Loved my MFC-7820N. This is even better.

PROs:

* Cost per page is very low (see Note 1)
* Printer cost is very low at times (see Pricing below)
* Duplex and Booklet functions save paper
* Browser interface - tons of settings, options, & reports
* Reliability is good
* Energy efficient when not in use (see Note 2)

OKs:

- Ease of use is pretty good. Print, Copy, Scan, Fax functions all work well.
- Toner-low shut-down hassle of previous models is now solved with a menu setting
- Warranty: 1 year

CONs:

- Noise: Fan noise for several minutes; chunk-a-clunk noise while printing. I've learned to ignore it.
- Does not support AirPrint (Apple's protocol for printing from iPhone, iPad)

- - - Alternatives - - -

- Wireless networking version (MFC-7860DW) if you're not hard wired. (average $20 more)

- Non-duplex version (MFC-7360N) (low tide around $100)

- - - Pricing - - -

Price is very bouncy. Low tide is around $138. Amazing deal. There's an "Online Price Alert" that will email you whenever this or any amazon product dips below your target price. Google it. It's nicely done. Or try camelcamelcamel.

- - - Tips - - -

- Toner refill powder such as TN-450 Toner Refill with Reset Flag Gear & Lever by AAAtoner or Laser Tek Toner Refill Kit 4 Pack for Brother TN-450 reduces cost even further.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Cost per page (Toner + Drum) can be...

- 2.3 cents -- Brother toner and drum replacements at average amazon price
- 1.9 cents -- Brother toner and drum replacements at lowest price and extended usage; (3,000 copies per cartridge, 15,000 per drum -- reduced quality at tail end)
- 0.8 cents -- Use toner refill powder at lowest price and extended usage.

Brother Toner TN-450 is $42.50-47.00, 2600 pages. Brother DR-420 drum is $ 69-74, 12,000 pages. When replacing the gougy-priced drum, it's sometimes cheaper to buy an entire HL-2230 or HL-2240 printer on sale for $70 or less (includes DR-420 drum and a 700 page starter cartridge).

Toner refill powder: $8-12 (assume 3000 copies -- average 0.30 cents per copy). Starter cartridge requires Flag Gear Kit, about $3-6 (one time).

Printer comes with drum and 700 page starter toner. Subtracting the value of these, the hardware itself costs about $57 ($138-69-12)

Save more ink (and paper) by shrink-printing (2 to1) when appropriate.

Note 2: Standby energy: My old Brother MFC-7820N pulled 7.3 watts on standby. That's $35 to $105 over 5-years (24x365x5 @ 11 to 33 cents per kilowatt hour). This MFC-7460DN draws 1.2 watts on standby ($6 to $18 over 5 years). This printer also has a hard-off switch, which some other printers don't have.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2011
The printer is excellent, no doubts. Cost of drum and toner are much cheaper than other brand printers, my main reason for buying it. Also I had on older brother MFC before and always liked it. The only problem is, the brother scanner software is poor compared to my 5 year old Canon scanner software, i'm a little surprised about it. For example, when you do a scan preview, it automatically selects the scan area in the Canon, not here though, thats quite basic and a pain not having that feature. Also, there are much much fewer scan image adjustment options that Canon had.

Other than the scanner software pains, I like the printer however, scan quality is good, print quality is good. I have it hooked up to my network via an ethernet cable which has a wireless gateway. So this printer is available on the network wirelessly also. I don't know what the big deal is about a 'wireless ready' printer, all a printer needs to be is (ethernet) network capable, most of us have a wireless router and it will automatically become available to all PCs on the same network - wired or wireless.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2011
I use all functions, and they are more than I expected for the price. The functions on this machine are comparable to the much more expensive HP 3390 All-in that it replaced because the HP fax and scan drivers worked poorly or not all when I upgraded to Windows 7 (I loved that all in one with my XP). I have not tried to use the Brother as a wireless through my network router, but based on other functions I suspect it will work well once I get through the instructions.

BEST/WORST FEATURE: So far this machine has the best multipage document feeder I have used. I copy multiple invoices that are crumpled and variable paper types at one time and this feeder seems able to adjust! However, the small space for copy/print output - After about 5 pages, there is no room and the output starts to fall to the floor, sort of diminishes my ranking of the overall copy function.

Pros: Price.
The Brother MFC7460DN works well with windows 7.
Scanner is clear, scans great color to PC (print is laser monochrome), uses that awesome doc feeder as well as the flatbed and has lots of options. Scanned PDF files seem to have large file size, so you might see if the machine has an option for resolution before you buy,(I have not had time to figure that out, but I think it might). It scans to PC as image, file (tif, jpg, & pdf), e-mail, or OCR, from machine menu or PC menu.

The FAX works with my single phone line that is shared with voice and answering machine, as well as PC and it was easy to set up and use. The PC fax function is efficient, and can be used for basics with ease. I am having a little trouble setting up my phone book and I will need to read instructions to find out how.

Copier is good quality and feeder is the best I have used. The flat bed and ability to use legal size paper is a feature that many machines no longer provide.

Cons: Cumbersome and unintuitive menus. Took me a while to figure out how to scan to a file instead of an image. The machine is surprisingly loud when running, but silent when in sleep mode. I had some early problems with losing power, but I think the power cord just needs to be very securly set in the back of the machine, so far that fixed my power problem. The biggest disappointment is the space available for output copies or printed pages.

If you frequently print or copy more than 20 pages at a time, you might want to look at a less compact machine. So far I am dealing with the issue, because the document feeder has wowed me. Overall, it seems like a great personal multi-function machine and the price (I paid about $200)for the numerous features makes this printer quite a deal.
on March 11, 2012
I own two of these, one in my home office and one at work. They replaced two samsung printers that were awful. The cost of the printer cartridge for the samsung printers was so high and hard to find that I decided to get rid of both of them and I found the Brothers on sale and I got each one for less than the price of the samsung printer cartridges. Brother makes the best MFC's around and I've always had good luck with them. This one is no exception, it scans great, prints great and is a good copier. The one thing that I have an issue with is envelopes, it is the worst printer I've ever had when it comes to printing envelopes. Both units have the same issue, most of the time when you place an envelope in the slot, you get an error message saying that there is a jam inside and you have to remove the envelope and open the front cover. So you open the cover and close it and the jam is cleared, nothing is jammed inside, put the envelope in and try again and the same thing happens and this only happens with envelopes. The cartridges are very reasonable when you have to replace them and seem to last a long time. If you don't need to print envelopes, and for the price this is a great machine. I also have a Brother 6490cw that is a great unit and prints envelops with no issues.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2011
I have used a Brother laser printer for the past several years in my home office with very good results. It has been very realiable and trouble-free; consequenlty, when I needed to replace the printer, I naturally choose the Brother brand again. The MFC 7460DN provided two new features that I find most useful: network connectivity and duplex printing. In addition, it was considerably less expensive than my original Brother printer which was purchased more than five years ago. To date, I have found only one relatively minor inconvenience: the status LCD on the panel is not back-lit, and in low light it is difficult to read. Overall, I hightly recommend this printer, and you should be able to purchase it for less than $250.
on April 21, 2011
I've only had the printer about a week now. I have it configured to work with Ubuntu Linux 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 32bit and is connected over Ethernet (I haven't tried the USB connection). I haven't done much scanning yet so I can't speak about the scan quality other than basic copying works well. I will update my review when I have more to say.

Pros:
* It is pretty quick. I haven't timed it but unlike the inkjet printers I've used in the past this one is at least close to the advertised 27ppm.
* Auto document feeder works well.
* Print and copy quality are good.

Cons:
Basically no issues yet other than taking maybe an hour to get scan to FTP server working which I didn't even know it had in the first place so can't complain and most of that was getting the ftp server configured correctly on my computer. Like any laser printer I've ever used it doesn't print all the way to the edge of the page so if you try to copy something which has little or no border then it will get cropped if you push it to the edge of the scanner bed. There might be a setting to auto scale or shift in this case, but I haven't looked yet.
on June 18, 2011
This unit clearly functioned to specs and is a great buy. I have purchased many Brother products because of their reliability and great free technical support over the phone - even after warranty period.

Could not understand how to make several features work after studying printed instructions - even in the manual provided on the enclosed disk.

Had to call Customer (Technical) Support. These folks were a great help. They didn't charge me. They even e-mailed me technical material to show me how to solve many of my problems.

Had Brother better made their furnished instructions, they could save many customer support hours.

EdGeb
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2011
I did a bit of research and decided upon this Brother. It was on sale at OfficeMax and I wanted it pronto. My Canon MX860 died. I liked that printer/aio but it was slow and ran through ink. died after 2.5 years. I was a little worried about Mac compatability especially with Lion.

This Brother set up to print in 10 minutes using Bonjour and my Time Capsule. 10 more minutes to set up fax completely with phone numbers installed, etc. I haven't tried scanning. Runs perfect wirelessly through TC with a 10.7 MBP, and a 10.6 MB, and with USB to a 10.4 G3 ibook (no AP card) !

very very fast. holds a ream of paper. great print quality. don't know why I wasted my time with ink jets all those years.

p.s. I did not go through the set-up in the "quick set-up" guide for a network. Just "add a printer" on your Mac. It will recognize the printer and ask you if you want the driver installed. It will do all that set-up for you. Only for the G3 laptop did I have to search google for the driver and download.

so it may be too early to tell, but I will report back after I set up scanning and see how it performs.

and the fan is a bit loud, but not a deal breaker.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
First things first, it took me a minute to figure this out: USE THE ETHERNET CABLE to hook it up to your wireless router. If you use the usb, it thinks the router is a PC and you won't be able to scan. Maybe that's obvious to some people, but it took me about 15 minutes of troubleshooting to just try switching to the cat5 instead of the usb and reinstall the software. Worked great.

Bought this to fit into a small space: an office credenza that's only 16 inches deep in our tiny upstart office (500sf.. the 3 of us are cramped!). We don't do volume printing, but we scan and email every day and print around 20 pages of random B&W documents per day (color jobs are outsourced to the pros). Unlike other printers, this one doesn't require an additional several inches of space for a document "shelf" for the paper to enter or exit the unit. It just comes out and fits regular paper in that little gap above the grey part (which is flush with the front... you can't tell that from the pics) The feeder at the top works great, and the print quality is excellent.

Unlike other reviewers, I don't have any problems with the quality of the scanner software. It's not completely customizable, but it allows a really high dpi scan that anybody can crop or dither down in photoshop or whatever image software they like. I want my scanner to scan different things at different settings and have custom settings for the things I use most. DONE. This software has custom settings for up to 4 types of "usual" jobs on top of being able to adjust for each scan. It's NOT in-depth image processing software, but that's what we use CS5 for anyways.

For the price, I'm happy that it does everything we want it to do without hassle. And that's pretty cool since our last multifunction machine cost twice as much and wasn't network ready (ain't technology grand?).
on October 19, 2011
I have it for about 2-3 months and I like it a lot. It basically has everything I need from All-in-One.
1. Printer is great and fast, I am still on my original cartridge even so I have a new one already.
2. Scanning is great especially scanning of multiple pages in a single document. Works great over Ethernet. Some people have complained about it but I did not have any problems setting it up.
3. Loud fan does not bother me, it is actually not that loud. Also I believe I have changed setting when it goes in sleep, thus it does not stay awake for more than 1-2 minutes.
4. Duplex printing is very useful when you want to save some paper.
5. Saving in different formats is very helpful, it is great that it has own PDF print server.

I have no complains about this product so far.

Update as of 9/13/2012.

I have printed 626 pages on original toner and still rolling (no intensive graphics - google maps sometimes and documents). Toner safe is off. Of course, printer software really wants a new toner but who cares.
I run it on Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate never had problems with neither drivers nor software.

You do need to update firmware though.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...