TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 27, 2012
[NOTE: This replaced the AOL "Play" music player as Amazon's FAotD, which met a premature-yet-deserved demise.]

This is an interesting hybrid puzzle game, and at least isn't trying to take money directly inside the game.

The game is something akin to what you'd find if Sudoku and Scrabble had a baby. It is a nice time-killer and brain exerciser.

Now for the bad news:

* You don't get the full game unless you allow it to access your Facebook account AND you post your scores to FB. Obviously, if you don't use Facebook / don't have an account, then you can't get the additional levels.

* Do you REALLY want external apps to have access to your Facebook account?

* Network Access. Yes, I understand that parts of the game are enhanced by internet access. I want this app to ASK FIRST before accessing the network. Personally, I have no interest in those features.

* This is NOT a $5 application. Sorry, maybe $2.99, but that's as far as I'd ever go for this app, and that's with ALL the levels. Just my humble opinion.

[EDIT: corrected name of AOL's music player. I had incorrectly identified it as AOL Radio.]
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2013
First off, the game description is that this is a new kind of crossword style of game. But, let me be clear, this is the game of CODEWORDS, which has been around for a very long time. I get 10-15 variety word puzzle games that can be found in just about every checkout around the world (popular publishers are PennyPress and Dell). So, I think it is safe to say that I have played this enough to know this isn't any kind of "new" game these devs have come up with on their own. Basically you are given what would look like a completed crossword puzzle, but any shared letters of words are deleted and you need to figure out what those are. you are not given any clues. let me also tell you that there are two different types of Codeword. one being that you use each letter once, and only once (so there are only 26 blank squares to fill in). another version is, obviously, each letter can be used in more than one location (in this version each letter corresponds with a number which is placed in the square so you can more easily figure out what letter to use where). This game if the first of those two versions.

Now, on to the review of the game. it starts out by letting you pick between 4 difficulty modes, ranging from 30-60 games in each mode. after playing the first game you are asked if you want to unlock a "free bonus puzzle" by posting your score to facebook. you have the option of clicking yes or no and also include with your answer to not be asked this again (which I certainly chose, because seriously who wants to spam all your friends with a stupid word puzzle score). you can change the settings by clicking on your devices menu/options icon (I'm using the kindle fire hd, so for me I had to click on the middle icon that is commonly described as the "notebook paper" icon). The first option is to NEVER post to facebook, next you can hide completed puzzles, show timer, or change colors in the game. the settings seem to be backwards. for example, with the first one titled "use facebook?" it says "never offer to post scores and achievements", but after I clicked that setting I was still asked about posting my score when I finished my next game. I once again clicked to never be asked that again, and when going back to settings the option was unclicked. so what the settings seem to be is the title is a question and the answer to that question is to click it for "yes" and leave it blank for "no". I hope that makes sense and helps at least some. if you need help during a game you have two options. the first is the "hint" button which gives you the answer to a specific square (with a 30 second penalty if you care about the score and/or timer). the second option is to click "audit" which will show you any correct choices you've made so far (also with a timing penalty of 1 minute).

That's it for the game. a pretty basic word game normally called codewords. no "bells or whistles" to make this stand out from any other of the many codeword games on the market. instead you get the annoyance of the option to spam your facebook friends and the constant option to buy more games in the "new and unique series of word games"
on August 12, 2012
Edit: Since this has come up as a free app of the day, I'm inspired to do an update.

The facebook integration I complained about did indeed get fixed, so now I can just enjoy the game without aggravation. And I've definitely been enjoying it! I'm still periodically working my way through the last few puzzles and replaying old ones I've forgotten, and I'm still enjoying the game. It's one of few game apps that's stayed on my phone for a full year. Even Angry Birds went by the wayside before this one did. So between that unexpected longevity and the improvements made since my first review, I'm upping my review to 5 stars.

Original review below:

I got this expecting something more like a crossword puzzle, but in this game you don't get clues other than a set of pre-placed letters. You fill in a set of A-Z letters to make a valid crossword with valid words. It's pretty fun, although it may be even more challenging for crossword afficionados since here knowing a bunch of obscure words just makes it harder (I am forever reminding myself that I need to choose the obvious words for each puzzle!).

The one thing I don't like about this is the facebook integration. It pops up a message asking me to post a score every time I complete a puzzle, but even when I decided I liked the game enough to say yes and let it post once in exchange for a puzzle, the darned thing timed out and wouldn't work. Frustrating! I've tried a few times since but it just doesn't work.

I'm not sure it's really worth $5 when I've had comparably fun games for $2.99 or even $.99, but it's definitely fun and worth a shot if you can get a better price somehow.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2012
Fun and difficult game. Get rid of the facebook nagging and you get a 5. I hate posting crap to facebook, this bugs me. Fix it.

Found out you can disable facebook. This should be default behavior, or ask me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2013
The free app of the day from the Amazon App Store for July 16, 2013 is Unolingo: Crosswords Without Clues from Equazi Enterprises LLC.

This is like the 4th repeat free app of the day in 2013 from the Amazon Free App of the Day promotion not counting their greatest hits giveaways. I got this back on 7/26/2012 when it was the replacement free app for the AOL music app that day. I have not reviewed this app yet, so I am actually reviewing this app for the first time despite owning this app for almost a year now.

This is basically a series of puzzles in a crossword puzzle type format with certain letters already placed on the board. The objective of this game is that each of the 26 letters of the English alphabet are to be placed in the blank squares in the correct spaces so that they all spell real English words in this crossword layout both horizontally and vertically.

The app maker added 2 nice features here. They added a feature called Audit to let you know if any of the letters you have already placed on the board are in the incorrect spots and they also have a Hint option which allows you to pick one of the blank squares and be told which letter is the correct letter for that spot. The use of either of those 2 features will increase your time to make the game much more fair to those who like to play against other people who don't like to use the help features.

The only negatives about this app in my opinion is the high price of the app ($4.99) and the lack of additional puzzles being added into the main app. This publisher does offer a free bonus puzzle either through sending Facebook comments about the game to other people or you can buy up to 6 separate puzzle packs which are $4.99 each.

I debated whether to give this a 4 or 5 star rating since I can't give this game a 4.5 rating like I really wanted to. It seems a little unfair to deduct a star for just having a high price. But after looking at the other Amazon app pages for the Unolingo 2-6 packs, I got the impression that these are actually separate apps which do not add the puzzles to the main app which would likely mean that this app will not contain significantly more puzzles in any future updates for this app. That is the main reason why I chose the 4 star over the 5 star rating.
on July 28, 2012
it seems like this game is sending ads to my notification menu... if I want an item I'll find it on Google.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2013
Why a developer insists that we all join FB for full access is beyond me. The game would be pretty good if it did not have the strong FB ties. Join the Winklevie and get Scrabble...
on August 26, 2012
I like this game. It was an interresting twist. However... The latest update nerds phone state and identity. No reason for identity!
on January 16, 2013
I actually bought this app for my mom who loves word puzzles. She absolutely loves it! Whenever she is on my Kindle, Unolingo is the game she wants to play.

However, all the pop-ups about posting the scores on Facebook becomes annoying after sometime. (Especially when you don't even have an account)

When they get rid of the continuous Facebook pop-ups, I will be more than willing to give the game a 5 star rating.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 16, 2013
This is supposed to be a full version and the normal price of this is $5? Uh huh. Whatever. Yet, if you want any one of the six or so extra puzzle packs they will ALSO cost you $5 each. That is pretty ridiculous on its face.

Now for my second point: While you CAN turn off facebook nagging in the settings, it's ridiculous that it is on by default. I am a fan of puzzle games and brain teasers and I've seen this type of game many many times before. This game isn't all that and it is not as unique as they claim it to be.

But having to pay $5 each for the extra puzzle packs would mean that it would cost somewhere between 30 and 50 dollars to get all the puzzles? Are they insane? So I think I am being generous when I rate this game at 3 stars because while the game is pretty good for what it is, we all know that this type of game tends to draw a more geriactric crowd. I think that the developers are trying to take advantage of this. It is a target audience of people that tend to get taken advantage of, so in that regard I don't think that this developer's all that honest or in possession of a conscience. If anything they seem greedy and there is absolutely no reason for them to be charging this much money for this game and especially the add on puzzle packs which should not be extra in the first place.

I cannot in good conscience give it a higher rating than three stars because the game is average and the pricing is absolutely atrocious. I subtracted one star for each of my negative points. I think at 3 stars I am being generous.

I have played this game many times in the past. I've played it on paper. I solved about 7 of the puzzles of this version also. The game doesn't suck. It's just not worth the money and its not even worth free on principle if you have to buy more packs and get nagged by Facebook (unless you figure out how to turn that off and frankly that would probably trip up most of this games target audience to be fair. Why not make Facebook integration Opt-IN and the people who want to be "social" with this app can easily figure out how to do so since they are probably the FarmVille typeset tell all of their fake friends what games they're playing all the time anyway as if we cared). There's better stuff out there in this genre and I don't think that these developers deserve our money due to their strategy of trying to milk their customers at prices that are way way above the Android norm. They just strike me as being a little bit too greedy. I just cannot justify rewarding them more for that.