Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on August 12, 2012
This is for the downloaded version of Civ 5, GOTY edition.

Add me to the list of people who purchased this game, downloaded the game, and registered it with Steam only to find that the CD key provided by Amazon has already been registered to another user.

I am pursuing this with Steam, as they seem to have a procedure for addressing this.

I can only guess that the algorithm used to generate the keys has been broken and people are registering these cracked keys, causing problems for legitimate purchasers such as myself.

Stay tuned as I update this review with my progress. If Steam fixes this situation, I will post it here. If not, I will also post that, as well as what Amazon does if I need to request a refund for this item.

Update #1. One day later, no response yet from Steam.

Update #2. Back and forth with Steam support. This takes 4 days. First they say that they do not support the purchase of used games. When I point out to them that I purchased a new one, they ask for all the purchase info/screenshots, which I included in the original support request. After receiving the purchase info, they say that they cannot help me despite their published policy and close my ticket.

Update #3. I call amazon for a refund. They offer me a new game key, which I am happy to accept. I try to register the second key, that also registers as a duplicate with Steam.

Update #4. On the phone with amazon again.
88 comments137 of 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
Received the game but the product code was not accepted. After 10 days and 5+ emails I gave up.
This product and process sucks.
0Comment46 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2012
The CD Key is a duplicate. It was a few days since I have played this game and decided to play again on the tenth of July. To my bewilderment my game disappeared. I got an error saying my key is a duplicate. I am in the middle of trying to get this resolved with Steam. DO NOT BUY.
11 comment34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
Let me start off by saying a huge CIV fan and was extremely excited to play this one. I just bought a new iMac that would also be running windows 7 through boot camp anyways I new my specs could more than handle the requirements needed to run this game so I went ahead and purchased the digital download of the game. Biggest mistake ever! After the download completed and I tried to open it I would get a invalid sum error and most people have recieved a product key code that's already been used. It would be worthy to note that the digital download is Mac - Snow Leopard only which I also didnt notice so if you were expecting it to be 10.6 or later too bad. If you like Steam platform I would recommend just buying it from them I did and got 75% off, it works great, no problems! 5 stars for the game and 1 for the amazon experience! Hope this helps
11 comment18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2012
What a waste of time and money. I should have read the other reviews. It took hours to download and in the end it doesn't work.
Why is amazon allowing this person to rip people off?
Very frustrated.
11 comment17 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2014
I FEEL RIPPED OFF. I CAN'T USE WHAT I PAID FOR. IT REQUIRES ME TO GO TO SOME OTHER WEBSITE OR SOMETHING TO STREAM THE GAME I GUESS. I JUST KNOW THAT WHEN I TRY IT TELLS ME THE INTERNET SITE IS DOWN. IT HAS BEEN SINCE I PAID FOR THE GAME. THERE IS NO NUMBER OR CONTACT THAT I CAN USE EITHER. I DON'T THINK I'LL BE BUYING AMAZON GAMES FOR THE MAC IF THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. CAN U HELP?
on July 5, 2012
Don't download this product!!! There is no question that Sid Meier's Civilization 5 is a 5 star gaming experience. So why the 1 star? Because after downloading and entering the key provided, I got an error message stating that 'the code you've entered has already been activated'. A phone call to Amazon got me nothing: 'No returns on downloads, sorry.' As you'll find by reading the reviews, I'm not the first with this problem. The game when downloaded is being handled by a company called 'Steam' which is some kind of intermediary code activation outfit. I've emailed them, so far no response. Meanwhile 50 BUCKS DOWN THE TUBE.
22 comments29 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
I am a long time fan of Civ III. When Civ IV came out I could never warm up to it.
This time its different, Civ V is much better than IV, game play is smoother, more like Civ III I think.
The online connection is a pain. It was difficult to get it to work in the beginning. This should be a 5* rating but the Steam nonsense knocks it down a peg for me.
on May 2, 2014
The game had a CD-key which had already been used in another account. Could not install the game because of that.
To contact the support is quite inconvenient.

Low quality of service. Dissatisfying.
Had to return.
on April 17, 2013
STEAM USERS: While this edition is labeled as a "Mac Download" the key they give you (as of 3/10/13) can be redeemed with Steam and used to download this game for Windows. You may notice that the price of this edition is somewhat cheaper than the Windows one.

This game is a fantastic turn based RTS game. You start with a group of settlers who can are used to start your initial city. From there you decide how to utilize the natural resources around you to build addtional cities and strengthen your pursuit of science, culture, military power, and diplomacy.

PLEASE NOTE: This edition does NOT contain the God's and King's expansion which reintroduces religion to the series.

Pros:
-Long lasting games that allow you to cover an entire world with your civilization
-Multiple ways to win each game (through diplomacy, war, science, or culture)
-Your military units gain levels and become more powerful with use
-Simple mechanics hide a more complex game that you'll discover as you become more familiar with the game
-Mod Support allows you to download additional mods to change how the game looks and even operates
-Turn based moves ensure you'll never be rushed for a move

Cons:
-Computer AI in diplomacy is terrible and unrealistic ('You want to trade for some fur every turn? Better give me half your empire's belongings in return!')
-A rather steep learning curve if you've never played any of the civ games before
-Modding community is rather small and hasn't seen the same love as Civ IV had (There's no fall further for this edition!)
-Without purchasing the additional expansion you won't be able to utilize the religion aspect of the game
-This game is a time sink, I've spent 20+ hours in one game and still haven't finished it