OXO Good Grips Ratcheting Pineapple Slicer
Color: WhiteChange
Price:$9.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a gadget guy. Alton Brown may not be fond of unitaskers, but I am. The right tool for the right job is my motto. Our family loves fresh pineapple and I'm always the one assigned to carving them up. I've perfected my technique over the years. I wouldn't have sought out the Oxo Good Grips Ratcheting Pineapple Slicer. But, when I was offered one to try, I decided it was worth a try.

I decided to record my experience with it. With a device like this you want to know if it's easy to use (easier than using a knife) and if it actually works. The answer to both is an unqualified "Yes!". On the video you'll see me using it with no rehearsals and having only glanced over the instructions. (full disclosure-I edited about 30 second out of the video- it took a total of just less than 3 minutes). I think I made it look a little harder than it is. The next time through I'd do it a little differently. For example, I realized I was pushing down while turning the device. That isn't necessary because it has a corkscrew design that will pull it through the pineapple if you just twist the handle.

I ended up with a nice need cored pineapple spiral. There was very little waste. I think no more than if I had peeled, quartered and cored the pineapple the normal way. As a bonus, you end up with a nice pineapple "hull" that you could serve drinks in, if you had small pineapples. Or you could serve a salad in at a party.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I feel embarrassed to be giving this slicer such a poor review...so many others seem to like it. But compared to the Vacu Vin stainless steel slicer I had been using, this OXO slicer is a big disappointment. OXO has a great reputation, and I have a lot of their kitchen tools that I can't live without, but I don't think I'll use this slicer again.

Here's what I found:
1) Most notably, the slicer seemed to mangle the pineapple. When I finished "slicing", I was left with a big mess...nothing like the clean cut spiral shown on OXO's packaging. Part of the problem, I think, is that the slices are too thin. Perhaps this is because the slicing disc is made of plastic. Perhaps it was operator error (maybe I should have pushed harder?). Whatever the reason, I did not have this problem with the Vacu Vin slicer. With the Vacu Vin, the slices were thick and cleanly cut (and the slicer included a wedger to quickly turn the slices into chunks).

2) The "ratcheting" feature of this slicer seemed to be more of a gimmick than a convenience. Purportedly, the reason for the ratcheting handle is so that the user doesn't need to let go of the slicer between turns. However, if the slicer did a better job of cutting into the pineapple in the first place, then letting go of the slicer wouldn't be an issue: after a half turn, the slicer SHOULD be embedded firmly enough to let go...at least that was my experience with the Vacu Vin slicer.

The Vacu Vin is a bit more expensive than the OXO (nearly double the cost at the time of this review), but it is worth every penny. After getting the Vacu Vin, I immediately ordered a second one as a gift. I would NOT want to give this OXO pineapple slicer to anyone. Overall, I still trust the OXO brand, but do not recommend this slicer.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 20, 2012
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
(READ FIRST BEFORE WATCHING THE VIDEO. You'll be disappointed because the video quality is terrible in all aspects of production.)

This is not a well-made video. I'm too shy to be on camera. I didn't practice or rehearse because this was the first time I used it. Also, the audio is virtually inaudible. I barely read the direction which lead to lots of dead time, so I edited out two sections that shortened the video by a little over a minute. But, I've decided to upload it to show some problems I ran into - please forgive my awkwardness.

After you figure out how to use it, this thing can spiralize (???) a pineapple in about a minute. two minutes if you're a novice. If your knife skills are excellent, you don't need this. However, I'm not good with knives, and the difficult task of cutting up pineapples prevents me from eating fresh, delicious pineapples. But no more struggling, thanks to this one-note tool. Some tips:

- Push down firmly while you're coring and ratcheting while holding the pineapple firmly so you get a nice thick spiral, instead of the one that fell apart at one end of my pineapple.
- (This is where the video is helpful.) From 2:09, you'll notice that pineapple fibers have collected on the corer where the slicing happens. That clogged the mechanism. I couldn't push down the pineapple anymore, and that made the slicing section spin around, almost like a stripped screw. So, I ended up with one end of the pineapple with very thin spiral which fell apart, unlike the other end. To show where the pineapple fiber collects was the reason why I uploaded this video.
- If it gets clogged, take out whatever pineapple you have cored, remove the collected fiber, then start coring again so you can push it down.

I was annoyed by the clog, but that could be because I didn't know how to use it efficiently, combined with a very ripe pineapple which was softer. If you often eat pineapples or are clumsy with the knife, this corer makes cutting, slicing and chopping pineapples much easier. But it does take up some space, so if you rarely eat pineapples or are very skilled with the knife, this is unnecessary like many kitchen gadgets. Still, it does cut down on the time spent on the task, which is what it's supposed to do. I can do it much better and quicker now. This video is pretty much the worst-case scenario.
on August 30, 2012
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In my husband's words, this is a crazy easy pineapple slicer. All you have to do is slice the top and bottom off the pineapple and set the slicer on top, gently push down and turn the handle until you reach the bottom of the pineapple. You will end up with a long spiral of pineapple that can be cut into individual slices. If your pineapple is big, some of the fruit will be left on the sides. I just slice it out when this happens. This tool is easy to clean and reassemble. My family and I will be eating a lot more fresh pineapple from now on.
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
PROS
Makes quick work of preparing a pineapple
Easy to use, but reading instructions will make it more effective

CONS
will not make pineapple rings - it makes a spiral
thickness of spiral cuts not adjustable
pineapples wider than it was designed for will have wasted meat
being plastic, I don't expect it to last a long time

NEUTRAL
The measuring device is effective but you have to read instructions to use it

I assumed that this device would leave behind a lot of wasted pineapple compared to the time-consuming traditional knife-peeling methods. In fact, it left less waste than I expected. Further, you are left with a shell in good condition - could be cut in half and used to serve a curry or stir-fry. I actually reassembled the hollow pineapple and left it at my friend's house for a joke when they discover it later - it looks like an unused pineapple!

This device works best with properly ripened pineapples. If you don't know, a pineapple is best just as it starts to get fragrant - not before that, and not after it has been fragrant for awhile. Pineapples should be gold in color. Green is under-ripe (you can let it sit in your kitchen for a week or two to ripen it). When the gold is fading to brown in some spots, it is over-ripe, but not necessarily too ripe to eat, just not at its best. If the pineapple is brown all over, it's passed.

I used the device without reading instructions and had decent results, but after doing that and wondering about the measuring guide, I read up on it. Use it properly to maximize the yield and avoid cutting through the bottom. If it does cut through the bottom, you'll need to trim off the end, but that's easy.

The ratchet mechanism is good, but I could see having a crank instead.

BOTTOM LINE
Better than expected. Less waste than expected. Even easier than expected. Four stars means "I like it". It's not perfect, but is probably as good a device for using pineapples as we'll get. It sure beats doing it with a knife, which takes a long time.
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I adore fresh pineapple and am always looking for an easier way to cut it. While it isn't hard to cut once you start, something about the task is always a little daunting enough to make me put it off a bit.

That's why the OXO Good Grips Ratcheting Pineapple Slicer caught my eye. Having enjoyed good experiences with plenty of Oxo products in the past, I expected a lot from this pineapple slicer.

The card that the slicer is attached to has instructions for use on the back. When I read them and tried to use it, I didn't think I was understanding the instructions correctly, so I stopped and looked up this tool on the Oxo website. I was unable to find it by browsing through the fruit and vegetable tools category, but was able to find it quickly when I used the site's search tool. Lucky for me, Oxo was thoughtful enough to put a video of how to use the Ratcheting Pineapple Slicer in addition to putting the written instructions online as well. A quick view of the video told me that I had indeed understood the instructions correctly - I just didn't like how it worked.

You see, the slicer has these blades at the bottom that perform the slicing. What I found was that twisting and pushing iitt into the pineapple mashed up the fruit quite a bit more than I was happy with, leaving me with a lot of juice and some mushy pineapple. I've posted a photo on this product page of my results.

Perhaps with practice one could achieve better results from this slicer, but I honestly don't think I'll use it again. I just can't justify mashing up `practice pineapples' when this slicer really isn't much easier or faster than slicing it with a knife.

As much as I like Oxo products, I really can't recommend this pineapple slicer. For me, it is a waste of drawer space in the kitchen.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2012
I bought 6 pineapples with the intention of pulling out the meat and using what was left for cocktail containers. This tool was perfect for the job. Do follow the directions (hold the pineapple firmly while ratcheting the handle) and you will get a spiral of pineapple and a lovely container to hold your tropical drinks. You can leave the leftover core in the middle or cut it about 2/3 a way down to allow more room for your cocktail. The measurement markings were perfect and kept me from putting a hole in the bottom of my container. Loved this tool (and the price!). On a side note, depending on your pineapple you may be dealing with a lot of juice so do be prepared for a bit of a mess. This has nothing to do with the tool but is a side effect of a yummy, juicy pineapple.
on December 14, 2012
My family eats A LOT of fresh pineapple. It seemed only logical that this would be the perfect gadget for coring and slicing. WRONG!! It was a pain to use and shredded two perfect pineapples in my effort to give the thing a chance to work its magic. I typically prepare a pineapple using a butcher's knife and it takes me less than 2 minutes from start to finish with minimal waste and cleanup. This gadget took about the same amount of time, but left the pineapple looking so mangled that no one in my household wanted to eat it.
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pineapple is like crab legs: if it wasn't so hard to get the good bits out of the shell, I'd eat a lot more of both. But over the years, OXO has had a knack for coming up with kitchen gadgets and utensils that, yes we must admit, even though they have limited utility, they do the one thing they were designed for very well. I was pretty sure that this pineapple corer would at least do what it promised, but as it turns out, it works okay with minor inadequacies. For example, the ratchet idea is good, but I still found myself twisting and releasing and twisting and releasing. It's easy to get the corer started, and it's easy enough to center and turn. What's not so easy is pressing down to get a consistent slice. If this device had a little more "pull", it would probably work perfectly, but in a just ripe pineapple, the fruit is too soft to provide the resistance to drive the cutter down, so the user has to provide this with sheer arm strength. That reduces the utility of the ratchet feature. When all was said and done, however, I had a perfectly cored, spiral (somewhat unevenly) sliced pineapple, so, yes, it worked. The core and handle snap apart for easy cleaning, so that was a plus, too. One crucial tip: Use this on top of some kind of shallow plate or tray, as you are going to have a lot of pineapple juice squeezed out during the coring process (and the juice is delicious, so don't let it get away). If you regularly eat fresh pineapple, I think this may be one of the best corers available. At least, I'll be eating more pineapple, now that I've got one. Still looking for that crab-leg meat removal gadget though...
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Fresh pineapples are pretty easy to core if you own and feel comfortable working with a large sharp knife. But if someone in your life does not, or is less than careful about getting juice all over counter tops and cabinets, this is the tool for her (or him).

This is a considerate gift for a friend with arthritis to a careful twelve year old coming home from school to grab a pre-cut pineapple base from the refrig to make a healthy afterschool snack. Did I mention that it contains the pineapple mess pretty well too!

Cut off the pineapple top leaving the remaining pineapple base the same height as the tool handle. Center the tool over the core and twist the ratcheting handle. Once cored, press the button to release the tool handle and slide the perfectly sliced pineapple center onto a dish to enjoy. OXO's Good Grips handle is easy to grasp--the ratcheting ingenious--and the tool that simple to use.

And, if you slice the pineapple shell and spines off a medium size pineapple and then core it using the tool, you'll both have nice pineapple ring slices to eat and the hard fibrous shell to cook with. Just simmer with rice, strain through extra fine cheesecloth for rum drinks or as the liquid for rice pudding with milk. If you simmer without rice, the liquid becomes good marinade base for pork, chicken, fish or shrimp. Or rub the inside of that pineapple shell with brown sugar and lay it over a ham you are baking to keep it moist and flavored. And all with --no waste. What a nice simple tool for remembering to include variety in your life.

I think I'll core another little pineapple and roast a little pork.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations