact that is a fact of life with plasmas. My only word of warning would be to avoid playing many games during the first 100-200 hours of use if you are really worried about burn in (that is true of any plasma, not just this one). There are plenty of suggestions out there on the web on how to move through this "break in" period as quick as possible so you do not miss out on much gaming.

At the moment I do not have the TV connected to a surround system or even a sound bar (my Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver ($400) should be arriving from Amazon today, and I'm going to connect it to an Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System ($400) when I buy them next month), but the internal speakers will suffice in the meantime. They are by no means great speakers, but they work in a pinch. I've watched several Blu-rays with "big" audio effects since purchasing the TV, and the speakers have done an OK job with the material in my small living room. As several other reviewers have mentioned already, if you are worried about the quality of the speakers built into a big screen HDTV, you really should think about it again. These kinds of TVs are designed to produce a stellar picture and leave the audio processing and playback to a receiver and home theater system. And really, what good is a big TV if the audio quality is bad. I bought this TV to immerse myself in the content, and that cannot be done with the internal speakers. Use the money you save buying this TV over more expensive (an not necessarily better) models to buy a good home theater (like the one I mentioned earlier).

The last comment I will make is on the remote that comes with the TV. It is a well designed remote that is easy to use by feel and has a backlight for dark environments. I do not have a lot of experience using the remote, because I currently use my cable box/DVR remote from my cable company, but I have been happy with it when I need to use it. I am going to replace all of my remotes in a month or so with a Logitech Harmony of some flavor anyway. If you plan to use the stock remote, you will not be disappointed.

In summary, the picture is superb; you can fine tune virtually any picture setting to your liking; the speakers are not great, but will do in a pinch or until you buy a receiver and home theater (which is true for any large HDTV); the stock remote is more than adequate for controlling the TV; and gaming performance is excellent, just be careful during the first 100-200 hours of use (as you should be with any plasma). I would recommend this TV to anyone looking for a large screen at an unbeatable price who does not need (or want) 3D capabilities or apps built into the TV. I am extremely happy with my purchase, and I will definitely consider LG again in the future.