Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 4, 2013
Okay, i was a little weary of these jackets or 'sweaters' as some retailers call them... but after buying this one, and wearing it in weather that was down to about 10 degrees in the evening, i can now attest to it's great warmth and comfort. I am a medium sized guy, 38 chest and 5' 9'', the Medium jacket is a great fit. Highly recommend this jacket as a layer piece or top shell for mild to cold weather without rain, it's only water resistant, not waterproof.
on November 29, 2013
Yes, that's right. I ordered and tried out NINE Down jackets from this category of sub-1lb jackets.
For features per dollar, it beat out everything but LLBeanie, but that jacket is way oversized.

Only thing the OR lacks is higher down loft (fill power) and hydrophobic down coatings that have become popular for extending water-resistance to down filling. But GUESS WHAT— a $14 bottle of NikWax DownProof (used exactly as directed) will solve that problem perfectly. But at 32º, I was equally comfortable standing still for 30 mins in a breeze in this 650-fill compared with an 800-fill Sierra Dez. model. It fits perfectly in under my REi Goretex shell, so water resistance is really unnecessary, but I will NkiWax it just the same.

I recommend this jacket, and it's nice and matte, not all trash bag glossy like Ratagonia and MountainNutware.
on February 20, 2013
I am 6'2" tall and weigh 180 lbs and I ordered the medium as I read here that this jacket ran big, and I'm glad I did. Plenty of room in the arms for those with bigger arms, a little tight on the back but really easy to move in, very light and yet warm, I'm very pleased with what they call the "slim fit" which is just regular fit for me, it's just so hard to find a jacket that is not made for men with huge bellys in the U.S.
on December 28, 2014
The Hops/evergreen is nothing like the pictured color. The picture appears to be leaning in the olive direction and the real coat is more in the lime green direction. It is much lighter/brighter, less conservative in color. I think we will keep it anyway, but disappointing to get get what you're expecting.
The fit seems right. We bought the XL for my husband who is 6' 3" 218lbs with extra long arms and it fits him well. We have yet to find out if it'll keep him warm in below 25 degree temps but hopefully it will.
review image
on March 30, 2015
I already bought the Outdoor Research Men's Transcendent Hoodie (size L) and loved it. So I got this Sweater in a medium - and fits like a glove. Below is the review for the Hoodie, so it's pretty much exact:

Probably my favorite coat as it wear it daily, not just for hiking. I'm on the shorter, less "athletic" builds reviewing on here, standing 5'8" and 170lbs so I went with the large as most of the people in my height range labeled themselves as "thin" or "athletic" builds. I've got a little extra winter padding in the belly range, so I went with the large and it fits a little big to be honest - but works nice for layering. I could have went with a medium, but I don't think I would wear more than a t-shirt underneath - I feel a medium an two sub layers wouldn't be comfortable. But a large and 2 layers is perfect. I usually go out with a T and just this coat when the temps are around 20-40F out. Sub 20F, I add a layer like a Mountain Hard Ware thin mid between the T-Shirt and OR and am quite toasty. I've been out sub-zero with just those layers and was fine as long as I was moving.

The build of the coat is awesome - I really feel like I am walking around with a sleeping bag around me. The zippers are super durable and the material is pretty tough. I wouldn't dive into a thorn patch though - probably rip it all up. The weight - just amazing. Doesn't feel like you're wearing a coat when it is on and plenty of room in the shoulders. I'm a photographer, so I need good arm movement and this has it. The pockets are deep - especially the Napoleonic one. I shove my phone in there and it usually sits by my armpit - keeping it warm when the temps really drop. You also get giant map pockets on the inside of the coat. I mean, these are huge!

If you're thinking about this one, I can't recommend it enough. Just an awesome layer / coat that you really can use every day.
on December 15, 2013
I am not a big guy, I wear a 40 reg suit and have always worn a medium jacket This jacket is cut very small under the arms and is actually uncomforable for me to wear. I plan to return it for a larger size.

Additional note, the jacket is warm enough for 30 degree weather but if it gets colder than that you will need to layer with it. I thought that it would be warmer than it actually is.

Jacket is very light weight and packs down to almost nothing. Great to travel with.
on January 18, 2013
This is my first purchase of an OR product. I could not be happier. This jacket was much cheaper then any Columbia, Marmot or North Face, yet better quality. I have friends that own the columbia version (well as close as they come) this jacket has a better feel. It is amazingly light, yet really warm. The really great thing is its not a HOT jacket, it will keep your body temp perfect when it is 30 deg or 0 deg. I have not yet tried it in sub zero weather. The jacket runs a tad small if you are planning on wearing laying under it. I am 5'8" and about 160 lbs and had to exchange a medium for a large.
on November 14, 2015
I bought this OR down jacket after reading pretty every review out there until my eyes started to bleed, then I started a meta-analysis to compare it to other similar jackets in the same $100-180 range, then decided to settle on this OR jacket, which is also my first purchase of any OR products. I have to say, the reviews out there are pretty accurate when you have a large enough sample size. I will try to keep my review short and to the point.
Pro:
1) Size is perfect fit, looks great on my body, not just because I'm a 6' 180lb slim hot stud myself. It's not as puffy and big as other down jacket, so this makes the perfect mid-layer in your multi-layer winter system.
2) Warm, while also pretty breathable. Let's face it, people who don't have solid taste in winter gears simply don't survive long enough to pass on their genes in the frigid cold winter of Wisconsin/the American Siberia. This jacket retains heat very well, and the collar helps me trap the heat.
3) Light weight. Its warmth to weight ratio really is perfect for hiking/everyday use. I wouldn't hesitate to take this jacket to my next skiing trip up in the mountains.
4) Very smart pocket placement. Perfect fit for a smart phone or IDs.
5) Great zipper, solid quality, very critical in the longevity of a jacket intended for heavy use.

Cons: I really can't think of any at the moment. Price isn't an issue here, as it is already the best down jacket on Amazon for the money. Will update in the future.

If you are looking for an everyday/through hiking/skiing midlayer down jacket, this is THE PERFECT choice. No, I did not receive this product for free for any bulls*** "unbiased" review; I bought this jacket with my own hard-earned money, and I'm writing this review simply because I want to promote a product worthy of my time. Needless to say, I am now a big fan of Outdoor Research product! Shut up and take my money!
on December 5, 2014
I'm 5'8, wear size 30 pants, 25 inch waist, muscular back and chest and I am shocked to say that this actually fits me. I got a size small. If anyone is out there like I was looking for a puffer that's not HUGE on you, this is the one. I've worn it in 1º weather with just a sweater undernearth and 10º with just a tshirt under it. it's extremely light and extremely warm, it's so warm you will not want to wear it in anything above freezing, I was sweating in my car with just a tshirt under. I read until my eyes bled and finally landed on this jacket, I'm glad I did. If you're skinny and not the tallest - YES THIS WORKS FOR YOU.
on December 2, 2012
Initial test on this jacket was above expectations. I wore it on the Amalfi Coast today. Temps in the 40's and lots of rain. The Jacket shed water like a champ in the down pour, after about an hour of rain exposure (sometimes heavy) I remained nice and toasty inside. I got the color Brick, and received a few compliments today. Love it!