on November 2, 2011
I bought these bad boys about 4 months ago and lemme tell ya THEY ROCK!!!!!!! The sound is clear and pristine with a balanced mid and highs to go with it. The bass is very good, but you might need subs to loosen peoples fillings for bigger rooms or huge shows. Everytime i had a gig people complimented me on how clean they sounded. That never happened with my mackies Lol.... Jbl really outdid themselves on this box this time around. I guess they had fix the old 515 problems. I highly suggest you music aficionados or musicians to check these babys out. There loud as hell..... without sacrificing sound quality in played music or vocals. Till later i hope my review helped you doubters on these new speakers from jbl.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2012
My band bought two of these along with stands because we got tired of relying on sound equipment from others when we played gigs. We're incredibly pleased with the purchase.

First of all, these things are built like a tank. The construction is solid and quality shows in every aspect of these speakers. The handles are rubberized so that you can use them as monitors without worrying about them sliding around on the stage. However, we use them on stands with the integrated pole mount. It's a great setup, and these speakers are lightweight enough that we don't worry about them tipping over.

We really liked these speakers until we plugged into them and turned them on. At that point, we fell in love. The clarity of these speakers is superb, and that clarity persists even at very high volumes. They'll get plenty loud, too. We recently played a gig at a pretty loud (and big) restaurant/bar. The JBLs filled the whole place with sound without any problem at all, and that was with the output level set to 4 and with a medium level input from a mixer.

Many recommend getting the sub along with these speakers. So far, we've found the bass on these to be more than efficient, but if you're wanting to really thump with a bass or with drums, you might find the subwoofer to be necessary.
on January 7, 2014
As a live audio visual professional I use lots of different products some good some bad. The Eons by JBL are definitely on the good list.

What I like about these:

Sound Quality. I have used all the big brands of speakers an I think JBL sounds the best generally but specifically these speakers sound great. They have crisp highs and a surprising amount of lows. They also have true to life mids where most vocals sit giving a very "real" sound.

Portability. These are SO much lighter than the old version of the EONs I owned. I don't know how they were able to take away so much of the weight. I have to be honest I was a little skeptical about how these would perform in a "gigging" environment where they get set up and torn down a few times a week, but these have held up great. The few times these have been accidentally dropped they actually have some bounce to them believe it or not which I assume helps absorb impact. (Instead of the drivers and amp)

Built in power. Self powered speakers are the way to go these days. Gone are the times of running hundreds of pounds of Speakon cable around a room. Now you just drop a few surge strips and you can even daisy chain your XLR to them with the line level output they provide.

Small mixing board built in. How many times am I setting up a gig where I need one mic or one guitar in a small venue. These are perfect for that because you don't need to lug a soundboard and extra cables just to mix an input. It's a great idea and highly useful.

They are loud (but accurate.) Let's face it, sometimes you want power and even the sweetest sounding speakers needs to have some backbone. These have a surprising amount of volume for their size and weight.

Overall these are great speakers. JBL is a trusted and reliable brand that I have owned for years. If you are looking for a great portable speaker that does it all this is for you. Plus they look hot! Great job on design JBL.
on February 26, 2014
Verified Purchase
WOW! That's all I can say about these speakers... WOW!... Ok, I'll say a bit more. First, a little background. I'm a mobile dj and I do parties, weddings, and other events. I've been in the business for a while, as have some dj friends of mine. We ALL use these speakers. Trust me, we've had our experiences with QSC, EV, Yamaha, etc.. You name it. For what they are, and for what they cost, the Yamahas and QSC's are excellent speakers and can trump the output and quality of these JBL's, but not at this price range. The only Yamaha you'll get for $500 is a 200-watt spud that can't even fill my small office. And don't bother asking anyone where to get a $500 QSC, good luck with that. Again, not saying these are THE BEST speakers ever made, but FOR THE MONEY, these are the best powered speakers money can buy. I've used them in so many different types of gigs, with so many different levels of acoustic chaos thrown at me by poorly designed venues (high ceilings, oddly placed pillars, funky room shapes, etc...) and these speakers filled every inch of those rooms with gloriously crisp sound. I do also enjoy the built-in EQ, VERY handy for fine-tuning the output for specific situations(i.e.-poorly designed venues, outdoors, etc..). Not only is the sound crisp, clear, full, but it just SCREAMS. These speakers are rated at 132db, which may not sound excessive, but I've never needed more than a pair(two) to fill any size venue, and I still haven't clipped them at a gig, not even close. Once in a while with bigger rooms I'll use a sub to fill in the low-end and it's just pure sonic bliss. On that note, it's very easy to loop the speakers together with a sub. The only cords I need are 2 XLR-to-1/4" for the speakers, and 2 XLR male-to-XLR female for the sub. Plug the JBL's into the board, loop in the sub, and WHAMMY! Bass is pumpin' and the rest of the range is screamin'. Even without the subwoofer to fill in the lows, these speakers alone put out an impressive amount of bottom-end on their own. Build quality is also very good on these speakers. I opted to buy the fitted carry-bags for the speakers to keep them safe from every-day stuff like scratches and dents, but I honestly feel like I could throw them down a flight of stairs, plug them back in and keep right on rockin'. VERY solid construction. Despite being made from plastic(it's a very high-density, high-quality plastic, mind you) they suffer no ill effects sonically from the plastic body. Also, the 33lb/each weight(yes, only 33 pounds each) can be attributed mostly to the clever use of build materials. Hell, I have amps that weigh more than these speakers. This extremely light weight means I can carry one of these speakers in each hand pretty easily, and they take very little effort to hoist up onto the stands.

In my honest, professional opinion, I don't think you will find a better speaker for under $500. It's just not possible. BUY THESE SPEAKERS! See and hear for yourself why when you Google, "JBL EON 515XT", you find nothing but 5-Star reviews. Believe the hype.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
I owned a pair of the original JBL EON series and was a great fan. They were built like a tank, and while under-powered, the abuse they took physically and sound wise was a God send for a working DJ. After getting back into the DJ game I decided it was time to update my gear and get a new PA. Being a JBL loyalist it didn't take me long to settle on the EON 515XT.

Unfortunately, quality has really taken a dive since the early days of the EON series. Both of my EON 515XTs have gone into warranty repair with only moderate use. One speaker blew a pre-amp during a gig, and the other had something break off in the cabinet that started rolling around and vibrating during playback. I always put power conditioning and surge protection between my source and equipment, and take great care during transportation, so the culprit must be JBL. The gentlemen who provides warranty repair for JBL confirmed my suspicions; the EON series is no longer built like a tank and they break with enough frequency that they can no longer be considered reliable for anybody other than the hobby DJ, unless you want to keep multiple units for rotation in case of a failure.

I have since acquired a different brand of speakers since I can no longer trust the EON series to not fail at an inopportune time. If you are going to set these up and leave them be, they very well might be enough for you (and the sound is pretty good though a bit noisy on the high end), but if you are getting paid to play these just don't do the trick anymore.
on August 26, 2014
I'm part of the auxiliary for a ladies' dance troupe in New Orleans, the Muff-A-Lottas.
Our playlists are exclusively 60's NOLA R&B/Soul/Pop Dance stuff with lots of mid but noticeable bass, and on parade routes we are frequently competing with other groups that bring dually pickups with rackety generators, old-school amp racks, trapezoidal cabinets from 1998 and obnoxious modern dance mixes with excessive levels and pitiful quality.
When we first started, borrowing/renting powered mixers and tired cabinets, I KNEW there was a better option. After a consult from a full-time touring sound engineer, we bought four of these. With the addition of a pocket-sized, battery-powered mixer, I am proud that we are louder and clearer sounding than anything else on the route. The girls never strain to hear our mix, even at the back of the line. And for many parades, the EONs are strapped to a wagon, running off an inverter and batteries.
These have been dropped, bounced, rained on, jammed up, and never flinch. I don't know if 'idiot proof' is possible, but the 515XT comes really close.
Two more are planned for our setup this next season, and I am really excited.
When other groups ask me, I'm very specific about this cabinet. JBL will probably discontinue them at some point, and then I might just buy up what I can find and rent to the poor sods who can't fit them in their budget. For those who can, you will not regret it.
on August 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've bought two of these. One works absolutely fine. The second shorted out as soon as I plugged it in and powered it up. This sucks because I do not live in the US and the cost to ship back is absolutely out of my budget. Be cautious before purchasing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
So, these are my favorite pieces of equipment that I own.

A bit about who I am as a user: I have been a DJ for over 15 years, on radio, at bars, clubs, raves, and more recently weddings. I currently own 3 pairs of these (actually, two pairs of the 515XTs and one pair of the powered 510's).

Before owning the 515XT's I used two EON G2s which are still operational to this day (12 years and still going).

For the price, these are the best speakers around. The Mackie Thumps are just fine too (from what I can tell), but I have had such a great experience with these that I will probably never change. They are super lightweight, compact, and LOUD.

For larger rooms you'll still need a sub (or two), but for average rooms these are more than enough.

The mixer controls on the back are great. My favorite thing about the XTs are how light they are! I can carry one of them with two fingers.

The service from JBL is great. I had one of these blow the second time I used it. As you can imagine I was pretty upset. After calming down I visited the JBLPRO.com website, confirmed my warranty coverage (3 years for amps), and sent the item back. They fixed it pretty quickly and sent it back at no charge. It's never had a problem since.
on July 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
I received the JBL EON 515XT today, and right away tested it with a microphone, electric jazz guitar, and nylon classical/electric guitar. All along I kept saying, "Wow!" The vocals are clean and yet authoritative. Electric jazz guitar is full and present, although some bass roll-off is needed for it because this speaker has a deep and solid, if not also formidable low end. Nylon classical comes through crisp and punchy, but some compression is advisable, because this speaker does not skimp when it comes to awsome dynamics. To sum up, this powered speaker meets all my expectations, and then some again. They came packed in a box, within a box, within another box! Amazon and JBL, a WOW combination! EdG
on September 19, 2014
Verified Purchase
Great speaker... WHEN I IT WORKS!?
Bought 3 from Amazon, (left right and monitor/ back up), out of the box, one was noticeably quieter than the others, and one simply cut out repeatedly during the 1st gig for no reason..
Amazon was great, sent me two more to replace the bad ones. (had to deal with shipping back the bad ones.. but Amazon paid shipping... hats off to them!) BUT now one week later, another one is cutting out during a show.. UGH?!?!?
(all settings at unity gain, peak/limiter light coming on occasionally.. nothing unusual.. had 3 jbl eon 515s before these (not xts') and they worked almost flawlessly for 5 years, so i assume that the xt's would deliver something at least close to this ... sound GREAT, weight GREAT, price: GREAT, reliability.. FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations