on September 12, 2011
When I had to purchase a new vacuum cleaner I spent hours researching online in addition to a couple of hours using demonstration models at local stores.

The LG was by far the best vacuum I have ever used. I tried out vacuums from Dyson, Hoover, Eureka, Bissel, and Electrolux. The Dyson was the only one that came close in comparison. The LG has as much suction as the Dyson, but is better designed and much quiter. The Kompressor technology really works (can vacuum the whole house without having to stop to empty the dust bin). We have two dogs, three kids in a 2000 square foot home with three levels (two carpeted, one with hardwood and tile). This vacuum excels in picking up dog hair off carpet, and the hard floor attachment works perfectly. The controls on the handle are brilliant. Unlike the Dyson canister the brush roll is motorized and can be turned off with the handle controls, as can Max and Min suction (Min is used for dusting curtains and drapes). The build quality is wonderful, and the filters are water washable.

I am extremely happy with this purchase.

11/30/13 UPDATE

After over two years use I feel the need to give an update to my review of the LG Kompressor vacuum.

To say it most simply I LOVE THIS VACUUM!! I really cannot believe I have owned this over two years now. It is working like brand new (I wash the filter and the components every four or five months) and have not had any problems. The only other maintenance I perform is to apply some lubrication to the hose where it rotates at the body of the canister (I use White Lightining Easy Lube, a self cleaning wax lubricant used for bikes that repels dust and dirt). Other than issues with the hose not always easily rotating (hence the need for lube) I have not had any issues. It is wonderfully built and a joy to use every week.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2011
Review after using it for two weeks every other day: ***** (5 stars)
The vacuum is easy to handle, makes very little noise, the kids can sleep, watch TV, or play while we are vacuuming.
The compressing part of the dust bin works great. It compresses all the dust together in little patties, so you do not have particles of dirt flying around in the dust bin and makes it very easy to clean. The vacuum has great suction, both on tile and rugs in our 3300 sq feet house. Very happy with the product!!!!

Review update after using it for 14 months: *** (three stars)
Features are excellent, still very quiet, dust bin very easy to clean, the fine filter still looks brand new due to the good design of the dust compressing in the big dust bin.
However, after using the vacuum for three months, the controls in the handle stopped working and there was no way to start the vacuum as there was no other switch. We had to ship it out of state (we live in Florida), it took three weeks to have it back, and then it worked for another 11 months.
Now, after using the vacuum for 14 months, the vacuum intermittently can only be stopped by unplugging it from the wall (again problem with the controls in the handle), and we need to have it shipped again... I hope that this time it will take less then three weeks to receive it back.
After spending about $350 for this vacuum, we expected it to be a lot more reliable, and the only reason we did not give one or two stars is because the repair and shipping were fully covered by the warranty.

Dec 2012 update - Decided not to return it yet as the problem turning it on/off is sporadic and did not want to wait three weeks for the repair. Nice vacuum except for the problem turning on/off...

Feb 2014 update - moved from 3 stars to 4 stars due to excellent warranty (5 years) and customer support (we shipped it back free of charge and had it back in less than 2 weeks). The problem with starting and stopping was getting worse, but the vacuum was running just like new/great otherwise. When running, it was never stopping by itself like somebody else posted - however the stop button was not working and we had to unplug it from the wall. When starting up, the start button was also not working and we had to try starting it several times. This was happening even when the air filters were clean and the dust cleaning arm inside the filter was able to move freely. Most likely, there was a problem with the electrical connections.

Although I am an engineer and could have taken it apart to see what the problem was, I decided not to mess up with it just so that the warranty is not voided. In addition, I assumed that if there was a design problem with the connections in the handle or somewhere else, the company will replace the part with a better designed part so it will not happen again. In my opinion, this was better than me opening it and trying to fix it or glue parts together.

As a result, we called the customer support, received a prepaid label and box, shipped the vacuum, and had it back in about two weeks. After getting it back, I could not see what or if anything was replaced, but it is working fine for two weeks now.

Considering that the vacuum has all the features I wanted, and after years of using it has excellent suction and is very quiet, plus the "bumper to bumper" warranty for 5 years, I think that this is a great product.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2011
Being speechless is definitely not one of my traits, and anyone who knows me can certainly attest to that. I just (10 minutes ago) opened the package that arrived last night and couldn't resist to test this product since all the reviews were stellar. About 7 minutes of vacuuming (my already freshly vacuumed - with Dyson Animal - carpets) and I was astounded by the amount of dirt (the cansiter was practically full) that gathered in the canister. After being thoroughly disgusted by the fact that my pride and joy home which is always spotless (I vacuum and dust everyday) was infact NOT THAT spotless, I sat down to write this review which is the first review I have ever written in my life. This product absolutely warrants a glowing 5 star review, as it is 100% what it is advertised to be. It is easy to put together, is easy to navigate, goes under my very low furniture and is endowed with an impressive suction power, so much so that it almost propells itself on the carpet. It even picked up the particles that tend to fall between the deep grout lines of my ceramic tiles effortlessly with just going over it once! It has a lot of options in terms of adjusting the height (not just high, medium & low), and it is very easy to do so with the touch of your feet. The suction can be adjusted as minimum and maximum as well as floor/carpet all of which should work greatly if you have a combination of new and antique/delicate rugs and hard surfaces, which I do. Because the dirt which gatheres in the canister is compressed, there's no dust cloud while emptying. Well done LG!

Note to the gentleman who wrote that after purchasing this vacuum his wife couldn't stop vacuuming: when I read that I did not believe it. But guess what? That'll be me as well. After I hit the send button, I am going back to vacuuming!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2011
Let me start off by saying that I clean houses for a living, I have used every kind of vacuum you can imagine... and I was so sick and tired of them all I thought I was going to have to design my own. I swear to you, whoever designs those million dollar Dyson/Electrolux/Miele vacuums does not actually ever vacuum a real home.

This little LG wonder has worked very well so far! Yay! For the first time, a vacuum that did not make me want to rip my hair out. It's pricy, but not nearly as pricy as the $800 Miele that won't even reach underneath baseboard heaters or kitchen counters. I do worry that it won't last, because it is ALL made of plastic...but I am crossing my fingers for at least a few years worth of heavy duty vacuuming. The beater bar head, for carpet, is so powerful that it drives itself around the floor! I also own an older Electrolux, and ew, let me tell you something- when I vacuumed my apartment with the LG I was floored by the gunk it picked up. Like I said, I clean for a living so my house is generally pretty spotless. I was embarrassed at the dust the LG sucked up! Yuck! Oh and the way it moves around the room with you, so nice, it just trails right along without getting turned over or twisted up. It's also not super heavy, and the handle on top makes it easy to carry around and vacuum.

I gave it 4 stars because I despise bag-less, and emptying this canister is no different than any other bag-less, with the dust flying everywhere. And because it's made out of what appears to be a pretty chintzy plastic. The cord is short, as is every other vacuum these days. BUUUUT the negatives far outweigh the positives, so far. (edited to add: This sentence should read, "the positives outweigh the negatives." Thank you to the amazon customer who pointed that mistake out to me! I love this vacuum!) You better believe I'll be back to update this review if I see it go downhill.

After weeks of painstaking research I bought this vacuum, and at this time I would highly recommend it.

***update***
In January the vacuum lost all suction. I thought perhaps I had clogged it with Xmas tree needles, and LG was gracious enough to provide me with a box/shipping label to have it serviced.... Turnaround time was acceptable, but the vacuum came back with the exact problem it left with. The invoice says the unit was "cleaned," but as far as I can tell it wasn't touched. Contacted LG again, they refused to replace it or refund my money, said they'd service it again. This time no box/shipping label was sent. After a week of waiting around for a box that never came, I called LG again. They say a box is on its way...but we'll see. At this point, I'm upset and I would not recommend the vacuum to anyone. It is a phenomenal little machine, when it's working properly- but after less than 3 months of use and needing to be serviced twice, it doesn't look good for LG.

***update 2***
Box came, vac sent in. Vac sent back within a few days, suction worked beautifully. They gave me a new bare floor head, but forgot to add in the adaptor to hook it to the teloscopic wand. So it was useless. I called them and they had no idea what part I was talking about. Took me a half hour and a supervisor to get them to realize the mistake. Said they'd send a new one and it would take 7-10 days, no way they could expedite it. New nozzle received, no adaptor. Again. So now I have two bare floor heads, but cannot use them. Also, the on and off button has become temperamental and rarely works the first time you push it. The cord doesn't retract correctly. I called, they said they'd send me a box to send it back- then call to coordinate a replacement. I expressed how infuriating this is and asked that they send it to me immediately. They said they'd call within 24-48 hours to see if they could expedite a new one, plus a box to send back the old one. 50hrs later- no phone call. Will have to call tomorrow.

I want my money back. Do not buy this vacuum. I will NEVER purchase from LG again. NEVER.

***update 3***
After being "repaired" twice, the unit was still unusable. LG rep said that, since it had already been serviced twice I could either receive a refund or a replacement unit...but that I had to send it in first, then some one would contact me. No one contacted me until AFTER they sent out a replacement (which is not what I wanted). That was in May, and here we are in July and the brand new one is broken- exact same problem as the first unit, there is no suction. LG is refusing to give me my money back and claiming they never said I was eligible for a refund. They want me to send it back to have it repaired AGAIN. Two repairs and a replacement later, I am going to contact Amazon and my credit card company to file claims. I STILL want my $300+ back.

DO NOT PURCHASE!!! If I could give this vacuum zero stars, I would.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2012
Since I used Amazon reviews heavily when searching for a Pet hair Vacuum, I would like to add in hopes of helping someone going through the same dilemma.

After a week of reviewing Canister vacuums (house is mostly wood floor) specifically for pet hair, I came down to 3 choices Dyson DC39 Animal, LG Kompressor Pet Care, and a Miele. I am not afraid to pay for quality as long as it is there and researched for hours. My thought process - I tried out the Dyson at a local store who had it on display. My friend has a Miele. I relied on reviews about the LG Kompressor.

Dyson DC39 Animal Canister
Pros: Biggest pro is the mini turbine tool for upholstery. It had great suction and worked really well in the store. Vacuum moves around with you fluently. Not very loud. Many, expensive, accessories available. 5 yr warranty.
Cons: Main motorized tool was not impressive. Seemed to lack high end power and did not clean the store carpet very well. Off switch is inconvenient on unit and not on the wand handle. Tab for canister lid at bottom seemed very fragile.

Miele S2121 Capri Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Pros: Construction and quality are very noticeably high end. Suction power is very strong, and with the right tools, it picks up most of the pet hair. Light and quiet. Universal tools are easy to find online. Swivel hose is nice. Bags are very hygienic. 7 yr warranty
Cons: Doesn't roll with you as well as I would like. Uses bags and several filters that would have to be replaced; this worries me if they become hard to find or annoying to have on hand and replace. Most expensive in the end if I added the tools I wanted. Controls are on the unit and not the wand.

LG Kompressor - I ended up getting this on a refurbished special.
Pros: Best hard wood floor Vacuum I have used. The main tool is astounding on carpet, rugs, floors. The amount of pet hair it picked off my rugs was an eye opener. Controls are conveniently on the handle with several settings. The Kompressor function actually works. Long extension cord. Quality is closer to the Miele than the Dyson, which felt cheap. Quiet yet powerful with main motorized tool.
Cons: No agitating upholstery tool, very hard to get as an accessory for that function as well. In fact, most of the universal tools do not fit this vacuum well, and LG lacks in the accessory department. The pet tool found on the LCV800r would have been nice. This makes it very difficult to get pet hair off my couches, pillows, and other furniture. This vacuum does not maneuver well at all; I feel like I am dragging two bricks behind me. A bit heavier compared to the other vacuums.

All in all, I wish I went with a different Vacuum even with the substantial discount I got when purchasing refurbished (arrived like new). I would have been very upset to spend + $300 and receive the performance of this vacuum. It is fine for the price I paid, but it doesn't do what I purchased it to do, take the pet hair off my couches/rugs/furniture. I will be going with the Miele in the future and shell out for the bags/filters because the quality and performance are at the top.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2013
I have owned this vacuum for about a year. I still love it. This is by far the best vac I ever owned in 40 plus years of vacuuming! I was re-reading some of the reviews because we also had the handle switch problem. The vac would work going forward (on rug setting, brushes turning- not suction loss) but not when pulling back. This just started recently. The solution is simple! There are three little screws on the handle (underside, gray, NOT the blue side with button) simply unscrew these and replug in the connection. It seems the plug disconnects if you carry the vac by the control handle - not while using the handle. Now that I am aware of this I carry the vac by the canister handle and the further down the length of the tube of the extension. Pretty easy fix for a great vacuum cleaner! I also LOVE the compressor! If you know how to use a Phillips screwdriver you can do this quick fix and it does last. I have only had to take it apart twice in 4 months to reconnect plug and the last time was because my grandson carried it up from downstairs - by the control handle! This vacuum is very well worth the price! We have 2 dogs and 1 cat. Have large area rugs that look brand new after using this vacuum! Love It! Forgot to mention that I clean the vacuum regularly as instructed in the manual. I am sure this will prolong the life of the best vac I ever owned!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2011
Purchased this vacuum to replace two aging Hoover Wind Tunnel uprights. This is my first LG purchase of any kind, so I'm cautiously optimistic regarding dependability with the LG brand. However, this vacuum is an excellent little cleaner on carpet, wood and tile floors, truly superb suction power. A little hard to push on the Berber carpet with the vacuum set on medium high setting, but did an initial cleaning on that level and will do future cleanings on the high level setting which is not hard to push on Berber. The LG literally pulled up stuff from our carpet that our Hoover Wind Tunnels have missed for years. Our house just feels noticeably cleaner after one go over with the LG. Note; there is no pet turbine tool included as described in the product's description, the tools you see in the picture are the tools you receive....hardwood floor tool is included which to me was better than a pet turbine tool, and it works quite well on hardwood and tile. All of my Hoover Wind Tunnel attachments work with this vacuum to include my Hoover pet turbine tool, so that's a big plus. The wheels of the vacuum do not mark up my high gloss wood floors, and the controls on the handle are great...power-head roller brush on/off, min/max suction, and a light telling you when the dust bin is full. The handle does stand up on it's own as shown in the picture with the carpet power-head accessory attached (the power-head also has a light), and the handle does have a little storage clip attached that you slide into a slot on the canister base to stand up during storage. I told my wife I bought us a little present and she immediately said "it better not be a vacuum cleaner", because we have two Hoover Wind Tunnel uprights. I told her it was a vacuum and we could send it back if she didn't like it. There's no way she'll let me send the LG back, she loves it. The 21 foot cord is adequate for our needs, yes a longer cord would have been better. The LG is very quite when compared to the noise of our 5 year old Hoover Wind Tunnel uprights which you can literally hear running 3 houses away. Besides floors, the LG vacuums rugs and dusts furniture, speakers, TV, electronics and artificial plants quite well on the minimum setting, but we do prefer to use the round dust brush that came with our Hoover Wind Tunnels, as opposed to the included LG rectangular dust brush. The Kompressor function is pretty cool, and the two filters are both washable with water. Far easier to empty than our Hoover Wind Tunnels. Bottom line, we're both "very" happy with our purchase of the LG Kompressor Petcare Plus Vacuum.
on September 13, 2011
I spent hours researching online for the best canister vacuum. I struggled for a long time reading mixed reviews and looking at many different price points. My main focus was finding a vacuum for my hardwood floors and carpet was secondary. When I found the LG Kompressor on Amazon and read the reviews and specifications, I knew I found exactly what I wanted. My vacuum arrived today and I rushed to try it out. I opened the box and put it together with all the parts within 5 minutes. I loved the dirt compression feature which allows you to vacuum your entire house without emptying the dirt bin, which can be easily removed and replaced. I used both the beater bar head and the hardwood attachment, both worked extremely well and were easy to interchange. I first vacuumed my carpet with my upright Hoover Windtunnel, which is about 4 years old, then I immediately vacuumed with my new LG Kompressor. The amount of dirt and dog hair the Kompressor picked up was amazing and the suction was unbelievable. I highly recommend this vacuum cleaner, I think it will meet everyones needs whether you plan to use it on carpet or hardwood/tile. It is worth every penny!
on September 25, 2011
A cat lives in my house, along with several active adults, and this was just too much for our old vacuum. A few days ago we got this one, and the amount of cat hair that it picked up could block out the sun. The suction is almost unbelievable! I've used some big industrial shop vacs, and this vacuum actually approaches their suction power. I was astounded the first time we turned it on and filled up the dust bin in about 10 minutes. The house has never looked cleaner!

This vacuum not only has exceptional suction power, but an excellent overall design. It's lightweight, the auto-retracting cord actually auto-retracts instead of tangling itself, the various brush head attachments are amazingly powerful and can draw out forgotten dust from even the deepest carpet, the motor controls are optimally placed on the wand handle, the vacuum is balanced when you're moving it around, and the entire appliance has a robust, strong quality about it. I don't feel like I'm going to break it or damage it when cleaning up and down the stairs. The internal filters are easy to clean and the exit filter is thick and catches any remnants of dust that the previous array of filters missed. I actually feel like (and can confirm with the huge amount of dirt in the dust bin) I'm cleaning dirt out of my house, and not just blowing it around.

Overall I'm tremendously satisfied with this vacuum. You will be too! It really sucks! In a good way!
Update to my LG LcV900B vacuum unboxing thread: [...]

After using it for a bit, I have to mark this one down as a superb purchase success.

The damn thing picks up stuff, even big bits of dried food without problems. Its ability to clean the edges of a room is excellent. It also scraped off a sizeable splotch of dried cat puke without issue.

Oh, and my complaint about the head not standing up? They have a little notch on the side of the canister that you can use to hold the head so it stays standing.

All in all, LG did a great job of designing this vacuum. And at $320, the value to performance ratio is quite high as well.

Update: I've had this vacuum for about 2 years now and it's still going strong. LG definitely built a winner with this vacuum.