Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Size: Standard|Change

on January 15, 2012
Initially a little frustrating because what I learned from experimenting, should be in the instruction book to begin with. It took 3 test tries, but it was well worth it because the results are great!

Here are some tips:

- Although instructions say you can stack up to 3 trays at a time, you also have to proportionately increase the cooking time and shuffle the stacking of the trays, so stacking really doesn't save time in the end.

- Chips turn out crispier and cook more evenly if you use one tray at a time. Since stacking doesn't really save time, I cooked one tray at a time, and while the first tray was cooking, I sliced & arranged the slices on the other trays.

- Cooking time is quite a bit longer than the advertised 3 minutes. We have a 850 watt Dacor microwave and it took 6.5 minutes to cook a single tray of thinly sliced chips. Check your microwave power output and adjust accordingly. * * update below.

- A good visual sign that they're ready is when they start to curl up a little around the edges.

- Slice chips as thin as possible for crispy chips. I used a mandoline's thinnest setting. I scrubbed the potatoes, then left the skins on. Thicker slices took over 8 minutes to cook - - they turned out more crunchy than crispy - - still good, but we prefer thinner and crispier.

- Be sure to let chips cool completely. They don't crisp until they are completely cool.

- Sweet potato chips are our favorite, as they require absolutely no seasoning at all. tip: sweet potatoes turn out better than yams, as they are drier and crisp up better.

Definitely something we'll use regularly for guilt free snacking.

* * update: I recently bought a new mandoline and it has made the world of difference! Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White

This mandoline slices soooo very thinly & effortlessly, that the chips do indeed, crisp up in 4 minutes. Definitely worth getting this mandoline to partner with these chip trays.
66 comments|313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2012
I thought these chips would be awful, but it really worked. It does take a little patience since they're limp for quite a while, but then they crisp up quickly. Mine did it at around 8 minutes in a 1250 watt microwave with rotating table. Subsequent batches take slightly less time.

For prep, I just used our mandoline to slice the potato, set them on a paper towel, then put a paper towel down on top and pressed for about 5 seconds. Then you can season them. That's it. I used popcorn season for some (meh) and then some dried Italian herbs for others (yum).

Oh, and the ones in the center will cook faster, so leave the center empty if you can for even cooking.
on November 10, 2011
Gotta try it to believe it! Great chips you can season yourself or enjoy as is. You don't make a lot all at one time but that is not my desire anyway. I use this to make my husband chips that are salt and fat free. Just enough for his lunch once in a while. Each tray holds about 1 medium potato when thinly sliced. Tip: Keep cooking until chips get brown. Microwaves vary in power and mine took longer than recommended. If your potatoes are a bit too thick they will need more time but they WILL crisp! Worth the investment to give my hubby a little guiltless pleasure in his lunch :)
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
I really liked this chip maker and it really does work! I washed the trays and then sliced a russet potato with my mandolin slicer and after filling the tray I blotted the moisture off the tater chips and popped them in the microwave for 3 minutes, they were mostly done at the end of the 3 minutes but some were still in the chewy stage. I just added 30 seconds and they were fine.
A bit different story with both trays going, it took probably 7 minutes all together but that is a whole lot less than 45 minutes in the regular oven!

They don't make enough for a crowd and one potato took 4 trays to cook it all (about 15 minutes from start to total finish!) and I had a nice tasty and healthy treat to watch tv with!

I would definitely recommend this product!
review image review image
on December 10, 2011
I have to say I was skeptical, but it makes very decent chips. They do taste better with a little salt, with this you can pick your own amount, for us it takes very little. Can slice a second batch while the first cooks and they do become crisp in not too terribly long. I think it's fun.
on September 29, 2012
I was very excited when my new kitchen toy showed up today and immediately took it for a test spin. I read the reviews, patted slices dry, experimented with the times, and yes, did end up with chips ranging from slightly underdone to burnt (still working out the kinks.) Its fair to say that this product does work after the learning curve. Where I get stuck is the fact that you are making roughly 12-16 chips at a time, per tray. So, for me that's a dozen chips every 4.5 minutes. I don't know about you, but a dozen chips doesn't take anyone 5 minutes to eat, at least not in our house. And if you are trying to make enough chips to share? Umm, its kind of a losing battle. All you do is stand at the microwave and eat the last batch while the next batch is cooking, because its not enough time to really go much else. The whole time I was making them I just felt ridiculous, cooking 12 chips at a time. So my review will have to be 4 stars for the product, but 3 for the foolishness of the output flow. I guess if you really want to spend 10 minutes every time you wanted a handful of chips, this is a fine product. If you have better things to do with your time, think twice.
88 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
This gadget works really well to make chips that are light and very crisp. The included mandolin slicer makes slices that are about 1/16". If you've never used a mandolin before, cut your potato in half, then place it on the mandolin, and using the safety holder, make your slices. If you don't use the holder, you will very likely cut yourself at some point. How do I know this? Well.... Blot the slices on paper towels and season before microwaving (or the seasoning won't stick). Othere than that, follow the instructions. One medium Russet potato takes three trays (one extra tray set), and we rotate the trays a couple of times during cooking. My wife and I find the chips to be really tasty and as mentioned crisp. I bought several as stocking stuffers (need big stockings).
on December 7, 2011
Very easy to work. Slice up your vege or fruit and place on product and nuke in the microwave. Everyone loved the outcome at the party. No fats or oils needed. Very diet safe. We have done different vegetables and fruits. Th product does a good job and follow the directions each microwave is different. You know someone dieting or going vegan this would be a good gift.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2011
I was pleased to find this product on Amazon. I previously had a plastic microwaveable chip maker but over time it partially melted so a silicone product seemed like a great idea. These chips come out crisp and are very tasty. Season them to your taste and you'll love them. A few qualifiers: it takes longer in my microwave to crisp the potatoes (vs. the manufacturer's claim of 3 minutes) but I'm sure that's due, in large part, to the thickness of my chips. I like them thicker so I slice the potatoes with a knife, not with a mandolin. I'm sure mandolin slices would cook more quickly. Also, I've discovered it takes a bit longer to cook with two stacked trays and I'd recommend swapping the trays mid-way through cooking to get a more even result. But the qualifiers notwithstanding I still love these chips!
on June 23, 2015
Almost burn my kitchen, went on fire in microwave after 3 minutes . Not safe .
review image