Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon July 8, 2011
The sweet taste you get popping a wild strawberry into your mouth is about the same sensation you get from Matthew Ducker's Kindle Short "The Eight Foot Woman."

Both are a quick treat, sugary and with just hint of zing to savor. Both are more of a delight because you only get to enjoy them infrequently. At once affecting and affectionate, the story's last sentence is especially pleasing.

But back to the beginning: Married to one another, Trevor and Cheryl are two slightly off-kilter beings, people a little mismatched with life who are absolutely meant for each other. He's a mechanic who has recently lost his job in a transmission shop. She works in a fitness center. They live in northern Virginia in a typical American town populated with the type of "dutiful churchgoers" who "attach an ichthys symbol to their mailbox so even the postal carrier knows how devout they are."

He was disfigured in an accident the night of their high school prom. He was severely burned and she was responsible. He has a name for the reaction people get the first time they see his scars and bulging eye, an expression he calls "swallowing their face."

She's a six-foot, one-inch Amazon - I imagined a larger-than-life Daryl Hanna - who gave up a promising basketball career to commit herself to her injured husband and soul mate.

Both have drawn into themselves. Both have wasted something of their lives and both carry around a burden of guilt along with the realization that "if wasted potential is a shame, then it's a shame that everybody knows well." They're mutually dependent, yet distant.

Cheryl tells the story, and its fulcrum is her high school class reunion where woozy from drinking too much from the punch bowl the former athlete tests whether she still has the right stuff to make a dunk." I started running, and the basket seemed to bend over as I left the ground. I felt the rim scraping my hands, and then the ball bounced off my knees, and I knew I had succeeded."

The reunion, a comic romp of a scene, leads the self-pitying pair to reexamine and regain some of what they've lost. Their story is genuine, it's as funny as it is engaging and in their portrayal they become real people who relate to each other the way real people do.

You can't help but cheer them on. For Cheryl and Trevor there's a glint of blue sky behind the storm. After you've spent the time to get to know them, that's something worth cheering about.[give it 4.5 stars]
0Comment61 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
This isn't a very happy story, but I liked reading about the development of two people who don't seem to be a very good fit for each other and who share a marriage nonetheless. The characters, even in their self-pity, made me think about life just a little bit differently. I wish there were more stories available by Mr. Ducker -- I'll eagerly await his next publication.
on July 11, 2011
I loved the end, because I feel that Trevor had no feeling for his self, but I know that he loved his wife. She knew that it was some space between them, and she reached across the table and removed his hand from the dead battery, giving him something alive to hold instead. This kindle Single is one of the best; I could not put it down. Love it.
on July 24, 2011
It's incredible to discover a fresh new voice in fiction. I wasn't sure if I was reading a love story or a horror story, and the amazing thing about "The Eight Foot Woman" is that it turned out to be both. Thank you, Kindle Singles, for introducing me to Matthew Ducker. And Matthew Ducker, if you happen to read this, I hope you're writing more. I'll be on the lookout.
on July 24, 2011
I really enjoyed is short story, I found that Matt really captured life in it. It is complicated and sad with bursts of small happy moments. The couple seem to be riding the roller coaster through it all, holding their own, yet holding on to each other as well. An easy inspiring read!
on August 12, 2011
This story hits on something very deep that many of us are familiar with. It tells of the pangs of regret and bittersweet acceptance that you feel when you realize the tradeoffs that you have made in your life that have caused you to end where you are. If you have ever felt the resentment of inappropriately placed obligations from your youth, when you tried to do the right thing and it ends somewhere that you never pictured yourself, you will understand this character's journey. The resentment, but then ultimate acceptance of not being able to be anywhere other than where you are, and how it can cause you to shut off and shut down, and end at a place where you don't recognize yourself, or your own life. It definitely struck a chord with me. I am looking forward to reading more by Matthew Ducker.
on September 2, 2011
I really liked this Kindle Single. The main character is a tall woman who falls in love with her high school sweetheart. She accidentally disfigures him in a fire that she caused. The woman turns down an athletic scholarship at an Ivy league school to stay with her now-disfigured boyfriend, turned husband.

Fast forward several years and the woman attends their high school reunion WITHOUT her husband. It's a story that well-written and easy to follow.
on August 11, 2011
I liked it. I grabbed the novel on a whim because I liked the cover. I would recommend it to others as a good little read.
on March 18, 2012
Interesting for a shorter story. Liked the characters and can relate in some way the things that happen to you in school and comes back around later in life.
on June 1, 2012
it desribs me but im not a women im a 13 year old girl and this height so yeah i also get called names likw gianit