Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on December 7, 2011
In this wonderful book, Ron Gutman describes the big impact that the small act of smiling can have.

The captivating text weaves citations to scientific research from serious scholars around the world - from contemporary studies (from top institutions like Stanford University) to historic observations (dating back to Charles Darwin) - together with the author's personal narrative and contributions from people who sent the author their own anecdotes about smiling.

The author's journey of discovery about the positive impact smiling made in his life stands next to many surprising benefits of smiling that have been revealed through studies from leading universities and in academic publications from countries everywhere.

It's a compelling and joyful read, perfect both for those who are serious enough who want to know the content comes from real science, and for those who just want to learn more about something they already know can transform life for the better.

This is a great gift, both for yourself and for others, and a great reminder that the simplest things in life often make the greatest differences.
on December 12, 2011
This is a very enjoyable book and I began smiling almost as soon as I began reading it. I loved the author's description of his travels in the bus in Zambia and how his smile enabled him to connect with people. The book is a comfortable mix of personal anecdote and scientific and historical information, interspersed with pictures of smiling people. I learned some new things (which is always pleasurable) and was reminded of other things I knew but had forgotten. I would love to find a print copy of the book to offer to friends who do not have Kindles.
on December 10, 2011
I work as a Guest Services Director and I also happen to adore Ted Talks. Naturally, I was drawn to this book. Something I always tell new team members is "if all else fails, smile." I purchased this book with the idea that it would make a great gift for my team to hammer home the importance of smiling. Its a short read and what I like most about it was that it uses a fair mix of scientific research and personal stories. It does not simply focus on science, however. It also uses examples from several religions and cultures to show that no matter who you are or what your background is, smiling is an important way of life. In fact, one chapter mentioned Darwin, Christianity, Buddhism, and Muslims, all within a paragraph or two. I enjoyed the diversity of examples.

I do not think I will end up purchasing this for my entire team, however. Instead, I will probably highlight the main points in a discussion. A better book for a book study or book club, in my opinion, is Be Our Guest, by Disney Institute because it gives better application. "Smile" is a great little thought experiement though, and I enjoyed the read.
on September 20, 2015
You can read this book in an hour or two. It may take quite a bit longer to incorporate the lessons taught here into your life. But it's worth it.
I think of myself as a happy person. Sure, I've had my share of unfortunate and difficult circumstances. And I've got my own demons to battle. But overall, I'm happy.
Then I started following just one little piece of advice from this book - the first thing in the morning smile until you feel happy.
I quickly discovered that my mind wanted to start prepping for my day. Smiling wasn't in the picture. Planning, solving problems (real or imagined), and figure things out were my default activities. But I kept working my way back to a simple smile.
I noticed my days were going smoother and with less stress. That's a result that most people would pay a lot to get. It's here for the price of this book plus a few hours of reading. And the determination to actually try what he's suggesting and see how it works for you.
Thanks, Ron, for doing the work and writing this book.
on December 1, 2013
It's a marvelous feedback loop: Smile and you look and feel good, others see you smile and automatically respond, and they also look and feel good, and you feel even better because of their smiles. Just as smiling makes you happy, it makes others happy as well, and the ripples of happiness spread outward.

I enjoyed the book very much. It was well written, had great photos (smiles, of course) to illustrate points made, and was short enough to read in just a few hours. It left me smiling, and determined to smile more often. Worth reading.
on November 6, 2012
I enjoyed Smile. Every time that I sat down to read for a bit I found myself smiling along with it, and enjoyed that day so much afterward that I intend rather soon to get back to reading it again.

It is as much as story of the author's life as it is a book about smiling. The insights into how he explores the world, using smiling to communicate, paint a lovely picture of travel worldwide.

Smile is a book with a lot of anecdotal reasons to smile, with excellent photos that show up well on my Kindle Keyboard, and excellent formatting that makes it an easy read through and through.

In all, I enjoyed it and highly recommend.
on December 19, 2011
What a powerful little book!

I've seen Ron Gutman's smile at the end of a hard day transform the moment. In this little gem, he shares the secrets of how and why smiles light up our own lives and those around us, making us all happier, healthier and more connected. His tips and tricks alone are worth the read. And his suggestion of having my own Dandelion List is one of my favorite gifts of the year.
on January 26, 2013
I'm sorry, but having always been known for my smile, I guess I found this book too elemental. Other than the author taking me to foriegn lands where I have not been, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. ~ That smiling is a "language" that most humans, & even, I believe, many animals understand. Maybe I should have "stuck with it" longer, but I wanted to go on to something I didn't already know.
on January 27, 2012
This book was great! It was so nice to read about positivity and how easy it is to send it out into the world!

I wanted to play a drinking game with this book and take a drink every time I read the word "Smile", but I quickly decided against that :P

Having studied Communication in uni, I was very interested in several parts of this book. I especially loved when Mr. Gutman went into detail about different cultures and how they smile and what a "true" smile consists of.

Sometimes the book got kind of repetitive in its message, but I think that it really hammered the point home - smiling benefits everyone! This was a great read!
A good compilation on thoughts about Smiling. Not just cultural differences, but how it is so important to how we are perceived by others. Smiles are contagious, pass them on... It is good for everyone's health if they are open and honest.

I wish I could give a copy of this to everyone I know. :)