Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 28, 2012
Wow - an exciting play by play review about tape! I know - boring stuff, but there are thrills and chills if you read on.

The day after I ordered this, I was warned by a co-worker not to buy 'that cheap stuff'. She recommended I buy Duck Brand HP260 High Performance Grade Packaging Tape, 1.88" x 60 Yards, 3.1 Mil, Crystal Clear, 6-Pack + 2 Bonus Rolls (1067839) - which is what we use at work. She pulled out the low quality stuff she ordered (not from Amazon) and it looked similar to the product in the picture but had some obvious warping, thickness issues (it varied visibly) and an adhesive that felt kind of oily and gummy - and smelled bad.

I was worried for a bit...

Thankfully I was relieved when this arrived the next day. I could tell immediately that it wasn't the same stuff my co-worker ordered. It was more transparent, much thicker and it stuck really well. Thankfully without that slimy/gummy feel of the adhesive on the cheap stuff the co-worker had - and none of the sickening odor.

Move forward several days since it arrived and I've taped up almost half of my boxes with this stuff - no problems with any of them so far. It's hard to tell this product from the one noted above, which I use frequently at work.

Recently the temperatures have been fluctuating between the upper 70's and we've even had a few frosts with temps in the the low 30's. The boxes have been taped in all sorts of temperatures in between and then moved to the poorly insulated garage. This tape hasn't given me any trouble sticking to anything in that time. It's sturdy, sticky and durable enough to keep a few boxes together after toppling over. From what I've seen thus far, I would trust this tape to seal up and send any of the items I ship out occasionally as part of my job.
22 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
I ship some very heavy items, boxes weighing from 20 to 100 pounds. I have always gone for the cheap tape to save costs but found the tapes quite light and comes off easily. This tape is VERY different, it is strong and very sticky. So sticky that you have to make a little effort to remove your fingers from the tape. It grips the box solid and it is strong. I am very impressed.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2011
I am using this tape for moving boxes and I am thrilled with it. This is not the cheap flimsy crap - this is thick, heavy duty, and adheres to whatever you apply it to. Fantastic price for a quality product! :)
on January 23, 2016
Warrning! Warning! Warning!

When you buy this item, instead of receiving your order of ~2000 total feet of tape, what you'll receive is only ~1000 feet of tape. Please see included picture and video. Please click helpful too so that others could get informed as well.

Per title and technical details, you are ordering 330 feet per roll for 6 rolls (for total footage of 1980 ft), but they'll only send you 164 feet per roll for 6 rolls (for total footage of 984 ft). You are being shorted by half of your total order.

Because of that, this generic tape comes out twice as expensive as it appears to be. Their false advertising is serving them really well. Intentional? Who knows.

Performance-wise, you have nothing to complain about this generic tape. Just read the overwhelming positive reviews.

However, bear in mind, at ~$12~ price point for 984 ft length only, this tape is in price neighborhood of a superior tape from a superior brand Duck. The Duck HP260 8-pack (which was also mentioned on the most helpful review for this item) is the better tape than this Sparco. This Sparco is about $1.22 per 100ft, while the HP260 is only about $1.38 per 100ft. The difference is 16 cents only per 100 feet of tape. Duck Brand HP260 High Performance 3.1 Mil Packaging Tape, 1.88-Inch x 60-Yard, Crystal Clear, 8-Pack (1067839) . If you use ~6 ft of tape per package, the Duck would only be costing you 1 extra penny per package, but the extra security the Duck HP260 provides is definitely more than 1 cent worth. Look below for comparison.

Specs comparison of the two tapes:
Brand: Sparco 60041 vs Duck HP260 8-pack
Unit price per 100 feet: $1.22 vs $1.38
Thickness: 2.1 mil vs 3.1 mil (higher number means thicker tape)
Operating Temp: none claimed vs 14-140 deg Fahrenheit
Tackiness of adhesive: very sticky vs very sticky.
Frequency of tear outs while unrolling: some vs less (but both are in negligible frequency)

Their false advertising here made this generic tape deceptively cheaper. But in reality, is twice more expensive than advertised.

The thickness difference of the two is negligible because both feel high quality and both seem to have same tensile strength.

The operating temp is critical for packages sent to wide range of temp places like from desert heat to below freezing point. I, however, have not had reports of the Sparco detaching itself at their destinations.

The tackiness of both tapes feel very sticky. They both hold well at time of application. However, the Sparco doesn't have a claimed operating temp therefore may detach itself under extreme temps. The Duck HP260 claims to operate from below freezing point up to desert heat.

As for tear outs, a guess-timate would be: The Sparco is about once every ~20 yards, and the HP260 is about once every ~21 yards. Both are almost identical and so the difference is again negligible.

In conclusion, both are very good tapes. Sparco is relatively unknown brand and incomprehensibly priced ~same~ as a superior tape from a superior brand. The Duck HP260 is conclusively the better of the two tapes in all aspects.

Please click helpful so that others could get informed as well.

Why only one star if Sparco is an acceptably good tape? It is for sending me half of my orders only.

Update (3/4/16).....

I see someone had already clicked unhelpful. Could it be the manufacturer? I wonder.
44 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
Great price and very tacky. I do a lot of shipping and will be ordering this product again.It is the best shipping tape I have used.
on March 3, 2013
I choose Okay for this Sparco tape 3-Core 6 pack. It is very loud. Also it is fine for general taping purposes such as boxes, moving, packing, etc. It is not clean when you tear it off, it has a lot of lines in the tape and you will know what I mean if your an ebay or amazon seller. The barcode on usps labels is very sensitive and sometimes the lines on the tape interfere with the usps ability to scan the barcode without consecutive attempts. If you do not have a self-adhesive label printer and you put tape over your labels for protective purposes just be aware.
2020 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2012
My wife bought this when I said we needed tape. I was just planning on getting a medium sized roll and tape dispenser combo that I usually get. But then this came. At first I wasn't too thrilled because I still had to go out and get a larger dispenser (just picked one up at CVS for about $5 with a roll of tape, which stunk since it was half the price of this). But after I got a dispenser (one that holds the roll and has the cutting edge), I was set. These will last you a long time and will save you a lot of money in the process. It is a quality, tough, sticky tape.

You may only need one roll today, but then you will need another one, and another one, so might as well get a 6pk for the price you would have spent on a couple.

Hope this helped. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment.
on January 18, 2016
This product is mislabeled as containing tape that is 2 inches x 110 yards (330 ft) per roll!!

The Sparco 60041 product contains ONLY 164 ft per roll! I am looking at the packaging now. It also is only 1 7/8 inches but that's not a big issue, advertising that it contains 330 feet when it only contains 164 feet is a MAJOR misrepresentation!!!

I needed more, but noted that the price doubled recently, then noticed that my original order was less tape than advertised. Nice job Amazon, I'm going to start shopping elsewhere!
on April 6, 2015
How on earth did this tapes quality go so far downhill? I have used this tape for several years with no issues and was always very pleased. The last few purchases I have noticed that is is next to impossible to separate the rolls and really hard to fit on the tape dispenser core and taking it off is even harder. I am using the same tape dispenser I always have and the rolls just don't fit the same. I actually had to cut the last roll off of the plastic core of the tape dispenser. The last batch I had the tape was quite a bit thinner and harder to use. This is so disappointing and now I guess I will have to find another brand. Anyone have any suggestions?
review image
on January 28, 2014
Unless you are only taping moving boxes, I wouldn't buy this tape. I'm shocked it had so many good reviews. For shipping, it's TERRIBLE! The tape is all pre-marked up (do I pay extra for that?) & refuses to smoothly come off the roll. I could see it being alright if you are doing only large moving boxes, for anything else, don't buy this.