Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Verbatim 2 TB Store 'n' Save Desktop Hard Drive, USB 3.0, Black 97580
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 30, 2011
So this is Verbatim's new hard drive design. I believe that it's a step BACK from previous models. Previous models were aluminum frame and this new design is plastic. Previous models had rubber feet on the bottom and the new design has no feet at all. Still has the very short USB cable and the AC adapter cable length has gotten shorter as well. Good thing it still uses the same 12V 1.5A adapter as previous models so I can use them instead.

Fortunately it still has a Samsung hard drive internally. It's the Samsung HD204UI model, known for running cool and very quiet, as well as being the most reliable drive on the market.

The front LED is beaming blue compared to yellow on previous models. It also has a switch for powering on and off as opposed to a button. The vents are on the sides now. Previous model had vents on the bottom. So it should always run fairly cool even after hours of use.

Overall, I'm happy with this drive but not sure why Verbatim took a step back with the quality of the enclosure. They still back their product with a 7 year warranty and no other manufacturer can top that. This is my 7th Verbatim drive purchase and I will continue to buy them.
on April 3, 2013
Before we begin, check the review (re the 3 TB model) by CambyPCWizard right here at Amazon. I quote:

"It only gives you 2tb of empty space. It has 2 partitions that you can not do anything with. Wait for the 4tb"

Indeed, perhaps 80% of the hapless PC'ers who buy the 3 TB model (without reading my review) will believe the 3 TB model is screwed up. Too bad everyone at Verbatim is a Mensa and cannot bother to write a decent quick-start user manual. Verbatim will receive a lot of returns of the 3 TB model when the only thing defective is the user manual.

This is a combined review of these two models:
Verbatim 3 TB Store n Save 97581 external USB 3.0 Hard Drive
Verbatim 2 TB Store n Save 95780 external USB 3.0 Hard Drive

These hard drives have a few special features: on-off switch, Green Button software, excellent warranty, free back-up software, and cooling slots.

Use the on-off switch to power off the drive when you do not need it (be sure to remove hardware using Windows so you don't lose any data not yet written to disk). Many external USB hard drives do not feature an on-off switch. Green Button software is advanced power management to reduce power usage during times when your external HD is powered on but not being used. Most external USB hard drives have some method of reducing power usage when the drive is not accessed for an extended period (ask each manufacturer what their approach is).

Both of these models cool well with appropriately placed cooling slots. It is absolutely amazing how many other brands of external hard drives are sealed boxes with no cooling slots or they have cooling slots ON THE BOTTOM (heat is trapped as it rises). In fact, the majority of other-brand external hard drive enclosures are not designed for proper cooling.

Both models carry a seven year limited warranty - which is the best available.

The USB 3.0 is very snappy compared to USB 2.0.

Nero back-up software is included, but I have not tried it (I prefer SecondCopy by Centered).

You can run these drives while they sit on their thin edge (vertical). Not sure how you keep them from falling over.

Neither model actually has feet, but rubber nubs are provided (you stick them to the bottom of your drive). This is satisfactory, the rubber nubs raise the drive slightly off the surface and keep the drive from traveling around on smooth surfaces.

A possible negative: The provided USB 3.0 cable which connects the drive to the PC is very short.
Unless you intend to place your Verbatim HD immediately next to your PC, consider a purchase of something like the following:

or a similar cable in the length that you require.

Be aware: The real capacity of all these drives is about 20% less than Verbatim claims it is, for the same reason that every HD manufacturer lies about the capacity of their hard drives.

I have four total of these Verbatim drives. Two of the 2 TB 97580. Two of the 3 TB 97581. The 2 TB drives have been trouble free. If you only need a 1 TB or 2 TB external hard drive (non-portable), I recommend the Verbatim Store n Save without reservations.

All the negative info below pertains only to the 3 TB and 4 TB models. Read the following before you return your (???defective???) 3 TB Verbatim external hard drive.

Open letter to Verbatim:

Dear Verbatim: Following is a partial excerpt from my letter to the retailer.

Mr. X, Customer Service Department Manager, Retailer:

Dear Sir,

Your Store is fine. I am not too pleased with the manufacturer of this device. I spent a lot of time figuring out what is going on with this device (Verbatim 3 TB Store n Save external hard drive). One problem is Verbatim's totally inadequate documentation and incomplete technical support. I think I now understand this problem but I solved it with little assistance from Verbatim. Expect to receive a lot of returns of these hard drives from computer newbees. I have a fair degree of computer knowledge and (at first) I thought something was defective with this hard drive. Why? Because it arrives from the factory set up incorrectly for Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC's. I cannot say with certainty that this external hard drive will not work (as it arrives from the factory) with any PC. This is a brand new entry to your lineup of offerings so you cannot anticipate how many of these are going to come back. However, when you start to receive a LOT (40% to 50%) of returns of this item, you should contact the manufacturer and INSIST that they provide a proper manual and proper technical support. An incomplete owner's manual of four pages (containing zero substance) is not acceptable.

Thanks Steve

=========================================================

Dear Verbatim: Following is a letter to the manufacturer of my latest PC:

Mr. X
Technical Support

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Dear Sir,

Please see your Feb 10 email appended below.
Yes, I agree with you. I believe that you are exactly correct.

I have solved the problem (i.e., I now see one single device with one single continuous partition). Just letting you know some of the details.

My issue is with Verbatim and their total lack of proper documentation.

The Verbatim instruction booklet is four very sparse pages with not-useful information like (quoting): "Once the AC Adapter has been properly connected to the drive and an AC outlet, you can press the ON/OFF button to power on the drive." In other words, Verbatim states the obvious but provides zero hints why one physical device (the single huge external hard drive) shows up as multiple drives containing multiple partitions (in Windows 7 Disk Management).

I have retired all of my old PC's which featured older operating systems. And I understand the issue of MBR vs GPT. So I had a vague idea what I was searching for. I fault Verbatim for failing to explain this issue and lay out the complete sequence of procedures to correct this issue.

My sequence of corrective procedures:

(1) Obtained "Verbatim Mode Change Tool" from Verbatim. Applying this software application to the
> 2.2 TB external hard drive changed my view in "Disk Management" so I now viewed only one device divided into two partitions. The first partition ended at the 2.2 TB barrier and the second partition was not accessible.

(2)Windows 7 "Disk Management" could do nothing with the second partition. Selecting "New Volume" affected only the first partition. Deleting the first partition, formatting, nothing made any difference. The second partition remained inaccessible. Instructions from Verbatim were not helpful (incomplete).

(3) At the Command Prompt, DiskPart could not locate the second partition (insisted there was no second partition). So I used the Clean Command in DiskPart to delete the hidden partition. Be sure to caution any newbee to make certain that they have the proper disk selected in DiskPart if they wish to avoid a nasty surprise.

(4) I finally had a single disk, no partition(s), one continuous unallocated accessible space.

(5) When I returned to "Disk Management," it finally "saw" a brand new hard drive. Clicking "New Volume" in Disk Management caused Windows to prompt me to choose whether I wished the new disk to be "GPT" or "MBR." This choice was not possible until I cleared out the partitions, formatting, and whatever Verbatim did to make this one physical device appear to be more than one drive. I chose GPT because that is appropriate for > 2.2 TB hard drives.

(6) I formatted the drive NTFS with allocation unit size 4,096.

Steve

On 2/10/13, Support wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> I suspect that Verbatim may have formatted the drive in an unorthodox manner
> to provide broader compatibility with older computers.
> It should be possible to clean the existing format & initialize the drive
> with the GPT partition style to create a single, greater than 2.2TB
> partition. If you can provide a screenshot of the disk management
> information, I should be able to confirm this and provide further
> instructions on how to reformat the drive into a single volume.
> Kind regards,
> Mr. X
> Technical Support

I do recommend both of these models. You cannot beat the warranty. They run very cool compared to other external hard drives. I expect these Verbatim drives to last for many years because they are trouble free.

When you order the 3 TB model, immediately contact Verbatim technical support to obtain the "Verbatim Mode Change Tool." Verbatim does not offer the tool unless you request it. And yet, for the vast majority of you, the tool is essential.

You do not need to go through all the bs that I went through with my first Verbatim 3 TB purchase.
Instead, follow this simple step-by-step procedure for PC's running Windows 7 and Windows 8:
(1) Save all software (provided by Verbatim) to another device (so you don't lose it).
(2) Run "Verbatim Mode Change Tool" and apply to your new 3 TB Verbatim hard drive
unallocated partition, contact Verbatim Technical Support for assistance.
(4) In Disk Management, click on your new hard drive. Windows will request a choice between "MBR" or "GPT."
Select "GPT" for drives over 2.2 TB capacity.
(5) Format the drive
(6) Move software back to Verbatim hard drive

The Verbatim Mode Change Tool is capable of setting up your new HD to be compatible with other operating systems. Contact Verbatim Technical Support if you have questions.

Easy and simple.

Side note: By the end of year 2013, Verbatim will be offering a 4 TB model of their Store n Save External USB 3.0 hard drive. So if you need huge capacity, you might wish to delay your purchase. Everything that I have written re the 3 TB model - also applies to the 4 TB model.
1010 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
The real test of a product comes when it fails!

We had a problem with this drive after some months of use - it was no longer recognized by Windows 7 machines. We emailed support and they got back to us very promptly. When their solution didn't work, they quickly provided a replacement drive. I was impressed - their 7 year warranty means something!
on December 25, 2011
I love this product and the USB 3.0 is much faster than 2.0. The reason I bought this was to transfer everything from my older external HD to a new one. External HDs do not last forever, that is why I do not recommend ever buying over 1TB unless you are a music or film major in school. If so, I would recommend 2TB or more. This product has a short (about 1.5 ft.) usb cord. I would recommend purchasing a 6ft USB 3.0 cord along with this product. Amazon sells them with free 2day shipping if you are a student.YES, s I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO A FRIEND.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012
My main concerns when I purchased this drive were: Durability, price per storage amount, and ease of use. I bought this to serve as my 3rd redundant backup for videos and pictures of my daughter, so durability is important to me and it is too soon to tell how this device measures just yet. I have had it for ~3 months with no hard drive failures yet -I will revise my review in another couple of years.
Did not like the backup software that came embedded in it, especially since it ate some storage space. If you prefer a simple "drag and drop" harddrive with no embedded software, try the Maxell Gen HD (which I also purchased).
Case is plastic but sturdy, does not need a stand to help prop it vertically. Overall, I would buy again.
on April 2, 2013

“It only gives you 2tb of empty space. It has 2 partitions that you can not do anything with. Wait for the 4tb”

Indeed, perhaps 80% of the hapless PC’ers who buy the 3 TB model (without reading my review) will believe the drive is screwed up. Too bad everyone at Verbatim is a Mensa and cannot bother to write a decent quick-start user manual. Verbatim will receive a lot of returns of the 3 TB model when the only thing defective is the user manual.

This is a combined review of these two models:
Verbatim 3 TB Store n Save 97581 external USB 3.0 Hard Drive
Verbatim 2 TB Store n Save 95780 external USB 3.0 Hard Drive

Use the on-off switch to power off the drive when you do not need it (be sure to remove hardware using Windows so you don’t lose any data not yet written to disk). Many external USB hard drives do not feature an on-off switch. Green Button software is advanced power management to reduce power usage during times when your external HD is powered on but not being used. Most external USB hard drives have some method of reducing power usage when the drive is not accessed for an extended period (ask each manufacturer what their approach is).

Both models carry a seven year limited warranty – which is the best available.

The USB 3.0 is very snappy compared to USB 2.0.

Nero back-up software is included, but I have not tried it (I prefer SecondCopy by Centered ).

or a similar cable in the length that you require.

Open letter to Verbatim:

Dear Verbatim: Following is a partial excerpt from my letter to the retailer.

Mr. X, Customer Service Department Manager, Retailer:

Thanks Steve

==================================================================================

Dear Verbatim: Following is a letter to the manufacturer of my latest PC:

Mr. X
Technical Support

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Dear Sir,

Please see your Feb 10 email appended below.
Yes, I agree with you. I believe that you are exactly correct.

My issue is with Verbatim and their total lack of proper documentation.

My sequence of corrective procedures:

(6) I formatted the drive NTFS with allocation unit size 4,096.

Steve

On 2/10/13, Support wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> I suspect that Verbatim may have formatted the drive in an unorthodox manner
> to provide broader compatibility with older computers.
> It should be possible to clean the existing format & initialize the drive
> with the GPT partition style to create a single, greater than 2.2TB
> partition. If you can provide a screenshot of the disk management
> information, I should be able to confirm this and provide further
> instructions on how to reformat the drive into a single volume.
> Kind regards,
> Mr. X
> Technical Support

When you order the 3 TB model, immediately contact Verbatim technical support to obtain the “Verbatim Mode Change Tool.” Verbatim does not offer the tool unless you request it. And yet, for the vast majority of you, the tool is essential.

Instead, follow this simple step-by-step procedure:
(1) Save all software (provided by Verbatim) to another device (so you don’t lose it).
(2) Run “Verbatim Mode Change Tool” and apply to your new 3 TB Verbatim hard drive
(3) Look at the HD in Windows Administrative Tools => Disk Management. If you do not see one continuous unallocated partition, contact Verbatim Technical Support for assistance.
(4) In Disk Management, click on your new hard drive. Windows will request a choice between “MBR” or “GPT.” Select “GPT” for drives over 2.2 TB capacity.
(5) Format the drive
(6) Move software back to Verbatim hard drive

Easy and simple.

Side note: By the end of year 2013, Verbatim will be offering a 4 TB model of their Store n Save External USB 3.0 hard drive. So if you need huge capacity, you might wish to delay your purchase. Everything that I have written re the 3 TB model – also applies to the 4 TB model.

Warning: If you return your HD to Verbatim for any reason, first, try to save a backup of your data to another device.
on August 2, 2014
Product came in a timely manner, and is functioning well. Backup takes about 5 minutes, where the Seagate model we had for 2 years was taking about 20-30 minutes! Will probably have this one for a while with the 7-year warrantee.
on January 9, 2012
I bought this drive to tear apart and use the Samsung drive that others had mentioned in their reviews.

Unfortunately, I opened it to find that it contained a Seagate Barracuda Green drive instead of the Samsung.

Not to say that the Seagate is a bad drive, and I'm sure it'll be fine, but I was after the Samsung.

The case was nearly impossible to disassemble without breaking it in some way. The case appears to still be usable, but isn't very pretty anymore.

I'll still rate it at 4 stars because the Seagate is a good drive, and I'm sure the enclosure would have made a great external drive. It actually looks much better in person than in the pictures.
on April 30, 2016
After Dish Network upgraded our old DP311 Solo to a ViP211z HDTV receiver with internet and external hard drive (DVR) connectivity, I decided to trick it out. An Ethernet over powerline kit lets us order pay-per-view and helps keep the system software and program guide up-to-date. Time to DVR that pup! Significantly cheaper than Dish's own external hard drive of the same capacity, this Verbatim drive hooked up to the Dish receiver as if they were made for each other. A phone call to Dish to activate the DVR feature and, voila! Instant replay and nearly a hundred hours of HD recording time!
on April 2, 2016
great price quick delivery works perfect we use these to do our daily server backups
and about every two years replace them to avoid any issues and try to be proactive
these drives are durable and perform well especially considering how inexpensive the are