Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 25, 2013
Jake and the Neverland Pirates is not a series just for Boys. Both of my girls (ages 3 and 5) love it. They run around the house pretending to be pirate princesses and all the other characters all the time. They also love all the toys.

Hook's Adventure Rock is a must have companion to use with other Jake toys. While it may not be a great stand-alone toy, it goes great with the Jake Pirate Ships. It seems fairly sturdy so far, but I do have some concerns about long-term durability of the crane and rope. Either way, so far it is super fun for my girls. It also accommodates extra Jake characters that my girls have collected (or Doc McStuffins, or Strawberry Shortcake, or whoever else wants to play along). It comes with Captain Hook and it has a two trap doors, including one over Tick Tock Croc who is waiting to chomp. The trap doors are easy set and trigger for little kids. It also has a water cannon that is fun and easy to use, but not too dangerous as many projectile toys have been in the past. It is also nice that the water ball projectiles are compatible with all the other cannons on the other Jake toys. There are also plenty of little plastic pegs that go in holes on each characters foot to keep them in place in various parts of the island. The extra water balls also store neatly right inside. These little features all make for a nice design.

The most amazing part about all the Jake toys is how much my girls love playing with them. The toys keep them entertained for long periods of time. They are the only toys that will keep our 3-year-old out of our hair so we can get a much needed break.

As I mentioned before, the only negative thing I can say about Hook's Adventure Rock are concerns about long-term durability of the crane and rope. It is showing some white stress marks at the top of the red rope where the plastic has flexed a little too much, probably from being dragged around by the rope. All that being said, the kids love it.

Long story short, Jake toys are lifesavers in our house by giving our girls hours of fun. We buy all the Jake toys and this one is a must have, especially to battle with Jake's Pirate Ship Bucky. Five Stars! Highly Recommended!

Here are links to the other Jake toys that we have purchased:
Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky - http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PFE58NJ7J74E/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Hook's Jolly Roger Pirate Ship - http://www.amazon.com/review/R1T0I8UVT5GK4Z/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Skull Island - http://www.amazon.com/review/R3QZHEH4747U0M/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

=========================

QUICK UPDATE (05/06/2013):
We have had Hook's Adventure Rock for several months now and I wanted to give a quick update about the durability. I mentioned in my previous review that I had some concerns about the durability of the red rope on the crane. So far, the rope is still holding up just fine. It still has the white stress marks from being flexed, but they have not gotten any worse and everything is still in once piece. So far, so good. Quality seems like it is good and the fun value is still very high. Still Highly Recommended!
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2012
My 2.5 and 4.5 year old boys love this. I also purchased the Bucky ship so they each have something to play with and there's (virtually) no fighting. I am not a fan of guns/cannons/swords. This comes with a water cannon, so I guess the water aspect makes it a little better than pretending to blow up things. I do wish these playsets either came with more figures, none at all, or that each figure was sold seperately instead of sets of 3. It is frustrating that when you buy the additional figures (to get Cubby and Izzy etc.) you end up with 2 Jakes or 2 Captain Hooks depending on which playsets you may own already.
on November 11, 2012
The five children I babysit every day, from ages 2-5, simply love Jake and the Neverland Pirates, watching it daily on TV. While looking through a magazine of toys, one of the kids pointed to this and said how much he wanted it. The toy has been a hit with ALL five of them.......they have other related products in the series, so it fit in well with their tastes in toys.
on July 20, 2014
what kid under age 5 doesn't like jake? i haven't found one yet. i bought this because 1. my kids love jake. and 2. because fisher price always makes quality toys. and this one is no exception. i love all the little things you can do with it to create your own jake adventure. the kids really get a lot of mileage out of it because they can swing the little hook back and forth. we have extra jake figurines to add to the fun. i highly recommend it for any jake fan. you cant' go wrong with fisher price quality. i'm very happy with my purchase.
on January 23, 2013
It doesn't do much. My 4 and 2 yr old don't even know what to do with it - you can put hook on the anchor and move it around, but that's about it. For the price I'd expect it to have more functionality.
on January 7, 2014
We have a few of these types of toys (bat caves etc..) and this one has the least going for it. It does less than I thought it would and the temptation for my 3yr old is to pick it up by the red rope and carry it around is great, which means it is now on the verge of breaking after 2 weeks. We also got Jake's boat to go with it so he got more characters with that and all together they make a great toy to play with but alone I would say this is not enough to entertain.
on April 12, 2013
My little guy, age 3 1/2, loves Jake and the Never Land Pirates. He watches the cartoon, he imagines himself as a member of Jake's pirate crew... he even wants to plan a party for Jake's next birthday! So he's definitely a big fan. He's had the musical Bucky ship (also from Fisher Price) for a while now, and Bucky still gets regular play in his rotation of toys. So a few months back, we bought Hook's Adventure Rock to go along with his other Jake toys.

THE GOOD:
It may sound a bit strange, but this pirate-themed playset is actually quite cute. Some pirate toys are a little intimidating to a little kid, with scowling, angry, dangerous-looking pirate brutes. But in the Jake series, Captain Hook is more bumbling than menacing. So this Hook's-face-shaped rock looks fun instead of frightening. There are a few interactive aspects to the playset, and my son can march his little Captain Hook figure around and over it for a while, playing with the different parts. It isn't an enormous playset, so it doesn't take up much space, but it keeps him entertained and gives him an outlet for his pirate-y imaginings! He has a lot of fun with this toy.

THE BAD:
While we haven't had any durability problems yet, parts of the playset are less than completely sturdy. My son, who isn't particularly rough on his toys (but is an active, energetic little boy), has been complaining that the hook part has gotten bent out of shape through his play. I can't straighten it back out completely, and this frustrates him. And for some people, one of the things I feel is a pro (the simplicity of the playset) could seem like more of a con. While it doesn't take up much floor space, with only a few ways to interact with this, it does have limited use. There's only so much to do, so some little ones, especially those who aren't big pirate/Jake fans, may tire of it quicker than my son typically does.

Overall, the Hook's Adventure Rock playset was a good choice for my little pirate prince. He has a blast playing with it, and that's really what matters around here!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 14, 2013
Disney Junior's Jake and the Never Land Pirates is one of the most popular shows for both boys and hurls under the age of 7. Jake and his pirate crew perform good deeds whiel often foiling the plans of the verbally challenged Captain Hook. Our 4 year old daughter loves the show (It even beats out "peppa pig" , "Peter Rabbit" , and "Doc McStuffins" ...although I think she prefers Sofia the First). As parents we appreciate that the show never has a cringe worthy moment (no inappropriate words for preschoolers) and that it promotes friendship and teamwork.

Notes

- Comes with a Captain Hook figurine.

- Includes a pirates flag, and water cannon and three water shots. The water cannon has a surprisingly powerful shot and can fire across a room. Make sure that it is never pointed towards anyone's face.

- Turning the pirate wheel causes the Adventure Rock to move its face and move the gate in a bit of a scary fashion.

- Has a rope that Captain Hook can slide down

- Has two trap doors - one of them opens up to tic-toc-croc who is ready to chomp down on the poor victim.

Final verdict - While the Captain Hook's Adventure Rock may not be a great toy by itself it does make a nice compliment to other Jake and the Never Land Pirates toys - such as Jake's Musical Bucky Ship. it is fun for any fan of Jake and the Never Land Pirates.

4 Stars
on January 27, 2013
I purchased this for my 5 year old for his birthday. We initially were afraid to purchase since we were afraid it might break easily as history shows that toys aren't quite made as well as they used to be. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. My son loves "shooting" everything and can be a little rough sometimes (as all kids are) and I have yet to have to fix anything on it. The Fisher-Price Disney's Jake and The Never Land Pirates: Hook's Adventure Rock is a great toy for a 4/5 year old boy. My son plays with it everyday or every other day.

The product is not flimsy and has a strong base so it does not tip over. It has two trap doors, one leading to a slide and the other to the "Croc". It includes a "canon" that shoots projectiles (3 included). The "crows nest" look-out raises up and the connecting "line and hook" can rotate.

Overall a fun toy, at the right price.

Update November 5,2013:

Nothing broken, and my son still enjoys it, my youngest boys also love playing with it too. still 5 stars
on June 28, 2013
These Jake and the Neverland Pirate toys are exciting. They look so pretty in their box, the grab your attention as you walk by them in the store, the characters are familiar from the program, and the playsets look like they have a lot of potential. For some reason, it never works out like it should.

This playset brings a Captain Hook figurine, and I already had the Jake, Izzy, and Cubby figurines to go with it. The playset itself has the moving face, the rocking boat at the top where you can place your figures, the two trap doors, the tick-tock crock that you can make chomp, the neat little stairs, and even a shooting cannon. Sounds like it would be a blast, right? But, for some reason, my son only played with it on the day it came out of the box, and never again. His cousin received the Peter Pan Skull Island playset on the same day, and they played together with it then, but not again. As neat as these toys seem to be, I wish they could maintain the interest of the kids more.