Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Flavor: Unsweetened Dark Chocolate (99% Cacao)|Size: 5-Pound Package|Change
Price:$14.96 - $62.04

on April 1, 2014
I like this chocolate for so many reasons. First of all, Scharffen Berger chocolate is the best chocolate you can buy! The flavor is amazing! That, of course can be a matter of personal taste, but I have not found a chocolate that I like better. Secondly, I have been using Scharffen Berger chocolate for many years and believe me it is a lot easier to use these chocolate baking squares than chopping up those big bars that I used to get. This is a large quantity but I bake a lot of chocolate desserts so I go through a bag like this in about 6 months. Now, if I am going to go to a pot luck where no one is going to pay any attention to the flavor of the chocolate in my dessert I definitely use a less expensive brand of chocolate. But if I am baking for my family or close friends and we can savor and appreciate the wonderful, intense flavor then I will always use Scharffen Berger. It's the best in my opinion!
on October 10, 2013
Two ingredients. Cacao beans and vanilla pods. That's about as chocolatey is you're going to get. I melt it down with some coconut oil and add some stevia to make chocolate sauces. Yum.
on March 17, 2013
This chocolate is nice and smooth; it has a lovely mouth feel and tastes delicious. It comes in small squares which are a good size for melting. The price was good and I would buy this chocolate again.
on September 7, 2012
So much easier to use these chunks than purchasing a block of chocolate and chopping it yourself. The 6-oz package is the right size - a lot of recipes call for this amount directly, but it's also easy to weigh out different amounts if you have a kitchen scale. The chunks melt very smoothly whether you are using a microwave or a double-boiler on the stove.
on December 13, 2012
These are excellent quality. I worry when things are labeled as a 'baking' product, as I am looking for just excellent eating chocolate for my use in desserts, etc. I had not tried this brand before, usually opting for Callebaut. The price was right, and I like the small size squares, requiring less chipping and chopping than the large blocks of couverture I usually use for truffles and the like. I like that it is an American owned company with a competitive product and will use their chocolate again.
on April 13, 2013
I took a chance in buying Scharffen Berger milk and dark chocolate. I've used both before, when our grocery store carried them. It has been a few years, and subsequently, I have come to find out that I have a soy allergy. These chips and bars, both milk and dark variety contain soy lecithin. For all those non-allergic, I recommend. But, cannot give Scharffen Berger 5 stars because there was no warning about the chips or bars containing soy lecithin on the Scharffen Berger website! Definitely not Amazon or any other merchant's problem. And, I suppose I could have taken the time to contact Scharffen Berger, but wouldn't it be nice for them not to leave this to each individual?

So, this time, my nieces and nephews luck out and will get to enjoy the chocolate in their baked goods.
Hope this is helpful to others trying to avoid soy and/or lecithin.
on April 11, 2014
Despite being labeled "Baking Squares", these chocolates are indeed sweetened and delicious. We go through one of these 5lb bags every two months. There's just no other way of getting Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate for less than $10 per pound. We chop and melt 7 squares in 1 cup milk to make a fantastic mocha latte. Skip the coffee and you have a wonderful hot chocolate drink. Of course, we also just eat them plain for quick and easy treats.
on January 5, 2013
I purchased these to create recipes for the annual contest run by Scharffen Berger. I like them and eat them as a snack and also put them in cookies. They may replace my usual G........ brand snacking chips as they seem a bit less sweet and there is more cacao in them. Hard for me to find local so I bought them online here.
I have a favorite, tweaked chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have been using for years. I like them chewy in the centers, but still a little crisp on the edges. Not cakey, not flat. I have been using Nestle semi-sweet chips for years and they are adequate. I really like the flavor of Scharffen Berger bars, so I knew these would be good. Actually, I like the "rich milk" type the best...and I am a dark-chocolate lover! I didn't want to use that though in cookies because I feared the 41% cacao might melt too much; these chunks are 62%.

Regular baking chips have less cocoa butter in them to withstand oven heat and still retain their shape. They aren't good for melting though for other uses. These do melt, so I wasn't sure how my cookies would fare. I ended up deciding to use half of these and half nestle (one for melty flavor and one for shape.) My cookies did taste AMAZING, however, they spread too much.The cookies had a nice smear of chocolate from these, and still some visible chips from the Nestles. They didn't spread so much that they were one giant cookie, but enough that they were quite fragile removing from the pan and kind of thin to hold. I imagine it was from the additional cocoa butter melting and thinning out the dough slightly (I am no chemist, just a guess.) I don't know if I would have used ALL this type (instead of half and half) what would have happened. I will have to re-experiment to maybe lessen the amount of fat (butter/shortening/egg) in my recipe or raise the amount of dry ingredients (or even a long chill in the fridge first) to regain my desired texture.

I haven't done so yet, but I imagine these would be great for recipes using melted chocolate (like cake or brownies) rather than that weird "baking chocolate" stuff. I just wanted to post that if you are using these for chocolate chip cookies you have made with other chips, be prepared for possible changes in your finished product. I will update my review after I figure out what percentage of "typical" recipes need to change (if I DO figure it out that is!)
on February 8, 2014
Used this chocolate in a flourless torte for my fathers b'day, it was awesome! Would highly recommend it!Very satisfied, and it's alot of chocolate, I will use to make several more tortes. U can store in refrigerator an it keeps for a long time!