Who is Hana? In Lauren Oliver's "Delirium," she's the best friend of the protagonist Lena, in a dystopian world where love is "cured."

And while the short story "Hana" is not quite as gripping as "Delirium," it is a riveting little look inside the mind of a teenage girl who embraces amor deliria nervosa... and discovers that pain and heartbreak can come from love as well. And it fleshes out the character of Hana considerably, letting us see why she does what she does.

Hana is a wild girl. She's scheduled for the procedure in the fall, and has been matched to the mayor's handsome son, but she has a secret life her parents haven't even dreamed of. She's madly in love with a boy from her school, and she loves to sneak away and immerse herself in wild underground parties filled with dancing, music and passion.

But soon Hana's wild hidden world starts to fall apart. Her life becomes consumed with fear of being caught and forced through the procedure, and she discovers that the boy she's been crushing on doesn't share her feelings. And when she finally goes to see her old friend Lena, she makes a devastating discovery that will change everything.

It's not strictly necessary to read "Delirium" before reading "Hana" -- you get a pretty good idea of how this world works right from the beginning. However, it's probably best to read Lauren Oliver's full-length books along with this, because it ends on a major cliffhanger that promises to disrupt everything in Hana and Lena's lives.

And the story really fleshes out Hana, who merely seemed like a rebellious rich kid who's scared to really risk it all in "Delirium." Here we see that she was truly beginning to rebel against the strictures of her society, only to have heartbreak and jealousy smash her back.

Lauren Oliver's writing is sumptuous and infused with emotion, giving great significance to the importance of real love ("They speak in a language of whispers and giggles and secrets; their words are like a fairy-tale tangle of thorns, which place a wall between us"). And she gives a real feeling of fearful tension to Hana's secret life.

"Hana" is a bittersweet little story that really enhances the story of "Delirium." Give this short story a quick look before reading "Pandemonium."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2012
I think Hana's voice is too much like Lena's voice. This short story covers a time period that has already been covered by Lena in Delirium, the first novel in the trilogy. It was sort of interesting to get Hana's perspective, but not much happens. It's definitely not crucial to your understanding of the trilogy, so if you don't have a Kindle and are bummed out that you can't read it, you really aren't missing anything important.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book is by my current favorite YA author, Lauren Oliver. Her book Before I fall and her Delirium series (particularly the recently released Pandemonium) rank among my favorite books of all time. I think because of this, I have the highest expectations of her work.

This installment is in the Delirium-verse and is in the viewpoint of one of Delirium's most interesting characters, Hana. We get to see the story of Delirium from her eyes and her experiences when she is not in Lena's company.

Lauren Oliver's prose is still beautiful. She has a way with words that makes me catch my breath after each paragraph. However, this story left me very disappointed. I think it is because to me, this is not the story that I was most interested in hearing. I did not really care to hear about Hana's perspective of the events in Delirium-- there were no surprises... Lena has pretty much deduced most of these events. There is a surprise ending and while it was a shocker, it just raised more questions.

How did Hana get to this place? We aren't guided there, there is just two pages of reflection at the end that don't lead up to this event. And what I'm interested in, is what takes place after this twist. How does this change Hana? Does she ever get the operation? What is her life like after Lena leaves? That's the story I wanted.

That said, I am incredibly excited to see the final installment of this trilogy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2012
Mild Delirium spoiler ahead...if you haven't read it.

You guys know how much I love Delirium and Pandemonium, right? They are some of my favorite books. So when I found myself with a little extra time between books I instantly started Hana. I really liked Hana in Delirium. She was such a great contrast to rule following Lena in the beginning. Hana was easier to relate to. She asked the questions that needed to be asked and she was basically a normal teenager in this world without love. I was very interested to find out more about her.

Hana takes place during Delirium. At first I was a tiny bit disappointed by that. I wanted to see what happened after Lena escaped, but I got over that because I quickly saw that we were going to find out some things that Lena never knew about...that we never knew about. This is a behind the scenes look.

I learned that Hana was not quite the person I thought she was. There was a lot more going on with her than I ever thought. I wasn't expecting a surprise ending...but it's Lauren Oliver and I should have known better. She always, always surprises me and finds new ways to break my heart. The ending was completely unexpected for me. Usually I suspect or guess things before they happen but I had no clue until I read those words. My jaw hit the floor.

If you're curious about what I'm talking about, read it. It's very short. You can definitely get it done in one sitting and it's written in the same beautiful prose that we have all come to expect from Lauren. It was fascinating to see things outside of Lena's point of view.
on May 11, 2012
It was short, it didn't give us much insight about Hana as a character, and it never gave us the information we really wanted about her, for example did she go through with the procedure?
Beautifully written, however.
on February 17, 2015
Originally posted at www.readbetweenthebooks91.blogspot.com

2.6/5 stars!

This one fell so flat for me. I absolutely loved Hana in Delirium but in her own novella I didn’t like her at all. At first I felt bad for her, but it was mostly pity. She was so conflicted and acting out but in the end deciding that the cure is the be all end all. I just really didn’t like her here.

I feel like Delirium was all about the good side of first love and true love and all that good stuff. Hana is all about the bad stuff. Guys using you for one thing and one thing only.

She was just so indecisive and I did feel sorry for her, I really did but it got to the point where it was just so boring. Nothing really happened that we didn’t already know in Delirium. We already knew that Hana acts out and that she was sneaking out and everything. I feel like we didn’t learn much.

I do have to say that it is a little unsettling knowing that she might have done something awful. And that makes me hate her.

Hana was a very unsatisfying novella. It didn’t bring much to the table at all except for the very last page. And that last page is the only thing worth reading.
on January 13, 2013
I loved Hana in Delirium. But after reading this shocking short story, I just screamed at the pages for 5 minutes then went and sulked to mum about how she needs to read it so I can talk about it.
I did enjoy the read, and it certainly made me more desperate to get my hands on Annabel :)

My anticipation for Requiem is growing.
on June 13, 2012
Hana is a short novella that gives us a little bit of back story of Lena's best friend Hana. The events of this novella take place during Delirium. Now since this is a novella, this review will be on the short side due to this novella being only five chapters.

I was really excited to read this novella because I felt that Hana was such an interesting character. She gave me a sense of normalcy. She acted very much like a teenager. In Delirium, there is a time period in which Lena and Hana are having a bit of a row, and since the book is told from Lena's point of view Hana isn't in the story during this time. In Hana, you get to see exactly what Hana was up to while her and Lena were having problems. You get to dive into Hana's home life a bit as well. Hana's upbringing was different than Lena's mostly because Hana's family is wealthy. And Lena looked up to Hana very much, and was a bit envious of her. But you see in this novella that the grass is definitely not greener on the other side. After reading this, I felt like I understood Hana a little bit more. And I definitely felt a bit of sympathy for her.

I actually read Pandemonium before I read Hana. So it was a nice refresher on the events of Delirium. And the ending of Hana really shocked me. Even though it really shouldn't have because the clues were there the entire time. But this shows what a strong author Lauren Oliver is, because I was definitely taken for surprise.
on January 17, 2014
It was pretty good but should have went further into the story...How did she turn them in? What did she do after she heard about what happened at the wall? Too many questions left unanswered
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really enjoyed this novella! There are a lot of moments in this novella that weren't in Delirium and others that were, but we get to see them in a totally different light in Hana.

Hana becomes much more of a three-dimensional character in this book. We see much more than the fun-loving, rebellious girl that we met in the first book. I thought she was a bit superficial in the first book so it was nice to see that wasn't necessarily so. Even when she acts in ways that are not necessarily positive, it shows her passion, the same passion that is excised with the "cure."

My Recommendation: Although this novella is considered #1.5 in the series, I read it after the last book in the trilogy and I think that that is best. Otherwise, it could ruin a bit of the surprise of Requiem.