Panasonic ES-LT41-K Arc3 Electric Razor Wet/Dry with Flexible Pivoting Head for Men
Size Name: 10.5000" l x 4.7500" w x 3.7500" h xChange
Price:$77.37 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 11, 2012
Size Name: 10.5000" l x 4.7500" w x 3.7500" h x
In the past, I used a Remington rotary shaver and it felt like my hairs were being pulled, instead of cut. In the end, my skin suffered. Therefore, I was done with electric razors. Then, after using the messy Soft Sheen Carson Magic Fragrant Shaving Powder, which can only be used 36 hours after an initial shave, I went to using razors, such as the Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor, 1-count Package. However, the cartridges were too pricey, so I would try to prolong them by shaving, twice a week. Therefore, I figured I would try some kind of electric razor, so I could get a good shave, everyday. This time, I was looking for a foil shaver because the rotary shaver irritated my skin. Then, I discovered the high ratings of the Panasonic Arc three on Amazon and decided to try it.

Features: This electric shaver is very versatile. It can be used wet or dry. In fact, regular shaving cream can be used with this shaver. The flexible pivoting head allows for a more precise shave around the contours of your face. The shaver can also be used, without the heads pivoting because there is a "lock" switch, which keeps the heads steady, during shaving. The pop-up trimmer is surprisingly effective. It actually trims better than my Remington trimmers. It trims the side burns and beard very quickly and surprisingly close. Other pop-up trimmers seemed useless, compared to this one. Keep in mind, the heads may block your vision on the desired areas to trim. Therefore, turning the shaver in a way to get a better look on where you want to trim should help.

Performance: The 30 degree Nanotech blades gives a fairly close shave, depending on how your hair grows. Don't expect the blades to shave very close after just one pass, ESPECIALLY if the hair that is thick. With that being said, I would recommend using this shaver, when the hair is not very thick. Of course, using the shaver, everyday or every other day should help, as well. Either way, a smooth and comfortable shave will be the aftermath of complete use.

Cleaning: Cleaning this shaver could not have been easier. After shaving, just put some hand soap on the foils of the shaver. Turn the shaver on and wait for the soap to lather. Remove the foil. Then, rinse the blades and the foil with water. It is that simple. For a more intense cleaning, you can use the Sonic Vibration Mode. Just press and hold the power button for a few seconds and the blades will vibrate, vigorously. Then, hold the blades under water and any access hair caught up in the shaver will be rinsed and shaken away.

Charging: A full charge only takes and hour. Also, this shaver can be used for 45min. of cordless shaving. It also has a five-minute quick charge feature, which allows just one shave, when the power has been exhausted. Of course, this would only be necessary if you were in a hurry to get a quick shave. The percentage of the charge can be see on the illuminated indicator on the front of the shaver.

This is a very good and versatile shaver. The only downside to this shaver is it does not cut close, without a number passes. The other issue with this shaver is it cannot be used, while it is plugged up. Of course, that is not a major flaw. Overall, this shaver is worth owning, especially for the price it has dropped to.

Exactly one year, later........

In the owners manual, the creators have a strong clam that the user won't have the desire to shave with anything else, if used for a minimum of 30 days. Of course, they claim this is the duration for a person's face to get used to various methods of shaving. Prior to that minimum of 30 days, I was not totally satisfied because of impatience, but the more I shaved, I realized that they were right. This shaver has totally cleared up my skin on my neck area. After using a razor for months, my skin was smooth, but it had somewhat of an irritated look on my neck area. Now, that is ALL cleared up. People have also noticed the difference in how smooth my skin is, since I have been consistently using this shaver. This tells me that the shaver is good for people with sensitive skin. If you buy this shaver and have any reservations after using it a couple of times, give it at the very minimum, 30 day chance. After owning this shaver for a whole year, it is still gives me a very comfortable shave. I will NEVER shave with anything else, again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 26, 2012
Size Name: 10.5000" l x 4.7500" w x 3.7500" h xVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have owned various rotary Norelco shavers, the Panasonic ES8243A (the blue one), and the Panasonic ES-LA63-S. I have always found the names of these shavers to be confusing, as if they are marketing them to robots. If you check the comparison chart on the Amazon page for this shaver (ES-TLT41-K), you will start to see the differences. However, most of it seems like marketing speak. I will try to quickly clarify some of this in my review.

The wet/dry Panasonic shavers, including this one, are very easy to clean. Antibacterial hand soap is applied to the foils and the shaver head can be rinsed under warm water while it is running. This helps prevent the spread of bacteria that can cause acne, and without having to buy any special solvents. I know that this sounds scary, like the blades will dull very quickly, but I've shaved daily for well past the suggested blade life with these shavers and the blades do stay sharp. Every once in a while, you can engage the "sonic vibration" mode, in which the blades shake like a Polaroid picture. This takes a bit longer, but helps knock off any little micro-crud that has accumulated.

Battery life is excellent. I charge once a week, but if I forget, the shaver lasts a few more days with no issue. If I forget until it stops, I can plug it in briefly and get a full shave. The batteries in the shavers I have had for years still last for multiple shaves.

Now, what about that marketing jargon? Unlike the more expensive models, this one does not have the "Multi-Flex Pivoting Head." That means that it can flex left and right, but not also tilt forwards and backwards. If you are math-minded, you can think of it as having one less degree of freedom. Does this matter? Yes. In my experience, the ES-LA63-S gives a gentler shave. However, I do have very sensitive skin. The ES-LT41-K and the ES8243A are not particularly harsh and should suit most people just fine.

This shaver lacks the "Ultra-Thin Vibrating Outer Foil" and the "Finishing Foil," as well as one blade vs. the other shavers I've discussed. It is hard for me to dissect exactly what each does in practice. The thin foil is only on the more expensive ES-LA63-S, but I think the ES8243A gives an equally good shave, so I do not think that this foil make for a closer shave, but perhaps a gentler one. However, I have found that the ES-LT41-K shaver (the one being reviewed) does not cut quite as close. It could be the "Finishing Foil," blade difference, or a combination of both. The shave is still good, with a smooth result given a proper break-in period and technique, but not quite as good.

The size of the heads are a bit different, with this being on the smaller side. This seems like an advantage for shaving near the nose, but there is a learning process in using a shaver with a large head like the ES-LA63-S. Once I got the method, I really appreciated how much it sped up my shaving. Still, the size of the ES-LT41-K is nice and the ergonomics make it easy to work with.

Overall, the ES-LT41-K provides a good shave for a good price. If you are not super picky or don't want to spend a lot of money on a shaver, this is a good one that makes smart compromises.
on April 26, 2012
Panasonic shavers are among the best, from my experience, and the ES-LT41-K is right at the sweet spot. It offers a high level of performance and useful features - good blades, 13,000 cycle per minute cutter - without unnecessary frills. To match the shaver to your needs, see the charts in the product listing for a great summary of the differences in the models.

GIVE IT TIME: If you're making the change to electric shavers, or switching brands, don't be hasty in reaching a decision about the shaver. Electric shavers are very different from a razor, and vary quite a lot among different brands. It will take a little time to figure out how to best use a given electric shaver.

That said, you really can't get the same shave with a shaver that you can with a razor. But then again, a shaver can be a lot more comfortable to use, especially on your lip and chin (where it can feel like your beard is being pulled out, rather than cut, with a razor). To me it's worth the tradeoff, though I do usually clean up with a razor to catch hairs and stubble I've missed.

GIVE IT TIME, PART 2: You may find you need to shave a little longer than you'd like to, or go over the same spot more than you think you ought to. But with a little bit of patience, you can get a remarkably close shave with this shaver.

WET OR DRY: If you only use this shaver dry, you may be missing something. It's a different shave wet, and it's great that this shaver is built to let you shave wet or dry.

EASY TO CLEAN: The wet or dry construction also makes it easy to clean - just run it under the faucet (with the cleaning mode on, if you like).

GREAT BATTERY LIFE: I can go weeks between charges. If possible, it's best to let the battery run all the way down and then recharge it fully to get the best charge capacity. Also, while the charge indicator is useful, it seems it can stay at 10% for a long time. Don't put the shaver on the charger when it reaches 10% - use it for more shaves.

THREE BLADES OR FOUR? Those with especially tough beards seem to swear by four blades, but to me the four blade shavers are just too large. Personal preference will vary - neither one is right for everybody.

PRICES FLUCTUATE: There are certain items on Amazon which seem to have wide price fluctuations, and Panasonic shavers are among them. So it may be worth tracking the price a little, or searching the web, to catch it on sale.

SKIP THE CLEANING STATION: Some may find it useful, but to me the cleaning station seems like a holdover from the days of harder-to-clean models. I had one on my last Panasonic shaver and never used it.

I used Braun shavers for many years, but after being disappointed with the declining performance of their more expensive shavers, I switched to Panasonic and haven't looked back. The Panasonic ES-LT41-K is an excellent choice among electric shavers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2011
I had a Braun 5414 which worked perfectly for 15 years. Yes, 15 years. The longevity was partly due to the fact that it could be plugged in while shaving, thus not overusing the battery.

The Panasonic ES-LT41 (mine doesn't have the "K" after it, whatever that means) cannot be used while plugged in. We'll see if it, and this review, last 15 years. Check back often...

Pros:
Great at shaving. Sharp, efficient, easy to clean. And though Panasonic claims this unit can be cleaned with soap and water, I've always been hesitant to expose steel items to H2O because to me that just spells r-u-s-t. Common sense. I never ran the Braun 5414 under water. Another testament to longevity?

Cons:
The ES-LT41 has a large, bulbous head, making close shaving around mustaches an aiming challenge, specifically under the nose. You're basically shaving blind there.

The pop-up beard trimmer actually works *too* good: it is challenging to actually *trim* the beard, rather, the beard-trimmer practically shaves the beard. This will take some time to get used to: holding it steady a fraction of a millimeter from the beard to trim just right. Especially early in the morning - pre-coffee.

Can't use it while plugged in. Will this shorten battery life? I'll let you know in less than 15 years, I'm guessing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really wonder if the coarseness or thickness of your beard affects how well foil shavers work for you. I haven't tried a foil shaver in over 10 years for multiple reasons, but decided the technology must have improved - with the nanotech blades, the 3 heads, and the flex pivoting head. However after giving the Panasonic wet/dry a really fair shake, I still experienced the same problems I've always had with foil.

But if you like foil shavers, there are a lot of nice things to say about this one:

* It charges *fast* (about an hour)
* Battery life is very good
* The swivel head is great
* Shaving in wet mode is a very nice feature (plus, you can rinse it in water, making cleaning easier)
* The on/off switch locks in place. Many times while traveling, I've had shavers turn on in my bag, then its dead when i needed it
* The pop-up trimmer is a nice feature

However, here are my complaints:

* In dry mode, it irritates my face pretty bad, pulls a lot
* The first time I used it, I tried it at a right angle as per instructions. I tried for 10 minutes, took a break, another 10 minutes, took a break, etc ... almost 40 minutes later, it still wouldn't get the tough spots. I gave up.
* I tried this for almost 2 weeks, using a variety of techniques and angles. On average, found it takes over 20 minutes to do 80% of my face. will never get the last 20%
* Wet mode is really cool, no pulling, no irritation, and works a lot faster (10 minutes). But it still left the last 20%, which I had to hit with a razor.
* The pop-up trimmer is too small/narrow
* Even if it worked, $80 seems a bit steep

For some reason, the 3 rotary head shavers have always worked better for me. My 15-year old Norelco (similar to this model - Norelco 7310 does a superb job in 3-4 minutes. It cost about $50, has lasted this long with original parts. For days I want a stubble, I can do my entire face with my iStubble in under 90 seconds.

The big vindication for this shaver is that my wife likes it for her legs, with no pulling or irritation. So I'm conflicted on how to rate it, but giving it 3-stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have owned a number of electric razors over the years including the Braun 3Series 340S-4 Wet & Dry Shaver,Philips Norelco 7310 Men's Shaving System, and Panasonic ES8103S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver, and now the the ES-LT41. I always ended up preferring the razors that were in the sub- $75 range actual cost (not retail price), just like this one. This particular razor was actually confiscated by my daughter for her use (legs and arm pits) she loved it so much.

Panasonic razors typically come out on top when considering price point and quality. In this case, the 13k cycle per minute cutting rate combined with the blade system, ergonomics, and price point will likely place this in the sweet spot for most users. This particular razor can be used wet or dry, which is an important point because wet shaves, in my opinion, yield better results (and makes it even more usable for women). The Panasonic ES-LT41-K Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Black/Silver does not come with a cleaning system or charging stand; hence the reason for lower price when compared to products like the Panasonic ES8228S Men's Linear Vortex Nano Arc Foil Shaving System, Silver. In my opinion, the charging stand is not necessary and the cleaning system is a throwback to a bygone error because newer products are easily cleaned compared to the older systems. The battery will fully charge in 70 minutes (at least that was my measured rate) and retain the charge for weeks. As with these types of batteries, let the battery run completely down before charging the first few times. This will condition the battery and extend its like significantly. The LCD is simply fabulous and easy to read. It primarily shows the battery and cleaning status. The sonic cleaning system is simple to use (just some liquid soap and water on the foil)by pressing and holding power button until it initiates for 20 seconds.

As for experience while shaving, keep in mind that personal preferences vary greatly. I have friends who swear by rotary heads as opposed the foil types (this type). Also, this shaver has 3 blades compared to other razors and those with significant bear growth typically prefer 4 blade systems that I personally find too large. Another point with foil versus rotary head razors is irritation, which I infrequently experience but some friends experience at a far greater rate. Also, for anyone looking to get as close of a shave as with products like the Gillette Fusion Manual Razor, simply forget it despite what other may say. I have never experienced as close of a shave. For many, that may take some getting used to. In my neck area for example, I often have to make repeat passes at various angles (my hair will often grow in at weird angles). So, if you are really looking for a close shave, I suggest trying something along the lines of The Art of Shaving Fusion Chrome Collection - Proglide Power Set 6 piece. Finally, if you are someone who lets your beard grow out at length before shaving, this razor, and most electric razors are not for you.

I gave this razor 5 stars based on its design, quality, usefulness, and price point at the sub-$75 range. Advertised prices for this product will change and you will often see a $20 fluctuation.
on March 22, 2012
I've been using a Panasonic ES-LV61-A Men's 5-Blade (Arc 5) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Blue for several months and welcomed the opportunity to evaluate a less-expensive Panasonic electric shaver to compare and contrast. In the past, I've also used Brauns and Norelcos. While I still like Braun (and never cared for the Norelcos), I find these Panasonic shavers to be better in many respects.

The ES-LT41-K is a good value. The ES-LV61-A has five blades and a head that pivots four ways: back and forth, and left and right. The ES-LT41-K only pivots left and right. However, if you apply pressure to the head, it will "give" a bit, like a shock absorber. It doesn't pivot back and forth because the pop-up trimmer assembly, which you can't see in the photo, isn't part of the head -- it's an extension of the body. (I don't understand the product page summary that states that it pivots back and forth. It doesn't.) The head can be locked into place with a switch on the side of the unit.

As for shaving, this model does a great job. The ES-LV61-A has a slightly faster motor and five blades (four foils and one central blade to catch longer whiskers), but the "nanotech" cutting head technology is the same in both units. Frankly, I find that both units shave really well and take equivalent amounts of time -- the five blades of the ES-LV61-A don't really speed up the process much; in fact, five blades makes for a large surface area to maneuver around your face. They do a great job wet or dry. You just have to be patient. (The ES-LV61-A has a timer on it, which this model doesn't. My shaves usually take about 3 minutes with the ES-LV61-A.) Neither shaver irritates my skin -- some Brauns I've used left my skin feeling a little warm or raw.

The pop-up trimmers on both units are precise and quick. I don't notice that there is really much of a difference. They trim my sideburns quickly and without tugging the hair, probably because of the high motor speed and power on these units.

Both units are the same size and weight. I find the contoured body comfortable to hold. The display on this unit shows the remaining charge and the charging state of the Li-Ion battery. It's nice that Panasonic uses a higher end battery here. Li-Ion is superior to NiMH and Ni-Cad batteries in terms of overall battery life (i.e., number of charges before the battery degrades).

The units are equivalent in the amount of noise they produce, and they are fairly loud.

As for maintenance, both units offer a "sonic" cleaning mode that works really well: you hold the power button down for a few seconds, and the unit starts running the motor at a faster rate, vibrating the head. If you follow the instructions, a bit of running water and liquid hand soap will get both units exceptionally clean. No more brushes to sweep the debris from the cutting heads, etc. It's an impressive feature.

The unit comes with a wall wart adapter. The battery will charge in about an hour, which is pretty quick. For travel, the ring around the power switch will rotate to lock out the power switch and prevent the shaver from turning on in your luggage.

Overall, this is a great shaver that offers a comparable shave to its much more expensive sibling. It offers about 90% of the features. To be honest, I don't think the additional features of the ES-LV61-A are worth the extra money considering the shave you can get from this razor. However, you'll be well served by either.
on July 17, 2012
Size Name: 10.5000" l x 4.7500" w x 3.7500" h xVerified Purchase
I've been an electric razor user for decades. I've gone through more than one Braun, more than one Norelco, and I'm on my second Panasonic. Of the three brands, Panasonic is the best. The Braun shavers feel the best made and have lasted forever; I still have a Braun Synchro I keep around, just in case (it still keeps a charge, more than 10 years later!). But, the two Panasonics gave me a closer shave. As a test, I shaved with the Braun with essentially new foil and cutters. I then followed with the Panasonic. I could hear and see the Panasonic cutting hair the Braun could not. The Panasonic is much better on the neck area. I believe it is due to the shape of the Panasonic head (the Panasonic is curved while the Braun is flat). I also still have a Norelco Speed XL. While the rotary shaver does well on the neck area, it can't compare to the foil shavers for overall closeness. As an added bonus, the Panasonic can be used wet, if you so choose. The only negative for the Panasonic is it will not work while plugged to an outlet (I guess for legal reasons). I also occasionally wet shave with an old school safety razor. If the quality of the shave with the razor is a 10, I would rate the Panasonic a solid 9; 9.5 if you factor in convenience. I also sometimes shave my head with it. Works great on my head as well. Panasonic's Arc 3 line is a steal for the price. It pays for itself in 6 months compared to buying replacement cartridges, while giving a shave that is faster, more convenient, and just as close. A winner.

*UPDATE*
After 1 year and 10 months, this razor died. At first, the readout started going wacky (just like my Panasonic es8109). A month or two later, the screen went blank and I noticed moisture in the screen (I only shaved once wet). A week later, the shaver would not start. My es8109 (the same as the es8103) is somewhat working 5 or six years later (for two of those years, the es8109 was not being used); the motor has gotten noisier and it doesn't seem to vibrate as fast.

I just replaced this shaver with a Norelco SensoTouch 3D model 1260x. The Norelco is much quieter than the Panasonic (and Braun). I've only used the Norelco once. As with other rotary shavers, the shave isn't as close as the Panasonic. I'll continue using the Norelco for a month to see if it does better after my face adjusts to it. I'll write a full review of the Norelco at that time.

I dropped a star from the original review. I've had 2 Panasonic shavers and both have not lasted more than 4 years. If Braun and Norelco can make a shaver that lasts more than 10 years, then so should Panasonic.
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2012
OK, I am a woman who regrettably has to shave her legs. I am delighted with the quality and performance (close shave) of this particular Panasonic. The feel of it in my hand is great and the on/off switch located on the front of the unit can be locked into the on position should your fingers inadvertently touch the button. I have tried electric razors designed for women - they are all terrible. I have no idea what the difference is between the stubble on my legs and my husband's whiskers - he used my razor too and now prefers mine to his. Men - women - try this wet or dry Panasonic Shaver - you too will be pleased. Why do women's shavers have to be pink anyway?
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I give the Panasonic ES-LT41-K a solid 4 Stars. It delivers a close shave, but it does take getting used to. Check out my video review for more.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations