Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 7, 2011
In this wonderful book, Ron Gutman describes the big impact that the small act of smiling can have.

The captivating text weaves citations to scientific research from serious scholars around the world - from contemporary studies (from top institutions like Stanford University) to historic observations (dating back to Charles Darwin) - together with the author's personal narrative and contributions from people who sent the author their own anecdotes about smiling.

The author's journey of discovery about the positive impact smiling made in his life stands next to many surprising benefits of smiling that have been revealed through studies from leading universities and in academic publications from countries everywhere.

It's a compelling and joyful read, perfect both for those who are serious enough who want to know the content comes from real science, and for those who just want to learn more about something they already know can transform life for the better.

This is a great gift, both for yourself and for others, and a great reminder that the simplest things in life often make the greatest differences.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
I work as a Guest Services Director and I also happen to adore Ted Talks. Naturally, I was drawn to this book. Something I always tell new team members is "if all else fails, smile." I purchased this book with the idea that it would make a great gift for my team to hammer home the importance of smiling. Its a short read and what I like most about it was that it uses a fair mix of scientific research and personal stories. It does not simply focus on science, however. It also uses examples from several religions and cultures to show that no matter who you are or what your background is, smiling is an important way of life. In fact, one chapter mentioned Darwin, Christianity, Buddhism, and Muslims, all within a paragraph or two. I enjoyed the diversity of examples.

I do not think I will end up purchasing this for my entire team, however. Instead, I will probably highlight the main points in a discussion. A better book for a book study or book club, in my opinion, is Be Our Guest, by Disney Institute because it gives better application. "Smile" is a great little thought experiement though, and I enjoyed the read.
on December 12, 2011
This is a very enjoyable book and I began smiling almost as soon as I began reading it. I loved the author's description of his travels in the bus in Zambia and how his smile enabled him to connect with people. The book is a comfortable mix of personal anecdote and scientific and historical information, interspersed with pictures of smiling people. I learned some new things (which is always pleasurable) and was reminded of other things I knew but had forgotten. I would love to find a print copy of the book to offer to friends who do not have Kindles.
on December 19, 2011
What a powerful little book!

I've seen Ron Gutman's smile at the end of a hard day transform the moment. In this little gem, he shares the secrets of how and why smiles light up our own lives and those around us, making us all happier, healthier and more connected. His tips and tricks alone are worth the read. And his suggestion of having my own Dandelion List is one of my favorite gifts of the year.
on January 27, 2012
This book was great! It was so nice to read about positivity and how easy it is to send it out into the world!

I wanted to play a drinking game with this book and take a drink every time I read the word "Smile", but I quickly decided against that :P

Having studied Communication in uni, I was very interested in several parts of this book. I especially loved when Mr. Gutman went into detail about different cultures and how they smile and what a "true" smile consists of.

Sometimes the book got kind of repetitive in its message, but I think that it really hammered the point home - smiling benefits everyone! This was a great read!
on October 28, 2012
This book will definitely remind you that simple things and even gestures can turn your bad days into something better. It's true that a simple smile can wash away bad vibrations in your system and even ease up some pain in emotions. Definitely a fine read specially with way it was conceptualized wherein stories of adventures and meeting different people makes it all the more informative. With the book I also read How To Be Happy: Cheer Up! (Positive Thinking Series) where it teaches us how to enjoy life, keeps this book in tune and makes a positive outlook while reading them.
on January 8, 2012
No cost, no monetary investment, easy to do, makes you look stunning, (better than plastic surgery) attracts people to you, improves your health daily.Excellent way to make yourself happier and the WORLD a better place! WHY NOT JUST DO IT?
on December 5, 2012
Mr. Gutman tells why Everybody Needs to SMILE. Simple words. Simple Act. Great and Lasting Benefits for the one who smiles and the person who receives the smile. Don't miss it!
on August 29, 2013
This mini-book / extended essay is a simple as its subject and almost as beautiful. It is a very quick read. It makes its case. It made me smile. It grew my smile, deepened my smile and broadened my smile. The pictures and illustrations contributed greatly and they reinforced the simple but profound points of the book.

Gutman reaches back to Darwin, the Bible and Mohamed and forward to describing recent research using the tools of 21st century science to show folly of underestimating the power of the simple smile.

The book fell seriously short on only one point for me. It describes many research results but does not provide clear references to the modern research. It thus provides readers who wish to understand this research more clearly or who wish to follow the future work of these researchers with few resources to do so. Perhaps a revised version will provide references. That's not that big a deal. Most people won't care.

Otherwise, the book is well written, though slightly repetitive at points. Don't let this or the lack of references stop you from reading it or buying it for a friend.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2015
You can read this book in an hour or two. It may take quite a bit longer to incorporate the lessons taught here into your life. But it's worth it.
I think of myself as a happy person. Sure, I've had my share of unfortunate and difficult circumstances. And I've got my own demons to battle. But overall, I'm happy.
Then I started following just one little piece of advice from this book - the first thing in the morning smile until you feel happy.
I quickly discovered that my mind wanted to start prepping for my day. Smiling wasn't in the picture. Planning, solving problems (real or imagined), and figure things out were my default activities. But I kept working my way back to a simple smile.
I noticed my days were going smoother and with less stress. That's a result that most people would pay a lot to get. It's here for the price of this book plus a few hours of reading. And the determination to actually try what he's suggesting and see how it works for you.
Thanks, Ron, for doing the work and writing this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse