Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Style Name: 4-Slice|Color: Black|Change
Price:$39.08+ Free shipping

on July 13, 2012
Pros: continous bottom bread wire
narrower slots than most
centers bread in slots well
simple operation
easy to clean
removable slide-out crumb tray

Cons: bulky
darkess dial has no click stops, also functions as "cancel"
heating elements light erratically, so uneven toasting that varies each use
crumb tray too shallow
long cool-down time
typical made-in-China quality (as in, lack of)

All I want to do is toast plain old supermarket bread, so I chose this model because it had the fewest silly whizbangs and the narrowest slots. I knew it would be bigger than my old toaster, but wow, is it ever huge (probably just to keep the plastic exterior far away from the heating elements, because it's mostly hollow and weighs a lot less than the teeny metal toaster it replaced). Still, compared to other models it has clean lines and is not unattractive, just bulky for a mere toaster.

Despite the narrower (1.3") slots, two slices of plain bread can fit in each slot (won't toast that way, though), plenty of room for English muffin and bagel halves that are smaller than your head. There's no toast-one-side option; according to the manual, the "bagel" and "defrost" buttons only extend toasting time, period. You can, however, heat Pop Tarts and Pillsbury Toaster Pastries in it, which many current toasters say not to do. I'd credit that to the bottom bread holder, which is a thick, continuous winding wire and not two pairs of opposing teeth like other toasters I looked at -- your bread/bagel/Pop Tart won't easily fall through. This is a good feature.

To stop toasting early you can't lift the handle -- you have to turn the darkness dial all the way back to cancel. It turns loosely and smoothly, but that also means you can't set-and-forget your ideal darkness; jostling the toaster is enough to change the setting. And you MUST watch the setting -- maximum "dark" is more like "incinerate"; setting the dial halfway comes out pretty dark.

Sometimes. Sometimes it's light. Sometimes it's light on top and dark on the bottom, or dark vs. light on the flip side, or striped from side to side, or sometimes perfectly even all around. You never know what you're going to get, and you're probably going to want to monitor the toasting process so you can intervene if needed. I don't think I'd let a child use it unsupervised.

Despite its shortcomings, I'd still choose this model over all the ones I saw in-store. There's simply no such thing as a good toaster anymore, but this Waring seems better than many of the rest. I'm learning to live with it.

And now a moment of mourning for my cheap little all-steel, made-in-USA toaster, which after 18 years of perpetually perfect toasting, quietly died last month. We will never see its like again.
1111 comments|244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2012
I purchased this for my father because he is quite picky and he loves it. There are heating coils on both sides for toasting, which was a problem with the last one he purchased. It gets his toast nice and dark without drying it out like a brick. Doesn't have a ton of unnecessary buttons. The cool to touch feature is nice, does make the toaster a tad bulky looking, but if you're someone who touches the sides of the toaster while using it you won't mind the size. I did purchase this at a retail store and not through Amazon and actually got it for a lower price but I think it is worth asking price.
11 comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
We've had this Waring toaster for over 6 months. I can't say that I'm big on toast and I'm not a toast "expert", in fact, I have toast maybe once a month. All that I require when I do have toast is that the toaster toasts the bread.

Now, the wife (a real toast connoisseur) on the other hand eats bagels everyday and she makes toast for our daughter (very picky, the toast has to be just right or the dog has toast for breakfast!) on some mornings. We had a two slice toaster (cheap Black and Decker) for many years, it didn't have the wider slots for bagels, so, she said she wanted a four slice toaster with slots for bagels, thus, we decided to buy this Waring toaster. Two of the other requirements was it had to have the "lift" option so the toast could be taken out easier and without burning your fingers, we had to use a knife sometimes to pry bagels out of the old toaster and it had to have (what I call) the "bailout button" to make the toast pop-up in the event the bread started burning, its called "cancel knobs" on this particular toaster.

The wife really likes this Waring toaster, true, its BIG but we took measurements prior to purchasing to make sure it would fit in the allotted space, and, of course it does. So, lets go over the check list:

1) Four slots (check)
2) Wide slots for bagels (check)
3) Lift-up option (check)
4) Cancel knobs (check)

Ah, now the bonus features:

1) Bagel button
2) Defrost button

This Waring toaster is the proverbial Cadillac of toasters for the price of a Chevy! We research a lot of toasters (I know, sick, right?) before making the decision to buy this toaster and for the price point and all of the features no other toaster came close. There are many toasters that cost a lot more and we didn't want to spend a fortune on a toaster, but we wanted certain features, and, most importantly, it had to toast the bread/bagels to our (the wife and daughter) satisfaction and this toaster does just that (poor dog, no more toast for breakfast!).

I recommend this Waring toaster to anyone looking for a toaster with a lot of features at a great price point.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2012
Toaster worked fine for less than 2 months, then lever would not stay down (engage) to begin toasting. Am trying to get manufacturer to replace, but know this won't happen. This replaced a Cuisinart toaster that had the same problem. Either toaster would have been satisfactory if they worked as intended. Seems like anything we buy today is a "crap shoot" as to how long they last and how they perform. Amazon is not the fault for product failure. they sell in good faith, we purchase in good faith.
NOTE::: tHE ABOVE IS NOT CORRECT! I wrote this review, and discovered later,, that the dial had inadvertenly been turned to
"CANCEL" and the toaster was doing exactly what it was supposed to do....File the above report under "OWNER STUPIDITY" the toaster works just fine, and I rate this a 5 STAR. My apologies to Waring, and any reader that read my review prior to this.
88 comments|195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
Toasts evenly and quickly. The 'crumb' tray is a nice feature to have which makes cleaning the toaster fairly easy. The cool touch feature also works as advertised and makes handling the toaster much safer. I usually turn the dial somewhere in the middle, but it depends on what bread you put in.

Just a note, there will be some smoke when you first use it due to a coating of machine oil used to protect the metal inside the toaster. This is to be expected and the instructions do mention this, so read it!
on August 10, 2012
This toaster is very light weight. I read reviews that said the toaster only browns one side. When mine arrived and was used on bread there was some uneven toasting. What I have found is that some of the heating elements are too close to the insulation material and that this is preventing the heating element to heat up. If you are very careful and with the unit unplugged, you can gently lift the heating elements off the insulation and with a very slight bend it will stay off the insulation and then the heating element will glow again and you will have a more even toasting. It is to bad that the customer needs to make this modification. It shows that the quality control of this product is not very good.
Nevertheless, once the heating elements are placed properly the unit works very well.
on August 17, 2012
I returned this toaster almost immediately.

It overheats even on the lowest settings. Personally I do not like the smoke alarm being involved in my morning toast on a regular basis.

The bagel setting is a farce. A Bagel setting is not just cooking it longer on both sides. Especially bad when the lowest setting is already too much heat.

I would also add that the use of the word professional in regards to this very cheap piece of plastic is very Unprofessional. It even says on the box "for home use only", LOL.

It also has a HUGE footprint, for no good reason at all. The replacement is just as cool to the touch and smaller, but with larger slots!.

This joke of a toaster was replaced with a Breville, a lot more $$, but definitely worth it compared to this awful thing.

But alas nothing it seems can replace the old, made-in-the-USA, model that finally had to be retired after decades of perfect functioning, and perfect even browning, which none of these
new ones at any price seem to be able to do nearly as well. But for what is available now I recommend the Breville and I looked at everything.Breville Lift and Look Touch Toaster
on August 20, 2012
We dropped a plastic bubble wand in our old toaster so we had to buy a new one. After too much research we settled on this. Our old toaster was a Black & Decker (wife bought it) and the only nice thing about it was the retractable cord. Before that we had an overpriced Cusianart toaster that never lived up its hype. This is a simple toaster, and it does its job well. We use it almost daily to make Peanut Butter sandwiches and we both agree that it makes good toast.
on March 8, 2013
From the start the toaster did not lift bread, bagels or waffles out enough from the slots to grab them without burning your fingers after toasting. The real problem though was the near fire it started when a waffle NEVER popped up. When the smoke cleared and we dumped the toaster over outside a very black waffle fell out. You get what you pay for. The Waring return policy for what is a defective, one month old product is to have the customer PAY to ship it 100+ miles away to be REPAIRED. Seriously?
Save your money and the headache.
on May 11, 2012
I bought this toaster based on the positive reviews. I completely agree. This is a wonderful toaster. It browns nice and evenly and is easy to use with toast, bagels, and thicker bread slices. Good value plus free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member. Recommend.