Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on December 1, 2011
This is by far my favorite new show of 2011 (after Game of Thrones). In fact, it is one of my favorite shows period. The first episode confused me and will probably strike most people as flat out weird, but after the initial shock, you realize with each passing episode just how unique and compelling this show is.

American Horror story follows a family of three as they move into a new home called "Murder House" by the locals. Since the 1920's, people have been murdered in various ways and their spirits have stayed behind, trapped in the very place they died. In this case, the ghosts from all eras can take physical form as well as vanish in an instant. You slowly learn about the past of each spirit, which adds another element of depth.

The writing is always clever, twisted and surprising. I wouldn't call AHS scary (at least to me), but the music and visuals make for one of the creepiest viewing experiences I've ever had.

The cast is perfect in every way. You won't find much better acting on the big or small screen. Jessica Lange deserves a nomination of some sort come next year. There are also a bunch of guest stars from other popular movies and TV shows.

A little warning about the content. This FX show is really rough for a non-premium station. They push the sex, language and violence further than I thought they would be allowed to. It doesn't bother me, but this may cause some people to tune out. Not the majority it seems because it has already been picked up for a second season and it is the most watched debut show ever on FX.

Time flies watching American Horror Story. It is the only show I can think of that ends way before you expect it to. I always hit the info button thinking I've watched half of the show tops and it reads 58 minutes. It gets me every time.

If a mix of horror, suspense and drama is your thing, you have to experience this truly bizarre and beautiful creation.
2222 comments| 433 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2012
I've waited a long time for a show like American Horror Story. I think a lot of people have because it's so different from anything else on television. I would compare it's insanity to that of Nip/Tuck, which makes sense when you realize the same creators are behind it. The first episode will probably confuse most people, but stick with it. Each episode will answer questions from the previous ones and leave you with even more than the last. The cast is beyond superb. Jessica Lange as neighbor Constance is the homerun of the series for me. She plays that role with such conviction and is very deserving of the Emmy Award she won. The rest of the cast is top-notch as well, including Connie Britton (you may know her from Friday Night Lights) who's character is put through an emotional rollercoaster throughout the entire season.

This show plays off as creepy more than scary, but it works splendidly. American Horror Story is definitely out there. Sometimes you'll just scratch your head and think, "what is going on?". Then you'll figure it out and it's well worth the confusion. They tackle some dark subject matter and this is really not a show for kids. You'll find a good bit of nudity and sexual situations for a show on cable. The language is pretty harsh as well, but the show wouldn't be as effective without it. My advice to anyone who starts watching this show, don't give up after the first episode. The second episode will clear up some questions you'll have about it and then there's no stopping there! This is one of the best shows on TV today. The originality, writing, and acting are all A++. I can't wait for season 2!
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2011
I was pretty OVER the crap on TV these days, with the limited few shows I like.. But then this came along. And I have something to look forward to on Wednesdays at 10. I haven't PLANNED to watch an episode of a TV show in AGES. It's about time!

It's also brilliantly done-- it's quirky, a little funny, definitely spooky, and make you jump at times-- Not to mention it's wicked sexy! One twist after another. Only four episodes in, and I'm HOOKED. Give me this show intravenously, I'm addicted to American Horror Story.
66 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2012
With "Nip/Tuck" Ryan Murphy created a television show that supposedly revolved around the lives of two prominent plastic surgeons. The show, however, more often seemed more like a psycho-sexual horror story than it did a medical drama. So it was only logical that, for his next show on F/X (let's not even bring "Glee" into this conversation, alright?) he would just completely abandon storytelling based on any sort of conventional reality and create a show that exists within the loose, unpredictable, and often absurd genre of horror.

The first season of "American Horror Story" involves a family of three (Psychiatrist/Father/Adulterer Ben, Wife/Mother/Woman-Scorned Vivien, and Daughter/Teenager/Depressive Violet) as they try to make a fresh start in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, they're not aware that the beautiful and suspiciously underpriced house they bought has a history of various murders, suicides, and other brutality, and is haunted by not just one ghost, but a smorgasbord of the living dead (some malevolent, some benign).

Although Ben, Vivien, and Violet are the show's supposed main characters, the most important and powerful character on the show is really the house itself. It's made clear throughout the season that the house is its own entity; drawing people to it, driving them to madness, and then containing them once they're dead. (One of the few "rules" of the show is that anyone who dies on the house's property is doomed to haunt it forever.) Over the years the house had claimed many victims, so the show each week often introduces the viewer to a new character, usually from a distant past, whose tragic fate involves haunting what the neighborhood refers to as "the Murder House." Some of the macabre characters who haunt the house include the historical Black Dahlia, a Columbine-esque teenage mass murderer, a modern gay couple, a severely deformed young man, and a housekeeper who appears as a matronly old woman when living women see her and as a naughty temptress when men see her.

Every episode of the show is completely over-the-top, filled with all kinds of outrageous plot twists meant to shock, titillate, provoke, and crack up the audience. The show doesn't rely on slow, deliberate character development, subtlety, or nuance. In terms of quality, it's a long way from "The Sopranos" or "Mad Men." What it is: a loud, freaky, kinky, fun and addictive affair. Although for such a campy show, it does include a lot of prestigious talent: Jessica Lange (who won a Golden Globe for her scenery-chewing turn), Dennis O'Hare, Francis Conroy, and Zachary Quinto all add considerable acting chops to the whole deliciously decadent show.
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
This show keeps you on the edge of your seat & leaves you wanting more! Jessica Lange is brilliant as the woman next door. There are twist and turns you never see coming! Watch it..it WILL make you look twice before entering your basement! One of the most fun to watch tv shows ever!
on August 22, 2012
Honestly i do not get scared by anything and therefore my expectations were not for something that would make me scream like a little girl, which it seems is what some people have intended to find. We are no longer children and therefore do not fear like we used to and those who expect this are foolish. This show is original and tasteful and i love everything about it. I have never seen a show like this in my life and i am honored that it would come by in my generation. I am 19 years old and would recommend this show to anyone who is in the mood for some unique eye-candy. Each actor and actress surprised me and i fell in love with them all. A story concept like this does not come around often and the fact that the setting changes every season is even better. This concept has been used by shows that are fluid with who you see on television but i have rarely seen it done with a show that has a true plot line that deepens throughout. It gives the audience a chance to envision new elements of horror from different themes. I applaud FX for green lighting the show, the directors who have done so well with Glee and Niptuck, the actors who truly immerse themselves in their roles, the set designers, makeup artists, editors, and all those many many others responsible for creating such a dramatic and eery appearing show that has won my heart.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2012
I won't go into detail about each episode with this series, because others have done a great job doing that. I just want to give my general thoughts on this series. My feelings about this show can be summed up in two words......Jessica Lange!!! She portrays a southern matriarch with a dark twist. Her ability to switch from sugar-sweet to a blood letting B*%#H is worth the purchase of this alone. I would liken her performance in this series to that of Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. In both of these you have a very strong southern woman who is not afraid to take charge of the situation. The writers of this series should also be praised for constructing a story that hooks the viewer from the beginning, and then leads us down many dark hallways to understand just how haunted this house truly is. The thing I really liked about the Horror Story is that it is self-contained. I don't want to give anything away, but I was quite surprised at the ending. I am on the edge of my seat as I wait for the beginning of Season Two of this fantastic series. In the meantime, I will enjoy going back and watching Jessica deliver lines that make me want to whip up a Mint Julep and enjoy it in my swing on the verandah, while perhaps taking a crack shot at the neighbor's annoying dog (insert dark laughter here). If you're looking for a show that has a great storyline, fantastic acting, and darkly twisted, The American Horror Story is the show for you!!
on November 3, 2011
I'm so glad that we are finally seeing Tate's backstory. I don't want to say anymore in case I ruin it for anyone. Anyway, the show just keeps getting better with each episode, and they are renewing the show for a second season!

I tend to shy away from the horror genre because I scare easily, but this show is worth it. Just the right mix of drama, humor, and creepiness to keep me hooked.
on September 27, 2012
American Horror Story defines a whole new "era" of TV. I am an avid horror fan and I enjoy everything from the serial killer, the monsters, the zombies, the suspenseful family-member related stuff, the blood, guts and gore, the Sci-Fi horrors, the ghosts....everything. This somehow manages to combine everything into one for the most captivating series that you just can't look away from. There were parts where I wanted to cover my eyes. There were parts where I wanted to cry. There were parts where I felt like I was part of the show and something would affect me directly. It has ties to real life things that go on, affairs, abortions, births, deaths, school violence, bullying, secrets, spousal issues...and makes them a million times more interesting. The actors were fantastic. Every main character in the show was Emmy-Worthy. The most exciting part of my whole week was waiting for Wednesday night at 10 to turn on FX to watch this show. The twists and turns and unexpected events that happen are just impeccably written and well thought out. It leaves you on the edge of your seat begging for more. Truly a 5 Star, A Plus show and I am so excited to watch it all again when I buy the First Season.
Sometimes when movies or shows produce a second season or a sequel, it falls flat and lacks the captivation that the first had. I know that this one will not have that problem and I can't wait until October 17th to watch.
on April 2, 2012
American Horror Story is the show that makes your mind keep turning even after the episode is over. It keeps you hooked and compels you to keep watching. It has all the elements you would look for in a good horror story and even beats most horror movies I've seen these days. I love the tone of the show, the Gothic realistic feel of it. The characters are very well rounded out, the parents facing the issues of cheating and loss, as well as their daughter facing her teenage angst. I frankly can't wait for a second season despite the change of characters and location, i am still really amazed at how well the first season was. The show kept you wondering and guessing all the way to the end. i won't lie, there were a few things i thought they could have wrapped up better, or even wrapped up at all, that they didn't but that didn't detract from the overall show. I will be watching season 2!