Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 12, 2008
I'll be honest. I am a 27 year old male who has not read a book since I was forced to in high school. I am a fan of Glenn Beck and when he tells stories on his radio show I find myself glued to my seat until he is finished telling it. When I found out he wrote a book, something inside me just had to read it. This book reads just like Glenn is sitting there telling me the story himself. It was impossible to put down. I thought I'd have it finished within a month or two. I finished it in 2 evenings. I hate to admit it, but by the end, I was crying like a baby. Eddie is a character that everyone can relate to. Please, do yourself a favor and read it. When you're finished, give it to someone else to read. It's just that good. Glenn, thank you so much for this story. I will treasure it forever.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2008
The Christmas Sweater is a story that will ring home with everyone who reads it. I finished the book in two-sittings. Mr. Beck tells his story with vivid imagery that flows so smoothly that you are almost watching it unfold. All of the characters are familiar, along with what they are experiencing. It is a fairly simple story and can be somewhat predictable, but rings true with every word. The climax will leave an unforgettable impression that will truly inspire you to spread the gift that this book offers. I believe this book will appeal to people from all walks of life and the message will leave some, if not most, in tears.
on November 11, 2008
I received my pre-ordered book last Friday, and finished it in less than 12 hours. At first I was disappointed that the message wasn't stronger, that the end didn't just hit me like Glenn predicted.

But as I went on afterwards and thought about it, the more it hit me. The power of this message is in redemption, it's in knowing how to handle the storms in your life and knowing who you can always count on. I now look at people in a different light, from my family to our friends to my kid's friends, trying to figure out what part of their personal storm they're in. I also look at myself, trying to decide to be a Russell or Glenn's grandpa, and actively help people along to get through their storm. It's a personal challenge to me to do even more than what I have in the past to be the person that God has wanted me to be. It's definitely worth the time to read.
0Comment|262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2008
Yesterday I received an advanced order copy of Glenn Beck's book. Last night instead of watching mindless TV programs I began reading it. I have only read two other books cover to cover in one sitting, Living at the Summit by Dr. Tom Hill and The Little Gold Book of YES!Attitude by Jeffrey Gitomer but last night I read The Christmas Sweater cover to cover. Glenn Beck is well known for his political commentary and should anyone decide NOT to read his book because of his beliefs, it will be their loss. This is an amazing novel, not a political commentary, about a 12 year old boy who experiences rough times growing up and how he responds or better, reacts. It is a book about growing up, about believing in yourself, about having faith, and about change. The book brought back memories of people, places, things and events in my own life as a youngster that I had completely forgotten about. The book is based in part about Glenn's life as he explains at the end. It is a very compelling read that I not only recommend everyone reading but the book would make a fantastic Christmas gift especially if you get the collector's hard cover edition. Gymbeaux
22 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Christmas Sweater
By Glenn Beck

Generally when the name Glenn Beck comes up in a conversation you get one of three responses, those responses are: "Oh, I love him!", "That stupid @#$%$#@*$#!" or simply a heart felt, "er...who?". Mr. Beck is one of the nations leading syndicated radio commentators and is best known outside radio for his best selling, "An Inconvenient Book", and his TV & stage shows.

This work is a departure from his normal hard hitting conservative commentary. Not quite what I would call a coming of age story but more a commentary on how our adult values are formed during our childhood and how those adults around a child have a profound influence on them weather they know it or not. Weather you are a conservative, liberal, right or left, this book transcends political boundaries and looks deep within the readers psyche and plucks out a long buried memory and , in my case, a smile. I normally do not do reviews on fiction because I'd hate to spoil the ending for someone but in this case I'll make an exception. Highly recommended uplifting story that makes you feel good. I found that despite the books length, around 280 pages, I blew thru it rather quickly, I just could not put it down. You will find someone that you know hidden in these pages, and be uplifted for it, I can almost guarantee it. I know that a book that raises your spirits isn't what most critics are looking for these days, so consider it a nostalgic retro feeling. I think this shows that Mr Glenn has a soft side, other than that cake thing. Thanks for helping me find some old memories Mr. Beck, keep up the good work.

In Frith,
Spence The Elder
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
M. Addams
on November 11, 2008
I have been having it rough here lately, and this book has reminded me that life is about what we want and how we go about getting it. Glenn Beck has nailed it with this story and the hope it can give you, One of only a few books i read from start to finish in one night. Thank you Glenn for bringing this story to the world in a time when it was really needed.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2008
I couldn't wait to read this book and loved the story. The most important point for me was that you
when you forgive yourself it makes it possible to forgive others. And to not be afraid of facing your fears
and moving forward. Staying stuck in the past is an easy trap many fall into, but it makes it impossible
to be optimistic about the future. I loved Glenn's point about it being meant for each person to be happy
if only they don't stand in the way of that and continue to work at it.
I also enjoyed reading parts I remember Glenn mentioning on his show, like when the elderly woman
with food stamps was in his Dad's bakery. I can imagine the effort it must have taken to write a
story so close to Glenn's heart.
on November 11, 2008
This book really lets you know what is important in life. A nice book to snuggle up with and remember the good and bad things in your own childhood.
on November 11, 2008
This book was a very easy read. One you can't put down until the story finishes. But the story doesn't end. The story is about life at it's worst and at it's best looking through the eyes of a child.

It's a wounderful Christmas classic in a "Christmas Story, It's A Wounerful Life, Wizard Of Oz", sort of way.
VINE VOICEon November 11, 2008
The author tells this story in a straightforward manner, using the first person. Edward, the protagonist, is 12 years old, and he speaks as an adult looking back at his childhood. The first 100 pages are only mildly interesting. Then a crisis occurs, and Edward's life goes off the tracks. His crisis is both emotional and spiritual. His questions, then abandons his belief in God, his family, and himself. He becomes lost amid his life's journey, and faces the dark night of the soul.

This is a short, simply told story that can be read in a few hours. After the slow start, I became engrossed, and read the story eagerly. It is a highly personal testimony that is meant to be shared. It is uplifting, but you need to bring to it a willing spirit. The writing is not particularly poetic or evocative of the great books. This will not take a place in the pantheon of great modern literature. Nevertheless I am glad that I read it, and I recommend it to you without reservation.