Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Honeywell HS-1655 QuietSet 16" Stand Fan - Black
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Black|Change

on July 20, 2012
For what it's worth, I loved this fan when we first got it. It has variable speeds (including whisper quiet mode), it oscillates, it has a remote control, and a sleep timer. Flat out, it was awesome and we were thrilled with it... right up until it quit working.

Less than a year old, we went to turn on the fan one day and all it did was light up and hum. The blades would not turn. I stuck a pencil through the screen and spun the blades and then it worked again... for one day. If I pull the cover off and "hand start" the fan, it will go, but no longer on its own.

After a brief internet search, I found this is a COMMON PROBLEM with this model of fan. Strangely enough, it seems to happen to a lot of people just out of warranty.

It is a shame because when it worked, it was great. However I, and many others, have found that one day the fan just stops working. I fear it may be a bad motor design or just a really cheap product (more likely). At over $50 this fan should last a lot longer.

So to all of you considering buying this fan, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! If you do purchase it, I hope you have better luck than me and many others.
3434 comments|272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2012
If you need a wonderful bedroom fan, this is the one. Very Very quiet. It is very easy to assemble and maintains Honeywell quality. This fan has a very nice design for in home use, and is not bulky looking. I have read reviews that comment on the stability of the base and pole assy. saying it is not well made. I would say to them that this is not meant to be a industrial fan. It will do fine in all households. I would recommend this fan to anyone.
on June 20, 2013
I would of given this fan 5 juicy-fat stars if it weren't for 1 irritating design flaw which I'll get to last...

I've gone through quite a few home fans and this 5-speed remote QuietSet is as good as they get: Delightfully quiet while moving a whole lot of air; decent construction; easy to assemble; easy to operate; easy to look at. I have yet to see how long it all lasts.

Those other reports of hard-to-assemble, flimsy construction, not tall enough, easy-tipping, etc. are either exaggerations, personal quirks, unit flaws or factory lemons. It happens.

HOWEVER, the reports of the irritating brightness of the blue panel light while trying to sleep are sadly true. I will never comprehend why on earth the Honeywell designers decided to ruin this fan's beautiful, sleep-inducing quietness with a night-piercing, in-your-face blue beam of stupidity. The fools should have at least included a roll of black-out tape as part of the package.

UPDATE: I liked my QuietSet fan so much I bought 2 more. This was over two years ago and have been using 2 of the 3 since and they're still running strong and quiet with pretty constant use. The 3rd still in the box as eventual backup.

And as far as my prob with the overly-bright blue light is concerned, a 2" piece of black electrical tape solved that problem perfectly.
33 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2014
***23 AUG 2015 Update***

The fan started having the exact same problem from one year ago. The fan is clean. I repeated the below steps which resolved the issue once again.
---Note: The below was left AUG 2014----
We'd bought the fan less than six months ago. The normal operation would be to pick a speed. Then, the fan runs at the desired speed instantly. Recently, the problem was that the fan blades would start off spinning slow. Then they would slowly get to proper speed. While I repaired it using the below steps, I would not recommend the fan.

I hope amazon leaves this review up as a service to their customers. In return, the customers can spend their money on other amazon items. Please understand this review is provided "as is" and for informational purposes only.

First, I'd suggest the book: Reader's Digest New Fix-it-Yourself Manual, pp. 172-173. It covers how to disassemble an oscillating fan. This with diagrams and logical troubleshooting steps. For example, it would cover troubleshooting the capacitor and the motor.

What follows are modified steps from that book to disassemble this fan. This to lubricate the motor bearings. After doing so, the fan was back to normal. If you aren't comfortable with repairing items, please stop reading. If letting an inanimate object get the best of you constitutes an insult that will not stand, then read on friend.

Materials and Tools needed:
Liquid wrench lubricating oil (blue label)
screwdriver demagnetizer/magnetizer box (Optional; highly recommended due to the clutch knob screw)
small (3/16") flat blade screwdriver. Again for the clutch knob screw.
#2 Phillips screwdriver

Steps
Unplug fan from wall outlet
-Dis-assembly steps-
Unlock clips to remove front blade guard
Unscrew spinner nut clockwise (or reverse of "left-loosey, right-tighty")
Pull fan hub from motor shaft
Unscrew plastic grille nut to free rear blade guard
Remove the four screws holding motor grille in place
Remove grille to expose motor shaft
Unscrew clutch knob screw with small screwdriver
Remove screw from rear motor housing
Remove motor housing
Unscrew three screws holding pivot mechanism
Pull pivot mechanism to expose the rear of the motor shaft
-End of dis-assembly steps-
Outside, use liquid wrench lubricating oil to spray front and rear of drive shaft. I'll try and upload a picture of this step.
Fan assembly is reverse of dis-assembly
Once assembled, plug fan back into wall outlet

If oiling the drive-shaft did not resolve it, then consult the book for capacitor and motor troubleshooting. Hopefully this will help someone else out there.
review image
55 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
Extremely happy with this fan; I can't praise it enough. Beautifully designed and solidly constructed. Convenient remote with 5 speeds and 4 timer settings for 1- to 8-hour auto shutoff. The front panel on the fan features soft LED lights and the fan gently beeps each time you select an option, very sophisticated for a fan with this price.

Best of all, this fan is EXTREMELY QUIET yet powerful, so that watching TV or listening to music is a pleasure. Highly recommended. This product is a gem!
on April 1, 2013
This fan was perfect for the 1st two months. It was quiet, with multi-speed settings for everything from a gentle breeze to drowning out noise. The problem is the motor is defective. Most of the time, to get it to work, I have to either 1) crank it by hand until it catches (2-5 minutes), or 2) let it spin in ultra-slow motion for 15 minutes or so until it finally works. Honeywell used to be a quality brand, but no more.

Unless you need it for only a month, buy something else. A pity, because this one was the quietest I've found.
on July 5, 2015
The fan was delivered yesterday on the 4th of July. I was so disappointed, I would have returned it yesterday. I had really high hopes for this fan but I should have paid closer attention to the negative reviews.
The assembly was fairly easy but there were issues. The top stationary tab on the blade grill was too tight to assemble the two grill sides together (picture). I had to use a screwdriver to pry the gap open on the tab to get the other half of the fan grill to fit. Also, the battery contacts for the remote are very tight, which may be an issue for some people.
I got the fan assembled and plugged in and was pretty happy for the first 30 minutes. The fan was quiet, I really liked the speed settings, and the remote worked great but after about 30 minutes it started making a really bad straining noise while it oscillates(video). I also noticed that the plastic motor housing was warm when the fan oscillates.
I could have Amazon exchange the fan but I just read another recent review saying that they had an issue with the oscillation as well. With the other bad reviews, I know there will probably be more issues down the road. The fan has a one year warranty but they want $10 for shipping.
There are some scuff marks on the side of the housing, which made me wonder if the fan was refurbished (picture).
review image review image
on July 14, 2012
I spent an insane amount of time researching fans on the internet. (A recent klunker experience motivated me to find something quiet that would last a while.)
It was very frustrating because it seemed like most fans were either of cheap construction, or else had a lot of complaints about noise. The Lasko brand looked the best, particularly for value, but a bit noisy.

The Honeywell was consistently reviewed as a quiet fan on many sites. A few people expressed concerns that the stand is not as stable as they would like.

I was strongly inclined to go with an all-metal, "industrial grade" model Optimus F-4184 18-Inch Industrial Grade High Velocity Stand Fan, Black with Chrome Grill I'll bet that baby will last a lifetime and really push some air.

In the end, I could not resist the sounds of silence, so I took a chance on the less-than-herculean Honeywell.

Concerns about stability are overblown, it's pretty solid. I recomend not extending it to its full height if possible, why tempt the fates, but the base is heavy and well constructed. Assembly is very easy.

The operation is so quiet and smooth. The remote control has a simple, easy design. I just get the feel of an excellently engineered product. Well worth the extra bucks to have a quiet fan. I've never been so pleased with a contraption.

Not sure why the black model is more expensive at Amazon HW QuietSet 16"""" Stand Fan Blk Guess there's one born every minute.
on August 22, 2014
I was looking for a fan for my bedroom after getting sick of the noise my old box fan was kicking out. I did a lot of looking around and it was between this fan and a Lasko model with similar specs. Oddly enough the one thing that swayed my decision was the remote control. I figured it'd be a nice little addition if it worked as expected.

First things first. Assembly was really easy, Simple easy to follow instructions and no problems at all.

I know the description says silent, but after having a box fan in my room, I was expecting some level of noise and on the lowest setting... there isn't any at all. Even on the highest setting, which subsequently kicks out a ton of air, there's not much noise at all. There are five settings for speed of the fan giving a nice variation, however even at it's lowest settings it still sends out an impressive amount.

I love the remote on this fan. Turn on-off, change the speed, and even set it to sleep mode for automatic turn-off which makes it perfect for a bedroom.

Two things I'd like to changed in a future update model of this fan.

1 - The LED lights on the front are bright, I mean super bright. I had to wrap some cloth around where the lights are so that I didn't get sunburn while sleeping. Ok a little dramatic, but I did wrap some cloth around it to filter the light out. Thankfully, the remote goes through the cloth, so it's no issue what so ever.

2 - there's no option to change the oscillation of the fan. It's either a complete on and full oscillation or it's in a fixed position. I wish there was an option to dial in the degree of back and forth. Having this one feature would have made this a 5 star fan in my opinion.

Overall, I really like it. It's perfect size, and super quiet. Aside from the rotating and bright lights I don't have any bad things to say about it at all. I'd get another one of these if I needed it in a heart beat.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 29, 2015
We live in a house with no air conditioning. On warm days, by evening - even if we've had doors and windows open - the heat has built up in the house enough that it can get uncomfortably warm, and even more so upstairs. We had an 18" table fan, but it didn't oscillate any longer, and only one speed still works. It was noisy, too!

So, it was time to look for a new fan. We wanted a pedestal fan, so we could be more flexible with where we placed it - it doesn't have to be on a table. Oscillation is nice, and so were adjustable speeds. We also wished for a remote so we didn't have to walk across the room or get out of bed to adjust the speed or to turn it off.

So, we took a chance on this one. We bought black, deciding to use it primarily in the bedroom. We thought the black would be less noticeable at night.

It is working just great. We have it at full height at the foot of the bed. The lowest setting is usually what we want in there, and it is very, very quiet. (The faster settings are actually all pretty quiet, too.) It is great to be able to use the remote to control it from bed. There is even a timer, so you can set it to turn off automatically in 1, 2, 4, or 8 hours.

The only thing I don't like about it is the blue LED lights that indicate the timer and the speed. They tend to create huge shadows on the ceiling in a dark room. (Due to the shape of the fan, it kind of looks like a huge moving eye on the ceiling!)

Though you could potentially kind of zone out / fall asleep watching the movement of the shadow, we usually like to sleep in a very dark room. So, we stuck a piece of black electrical tape over it, and all is well now though.

Our previous fan was 18" and at 16" this was slightly smaller. But I took a chance. Turns out, it doesn't matter. This fan is doing a way better job than our old 18" did.

Now I would like one more of these, in white (to blend in with our white walls) for our living room. And, we can finally put that old, 1-speed, non-oscillating table fan out in the garage. I am really glad to have found this.