on October 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
I had 3 options to play my Xbox at work...

Option 1: Capture Device/Laptop Screen-
This was desirable to me because it removed the need to buy an additional screen and haul around extra gear. So I looked to things like Easy Cap, Dazzle, and Hauppauge capture devices to play Xbox on my laptop screen. Unfortunately, using a capture card and viewing the game on a laptop screen experiences lag, and in the case of the Easy Cap and Dazzle, a 480p resolution. The clincher for me was the lag.

Option 2: Small 15 Inch HDTV-
This option seemed like the next best choice. I would need to buy a larger bag to take both the laptop, the Xbox, the HDTV and whatnot's to work. This option is definitely viable, but after the price of the bag and television I would end up paying close to what the G155 already costs, albeit less. Additionally, the Xbox wouldn't have felt as safe and setup and takedown of everything would have been more cumbersome.

Option 3: The Gaems G155 Mobile System-
This appeared like the best of the three options for me. In essence it was an HDTV within a container that seemed both organized and sturdy, so I ended up buying the G155.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

After purchasing and using the G155 here are a few areas of improvement for the device...

Dead Pixels-
As with many new screens there are a few dead pixels, but generally I don't notice them, although it's not ideal.

Loose Seam-
Sometimes the case comes loose at the middle, near the handle while I carry it. I feel that this would be solved if there was a latch mechanism installed there, like in a briefcase.

Carry Strap-
I wish I had a backpack or messenger bag that was large enough for the G155 unit to fit into. I'd like the actual case to be hidden from view and be more protected from scratches and scuffs. Also, a backpack's or messenger bag's carrying straps would be very nice as opposed to carrying a heavy load with just the current handle. I'm aware that Gaems has stated that you can attach your own strap to it and they might be making one of their own for the unit, however carrying the unit completely immersed in a bag would be ideal for me, although I haven't found a bag large enough for the unit to fit into.

Price-
I bought the G155 off Amazon at $270. If this unit sold for $200 or even $250 it would have been an easier purchase. I understand that they have to consider the bottom line and profits but a $200-250 unit would be more convincing for me as a consumer.

[Those are my only beefs with the G155 as of this writing. Unlike some owners, mine will be used extensively in the future, so we'll see how well it holds up for me over time. Hopefully it won't break down easily with a lot of use.]

Now on to the things I love about the G155...

Xbox Stays Cool-
After hours of continuous gameplay my Xbox does not overheat at all within the G155.

Protective-
My Xbox feels much safer in the hard plastic case compared to carrying it around in a normal bag.

Compact/Organized-
All of my cords, controllers, and pretty much everything I need easily packs into one gaming environment. [Note: I bought a small CD sleeve to carry my game discs within the G155.]

Mobility-
I can leave my Xbox in the case and hook it up to my large TV at home without removing it, then just close it and take it to work when needed.

Screen-
The HD 720p screen is clear and gorgeous to look at and there is no lag whatsoever.

In summary of my 3 mobile console gaming options...

Option 1: Capture Device/Laptop Screen-
I do not recommend this as a sole way to play consoles on the go. The lower resolution and lag times are not cool.

Option 2: Small 15 Inch HDTV-
Having done something similar to this in the past, it is definitely a viable option, based on if you're looking for something less expensive and your personal tastes.

Option 3: The Gaems G155 Mobile System-
This, I believe, is the best all-around option for mobile console gaming, or if you want an extra small television in your home where you can play Xbox or PlayStation. I'm very glad I purchased it and would recommend the Gaems G155.

Hope this helps perspective buyers.

[Update: I've now used the Gaems G155 for six months, and on a regular basis. It's held up great, and I've had no additional problems with it.]
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
Pros
Console area has good (not great) secure protection.
Comes with all the cables needed for newer consoles
The screen is bright.
Two headphone outputs
Loud Speakers
locking latches
brightness control
PS3 controllers fit in the case.
thick nonslip rubber on bottom surfaces

Cons
plastic shell isn't tough enough for shipping/cargo holds
plastic bends and warps while holding it by the handle exposing interior.
not waterproof.
plastic shell needs a luggage strap for a more secure hold.
lock latches are plastic
LCD has very poor viewing angles
LCD is too sharp, this cannot be adjusted in the menu
xbox 360 controllers will not fit in the case.
Glossy screen finish

Notes
Never make the mistake of placing this unit upside with a console in it.
The screen will be fine but you could damage your consoles disc drive. =(
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2011
Verified Purchase
Our production company often travels for business and PSP, 3DS etc. is fine since hotel TVs tend to be older SD sets so I just got use to having to leave my favorite games like COD and Street fighter IV behind till I got home. We saw this screen running at E3 2011 and it was fantastic! I had mine on pre-order ever since we got back into the office and it just showed up today. Well built, holds my Xbox 360 pefectly, no overheating, it's great! I WAS looking at other HORI screens for around $250 but they just click on top of the system, they don't close up with into a case with a handle. This product is also great for those in the MLG and NEED to make sure they have an HD screen everywhere they go. I'll definately be keeping mine and using it for a long LONG time.... the only draw back is that the LED screen is a bit on the sharp side (hey GAEMS, please add sharpness control!) but it's still the best thing on the market.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2011
Earlier this year I joined the Navy, I ship for boot camp in January. Being an avid gamer I will of course be bringing my playstation along whenever and wherever I get the chance after I graduate boot camp. But even a 22" PC monitor is a pain to travel with, let alone a full size TV, not to mention getting either of those onto a ship. When I came across the G155 I knew that I had found the solution. And while I'm not sure if it will be able to accompany me shipboard at the very least it will make life a little easier the rest of the time.

The first thing I did after taking the unit out of the box was load my playstation 3, two controllers, and all of the necessary cords into the G155. After closing the unit everything feels secure and well protected, I feel confident that the G155 will safely transport my playstation and accessories. The weight is reasonable and the carry handle makes it a simple matter to transport. I also discovered that it is possible to carry two games in the G155 by placing them under the straps holding the playstation. The only items I won't be able to carry in the unit itself are my headset, which is expected since it is huge, and any additional games. For travel I give the G155 a 5/5, it does everything I could reasonably hope for in this category.

Unfortunately not everything was well with my unit. After opening it back up and connecting all of the necessary power and video cords I turned it on only to discover that my screen was badly damaged. A phone call to GAEMS and a few emails later and I had a new, fully functional unit on my doorstep the next day! A big thank you to Travis, John and everyone else at GAEMS for the excellent and lighting fast support. GAEMS as a company gets a 5/5 in my book, they stand by their products 100%.

After receiving the replacement unit I finally got a chance to do some gaming on the G155. And while the viewing angles aren't exceptional nor the colors highly accurate, overall it is a pleasure to game on the G155's screen. The 15" size is perfect as long as you aren't expecting to sit more than a couple of feet away from it and despite being advertised as 720p my unit accepts 1080p input just fine. Sound is surprisingly good, no one is going to mistake it for home theater surround sound, but it is definitely a step up from the laptop quality speakers you might expect in a unit this size. They are about equal to what you might find built into your flatscreen TV. I give the screen and speakers a 4/5, not perfect, but nothing to complain about unless you are really picky.

Overall I give the G155 a 4/5 and look forward to gaming wherever the Navy takes me, be it on land or sea.

---

PS: You may have to reset the video output on the playstation 3 the first time you connect it to the G155. To do this, instead of simply pressing the power button to turn the playstation on, hold the button down until the playstation beeps and video is displayed.
on July 14, 2011
I just received my unit yesterday, and I have been playing on it non-stop since it arrived (with a few hours of sleep). The detail/resolution of the screen is great, and there is no lag from the screen when I play online. Even my blue-ray movies on my PS3 look great! Also I have ever so thankful for the Hard plastic case. When I closed it up for the night, my dog knocked it off the small table I had it set on(I was soo mad!). When I opened it up I expected the worst, but absolutely nothing inside was damaged! My PS3 started right back up, and the screen was not cracked, not even a scratch, crack, or dent on the case.
I will definitely be more careful in the future (Bad Dog). Thank you GAEMS for making sure a great product!
on January 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
I am just going to make this review a simple Pro and Con list, hopefully this will help anyone considering a purchase of the G155 system make a informed decision. I have been using it since December 28th.

Pro's

-It is as described, mostly. What you see in the pictures is what you are going to get. Though, they obviously needed to cut some corners to get the price at a reasonable $250.

-The speakers are surprisingly decent. It isn't going to blow away your home theater system, but they work well, even at max.

-The included mini HDMI cord is a big plus, since HDMI cords have had their prices extremely inflated over the years for no reason whatsoever other than to rip off consumers. I used to buy name brand HDMI cords for $10, now that same name brand costs over $50.

-It really is portable, as long as you have a power source. Even with a PS3 or Xbox 360 inside, it is very easy to carry around and the straps inside the case do a great job of holding your system in place.

Con's

-The screen is of low quality. This is a bargain screen. At a distance, it can look decent. However, playing it how it was meant to be played will result in a lot of shadowing, ghosting and jaggies. At first I didn't notice these problems, but the more I used it the more they became apparent. It is quite clear they didn't spend much on the screen. Will it do what it was meant to do? Sure, but it won't look great doing it. It is by no means a disaster, but it's far, far, far from great.

-The plastic used on the case is rather cheap. It is not a sturdy, hard plastic, and you can easily bend the entire thing. It always looks like it is ready to break. They used the cheapest plastic they could get away with and it shows. Do not buy this thinking it will protect your console. It won't. One small drop and this thing will shatter like a piece of glass.

-Although they say it supports the PS3 Slim, you will have to make the PS3 Slim actually fit. When the Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 Slim is in the case, it fits snugly and closes without a problem. However, when the PS3 Slim is in the case, and you properly adjust the included foam mat, the case will not close properly. I have tried this a million different ways, and followed their directions carefully, but the PS3 Slim sticks out a quarter of an inch too far, and you have to physically pull the top of the case forward and slam it shut in order for it to close properly with a PS3 Slim inside.

Overall, I am satisfied with the G155. It might seem like I am complaining about it more than anything, but the fact is I am enjoying it and for $250 it is a great investment. As long as you don't expect a AAA product with a AAA screen you will have fun with it. I plan on using a lot in the coming year, and I am glad I got it. Put your hype in order and turn the dial down to about 7 and you will find it does what it says it will do, for a decent price. It just could have done it all much better.
on December 20, 2014
Verified Purchase
Good item. It even works for my Xbox One.
on November 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
Well after watching almost every video review on youtube and reading articles all day i finally decided to make the jump and purchase this bad boy. i love it! this has been one of the best investments i've made in a while. i'm in the military and this is going to make deployments so much more bearable. i know it's pricey, it only displays 720p but in all honesty it's well worth it. if you have the money to burn and are looking for something convenient and something to keep that gamer in your life busy then buy this. my xbox 360 slim fits perfect and i've been playing skyrim on it for about 2 days and the graphics are amazing, great resolution. speakers aren't that great but i've got me some nice audio technicas that work perfectly. i'm sure the price will go down soon but i had to have this, seeing how deployment is coming soon.
on November 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
Being an avid gamer I've always considered getting a hand held console for road trips (I travel from Boston to NY a lot to visit my family), but nothing has ever come close to the quality of home consoles. Plus you have to buy all new games, the screen is only 4-5" big, and it would just go to waste every other day of the year that I was not traveling (I drive to work). I've always wished that Microsoft would just come out with a portable version of the Xbox 360 so I could play my favorite games on the road, but unfortunately it never came. However, once I discovered the G155, and my fiance informed that newer commercial buses i.e. Greyhound, Peter Pan, Bolt, etc. now have wi-fi and power outlets, I knew I had found my solution to bringing my Xbox on the road!

So my G155 came in the mail yesterday. First of all I have to say that I was able to get an amazing deal on it - $220.95 from Amazon.com warehouse deals, in LIKE NEW condition (and it really does look brand new, with the exception of one or two very small scuffs on the outside of the case). Then because Fedex was late delivering it, Amazon.com (BEST customer service ever) granted me an extra $10 credit. I have to say for $210.95 this is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

The case itself is beautifully constructed and is made of extremely high quality materials! It is rugged and durable, and even has dense rubber feet at the bottom of it so it does not scratch when you place it on the ground. The latch system is very nice and also durable. Upon opening the system I was highly impressed with the look and build of the screen, pouches (made of a really nice material), protective foam tray that the system sits in, and the case's hinge system. I swear the case alone looks like it is worth $75-100. Then I got my XBox360 slim into place (it fit perfectly in the custom made foam tray), plugged in the G155 and console, and turned on Gears of War 3. Man, was I blown away!

The 15.5" LED 720p screen on the G155 (although it does have a slightly limited viewing angle, which isn't a huge deal b/c its only meant for 1-2 people) is AMAZING! It is actually much clearer and sharper than my 52" 1080p Samsung LCD TV. You can even adjust the settings i.e. Contrast, Brightness, and Saturation of the picture. Also, I'm aware that this unit is advertised as a 720p screen, but when I turn on my Xbox it says 1080p @ 60hz in the upper left corner. Maybe it can play 1080p after all, but I plan to look into this further. Most importantly there is no lag at all when playing faced paced games, and even the speakers are louder and sound much better than I anticipated.

Overall, I can't say anything negative about this product and I can't wait until my first bus trip down to NY next week. I highly recommend this product to anyone that has always wished they could mobilize their home console and I would totally make this purchase all over again even at the asking price of 299.00.

Way to go GAEMS!! I can't wait to see what you guys come out with next!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
I recently purchased this product because I am on the go a good amount of the time. This allows me to bring my console along and keep up to date with modern gen games. All in all I find it to be exactly what I needed. As some of the other reviewers I was a bit unsure at first of the 15.5 inch display. It is bigger than I thought and in no time I was easily headshotting my way through Uncharted. I tossed a few fast paced games at it just to see how it handled them and I'm pleased to say it handled them like a champ. Audio can sound a little thin at times, almost tinny I guess you could say. But that is easily fixed using my Astro Mixamp and a quality pair of headphones. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend it without hesitation to anyone in the market for a mobile entertainment system for their console.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations