Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on April 29, 2012
Well, this wasn't the first time I purchase ASUS boards, seems ain't gonna be the last one: As always, ASUS delivers a well thought and built products, for a fair price. As always, a lot of fancy (sometimes useless, but certainly nice) features. Quad channel memory architecture with 8 DDR3 slots, LGA 2011 socket, 3 PCIe x16 slots, gigabit LAN and optical audio output, 2 x 6Gbit SATA ports... Everything you might need to build a serious rig.
The first startup was "smooth and by the numbers": everything worked just fine, out of box. No problems at all. The BIOS interface is pretty nice, allows use of mouse.
So far, I have pretty few time running this board, but I feel satisfied with the purchase, since ASUS has always (well, almost...) offered good products...
Update 05/10/2012: Now I have about 10 days running the machine, at full capacity, and I feel very satisfied with the results: everything works just fine, well there was an issue with RAM: it was supposed to run at 2133MHz (according the manufacturer's specs), but by defalt it was set at 1600MHz, when I tryed to play, the machine was hanging up, shortly after start playing... I switched the memory to 1866MHz (I would certainly like it to run at 2133MHz, but it didn't want...) and everything works just fine...
I installed i7 3820, which I think was the best choice (at the beginning, I was considering 3960, but it would be almost 300 bucks more, and I think it would be an unnecessary waste of money), instead of this, I made an effort to upgrade my video card: this time I decided for Radeon R7970, with 3Gb of memory... well at this moment I couldn't say whether it was right choice or not (I want to test it with a lot of games), but I can say that that it works better that expected.
So, in order to finish this, I thinks that this mother board is worth each dollar paid...
Update 06/17/2012: This mother board has a lot of good features for overclocking: The utility, that comes with the board, "pushed" the PCU to 4532MHz, and memory to 1922MHz, and everything seems to work fine so far...
I think that this board was great choice....
review image
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2012
This is a spectacular motherboard for the price. It is very full-featured and is well laid out to boot. The visual BIOS with a mouse seemed kind of gimmicky, but I'm used to a more traditional BIOS so I can't knock it too hard. The onboard overclocking tool was very effective, more so than their tool from the Rampage IV I had before. It did push the processor past a stable point a couple of times and I had to manually dial it back, but it was able to get me from 3.2Ghz to 4.7Ghz (stable) with just a mouse click.
For such a full-featured board though, it is missing a couple of, in my mind, important features. It DOES have SATA6 and a butt-load of USB 3.0 ports on the rear panel, but no USB 3.0 headers on the board, so my case with USB 3.0 ports on the front panel is SOL. Second, it has has no native Bluetooth support. That just seems kind of elementary to me, especially considering the other modern feature on the board. Thermal management on the heat sinks is fine, and my chipset stays cool (not cold, but reasonably cool), even with a high overclock and two overclocked GPUs.
As a last note, my board came with two dead DIMM slots. Given that it has 8, 24GB of RAM was just fine with me, but it was annoying.
on July 27, 2012
Awesome board paired with the i7-3930k, no problems at all setting up.

Very easy bios for both beginner and advanced users. Super easy to OC RAM to 2133, and have heard it is just as easy to OC to 2400.(using 16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 RipjawsZ Series for Intel X79 (9-11-10-28) Quad Channel kit 4x4GB)

Looking at x79 boards I was worried that they were all riddled with problems from the reviews, this was one of the only boards that seemed all positive, and I will add to it. Not a single problem with hardware or software.
on January 26, 2014
I had given this five stars until I realized that I cannot use the front panel USB3 ports on my case because this board does not come with a USB3 header, the only USB3 ports are on the back. Now I have to buy a 3rd party adapter to use the USB3 ports on my case.
On the bright side, it worked out of the box with my Ivy Bridge-E without having to the use the BIOS Flashback feature. For this price you'd think it comes with the USB3 header, my previous Asus Sabertooth Z77 did...
on August 29, 2013
If you're going to buy a motherboard, ALWAYS pick ASUS. They are, hands down, the best. This motherboard has been nothing less than amazing for my gaming PC setup. I paired this motherboard with a 3930k CPU (the unlocked hexcore one) and 4 sticks of 4 gig ddr3 ram at 2400mhz (4 sticks so that I could utilize the quad channel ram that this motherboard has). If I was to purchase again, I'd get the same motherboard, but the 'Pro' version of the p9x79, because I have a case with 2 USB 3.0 in the front. This motherboard does not have the internal connections for running USB 3.0 lines to the front (it just has 2 built into the back).

For overclocking, this thing has been WONDERFUL. As long as you're a smart overclocker and read everything before you try it, you'll be fine. Don't listen to the motherboard's color coated numbers (when you increase voltages, the numbers turn different colors in the BIOS to show you how dangerous the voltages that youre choosing are). If you do purchase this board, just take note of one thing, NEVER turn your VCCSA voltage or VTT voltage above 1.2 (EVER EVER EVER). Doing this will shorten the life of your CPU. Not possibly, it WILL. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but it's well documented online. That's all... great buy!
on September 9, 2012
I have built dozens of systems over the years. I had seen that some folks had problems with this series of boards, but I have always been a big ASUS fanboy. I built a new gaming rig with this and a 3820 with all the usual cast of parts. Works great and have no problems in a month of use. I understand that any company can have a run of bad boards, but my experience has been fine. Gets my recommdation.
on May 4, 2013
Not really an unbiased review with I admit my brand loyalty right out of the gate, but it is what it is. This is a solid motherboard from a dependable brand. I've been building custom rigs for 15 years now, and I always seem to end up with a lot of Asus gear. It is nice to know that I can shave off some cost of a build by downgrading the motherboard a bit without sacrificing much (if any) quality. By downgrading though, I mean going from one Asus to another; I really don't bother with other brands that much.

The only downside to this mobo is that it didn't have an on-board USB 3.0 connector for external ports. No biggie...
on October 26, 2013
This board is great, everything I need. For those wondering if you can get a good overclock on this one, you most certainly can. Using the manual tuning program, I simply cranked up the clock multiplier to 46 and voila, 4.6ghz on the 3930k! Stable too, I use it for 3D rendering. You need the cooling for this though. I tried air, then a lower end water cooler, and finally settled on the H80i which has been incredible.
on January 29, 2014
What is there to say? If you have a system with a 2011 socet type, and you are looking for a mainboard replacement or upgrade, then I would definitely recommend this board. 64 GB max ram, 8 ram slots and a really cool BIOS setup. Techie's dream board. x79 chipset is also nice. Great purchase
on February 12, 2013
I was getting ready to put together a new computer, and was using an Intel i7 3820 processor. I looked around on both Ebay and Amazon, and decided to go with Amazon for a new Asus 2011 motherboard. The Asus P9X79 had excellent reviews (5 stars) and now I know why! It Rocks! Easy to install, has 8 Dimms, is easy to overclock, and has everything I need. Once it arrived I put it all together and then downloaded the latest bios. I couldn't be anymore happier - my new computer is definitely Fast and powerful! I ran into no problems at all! I've always been happy with the Asus motherboards. The cool thing about Amazon is I ordered all the components on the same day, and a few days later, all the components came on the same day! I didn't have to sit around and wait on parts to finish the job. If you're looking for a great motherboard - try the P9X79, you won't be sorry!