Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 13, 2013
This is a very good Halloween book for elementary age students. Full of great illustrations. The poems are appropriate for Halloween and can help capture the mood and spirit of Halloween. I would recommend it for parents and teachers alike.
on September 18, 2013
This was a great book for kids. They love the "scary" poems,the funny poems and the photos are great too. It is one of the first books the grands pick up to read when they come to visit. That says it all.
on October 24, 2015
I got this for my nephew for us to read around Halloween. He loves it! We read it the year before around Halloween, and he loved it so much I wanted to buy it for him. I wasn't able to until this year. I'm very glad that I did before he gets too big to read books like this.
on October 16, 2004
A great alternative to giving the same old candy year after year- this book is a treat for young minds!The poems are imaginative and fun, and in the case of the poem, "Skeleton", informative.I purchased two of the books for my nephews and niece as a Halloween treat. I always like to read the books myself before giving them away and I couldn't wait to take a peek at this one. The beaded illustrations are colorful, whimsical and beautifully done. I especially loved the art and poem on "Dinner Dilemma", "House for Sale!", "A Broomstick's Life", and "What Should I Be?". If you are looking for a "Spooktacular" book that adults and children will have fun reading, choose this one along with "From the Doghouse: Poems to Chew On", by the same author, and you won't be disappointed.
on September 30, 2006
I am an adult but love this Halloween book. It is written for children but I enjoy it and have given a copy of ths book to numerous friends (who have grandchildren) as well as to some of my favorite children. It has interested me that boys who are not readers by nature, seem to enjoy this book very much. Girls also adore the book but always seem easier to interest in reading than boys. Have a look! Don't pass up this book!!!
on September 21, 2005
Of all the halloween books we checked out of the library last year (and that was a LOT), this one was my 5-year-old's favorite, and mine, too! It has all of the Halloween necessities -- skeletons, witches, pumpkins, etc. -- but wasn't too scary for a young child. The poems are delightful, and the book is a great way to introduce young children to various forms of poetry, both rhythmic and more free-form. The book includes a wide variety of poems, but thankfully, it's still just the right length for a bedtime read. Lastly, the pictures really make this book stand out from all the rest -- the beading work is amazing. This book will delight children and adults alike!
on October 11, 2010
I'm a beader, and saw an ad for this book in a magazine many years ago. I saved it, wanting to pick it up sometime. I found it a few months ago, tucked in some old papers, and decided to see if it was still around. It was, and I was so happy to be able to get a copy.

The poems are cute--my 3-year-old likes me to read them to her. And the illustrations are so cleverly done, beautifully rendered, and inspiring, I bought the second book these two collaborated on! It's about dogs, and just as cute and fun.

As a creative individual, I appreciate the artistry of others, and this book is no exception! As a kid's book, it is perfect for Halloween. As beading inspiration for Halloween junkies, it is gold.
VINE VOICEon March 31, 2005
I was hoping this would be a good coffee table book to have out during the Halloween season when hosting adult parties. Alas, it was not meant for the over 10 years of age set. Of the twenty poems presented in the book and the one on the back cover, only five held any interest for me. The others failed to have a poetic rhythm that I could follow. I do believe that children between 3 and 10 would enjoy the poems more than any adult I know as they describe the Halloween experience very well. They just don't work as poetic structure for me. Most of the poems begin with a good cadence but lose that rhythm toward the middle to the end of the poem.

The best part of the whole book was the illustrations; all of which are beading done on canvas. They are colorful and realistic. Ms. Dismukes should stop illustrating books and begin a career as a pattern maker for beading. Any and all of these illustrations would make wonderful beading kits that would sell at such stores as Joann's or Michaels. I hope to see Ms. Dismukes make the change from illustrating books to craft kit maker as her talents are wasted in not sharing her work with the craft industry.