Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Epson Workforce 645 is a wireless, all-in-one printer that is perfect for home or for a very small office. It is similar in size and appearance to the Epson WorkForce 840, which I also own, but has only one paper tray, more tools for printing and editing photos and the front LCD panel is not touch screen. (I find I actually prefer the non-touch screen on this printer. The buttons make it quicker to perform each task.)

This is not a small printer, but it is not excessively large. It measures 17"W x 14 1/2"D x 9"H when closed, however you will need additional space in front and behind the printer to load the paper tray and to clear paper jams. It is a combination of high gloss, matte, and textured black plastic and feels acceptably solid.

Upon opening this printer, you will find a lot of protective plastic and packing tape. Go over it carefully and remove it all before installing and using the printer. There is a driver and software CD, a set up sheet which guides you through unpacking, a quick guide manual, four full-size ink cartridges and a telephone cable for faxing. Note: because this is a wireless printer, there is no usb printer cable included. If you do not have a wireless network or prefer to use a direct connection, you will need a usb printer cable before setting up your printer. Also, the installation software recommends using a printer cable temporarily for set up, so I am disappointed that there is none included (although this is the standard practice with most printer manufacturers.)

A tip: avoid using the CD that comes with this printer to install the software, if possible. Instead, go to Epson dot com and search for the driver combo software for this model in their download section. This will be the latest version of the drivers and software. As a general rule, it is always preferable to download drivers vs. using the included disc, which can be months or even a year old.

The software must be installed on every computer that you wish to use this printer with. This can take some time if you have several computers on your network.

Setting up the wireless capability is easy. You will need to know your wireless router's SSID (name), the kind of security (if any), and the password (if any). If your wireless network is not set to broadcast, like mine, you will add it manually through the front control panel.

The four included ink cartridges are full-size, extra-capacity, but the manual states that a certain amount of ink is used for the initial priming so you won't get quite as many pages out of these.

The printer itself is exceptional. Epson has added so many fine features that it will satisfy almost any home printing needs. Briefly, it will copy, fax, scan and print. It has dedicated buttons on the front control panel for photo printing and even basic photo editing, copying (enlarging and reducing), scanning and faxing. There is a memory card slot and a usb port on the front of the printer so you can print directly from your camera, a memory card, a thumb drive, a portable hard drive, etc. There is a document feeder which allows you to copy or scan multiple pages without loading each page individually. It is also set up for easy, double sided-printing. It is capable of airprint, Google Cloud Print, and Epson connect email print, too! All this and it prints blazingly fast.

The print quality is excellent. As with all inkjet printers, the quality of the paper greatly determines the quality of the printed page. It is near laser quality if you use premium inkjet paper and is quite acceptable using cheap, copy paper. I am impressed with the photo quality when I use glossy photo paper and matte photo paper produces good results also. You can increase the drying time through menus on the control panel and I recommend that when printing multiple photos or there is a tendency to smear.

Airprint allows you to print wirelessly from your iPad or iPod! There are very few printers on the market at this time with airprint capabilities. My iPad2 picked it up immediately and the document printed flawlessly. Google Cloud Print lets you print to this printer from any computer, anywhere. (You must install Google Chrome to use this feature.) Epson Connect works similarly to Google Cloud Print and actually assigns your printer an email address so that you can email documents or photos directly to your printer from anywhere!

Really, there are so many features that I urge you to read the included quick guide and also spend some time checking out the more extensive online manual. There is also a good troubleshooting section in the online manual.

I currently own and use 3 Epson inkjet printers and I continue to be impressed with their performance and print quality. This particular model is especially suited for home use or a very small office, IMO, and is a good value for the price.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This printer is a few steps up form my Workforce 635 which I've reviewed in March of 2011. The front interface and buttons are the same layout which is grouped in sections (Fax, Copy, Scan) and has its own set of buttons accordingly. While in theory its easy, seeing all the buttons covering the front is a bit confusing but you'll get used to it. One big main start and stop button is plenty, not one for each group. I got the 635 in only March and now its November and Epson has replaced this model already. It seems every 6 months is a new release which is just too soon.

This model is basically the same as the earlier 635 with a different set of inks, its #'s 127 but you CAN use the normal capacity of 126 from what i'm now finding out. But the different # inks ave very confusing because the packaging some say Ultra High Capacity and others say Extra capacity even in the same # code. The replacement inks for CMY are $41 and Black is $19, which is about $60 bucks comparing it to the price of this printer which at the time of my review is $150. It costs half the amount of a brand new one.

I've also noticed that if an ink tank is low and you get the "replace/ink empty" error on the screen, you cannot even print in just black ink till you get another ink. It locks the printer out and your stuck till you replace the empty ink, shame on you epson!

Other than the ink situation the printer itself is fast in both scanning and printing but much slower if printing photos, especially on photo paper. The quality is great especially in black though colors sometimes look a little off compared to my canon. I use this printer for copying and printing stuff off the web and leave the photo printing to my canon. I do like the flip up paper feeder on top and is something I like about most Epson's.

I use a mac and windows, the setup for mac was super easy but for windows, it was a little more tricky. Because the window pc wasn't the "main" pc, you have to install a network program that configures it slightly different which I find weird.

Lastly, I have a larger version of this printer the 845 for my office which has the addition of dual paper trays and a touch screen. Honestly, there is no difference between them other than those two things. For me, I'd say spend as little as you can on printers because they don't last like they used to and the inks are overly priced. That's just my opinion. I gave this printer 4 stars for the printer itself but not for Epson. I wish they would stick to one set of inks though. Of P.S. don't even think of using non epson inks, they will clog the printer up bad that's if you can even get them to work.

separate ink tanks
Epson connect lets you print from iPad and iPhone

windows install is a pain
paper trays are cheap plastic and stick sliding in or out
too many buttons on the front
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I resisted buying an all-in-one inkjet, concerned it just meant more things to go wrong in an already complicated piece of technology, and spent years getting by with copier and fax freeware. After trying this Epson Workforce printer, I have to admit I've been living wrong. Things I like are that the footprint is no larger than my old HP printer, alone. The copier and fax functions are fast, have automatic two-sided and multiple-page feed and in color mode the copier function renders colors accurately. The text quality is very high and the print speed quite good. Though it is feature-rich, I do have some reservations. The controls, which use a mix of touch-screen and keypad inputs, are not quite as simple as a completely touch-screen driven unit. There is no simple way to print envelopes--you have to pull out the paper tray, remove the paper supply, consult the manual for the proper orientation, insert one envelope at a time and re-insert the paper tray. The components, including the paper tray, are uniformly of a very thin plastic. The lid, which contains part of the copier and fax feeder mechanism, hinges on plastic and there is no real suspension to prevent its dropping like a rock. The overall impression is of delicate construction. For a careful home user this might not be a problem, but I am skeptical it will stand up to any more than light to moderate use. Bottom line: Despite its name, I wouldn't recommend this printer for office use. However, for the average home user I think this is a very nice printer and, if at a discounted price, a good value.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2011
High Capacity Ink Cartridges INCLUDED
Relatively Compact Size
Two-Sided Printing
Two-Sided Scan and Copy
iPhone and iPad Printing

Less than perfect text alignment (may be related to print speed)
Average photo speed and quality

I just installed my WorkForce 645. Thusfar, it has exceeded my expectations. The workmanship, design, quality, are all superior.

Setup was simple, and excellent instructions are provided. Four high-capacity ink cartridges are included! This is a real bonus compared to competitors.

The test page printed very well. I sent a FAX successfully. I also scanned a document with no problems whatsoever.

I particularly like the relatively small size and light weight. It is designed with the user in mind. The front panel even tilts upward to make it easier to see.

I have noticed less than perfect text alignment, but I believe it may be related to the extremely quick print speed.

Photos take much longer to print and are of average quality. If you are looking for high-quality photo printing, this may not be the perfect machine for you. However, if you are looking for high-efficiency features like an auto document feeder, an auto duplexer, and less expensive ink cartridges then this machine may be just what you are looking for. I would highly recommend it for a small office environment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wireless installation couldn't have been smoother. It found our network and accepted our password on the first try. (BTW: notice that it is case-sensitive). It was equally easy to install on my PC laptop and on my Mac Desktop. It was operational in minutes.

I was already familiar with its older brother, the Epson Workforce 840. That one is installed in an outside office and, due to the concrete walls and distance didn't connect wirelessly with some rooms within the house. This one, installed inside the house, does reach throughout the house. It has only one paper tray, but for household use that is just fine. It holds half a ream of paper, so constant reloading is not a hassle. It also has the ink divided into the four CMYK colors, thus avoiding having to change a single color cartridge if only one color runs out. Also, it has the added advantage of having the black cartridge be higher capacity than the others since black is always the color that runs out first and this sort of levels the playing field. The first print job upon arrival was printing Christmas card labels for 300 and the same number of return address labels. I just loaded and off it went. There was no jamming, no misalignment, no smudging,just smooth feeding and quick and quiet printing.

The printer has the capacity to fax when connected to a phone line. I am not planning on doing so, but you can fax from within programs such as Word or Excel, from the scanner flatbed, or multi-page documents from the paper tray. The problem I see is that, while it sends it doesn't receive so, if faxing is a frequent activity for you, you need a dedicated fax. It also has the ability to open your e-mail program (such as Outlook) to automatically send an e-mail. But just because it can, doesn't mean it's the best way to do it, so I tend to just use it as a default document printer; as a work-horse scanner and as an occasional color copier.

Other features I don't use, but it's still nice to have, are two-sided printing and using a smart phone or I-pad to order printing jobs. It also has a card slot in case you want to print your digital images without editing them first.

Like its bigger counterpart, it has the Epson twain program for scanning. This is, in my experience, the most intuitive and dependable scanning software for both beginner and professional. Anyone familiar with Photoshop or Elements will find the same color-related controls here. The only difference I've noticed between the Epson software provided with all-in-one printer/scanners and that they provide with stand-alone photo scanners is the addition of Digital Ice, specialized professional software removing dust and scratches and holders for transparencies and slides. The Dust Removal feature that comes with this printer/scanner, however, is more than adequate for most purposes. It even has controls for correcting backlighting and for compensating for faded color originals. (The latter sometimes absolutely nails it--sometimes, not so much. But it's always worth trying).

There is one tweak the twain program needs: the interface must be closed down by pressing the red x on the scanning controls window. Should you close the program by closing it from the taskbar or by pressing the red x in the scanning preview window, the next time it opens it won't display a preview. There is no way (that I've found) to turn on the preview other than resetting to factory defaults and losing your preferences. My only other objection is that it embeds an Epson-specific color profile that I have to convert to my working space with each and every image when I open it in Photoshop. Takes about 2 seconds and converts well, but it's annoying to not be able to embed my profile of preference.

Already having one Epson all-in-one, what made me want to repeat the experience? The fact that it's an outstanding value in the specific areas which are important to me:
* Economy: the inks are long lasting and economical to replace one-by-one.
* Print Quality: outstanding. Presentation level.
* Low-noise: There are too many distractions already, having a printer that works at a low hum is very nice.
* Dependability: my other unit has not had a single paper jam (knock on wood!) in all the time I've had it. It handles every medium I've used well: 20 and 24 paper stock; card and cover stock; glossy photo paper; every size adhesive label; envelopes. From what I can tell, this one is a dead-ringer.
* Excellent scanner: Scanning is a large part of my daily activities. I now only use the professional scanner for slides and negatives.
* Wireless: You'd be amazed at how fast you get used to the luxury of working anywhere and just clicking something to the printer. I can print to this machine from anywhere in the house on both Mac and PC.
* Ease of use: it is easy to manage the printer. It's easy to set preferences, to cancel print jobs, to check ink levels. It's just plain easy.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Epson created a compact, feature-filled printer with a small footprint, a LCD, and simple controls. It is quieter than competing brands and can be made quieter still if you want to sacrifice a little speed. Unfortunately there are some serious annoyances you will encounter as you operate this printer and they're bad enough to make you look to other brands.

First, and there is no other way to say it, putting paper into this machine is an exercise in frustration. I broke last year's model simply by refilling the paper tray. I have never seen a machine that makes this simple task so difficult and I picked up this year's model only to see if the problem was fixed (it's not). There is nothing to guide or slide the tray into place and it seems there are pieces of breakable plastic along the path that the tray snags against. Changing paper becomes frustrating to the point that you'll avoid using it for anything other than plain paper just so you don't have to go through the hassle.

Secondly, web printing leaves little to be desired. If you're a web developer, you'll want to counter by saying it's the site's fault, web pages weren't designed for printing, etc. We don't care. Since so much of the information we get is online, it makes sense that we would want to print some of this information on occasion. Canon has "Easy Web Print", HP has "Smart Web Printing" (and a horrible alternative that requires installation of a toolbar), and so on. Epson has no competing offering. It's time they got online.

Third, Epson's print preview function leaves a lot to be desired. It's a grainy, low resolution replica with little resemblance to what you will actually see on paper. Worse yet, the initial page view is so small it's unreadable. Every time you print something you have to adjust the settings just to see the picture. There is no way to save these settings so they are used by default so every print job includes the hassle of enlarging the print-preview window, then enlarging the print preview page before deciding to send the job to the printer. It's a limited, feature-less afterthought to an everyday task and a common expectation of printer users.

Finally, and this seems new to this year's model, text does not seem as dark compared to other brands. Comparing sheets of printed black text side-by-side, I find the Epson very light at the default "normal" settings. It seems more like "draft" mode. I have had to adjust the settings to "fine" or "quality" for clear text. Even then, the text seems more grey than black.

The only way I could recommend this printer would be if there were no competing offerings. Since the competition is a click away, I cannot do this. I do like the small footprint, the intuitive setup guide, and the separate cartridges for individual color ink. I like their quick and easy method of printing photos but I'll never use it as I'll have to deal with that infernal paper tray. There is a lot to like about this printer but it's dwarfed by a myriad of annoyances, even with simple, frequent, and common tasks.

Edit 5/12/12:
Since my original review, Epson has started offering a web browser plugin for MSIE and Firefox called "E-Web Print". It's somewhat rudimentary but it allows us to clip sections of a webpage then rearrange them, highlight, or add text as we see fit. There are a few annoyances, such as the fact it the toolbar takes up an entire row of your web browser for two options (clip and print) and won't allow customizations. At least Epson is attempting to make web printing easier, which is commendable.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2012
Received printer and all previous reviews extolling the various features of the Epson Workforce 645 are reinforced by my own experience, except...if you are a Mac user be aware that the included CD does not support Mac OSX Lion (there is included paper work that says this), plus it is tricky to install right the first time--hence the 4 stars instead of 5. Despite this problem, my experience should alleviate some minor frustration if you follow these steps:

1> Follow the included printer setup paperwork to turn on the printer and install the ink but stop before installing software on your Mac. Do not use the included CD!
2> On your printer, use the Setup Menu (it has a picture of a wrench and screwdriver) to connect to your WiFi or ethernet network--Very Important!
a) In the printers Setup Menu, select Network Settings, then select Wireless LAN Setup, then finally the Setup Wizard.
b) Select your WiFi/Wireless Network (it should show your WiFi network name unless you have it hidden at your router), or your Ethernet Network.
c) Enter your WiFi network password (if needed).
d) You should now be done with the network setup. Optional, back-out to the printers main screen (use the curved back arrow button).
3> Next on your Mac computer, open the System Preferences.
4> Select the Print & Scan preference.
5> At the bottom of the left window select the + sign to add a new printer.
6> Wait until you see the Epson 645 printer appear in the new window, select it, then click add.
7> Follow the prompts to download the required software and automatically install the printer.
8> Done. Your printer is now installed and should work; however...

There is more software that comes with your printer but you must download it from Epson and I recommend you at least download the "Epson Download Navigator" program which finds all the missing software and downloads and installs the software for you; and, in my case it downloaded a firmware update which was needed for my new printer.

I cannot include the link to Epson's Mac OSX Lion download page (not allowed by Amazon) but a quick internet search should find it. Also, be advised you must jump through many questions and web pages on Epson's website to get to the download page (frustrating), and the download is excruciating slow (it doesn't matter how fast your home's internet is).

Enjoy :)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
Shopper Beware. The workforce series overall are good devices if all you are doing is printing on normal copy paper weight, ie the paper's thickness. These printers will not work with papers heaver than a 24lb wight. Paper weight is an indication of paper's thickness. Although the company touts the various sizes of paper the printer will handle it does not mention its very narrow range of paper weight. Hidden deep inside the printers manuel are the actual paper specifications.

Paper types Plain paper and paper distributed by Epson
Thickness 0.003 to 0.004 inch (0.08 to 0.11 mm)
Weight 17 lb (64 g/m2) to 24 lb (90 g/m2)
In fact the range is so narrow, that the unit has trouble printing envelopes, although the company claims it can print on #10. I have never been able to get the envelops to load properly.

Again, not a bad device if all you are doing is printing on thin paper. If you try to use a card stock 67lb weight and heaver, the printer will work for a while, but eventually the paper transport mechanism will fail rendering the device completely useless. It will turn on but display that it has an unrecoverable error and have you turn it off. This is something the company should have more prominently available to consumers not buried in the very back of the manuel.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have both the Epson WorkForce 545 and 645. For my use the only real difference is the ability of the 645 to do automatic two-sided printing. You will have to decide if the extra cost for this feature is worth it to you. Other than that I see no real difference between the two in how I use it. The rest of the review is the same as I wrote for the 545: This is an a great value for the price and Epson makes very reliable printers. I have been using Epson printers for many years and a solid product. Printing quality is good whether printing standard documents or even photos. The scanner is easy to use and produces excellent scans. I use it to scan in both documents and pictures and unless you need a larger bed size there is no need to purchase a dedicated scanner. The wireless ability eliminates the need for any cables and is very easy to set up. You can print or scan wirelessly. And if you want to make a quick copy it's as easy as putting your document on the scanner bed and pressing the copy button. These all in ones are a great value and recommended. Your biggest cost as with any printer is the ink cartridges. I have both an Epson and Canon all-in-one at home and they seem to use about the same amount of ink. I'm happy with both Epson and Canon and if choosing between one or the other would simply go by what is the less expensive at the time of purchase. Solid four stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For almost as long as I've had a PC in the house, separate hardware for color (inkjet) printing and scanning have been attached to it. And even though I have few opportunities to fax these days, at those times when I need to send or receive one, the lack of a fax machine at my desk means a delay in sending/receiving until I return to work or a trip out to our local packing/shipping/copy/fax emporium. Add to this a fundamental suspicion of "all-in-one" devices, believing that you can't really expect any of the functions to get done well when none of them ar the focus...

The Epson WorkForce 645 all-in-one device has changed my mind about the need to connect separate devices for my printing and scanning needs. It has also it has freed up counter space and a USB port as it added copying and faxing capabilities that are available even when the computer is turned off.

Plan on spending about an hour to set this device up. This includes unpacking, installing the ink cartridges, having it detect your network (if you use either the ethernet or wireless connection option instead of USB), installing the utility software, downloading a firmware update from Epson and setting up the fax.

My unit shipped with a CD containing version 1.1 of the utilities package. Although a slightly newer version was available online (a 118 MB download of version 1.3), I used the includedCD. Installation was problem-free on a new (one-month old) installation of Windows 7.

Installation of the ink cartridges required about a 5 minute initialization/self-test routine. Approximately 5 more minutes were required to establish the printer/scanner on my network (I used a wired ethernet connection from my router), followed by about 6 minutes to download and install a firmware update. Finally, the bundled OCR software (Abby FineReader 9.0 Sprint) installed in about 10 minutes. All of these set-up processes were problem-free, and required minimal user interaction.

Although I can't yet speak to its ink consumption or long-term reliability, the first impressions of its ease of use for all functions is overwhelmingly positive.

(1)Reclaimed desk/counter/shelf space. Users with separate scanner/printer installations will get some horizontal workspace back. I also freed up a USB port from the absence of my old stand-alone scanner (and you could gain two if this replaced two USB devices).

(2) "Stand alone" fax and copy and photo printing capability. If your PC is off, you can still make copies (b-w and color), fax or print images from an removable media using the integrated SD/xD/MS/CF reader or a USB device via three ports on the lower left corner of the front panel.

(3) Auto-feed and two-sided print-copy-fax options.

(4) Large paper capacity (up to 250 sheets).

(5) Fast printing.

(6) Flexible connection options: wired (USB or ethernet) and wireless (WiFi).

(7) Excellent print quality on documents, good print quality on photos.

(8) Excellent user documentation. A quick-start poster is included along with a more detailed 42-page "quick guide" booklet. In addition, the utility software installs a local web-based, highly detailed user guide. The guide links to online instructional videos (which are informative enough, but which are hosted by a guy apparently interested in seeing just how annoying he can be on camera).

(9) Remote printing ability via "Epson Connect". Epson provides an email address that you can use to send print jobs to your printer.

(10) Many functions can be accessed directly via the front panel controls and touch screen.

(1) The "scan to email" option only works with Microsoft Outlook (even if your default email is something else, like Thunderbird).

(2) The paper guides in the supply tray take some effort to slide into the different positions to accommodate different sized paper. The corresponding markings are etched in the plastic tray bottom, and difficult to read in good light...unreadable in dim light.

(3) The scanning interface software forces some options for file naming that are not choices I would make.

These are VERY minor points and are far outweighed by the lengthy list of positives for this unit, which I recommend without hesitation.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse