Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 10, 2012
The microscope itself is pretty solid. The included 25x eyepiece, which is needed to reach 1000x, doesn't fit the scope securely as far as I can tell. There may be some way to do it, but the instructions won't help you there. If you're like me and try to do it anyway, be prepared to grab a magnet to fish up the tiny (TINY) screw that holds the 10x eyepiece in place. For the 4x and 10x objective lenses, you can use cheapo slides, stacked 2 high. This is good enough to check out plasma cells flying around, hair structure, fly wings and other commonly available things that strike your nerdy fancy. As a casual hobby microscope, this thing is totally worth it.

HOWEVER: The 40x objective can't focus that high above the stage. You'll need thin (.8mm or less) or depression slides, which are slightly more expensive, and slips in order to really get in tight for microbes, amoebae, and carbon fiber robot building (you should probably have a pro 'scope for that, anyway). It shouldn't deter you from buying, but be sure to add the right slides/supplies to your order.

Also, if the portability is a seller for you, I'll add that there is clearly a battery compartment in this model. However, and I'll concede that I may just be stupid, I can't figure out how to get that bad boy open.

EDIT: 6 months later, I found myself in a situation that required the use of the battery, and I decided to go for broke. Pliers remove the cap easily, and the fastener beneath the cap is sturdy enough that it won't cause damage. Disregard my portability complaint.
88 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2014
Great microscope value. Can see all kinds of cellular structures. Kids loved it. Did have to clean inside the compound lenses a bit. Fine focus adjustment is great. Also has adjustable brightness led light and two eyepieces. Battery or AC adapter provided. Attached are actual pictures taken through the microscope of the Amscope prepared slide sample of a pine needle. They were taken through the low power eyepiece with my Iphone on each of the three lenses. Totally awesome that you can do this - just point your iphone camera into the eye piece. No fancy equipment or camera needed.
review image review image review image
on April 13, 2013
Great microscope for the kitchen biologist. The optics are decent (not amazing) and it a fairly solid unit. The adjustable brightness of the light is very helpful and the micro-adjusting knob is essential on a microscope of this power. Overall, a good buy if you want something for non-professional use.
on January 11, 2013
I purchased this product as a Christmas gift for my child. We did a lot of comparison shopping and had a lot of fun selecting this one because it was mid-range in price and appeaered to be a good quality item.

When the scope arrived, we opened it right away. That is when our dissapointment began. The scope is not "all metal." The body is indeed metal, but many of the other parts, including the casing around the light, are not.

Nevertheless, the unit appeared sturdy enough, so we decided to give it a whirl with some slides I had purchased as well. We got the light to work, but every time we even slightly moved the unit to insert a slide or adjust the view, the light flickered on and off.

We promptly contacted the seller, who seemed happy enough to take the unit back. He sent me a mailing label and apologized for my inconvenience. That is when the fun started. This seller only refunded part of the cost of the unit. When I emailed him to ask why, he informed me that he had been able to get the light to work for five hours continuously by plugging it in at his shop. Because of this, he charged me a $20 shipping charge. Of course, I also got the light to work when the unit was just sitting there, but this is not a lamp, it is a precision instrument.

We then proceeded to exchange emails abour this all day. I am not sure how much this guy makes an hour. Given his poor customer service ethic and obvious overpaying for postage, I am sure it is not alot. But I am also sure it cost him more than $20 of his time to exchange emails with me and insult me by insinuating that I was lying about the defective condition of the microscope.

Bottom line, this is not a good product or a good seller. I highly recommend moving on.
1515 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2012
Very happy with this purchase. I received it within a reasonable time. The price is great for what I got. I am a home school mom and will be able to take advantage of my daughters natural curiosity to explore. The instructions could be a lot better. It was confusing to change the lens out. However, I was able to find information on line that helped me. Overall... Great product for a great price. Best of all, she will be able to use this thru High School. I would recommend purchasing some prepared slides to get started. Not the Lab quality scopes that I was used to working with in the Lab, But this is a great quality started scope that gets the job done.
on August 22, 2012
I enjoy this microscope. It has everything that I would need and then some. It's an excellent price for something of this quality in my opinion. Everything works just as expected... but I wouldn't necessarily use a plastic locking mechanism in my fine lens TBH.
on November 8, 2012
Ordered this for my son that is homeschooled. We needed the microscope for his Biology class. He loves it. Having this microscope available has made Biology much more exciting to study.
on October 21, 2014
My son loves his microscope and so do I. I am taking college bio 11 (anatomy and physiology) and we have to draw the cells and if we aren't finished in class it becomes homework-- guess what I have (I mean "WE" have) the same one basically at home. I can still draw the cells i'm supposed to because guess what they also use the same slides. So its very helpful for me. My son loves science as I did when I was a child (and still do). Now I can't wait to purchase the blank slides so we can put things in it.
on November 1, 2012
I got this microscope to check for parasites. Perfect! Works great and good price. Light is bright. Ac plug or 3 aaa, comes with both and cover. Will need to buy slides. I use this when checking my koi for parasites. Easy to grab and check a sample right at the pond. When serious $$$ is involved, the right tools is needed. A must have for serious koi keepers.
on January 3, 2014
I recently bought an Amscope M150 microscope for my thirteen years old daughter to use in her classroom and at home. While being fairly inexpensive (under $100.00), compare to other microscopes with the same characteristics, I was a little disappointed by the overall quality of the product. For example:

1) The 10X eyepiece comes with an internal “arrow” (a black thin line that goes from the edge of the eyepiece almost to the center of it). This “line” is used as an aiming aid in pin pointing particular segments of an observed item. It comes pretty handy especially when there is the need to increase substantially the magnification. Since the eyepiece arrived dirty, I proceeded to clean it by blowing the lens with a camera lens dust blower followed by a dry sheet of optical grade paper, as suggested by the manufacturer. When I reinserted the eyepiece all the grime was gone… together with the arrow. Imagine my surprise when, upon calling Customer Service, I was told that the “arrow” is actually a sticker attached to the bottom of the eyepiece lens (versus being etched in the glass) and that “can be easily removed” when the lens is cleaned. I guess, according to AmScope, you either have to keep your lens dirty or lose the aiming device. Your choice.

2) According to the manufacturer, the microscope comes with a little screwdriver used to remove a tiny screw that is present on the body tube and that keeps the Ocular Lens (the Eyepiece) from falling off. The screw is shown in both the User Manual and the YouTube video provided for this particular microscope. However, while I did get the screwdriver, somebody at the factory actually forgot to drill the hole where the screw is supposed to go in. As a result the eyepiece is loose and it can easily fall off if the microscope is tilted accidentally or during transportation from one location to another.

3) The instructions in the box the microscope comes in say “You may download the manual for your M150 microscope at the following link (enter exactly as it appears, it is case sensitive): http://goo.gl/fzACX”. However the link just takes you to AmScope main web page. On my second call to their Customer Service I was told and I quote “I am sorry, we are aware that the link doesn’t work, give me your email address and I will email the manual to you”, which they did. I guess just fixing the link was out of the question.

4) The LED light is not strong enough, even at the highest setting, when used with the three AA batteries.

While all of the above are just small problems that can be easily solved, they sure don’t speak very highly about the overall quality of the product. Other then that, the body of the microscope appear to be solidly built. The optical quality of the 10X eyepiece is fairly good for the price while the quality of the 25X eyepiece is less then average (extremely dark). If you are looking for an inexpensive microscope for light recreational use, and are willing to overlook a few quality problems along the way, go ahead and buy this microscope. Otherwise spend a little more money and get something better. I wish I did.