Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a child, I was somewhat of a board game addict. To exemplify just how uncool I was, my brother and I used to hold a game Olympics in which we'd crown a champion of every individual game we owned. Battleship, of course, has been a staple in households since it debuted as a Milton Bradley board game in 1967. It has certainly withstood the test of time, but like every creation has faced several updates or new incarnations through the years. Of course, synergistic marketing being what it is--you couldn't expect a Battleship film not to be accompanied by a Battleship movie tie-in game. Personally, I'd prefer if studios had more imagination than to co-opt something as silly as a game (with no plot) to be their next potential blockbuster. But my cynicism about opportunism aside, this is a review of the Deluxe Battleship game.

Game Design: In terms of appearance and design, this is actually a pretty nice set-up. It does require a bit of assembly and there are stickers to affix, but once you've gotten established--it's a slick and dynamic looking game. The primary playing surface is a sturdy plastic unit that unfolds and stands in a pyramid-like formation. As in the original, the bottom screen allows you to view your battleships while the top allows you to track where you've attacked your opponent. In between is a programming console with the buttons utilized in game play.

Game Play: As this is a movie tie-in, it necessarily follows the themes of the movie. Hence, one side plays the Navy and one side plays alien forces. This concept adds nothing to the actual game. Instead of placing your own ships, there are options to choose a pre-existing configuration from the manual and program it into the unit. As you make attacks, you enter the coordinates into the panel and the game lets you know if you are successful or not. The interface is very intuitive and it's not difficult to get going even without studying the instructions.

Electronic Components: I, personally, do NOT think that every game needs to be updated electronically. That said, I thought this had its plusses and its minuses. First, I missed not being able to place my own ships exactly where I wanted. To do so requires a lengthier process of programming, so I guess I'll just have to be more patient in the set-up. But to attack via the keyboard is a noticeable improvement. The game voice gets mildly irritating especially when you hit a long spell of misses, but I still thought it was a worthy addition (and it prevents cheating)!

Variations: There is a single player mode as well which adds value. There are also three difficulty settings and some choices of game type (classic, multi-attack which keeps you in control as long as you are hitting, and salvo where turns correspond to how many in your fleet are still afloat) and weapon type (basic or some advanced weapons options). Truthfully, though, the classic game of Battleship plays much like any other. The various game types can help speed up the progression and are a nice option. The weapons add another dimension as well, but are a bit tricky at first.

Bottom Line: This is a cool version of Battleship, to be sure. Given the choice between this and classic Battleship, I think the advantages of the upgrade are worth it. Classic Battleship, though, can still become overlong and tedious if luck is not on your side. That doesn't change regardless of any technological enhancements in a traditional game, but the new options give you some updated alternatives. KGHarris, 5/12.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
Weve had this game less than 6 hours & are ready to box it up and return it.
For starters, it won't stay upright. It collapses flat on any sort of pressure. I have a 5 & 8 yr old, who probably press the pegs extra firm - but it's marketed as a kid game, so that should have been considered anyway.
Secondly, programming & play time take up a lot of extra time compared to original version, so we stopped in the middle of a game for supper - and the thing timed out & shut itself off. There's no way to retrieve your game once it times out. We had to start over. Meaning we had to commit to another hour+ to reprogram & play again.
Thirdly, the alien ships are shaped wider than the grid marks, so you can't place 2 of them next to each other on the board. Nor can you place white "miss" pegs around the alien ships when the opponent calls a missed shot. This is a minor complaint, but worth mentioning if you're planning on spending $40-$50 for this game.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Gotta love the old game battleship but this product is too confusing to be fun. It was harder than expected to set up but of course I was comparing it to the old battleship game. Once put together the process to play the game was quite confusing as you have to go through a series of questions for 2 players (and 1) to get all the ships on the board. One good thing about the product is the ability to play as a single player so once you get the hang of setting up the game to play it is not bad but not the best.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a child of the 1970s, where board games were popular family entertainment. The classic "Battleship" game was popular with the kids for a couple of reasons. First, we had the classic "You sank my battleship!" commercials on Saturday morning cartoons, and we all thought it was absolutely hysterical to invoke that phrase in mock-horror (how our parents put up with us I'll never know). The other big thing with "Battleship" was that you could play it anytime, anywhere - even in the car on long road trips as long as you took care not to dump the game pieces everywhere.

When you're 7 and riding in the back seat across Montana, any distraction is welcome.

The "Deluxe Movie Battleship" is a decidedly high-tech updating of the classic game. In several respects, the new game suffers from the enhanced technology - it takes much longer to set up, attacking your opponent is more cumbersome than the old "'B-3' - 'Miss.' - 'C-1' - 'Hit'" exchanges, etc. - but the game has some very positive aspects. My favorite is that you can play a solo game, something that was absolutely impossible with the classic game. You also cannot deny that the game now has a look and feel that makes you feel a lot more like you're in command of something - in the classic game all you had was your grid with your own ships and a grid where you tracked your hits and misses. While the classic game had a certain low-tech charm, I've noticed that kids like the more ornate look of this game.

My version of the game required some minor assembly - mainly stickers - that wasn't too challenging when compared to other kids' games. I do feel like this one sucks the life out of batteries pretty quickly, though.

All in all, a recommended game but, if you're of a certain age like me, you might just prefer to track down a version of the classic game (and try to explain to your incredulous kids why it was so much fun).
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This clever update to the tactical combat game thrilled my sons (ages 9 and 8). The Deluxe Battleship Movie edition's jaw-dropping features include:

* Weapon sound effects
* Voice commands - "The battle for Earth has begun!" and "Alien target neutralized!"
* Single-player mode - A huge improvement on the classic game! The computer opponent offers three skill levels of competition.
* Pre-set ship arrangements - Speeds up game play.
* Three game options - Classic, multi-attack and salvo
* Compact design - the hinged suitcase design makes the game much easier to store and carry along for a weekend trip. (This occupies our sons' time while we unpack at the hotel.)

We are probably one of the few families who own three versions of Battleship. We have a vintage 1970s set I purchased from eBay, a contemporary update released by Milton Bradley and since discontinued and the Deluxe Battleship Movie edition, which is now our favorite of the three.

The other electronic reincarnations, such as Monopoly, fail because the upgrades subtract iconic elements (e.g. paper money). Aside from a slightly smaller grid, my sons didn't notice anything missing in the Deluxe Battleship Movie edition.

My video clip shows my sons playing their first game, immediately after assembling the pieces from the box. You can see they are a little tentative but the game play is intuitive. Over the first weekend, they played at least a dozen matches together as well as another 4-5 games in the single-player mode. The Deluxe Battleship Movie edition quickly supplanted their vintage version as the summer road trip game to pack.

In summary, nostalgia shouldn't be a reason to deprive your kids of this fun. Regardless how you feel about the movie that inspired this update to the classic board game, the game itself is a lot of fun. Although I'm partial to classic board games (more often than not, the vintage games have better-quality components, e.g. Othello), the electronic upgrade works for Battleship. The quality sound effects, the enhanced game options and push-button operations breathe new life into the tactical combat game.

Rating: Five stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This "Deluxe Battleship movie Edition" adds several new playing variations to the classic Battleship game, mostly based on the the 2012 movie (Battleship). We love the classic game and have kept it in our RV to play when camping and I even had the original electronic version that was released sometime back in the late 1980's, but that was cumbersome to play and we gave it away. This electronic version is much better than the old one and the new modes do add to the fun, especially for the kids. Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Easy Initial Setup; requires snapping the playing fields together and applying decals
+ Play Options; includes the classic single shot version, multi-attack, and salvo (my favorite), and also has new attack and advanced weapon options that really take advantage of the electronic component
+ Single Player Mode; allows you to play against the computer at one of three skill levels
+ Easy to Configure; select from 100 preset ship setups or take a bit more time and enter your own
+ Self Contained Storage; folds up nicely for storage and transporting

Cons -
- Time Out; the game times out and shuts off if left unattended for too long, even in the middle of a game
- Game Voice; this uses digitized voice for the humans and aliens, I love it but my wife found it annoying over time

This is a very fun game and the ability to play a solo version makes it worthwhile based on that feature alone.

on September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There isn't much more I can add to the reviews already published for this toy. I have had it for awhile but have held off on reviewing because I wanted to play it a lot to really determine how I and the kids I know feel about it.

First of all, out of the box it is pretty simple to assemble. Then, it is time to make decisions. You have to decide if you are playing 1 player or 2 player. Then you decide who is the Navy and who are the Aliens. Then you have to decide your Weapons options. Then your Fleet Deployment options. All the while you are making these decisions you have to be consulting the instruction manual for each step and it can be confusing. Also, if you aren't fast enough entering all the info to program for each individual game, it times out and you have to start over again. It took me (age 45) and my adult sister 3 tries at programming our game. We could have played 5 rounds of old fashioned Battleship in that time or played our Iphone versions!

The game states that this is for ages 8+. I don't know if an 8 year old would have the patience to program this game. I barely had the patience.

As a mom who has been a stickler about having the kids pack up all the pieces of a game properly before putting it away so nothing gets lost I have some issues with this version. The first thing is the storage for the pegs. It would have been nice for the lid of the well to be attached to the base with a hinge so it won't get lost (cause it will). Also, the storage well could have been easily divided in the center to keep the red and white pegs separate. The other thing is the time it takes to pull out the pegs from the grids at the end of game play. They could easily devise some kind of instant pop out method for them all to pop out at once (especially for the price).

I, nor the kids that played it, had an issue with the volume. Although I can see where a volume control could be beneficial if people are playing in an area where other people are engaged in other activities.

I personally don't like this version. I prefer either the original classic version or the Iphone one. The kids that played it liked it alright though and that is why I gave it 3 stars. They wished it didn't take so long to program everything but once they did they had fun. I think $50.00 is a ridiculous price but the discounted $40.00 is more reasonable IF they made the changes I suggested above.
on October 13, 2012
This Battleship Movie Edition electronic game, was a gift for my grandson. Though the game itself is fun, this game seems to have memory issues. It doesn't correctly register the placement of the ships- at least the aircraft carrier, leaving it impossible to sink all ships. It can be played in the traditional fashion, but defeats the purpose of an electronic version.
on July 8, 2013
The voice mode (computer?) is quite good, and there are a lot of ways to fight your opponent, but I love the single player mode the best! (So that my son can play by himself! :)

To battle with the aid of the on-board computer, you have to input the coordinate of the ships. So the child needs to understand the coordinates and how to input stuff to a simple keyboard built into this toy. Then there are search mode, missiles, etc in advanced weapons mode. The game is more fun and you'll able to finish a lot quicker, and you can never cheat each other.

Only negative is this does not have much storage for the little pins, and the structure is not very stable.
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is certainly not the Battleship that I grew up playing. In fact, this version (based upon the recent movie) is much more fun. The strategy and skills required to play are the same, as is the concept of attacking your enemy's ships, but the enemy is different - an alien force. Players get to choose between being the attacker or the savior of their planet while playing. This electronic version feature movie-esque sound effects that help readers get into the game as they choose their level of difficulty in laying out their game plan. Deluxe Battleship Movie Edition is a fun time for all.