ABBA You Can Dance
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$49.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 19, 2011
My wife is a great fan of the Just Dance Series and she just loves the ABBA musical Mamma Mia!. Whenever she is feeling under the weather, she pops the movie in and after a short while she is singing along. So, picking this as a present for her was an easy choice for me. And it sure got me brownie points...

GIMME! GIMME! GIMME - A MODE AFTER MIDNIGHT!
There is a number of modes, I am sure you will find the one for you. There is, of course the classic Dance Mode, where you get to follow the dancing figures on the screen, trying to match their moves holding the Wiimote in one hand (only one is required - corresponding to the gloved hand of the dancer). There is also a Story Mode, where you get to participate in a mini-musical with ABBA, enhanced with their original music videos, snippets from their tours and numerous pictures. And then there is the Karaoke!

I AM A MARIONETTE!
What is the use of having an ABBA dancing exergame if one cannot sing along, right? Well, this game got you (almost) covered. In the Karaoke Mode the lyrics appear under the dancing figures and they get highlighted with the rhythm in order for your to sing along. It is a very fun mode, one clearly missing form the other JUST DANCE games - if it was not for the issue of the missing microphone.

MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!
For the karaoke to function properly you will clearly need a microphone (such as the Logitech Wii Vantage USB Microphone, the Logitech Microphones for the Wii or even the Nintendo GameCube & Wii Microphone) - as, unfortunately, NONE is included. We had to order one separately. Of course, until it too arrived, my wife was far from discouraged from simply singing along anyway!
This is where the game looses the perfect score, though: the karaoke mode is a major selling point so UBISOFT deciding not to include the required microphone (which is essential in fully enjoying the game) was a bad (and cheap, I might add!) marketing decision.

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME!
Once you solve the missing microphone issue, you will be having tons of fun with this game. I always liked their sound yet I was never a huge fan of the ABBA. Nevertheless, I caught myself not a small number of times singing along their happy tunes as well. What can I say, their pop 70's mentality is obviously infectious!

RECOMMENDED!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 22, 2011
So we get four friends together along with this new Abba Dance game, four "mature" women who would certainly be Broadway stars if only we had the time and lived in New York and didn't have other jobs or families. (And if we could sing!) This game has some challenging moves, but after a few sips of wine it's time to discover our hidden talents so we pick up our Wiimotes and throw ourselves into the rhythms of "Dancing Queen" and try not to throw ourselves into the coffee table. At first we're barely moving in the same direction with the dancers onscreen and we're jabbing each other with errant elbows or outstretched arms a beat too late. But we're determined! After several times practicing this song (and a few more sips of Chardonnay) we're into it. We're not only moving along with the dancers on the screen, but we're all moving together, in the same direction. Not hitting each other. We're good. Darn good!

At the next gathering of friends and family, we bide our time before making our debut. Everyone has finally arrived. Food and drinks flow and everyone is having fun catching up on each other's lives. Our eyes meet over the crowd. It's time. We turn on the Wii, take our places in front of the big screen, all four of us. The music begins. "You can dance, you can dance! Having the time of your life..." The room becomes quiet except for the music blaring from the Abba Dance game over the TV's speakers. In almost perfect (well, somewhat coordinated) moves we begin our dance routine, following the dancers on the screen, our singing a little shy at first but gathering steam as everyone watches, mouths open, amazed when they suddenly realize that we can dance! We're amazing! Everyone (who isn't rolling their eyes) joins in the singing with the lyrics on the screen. We are stars, at least in our own family room! We collapse at the end, laughing our heads off. Other guests pick up the Wiimotes to try. While we probably won't quit our day jobs just yet, we vow to get together again in the following weeks to practice some other songs in the game in time for the next party. Since there are 26 of them, we should be kept busy (and exercising) for a long time.

There's a reason these dance games are so popular and I think it's because it's a great way to get some great exercise in a fun way. And anyone can learn the dance moves and routines if you do them often enough. When you're dancing alone, striving for high scores makes it easy to keep the motivation going so it's a form of exercise you look forward to, rather than putting it off. (And you can sing as loud as you want!) Two thumbs up for this fun game!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2012
I am 27, I own 4 other wii dance games by Ubisoft, and I love all of them. I also love ABBA. This ABBA game is leaving me a bit disappointed. The moves are just way too easy for me. In most of the songs you just stand in one place and wave your arms around. The dance moves for each song are quite repetitive as well. Once you are 30 seconds into the song, you've already seen all the moves you will be doing. I like my dancing games to have some footwork as well as arm work, instead of just standing in place.

After playing this game for an afternoon, I must conclude that the target audience for this game is older adults, and that is why they made the dance moves so simple. They probably figured that most ABBA fans are probably older. (Not the case for me and my friends, but whatever.)

So, if you are perhaps a middle-aged person that wants to get some exercise, and you love ABBA, this game would be perfect for you because you don't have to be a great dancer, and the moves aren't very fast. I got 5 stars on every song on the first try, so I think the wiimote is good at picking up your movements, too. The scoring is much more lenient than Just Dance or the Michael Jackson Experience. Even if you don't get the move completely right, it will still give you a perfect score.

One other issue I have is that on the four person songs, there are no pictograms to show you what to do, so it makes those ones a little confusing at first. I'm not sure why they don't have them, I guess it wouldn't fit on the screen or something?

So just to recap: this game is probably great for beginners, older adults, and maybe younger kids too. More experienced dancers will probably be bored, even if you do love the songs.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2012
I wasn't certain about buying this game, as the reviews were so-so. But, I'm older, and not in the best condition. After an unhappy visit with the doctor I decided to change my slothful ways & give it a go. ABBA is like The Carpenters...even if you don't like them that much it's amazing how many of their songs you actually know. It's perfect for me. Easy moves, still got my heart rate up, following the model is an interesting exercise in hand/eye coordination. I imagine you get better as you learn the moves. I like that I didn't have to go out into the cold to do it, nobody else was here to see what I look like when I dance except for the cat who took refuge under the chair. She probably thought I was having a seizure or something. I enjoyed it. I can't really do the yoga bits on Wii fit & I find the cardio stuff kind of boring. So, this is something to put into the mix. If you're looking for a way to ease into exercise you'll do OK with this one.
on November 17, 2011
It's similar to a "Just Dance" except with all ABBA dancers & songs. In the Dance mode, there are pictograms, lyrics, gold moves, "x, ok, good, perfect" grading throughout the dance moves. There's also a stars gauge that indicates your overall performance over the course of a song.

Also has a mini-musical game mode where you dance, sing, & follow a story being communicated through music & dance moves. You choose your choreography & be part of a musical. Haven't done this yet.

I didn't expect a Karaoke option. This will be cool to try. I'll need to buy a Hudson Wireless or Logitech USB microphone to play this part. (Of course, I'm already singing along to all these songs from my childhood).

This game is better than I expected! If you like the old ABBA songs & like to dance along, you'll love this game. Voulez-Vous & Dancing Queen are my favorites but I recognize & like all the songs.
on November 16, 2011
I've played all the Just Dance games, and this is my favorite one yet! It's challenging and has tons of great ABBA songs. The dance moves are realistic, as well. It has a karaoke section as well which I've yet to try, but it sounds fun.
on January 14, 2012
I bought this game because I really enjoy Just Dance and the Michael Jackson experience. I know a lot of ABBA songs, so i thought why not try this one too. Unfortunately ABBA never did dance very well. Have you ever seen their old performances? That's what you're getting with this game - a lot of arms waving and standing in one place. If you LOVE Abba you might like this because there's a karaoke sing along component, but I wanted a little more action. This is just a yawn.
on March 10, 2012
I have some Just Dance games as well as Karoake Revolution and enjoy them all. I am a HUGE ABBA fan, so when I saw this game I purchased without hesitation or a second thought. I received the game today and was playing within 10 min. All that being said; I was disappointed.

I was hoping this was going to be a combination of the Just Dance and Karoake games only using ABBA songs. It kinda is, but falls short.

JUST DANCE
It has a great variety of popular ABBA songs that you can dance to. But that is it. You can not do any of the other options on the Just Dance games (my fav is the Just Sweat option- not on here). You pick a song, select which person you want to be, and dance. For some reason, on multiple player songs the prompts for the next dance moves do not always appear. I know this doesn't happen on my other games. Also, as others have mentioned, the scoring for the movements isn't nearly as accurate as other Just Dance games. Some moves I missed and it said perfect; other moves I know I did perfectly (as they are in other games and I register perfect for those) and it showed me a red X that I didn't even do them.

Dance Song choices: Angeleyes, As Good as New, Dancing Queen (prom night), Dancing Queen (dance floor), Fernando, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Head Over Heels, I'm a Marionette, If It Wasn't For The Nights, Knowing Me Knowing You, Lay All Your Love On Me, Mamma Mia, Money Money Money, SOS, Summer Night City, Super Trouper, Take A Chance on Me, The Winner Takes It All, Voulez-Vous, Waterloo, When I Kissed the Teacher.

Dance Songs/Mini-Musical Songs: Hole In Your Soul, I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do, Does Your Mother Know, Honey Honey, Bang-A-Boomerang, People Need Love

MINI-MUSICAL
There is a mini-musical option where you pick a person and dance and/or sing along as a character in a musical (NOT the Mamma Mia musical). This is basically the same as the dance portion but with a different background and pre picked songs.

KAROAKE
This is NOT like the Karoake games and is NOT a game as far as scoring, head to head challenges, etc. This is basic Karoake like at a bar. A music video plays with the words scrolling across the screen and you can sing along. There is no scoring and no bar to show you how well (or poorly as is my case) you are doing. Since it is basic karoake to a video, you can not adjust the volume for the singers in the video. You can max your output mic volume, but even at 100, I couldn't really hear my voice with the video (but this may be a good thing). As also mentioned in other reviews- this game does NOT come with the microphone. However, for those who have purchase Karoake games, there is usually an option to buy the game with or without microphone so you are not paying extra for something you do not need as you own one from other games. Since this game is marketed mainly as a Dance game, I can see why the microphone is not included. Plus, since there is no scoring or evaluation of your vocals, do you really need the microphone? Singing along out loud w/no microphone would have the same effect.

Karoake Songs (videos): Dancing Queen, Does Your Mother Know, Fernando, Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight), Head Over Heels, Knowing Me Knowing You, Mamma Mia, Money Money Money, SOS, Summer Night City, Super Trouper, Take a Chance on Me, The Winner Takes it All, Voulez-Vous, Waterloo

OVERALL
Overall, since I am an ABBA fan, I like the game. Its fun to dance and sing along to ABBA songs and watch a bunch of actual ABBA videos; plus it was under $30. Evaluated as a Just Dance game- subpar. Unable to evaluate as a Karoake game because that part is not a game. I wish this would have been what I thought it was- an actual full out Just Dance game only to all ABBA songs. Would have been MUCH MUCH better. I'm guessing this was a quick and easy way for the company to make money as people like me will buy it because ABBA is slapped on it.

So, if you are a big ABBA fan and want it just to have, I'd buy it. If you are looking for an actual Just Dance game- don't. You'll be better off buying one of the others.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was eager to play ABBA Dance for the Wii. Love, love LOVE ABBA, but found this game disappointing. Perhaps my expectations were too high? I don't think so, but I'm willing to say 'maybe'. Each player will have their issues with different games. These are mine with this one.

Did I want more songs? Yes. There is a limited offering on this Wii game. Far less than the usual 'Dance' themed Wii games like: Just Dance 3 and Just Dance. I paid almost forty dollars, and really should have considered the offerings more closely before purchasing. I probably would have still purchased the game, but at a lower price point.

Did I hope for better graphics? Yes. The game that comes to mind is Wii The Beatles: Rock Band - Software Only in which the graphics resemble the boys in the band. I love that! I was hoping for that with this one, where you'd actually see characterizations of the members of ABBA, but instead you see faceless dancers.

Like most 'Dance' games you choose your character and follow along. This one has the words of the songs played below the dancers so you can sing along if you don't already know the words. Some of the songs are rather slow, making dancing along easier, but scoring gets a bit tougher.

Overall, the feel of the game is less 'ABBA' and less Wii Dance, and more like a quickly thrown together production to pull-in ABBA lovers. It worked - I bought it, but if given the chance again, knowing what I know, I'd pass until it went to half-off or more.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2011
I bought it for my best friend and I think I'm enjoying it even more than she is. Great songs. The layout is really great. Voulez-vous is the most fun here.