Most helpful critical review
9 of 9 people found the following review helpful
WARNING Do not feed this food to your pets.
on March 8, 2013
I switched from "garbage" cat food to Merric BC salmon canned food. My cats loved it, their coats got shinier and I was convinced I was feeding them the right healthy food. A few months later I'm in the vets office with my cat who has always been healthy on his yearly check ups. He's been lethargic, vomiting and losing weight. He had a battery of tests done, all came back negative for any illnesses. His Xrays did show a swollen, food emptied belly.
Upon coming back from the vet I opened a can of BC salmon and dished it out. I noticed my spoon hit a hard chunk. I looked closer. It was a bone. I dug around in the food with my spoon some more. In less than 1/4 of a can of BC salmon food I found about 20 shards of bone. Not soft bone, hard bone. They ranged in size from 1/4 of an inch to 1 inch. Some were even about 1/4 inch thick. All were very sharp. I know a lot of foods use bone Powder for calcium but, these are huge shards. Imagine you're the size of a house cat swallowing a one inch long shard of bone. Ya... I instantly called my vet. She told me to stop feeding them that food. The bones can get lodged in their throats and even puncture their intestines and stomach. We're now both very sure as to what has caused my cats illness. I have kept the bone shards and have taken photos to send to Merrick. I have e-mailed Merrick but, I'm fairly sure I will never hear from them. I will also be e-mailing the FDA so no one elses cat ends up the same way mine did or worse. Also, I've tried to upload one of the photos here, who knows if it will be allowed.
So please, be very careful with this food. You think you're feeding them healthy food and doing what's best for your pets when companies that don't care end up sending them to the vets.