Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light 2, Blue (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

I have two Baby Bjorn travel cribs for my baby twins and a Phil & Ted travel crib for my older child. Which one is better for air travel? Which one for car travel? There is a difference.

BABY BJORN

The BabyBjorn travel crib can't be beat for use at home and for car travel, as it can be set up and disassembled in about 30 seconds. We use American Baby Company Value Jersey Knit Porta-Crib Sheet, Celery, and it fits the mattress perfectly, at a fraction of the price of the Baby Bjorn crib sheet. My son sleeps in the travel crib almost every night and seems comfortable, as the mattress is fairly thick and has no bars underneath like a pack n play would. However, at 33", I think he'll outgrow it in a few months as there is not a lot more room lengthwise (the mattress is 24" x " 41", the dimensions given in the description are for the outside). *** Please note that the mattress is on the soft side and may not be suitable for newborns or babies that cannot roll over on their own ***

The material of the crib is also worth noting. It's soft and cottony and has stayed like new after daily use.

Why not five stars? The Baby Bjorn travelcrib is also lot larger folded up than the Phil & Ted's. I wouldn't use it for air travel if you want to minimize the amount of luggage - it's bigger than a carry-on and may have to be checked - call ahead to check carry on dimensions allowed and if you can gate check it (new restrictions may apply). I also doubt the fine zippered bag it comes in will hold up to baggage handling. It's also way too expensive - it costs almost as much as my son's Bonavita hardwood crib!

PHIL & TED'S

The phil&teds Traveller Crib, Black on the other hand is a great travel crib for air travel as it folds up very small, is super lightweight, and fits into any suitcase or duffle - I think you could even fit two cribs in without any problems in terms of size or weight. However, it does take about 15 minutes to set up and to disassemble and fit into the small bag it comes in. So plan ahead, practice at home, have your child sleep in it a night or two so they get used to it if possible, and bring along the manual, just in case. Set it up as soon as you get to your destination - you don't want to do this later on with a tired crying child.

The self-inflating mattress on the P&T is long and narrow, similar to those used for camping. We put the mattress inside and used regular crib sheets on it and tucked them well underneath (the newest model has a vinyl sleeve to put the mattress into). It will probably work for kids up to age 3, as any older, they may not like being confined in a smallish space. My two-year old child slept well in it on long trips and it still looks new after much use, with a material that is easy to clean.

Although harder to set up and dismantle, I found the Phil & Ted to be great quality, super compact and much less expensive than the Baby Bjorn travel crib. It's also likely that I'll be using it longer than the BB, as it's more compact and can be used outdoors as well.

In a nutshell, both are good but with some disadvantages - the Phil & Ted crib is better for air travel and indoor/outdoor use, while the BabyBjorn one is better for home and car travel. Regardless of which you go with, it may be a good idea to put your kids in their stroller or bouncy seat while you assemble either one of these (like the KidCo GoPod Portable Activity Seat - Pistachio. You don't want little fingers in the way.

If you are considering the Kidco Peapod - beware. The sides are made of non-breathable material and it's easily malleable. A 5 month old child tragically suffocated in a PeaPod last December (see March 27, 2012 review from Christine Whelan, the mother, for the Kidco PeaPod Plus Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed - Red - see links under comments).

Finally, once your kids outgrow these travel cribs, consider getting the excellent AeroBed Sleep Tight Inflatable Bed for Kids. It works well for kids three and over, with built in side and end rails, sheets, detachable electric pump and storage bag with shoulder strap. It's very comfortable, easy to clean, can be used at home for sleep-overs and is great for trips.
2323 comments|292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2015
That is a great portable crib, and I have nothing to say against it except that the last time we used it, our daughter was 33 inches and it was barely long enough for her. She moves a lot, but the length of the sleep surface being only 40 inches, it was really tight and we heard her moan in her sleep trying to find a comfortable spot and found her all bunched up at night. It didn't make for a very restful vacation for everyone.

Now, at 2, she's 37 inches and there is no way we can keep using this for our next trip (in 2 weeks). So the only (but important) con I have is that it is an expensive crib to pay for barely 2 years of use.
on October 4, 2013
We decided to buy this awesome travel crib, after a great deal of research and consideration. It was a big financial investment, but we bought it around Christmas time and managed to get it on sale. If you are a couple who travel A LOT, and you need something safe, clean, and extremely easy to travel with, this is for you.

*We have a pack n' play as well, but due to it's weight and size it tends to live at grandma's (especially since that is a common destination for us).

With this crib we have traveled both by plane and by car; we've taken it to friend's homes when invited for dinner or during nap times, and we've used it in many hotels and guest rooms. It can be assembled in seconds, and dissembled just as quickly, the pad is cushy and comfortable, the sheet it soft and easy to clean, and when all packed up you can fit this in a large suitcase, pack your heaviest items around it, and still make the weight limit for the flight - a really great option for longer distance flights and when you are able check more than one bag (my husband and I usually travel together, so this has never been an issue).

Pros:
1) The weight! It is the lightest travel crib, and I've carried it all over with no problems, even while 9 months pregnant.
2) Ease of assembly - it really does take just seconds
3) Intelligence of design - so quick and easy, but still cozy and stable
4) Clean, attractive BabyBjorn design. No extra frills or ugly patterns to distract baby or make you cringe.
5) Small, light and mold-able enough to fit in a large checked bag and still fit some other - especially heavy - items.
6) Ease to clean - sheet comes off, and the cushion is waterproofed.
7) Cushy, good quality mattress - much better than the pack N Play. Not sure if suitable for newborns.

Cons:
1) I guess a climber MIGHT grow out of it a little early. Our almost 2 year old, isn't a climber, so this hasn't been an issue for us. Also, it's pretty sturdy, and the tent poles are angled out, so chances or it tipping seem pretty slim.
2) The cushion, though thick and supposedly insulated, basically rests on floor, so might not be great if surface underneath is bumpy/rocky or really cold. I think if we wind up using this on our next trip to India (land of tile and marble flooring - and we're always there in winter), we will probably have to do something extra to ensure whichever child is sleeping in it stays warms and cozy.
3) When packed up, the whole thing is extremely light, and it gives a little if you need to pack around it, but it isn't small. If you need something that will for sure fit into a carry-on bag, this isn't the one for you - though I think it can count as a carry-on item. I would check with the airline.
4) The tent poles holding it up do stick out a bit, and several times - particularly when using it in a cramped NYC hotel room - I have stubbed my toes on the poles or tripped over them. This isn't that big of deal, but it can be annoying.
5) Cost $$$ - though again, if you travel a lot, or just go out socialize a lot, you will most certainly make the price worth it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2013
I got this for a colleague who has the kind of lifestyle that involves much baby-hauling. She had had another portacrib on her "baby registry" list, but I researched it and it was panned by consumers, so I got her this one instead (it was a departmental gift for her baby shower). It's worth the price for sure, and it DOES set up in less than 30 seconds once you know what you're doing. Best of all, it's sturdy, it's stable, and can accommodate a baby into early toddlerdom... it's not one of the flimsier/smaller ones that a big baby can outgrow!
on December 26, 2012
I got this because it breaks down into the size of a large briefcase, is very light, and is able to accomodate older toddlers (for later grandchild visits). My 13 month old grand daughter slept well in it and her parents said it was great. It would be hard to handle a very young baby in this bed because the mattress is very low (pack n play better for that age). I would get again and it would be a great gift for other grandparents or young families who travel with toddlers.
on January 7, 2013
I tell everyone about this crib. It takes 1 minute to set up and maybe 2 minutes to fold away. We used it on every trip we take. We also use it when we leave him with my sister's. He sleeps fine in it. My son was about 6 months when we started using it.

i'm thinking of using it for a ball pit for my one year old hehe!
on January 25, 2016
this is the best easy to set up play pen EVER one purchase you will never regret ! I've ordered this back in 2012 and am still using it with my youngest. packs down quick, very light weight and high quality one baby essential you will never travel without!
on November 25, 2015
We've tried many travel cribs, includes one's we bought ourselves and one's we borrowed while traveling, and this one is the simply the best. Anything that makes it easier to put the little one's to bed is going to get lot's of stars in my book, and this one doesn't disappoint. Thanks to the quality and reputation, the resale value is very high, meaning the actual cost of ownership is low enough to make it a very good value.
on June 22, 2014
I will preface this review by saying that I've only ever tried out one other portacot, but this is hands down a winner. It's much more lightweight and compact than any other cots my wife and I have seen in stores. Super quick and easy to set up and take down, and the included carry case makes it easy to travel with - just like a small suitcase.
on December 19, 2012
Seriously, I have nothing but good to say about this product. It really is SO easy to set up and take down. It is super light and compact. Yes, it is expensive, but it beats all the other pack n' plays that are heavy and bulky. I am not super strong and to reduce the weight and size of all the baby gear needed to travel is almost always worth it to me. The blue color is really nice too, I kinda want to use it on the beach and see how it does, will update if I do.