Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chief
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

• Chief
  • Customer Reviews

Format: MP3 Music|Change

on July 26, 2011
"Chief" is Eric Church's 3rd studio album and picks up right where he left off with 2009's "Carolina." Church is the master at writing country music that rocks, and his music is the epitome of what every country singer should strive for: great songs, good musicianship, and great lyrics that make you want to sing and dance, have fun, or lament over a broken heart. "Creepin'" is the album's first track and is aptly named. It starts off from a seemingly far away distance and then creeps into a honky-tonk roar. The arrangement and delivery of the song are as unique as it is fun. "Drink In My Hand" can easily become an anthem for any guy looking for a fun night out on the town. "Keep On" features some rock and roll guitar licks that will raise the hairs on the back on your neck. "Homeboy" is the first single from the album and tells the story of someone pleading with his brother to turn away from trouble and get his life back on track. The lyrics are deep and meaningful as well as catchy and melodic. "Springsteen" amazingly captures the sound of the person it's named after without coming off as a rip off of The Boss' sound. What sets Church apart from other country singers is his not only his voice, but his passion and delivery. This man sings with passion and you can FEEL it. If you're a fan of this genre of music and haven't listened to Eric Church then you're missing something! Highly recommended!
on August 24, 2011
Eric Church has never been shy about breaking the boundaries of country music. He doesn't mind a few odd eclectic instruments, and a really loud guitar. This release shifts him into a whole new gear. This CD is loud, rocking, and very personal. I dont know what I was expecting with this album, but I was apprehensive in light of the interviews Eric did before it's release. He said he was going to shake things up, and really change the style he and his fans were used to. Well, I cant say he was wrong, but if you know Eric's previous releases, you really shouldn't expect anything less than what you get here. The album is a step above the others, but it's without a doubt, 100% Eric Church.
From the down-tuned but hard rockin' album opener, Creepin', to the limit pushing radio single Homeboy, and everything in between, Eric shows us that he can be a rock-star and a pure, down home Country singer at the same time. Falshes of Kid Rock and Bruce Springsteen, along with influences of Hank Jr. and George Strait. A perfect mix of loud guitars, deep, dark vocals, and bar-room burners. This album will turn off a lot of neo-traditional country fans, but even as a Strait, Jackson, and LeDoux fan, I'm open minded, and that's what it takes to fall in love with this album. The best Eric Church has offered, and one of the best albums of 2011 so far.
on May 3, 2012
Most uplifting real feeling album in years. Takes you back to places you once knew and at the same time makes you want to go to new places and stand up for who you are. Eric Church is right down home singning these songs with expierence and feeling.
VINE VOICEon August 3, 2012
Eric Church is a real find. He may have recorded 'Sinners Like Me,' but I'm the one who has to repent for shrugging and turning away when he came to play at The Western Idaho State Fair.

Eric Church takes all the familiar subjects: frustrations with work, the joys and regrets of booze, and the hopes and dreams of Americans, and apply them like he invented them himself. Indeed, musically and lyrically he does invigorate country music as definitively as any artist you can think of.

His songs of redemption are mostly secular, but who can't relate? Most of the lyrics are about recovery from a woman or work or both, but "Jack Daniels," "Hungover & Hard Up," "I'm Gettin' Stoned," and (my favorite) "Drink in My Hand" all look to liquor as the remedy (and the lingering curse) for what ails you.

When he does get reverent, he looks for icons that trace their roots to his religion. For the hope of Johnny Cash's replacement he sings "Country Music Jesus," and to be inclusive (and further broaden the borders of his already varied selections) his popular tribute to "Springsteen" should fill arenas just like our hero. Then, for the woman in his life, he finds she loves him "Like Jesus Does".

Just when you think he can't get any more resourceful from a few simple, yet solid ideas, "Creepin'" and "Keep On" add more struggle and revitalize music even further. "Home Boy" is as close to a message song as the C.D. contains. Without sounding preachy, he coaxes a younger "Home Boy" to do come back home and enjoy the simpler pleasures in life.

The subject matter is inspired, but while he keeps it all admirably neat, he also manages to come up with an album without a weak track in the bunch.
on February 15, 2012
Eric Church "Chief" #1 (2011).

3rd album by this North Carolina singer-songwriter Eric Church. "Chief", is a pure country-rock classic! I'm not a country listener, love my rock and roll (70's rock and some recent rockers Gaslight Anthem, but Eric too me is one of the best talents out there. "Sinners Like Me" (2006) is great, "Carolina" (2009), is just a tad below, but still a great listen, but let's get back to "Chief", you get the rocking' "Creepin'", should be a big hit in the near future, great dobro guitar on this track. His first #1 and #40 hot 100 hit "Drink In My Hand", a solid party anthem. "Keep On", a fantastic southern rocker, has kind of a Allman Brothers feel to it. The beautiful smooth "Like Jesus Does", "I'm a long gone Waylon song on vinyl". "Hungover And Hard Up", very good melodic piece, great lyrics. The single "Homeboy" #13, about a brother gone bad in the big city, and his other brother wanting him to come back to his small town, tremendous tune! "Country Music Jesus", slow building rocker, nice guitar, banjo piece, a church hymn (pardon the pun). "Jack Daniels", I used to love this drink in my early 20's, but things happened to make me quit the stuff (thank goodness)
"Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night". "Springsteen", his 3rd single from "Chief", I'm getting tired of are local country station 93.7 from Salina, Kansas, not playing this song, just another top number about teenage memories and such, this song should be top 5, but with stupid programming people running radio stations, it'll probably only make top 20, "Like A soundtrack to a July Saturday Night". "I'm Getting Stoned", you can figure out the message, good old smokin' number. "Over When It's Over", ends this disc with a great melodic rock tune, some fine lyrics, "It's a blank page when your outta words". The loss to Lady Antebellum at the grammy's was just wrong, his album totally kicks Lady A's butt! Another fine production by Jay Joyce. 40 minutes of pure bliss.
on September 22, 2013
I've been a big country music fan for the past 5 years or so. That being said, when I've heard Eric Church songs on the radio, I was never all that impressed, although I thought most of the songs were "good." This past summer I had the opportunity of seeing him live in concert, and he put on a really great, energic set. Because of how engaged the audience was and how he connected with everyone, I decided to give his music another chance. This time I wanted to go beyond his radio singles and actually listen to the full album.

"Chief" really surprised me. Some of the songs didn't resonate with me at first, such as "Creepin'," but after listening to every song from start to finish a few times, I realized I was humming or singing along to most of the songs. One of my biggest gripes with the country music genre is that there are a fair number of extremely cheesy tracks on almost every album. One of the reasons that I enjoy this Eric Church album so much (the same reason I like Darius Rucker's newest album) is that most of the songs feel geniune, and they aren't very cheesy or cringe-worthy.

If you're interested in this album at all, you first have to ask yourself if you like Church's style and voice. If you're ok with those, then you should definitely give this album a try, you might be surprised by the number of quality songs on here.

Standout Tracks: Springsteen, Over When It's Over, Jack Daniels, Homeboy, well...most of the songs honestly.
on September 14, 2013
This is one of those rare albums that you buy, that doesn't have a bad song on it! Maybe it's because the artist, Eric Church, has wrote or co-wrote every song on here. True artists, like this great talent (and another example, Toby Keith) usually get a bad rap in Nashville, (I was born & raised here) because they sing their own songs & don't compromise their music. It often makes the climb a little slower, but Hell eventually the cream rises to the top! I personally think it gives their music that raw edginess that is REAL versus the bubblegum commercial pop crap that is pumped out in a continual stream by the so called "Music City Machine" powers that be. A lot of industry people get pissed off & shun these rebels but all I can say is DAMN THEY ARE GOOD!!! SO BOY'S KEEP MAKING THE GREAT MUSIC & LET EM "KEEP ON, KEEP ON, KEEP ON LOOKING AT YOU THAT WAY!"
on July 21, 2013
Rarely do you find a musical album where every song is good, no, great! This is one such album in the same class as Fleetwood Mac Rumors and quite a few others. The Home Boy song is totally awesome along with the Springsteen song.
on August 29, 2013
Eric Church puts it all out there in this CD! The only thing better is watching him perform the songs in concert! Things are getting better & better for Eric! Every song on this CD is good....Great CD!
on July 30, 2013
I have never cared for country music; that is until I met my neighbors 4 year old boy. He has practically all Eric's songs memorized and sings them regularly; so I bought the album and love it. Good artist!