Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on May 21, 2012
Pros: Colors, Resolution, Sharpness, Widgets
Cons: Gloss(for bright rooms), $$..should be less

I recently just got this and to be honest this is a downgrade since I have an XBR in the bedroom (small 32 inch) but just perfect for my living room.
This tv is exceptionally excellent with a sleek look that makes your living room so modern :D I am impressed on how the internet and widget tools are easily installed. Pretty easy and with Sony it already has Sony apps to rent/buy movies and it is also easy to setup for the ps3.
The picture quality is amazing. Obviously the XBR is much better but to be honest I can hardly tell that much difference.

The only drawback is the gloss and shadow if you have a bright room. Luckily my LR is pretty dark so its perfect with no flaw. If you like sports this tv is insane.

If you have a surround system it must be 5.1+ because it wont take white/red conponents for your basic speakers, needs to be optical if not you can always put it in headphones....

This has 4 hdmis and really light to lift.

If you can afford the price (should be 1200 imo) its an excellent sony tv that has more equal power than other competitors (LGs HD Cinema-Panasonic-Samsung-Sharp Quattro).
on May 1, 2012
Was going for a HX929 but the price increase pushed it out of budget and I settled for HX750.
This is a decent TV and I found cnet review mostly right. Colours are too good. Watching NGC and Discovery HD is really a treat. Blacks are really black like an other reviewer noted and its incredibly good. Downside is lost shadow detail. Shadow detail is not less, it simply is gone. Dark areas of picture appear totally black with nothing in detail or texture whatsoever. Motion judder is noticeable in standard and smooth modes (which are the ones recommended for regular use). I had compared this one side-by-side with HX 9 series and the latter humbled this at contrast and depth. HX 929 is still probably the best bet. But I felt the difference in picture doesn't justify the huge premium for 9 series.

Overall, it might be a good TV, but overpriced for what it gives.

**Update**
I now painfully learn that what sony says in specs *youtube*, etc widgets have a fine print. That not the same youtube you would find in your browser. Its a server of videos from youtube, converted and reuploaded so that the TVs can play it. The regular browser cannot play even a single video on any website. Sony's explanation is that flash is not supported. This implies you cannot watch youtube live videos. Alas!
Its now been 50 days of usage and the unit is running absolutely fine.
on March 23, 2013
Please read my update below. I originally gave this TV 4 stars but now just 2.:

I wrote the review below back in 2013 and it was a good TV then. However the Sony Company as of April 20, 2015 decided to end it's contract with the ROVI company which provided the Electronic Online TV Guide service. It no longer works and will not work again. This built in feature is now dead! This service was integrated into the menus, the remote control, clock/time setting and information display for broadcasts. This business decision by Sony has left us owners of these sets angry for the removal of a major function. I feel betrayed by Sony for this action. We owners were given no notice or explanation, just left in the dark to find out for ourselves what happened. No more Sony products for me now. In fact I just purchased a new Samsung smart 4K TV yesterday and have sold this Sony being reviewed. You can do a Google search for ROVI guide not working on Bravia TV.

Below is my original review after buying the TV in 2013:
I bought this TV to replace my 2008 Sony XBR 40" model. I wanted to get a larger screen and also to have 3D capability. I am a big Sony fan, so this was perfect opportunity for me. This (46") TV is no.longer offered by Sony, so now was the time to buy and get a great price. This TV has a really great picture. Setup was easy, as it was the same as my old Sony TV. There two issues which prevents me from giving it 5 stars. The online TV guide does NOT work because the company that used to broadcast it over the air no longer does so. If you hook the TV up to the internet (I am told by Sony support) you can get the guide information. The speakers are just awful as the sound has no bass or richness at all. I have fixed this problem by buying an "under the TV" Dolby sound system. In spite of these two issues, I love the TV and the picture quality just can't be any better. I am limited in the screen size I can use in my living room (50" max) so this 46" Sony was just the thing. I would recommend this TV highly. If you're thinking about buying it, you might not want to wait until they are sold out!

I am updating my review, now that I have had time to use my TV for a while. I connected it with the Internet and that made all the difference in the world! The TV updated its' software and many new/improved features were added. Plus now I can access many things on the Internet for free! I have also had the opportunity to try out the 3D mode and it is just great!! I just wanted to update my review to say that I am so very glad I bought this Sony TV and would recommend it to everyone. Buy it, you won't regret it!! Also, the online TV guide now works, just as Sony told me it would! Get this TV and connect it to the Internet..
on December 28, 2012
I bought this from Amazon around Thanksgiving when I wasn't expecting to have to buy a new tv. My previous 40" Sony Z series screen just died unexpectedly and the repairman said it would be $1594.00 to put a new one in. So I researched the sources to get this one which was the same quality level as the Z series and saved $500.00 over the repair cost! Its also 6" bigger diagonally. The picture quality is beautiful and I really can't tell the difference between this one and the 55" HX 850 I bought earlier this summer. Fits nicely in the spot of the old 40 ". Everywhere I went to ask opinions of salespeople about Sony vs. Samsung everyone said they would by Sony with their own money. I might add that this was the first time I've bought an item like a TV on Amazon but it was easy and very quick ( 2days even though I didn't pay for 2 day ship). I wouldn't hesitate to do it with them again.Sound on this model is actually better than my HX 850.Bigger, somewhat front facing speakers at the bottom of the tv. Think this is the best bang for your Sony buck.
on December 26, 2012
Our sitch is similar to JDo who posted in June 2012

We bought this KDL-46HX750 along with the 55" model of the same, in late October 2012 and this 46" basically died the Friday before Christmas (2012). It began shutting off within a minute of being powered on...would power back up on its own, then shut off again...then the red LED light in the bottom left corner blinks 8 times, pauses, blinks 8 times, pauses, etc.

We immediately contacted support via email after finding no "fixes" on the Sony website. We received a reply with instructions to try "resetting" the TV, which we did but it didn't work. We were then told that it would need repair and that we had to Call Sony Support on a NON-800# (on OUR dime) & ONLY between the hours of 9:00 - 5:00 pm (ET) M-F. We called on that Monday following (on Christmas Eve) at 7:30 am PT and got a person who would not believe that we had already gone through the reset steps with the other support person via email. We had to do it all over again with this person. He was difficult to understand and was a bit arrogant.

So far this buying experience sucks. We're now concerned that the 55" is going to do the same...if it does, it better occur during the warranty period.

What's somewhat funny, although sad too, is that we own a circa 1975 Sony Trinitron (dial-NO remote)that I got as a Christmas gift while in high school that still works! Instead of the rabbit ears, we've hooked it up to cable & a VCR to change the channels (we set the TV to channel 3).

We're waiting to get a call from a "local" repair person. Not too optimistic at this point, especially since it is the week of Christmas & many people will be calling customer support because they've found out their brand new Sony TVs that they got for Christmas are junk.

In the meantime, we bought a Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 42" LED LCD TV & Panasonic TY-WL20U wifi receiver to use while waiting for Sony to get their act together. It works great (I wrote a review on that TV as well).

UPDATE:
After a few go-arounds with "customer service", there was no "local repair person" that could fix the TV so Sony sent us a "refurbished" replacement over two months later (Feb. 2013). We had to put our dead television set in the box that the refurbished arrived in and immediately send it back (at Sony's expense) or we would be charged for the TV (you have to give Sony your credit card # or they won't send you a refurbished replacement).

The replacement has continued to function properly for two years (April 2014) so I've upgraded my rating from 1 to 3 stars.
The matching 55" model has worked properly from day 1, including the wi-fi.
Sony had always been our "go to" electronics company in years past, however, we are not sure yet if we will ever be buying another Sony in the future.
on September 3, 2012
Bought an LG but ran into the same probem many others had that the LG Truemotion is not really on the 2012 LG sets yet despite thier advertising. Couldn't wait for the LG firmware upgrade (some people waiting 6 months) so I tried the 46" Sony HX750 instead. WOW - no comparison. The Sony was more expensive but worth every penny. Sports are incredibly clear, etc. I also use the variable output jack on the Sony to feed directly into a subwoofer. Really adds depth to the TV speakers. Can only do that with Sony (only ones offering the variable audio output). Thanks Sony and thanks Amazon for a great purchase.
on January 8, 2014
Picture quality is nice. Sometimes color pixels seem very dark but overall quality is good. Black pixels do not look dark black when room is well-lit. Internet speed on TV is very slow even with wired connection of 5-10Mbps speed. With wi-fi connection it takes hours to connect. Browser is uselessly slow, you need lot of patience to type on it and then wait for webpages to load. Have not tried the 3D quality yet. Sound quality is good. Onscreen keyboard is tricky and needs a lot of practice.

Overall it's a good product but needs a lot of improvements in the 'smart'ness aspect of it. Otherwise go for any non-smart 3D TV with Roku. You'll have a cheaper option :)
on March 7, 2013
I bought this TV because I wanted to play my games in 3D. I wanted great picture, great 3D through active glasses, and an affordable price. With all 3 checked out, it wasn't too hard to see that compared to other models and brands that this was a winner.
on June 5, 2013
Bought this to replace the Panasonic that went down after two years. Blacks are not as saturated as the plasma Panasonic but the colors are nice and it works well with both streaming and blu-ray. Better to watch in bright room than Panasonic and definitely does not have the heat coming off it like a plasma. Like the thin, light weight aspects, easier to mount and manipulate. Have bought Sony in the past and will buy again. Hopefully this set lasts.
on February 13, 2014
This is my second 47" Sony tv. The depth of color is wow! I enjoy all the smartness in this smart tv. I enjoy netflix,amazon and the selections of other tv programs at the touch of a finger.

A month since I purchased the 47" Sony. It is difficult to get to all the internet programs. Sony help ran me through steps to take. After the trouble shooting it remains a problem. I have a Vizio a smart tv that has no problem connecting to the internet. I've got my fingers crossed this common problem can be resolved by Sony because otherwise this is a great tv.