Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on November 16, 2011
I just saw "Breaking Dawn" part 1, and I was VERY impressed, even if as a man I am probably not the most typical fan of "Twilight" series. I rather liked all the "Twilight" movies until now and this one is, to my personnal taste, as good as the previous ones - and even in one aspect a little bit better, as Edward and Bella finally become lovers. Below, you will find a short description of what I believe are the best elements of this film, with limited SPOILERS:

1. Actors. All actors evolved as the serie continued and I believe they all got better with time. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are both excellent, but - in my humble opinion - it is Kristen Stewart who in this movie shines the most. Quite a lot of people frequently criticized her actorship claiming that she simply can not play at all and has a very limited assortment of expressions in her tool box. But for me, after reading "Twilight" books, this is how the character of Bella should be. I can hardly picture her wide smiling with all her teeth bared or doing any other highly extraverted things like that. In fact I believe that either by design or by accident Kristen Stewart got the things right about this character - her minimalistic approach to facial expressions actually makes (for me) Bella very believable and also quite likeable. In this part of the story, Bella takes a more dynamic approach to life by taking her destiny firmly under control. She makes important decisions and takes extreme risks, stubbornly resisting the opposite advice of all her family and friends - all of that in a deceptively unassuming way... And Kristen Stewart acted in the movie exactly as I pictured Bella did it, when I read the books. A very good job!

Other actors are also great, with Ashley Greene and Billy Burke being as usual the pillars - but amongst the supporting roles it is Nikki Reed who really gets the most praise from me. She has a much bigger role in this film and she is perfect in it! The one (little) disappointment is Jackson Rathbone, who changed comletely his haircut for this film and as a result his character, Jasper, seems much less impressive, which is a pity. He also seems to appear very little in the "first line", almost as if the director preferred to hide him a little...

2. Visual aspects. As usual, the images of state of Washington are great, but the tropical island where Bella and Edward spend their honey moon is also very pleasantly showed. Dark forests filled with (were)wolves are very much present here and they are a great background for the story.

3. Music. As usual in those series, music and songs have been selected very carefully and with a great taste.

4. The (were)wolf pack. The Quileute wolves are shown here even more and better than in the previous part. The scene of their war council, when they are all in the werewolf form, is absolutely great! The scene when Sam (the alpha male) asserts and confirms his power over the pack is excellent - as good as the description of Jacob's defiance and its consequences.

5. The wedding. A very nice and moving scene with some humour elements, especially when the guests make speeches offering toasts. Emmett, Jessica and Bella's father give here a great show. In the same time Mike Newton obsesses on vampire bridesmaids from the Denali clan, to the point of drooling (and I TOTALLY understand him!). Bella's mum and, suprprise surprise, Rosalie (!) are also real treasures in wedding scenes.

6. Quileute wolves vs. Cullen coven confrontation. This heartbreaking, tense and at moments violent conflict in which both sides are trapped against their will is a great moment in the Twilight saga - and its final resolution is even better! Finally it is true what the Beatles were singing - all you need is love! Babies help too...

7. The fight for Bella's life, Renesmee's bloody birth and Bella's fate - excellent! Those were moments very difficult to film - but the challenge was met succesfully! Nothing more about it to avoid more spoilers, but I was very impressed!

Conclusion: it is an excellent movie which I watched with great pleasure. My wife, who usually is a much harder person to please, loved it too and she is going to see it again with some girlfriends. And we will certainly both wait with great expectations for the "Breaking dawn" part 2. If it was done as well as that one, it will be certainly worth waiting one year to see it...
4141 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2011
Being a huge fan of the books and a pretty big fan of the movies, I was blown away at what a great job they did with this movie installment. I loved the visual and audio parallels they drew between the original movie, Twilight, and this movie. For instance (Spoiler Alerts throughout): I loved how they played Flightless Bird during the wedding ceremony and the way the camera circled them kissing in the same manner the camera circled E & B kissing at Prom at the very end of Twilight. It was a subtle, yet stunning way to visually tie the two movies together and really made more of an emotional impact than if they had just shot them straight on and plugged in a different song. That was genius. And that dress...gorgeous. Just as it was described in the book.

I also loved that rather than having one continuous honeymoon "consummation" scene, they broke it up with Bella thinking about certain moments the next morning after looking in the mirror for the first time, where she's no longer a virgin. It was all done so tastefully. The way one's first time should be at that age. Not at some house party or in the back of some guy's car. For those who read the books and knew how Edward did everything he could to exhaust Bella with activities on their honeymoon so she'd be too tired to "try again", you have to admit that Bill Condon did such a great job showing you visually all the things they were doing without either character having to come out and say, I'm/you're trying to exhaust you/me. And it was adorable with KS put on her little nightgown and leaned against the wall...I got married when I was 19 and I felt the exact same way when I put on lingerie for the first time and dreaded walking into the bedroom with my little gown on. I felt like a child playing dress-up, much like it came off Bella felt.

I was also very impressed by the manner with which Bill Condon allowed us to see through the eyes of Jacob for the first time and hear what he hears with regard to the internal dialog between him and the pack. That scene where the wolves were running to the lumber yard and their voices echoed in Jacob's mind...that was so perfectly done. AND, I loved loved loved the way the Sam and Jacob had their battle for alpha. It was as if you, the person watching the movie, was in the mind of a wolf who is being forced into submission by it's Alpha. The CGI team did a great job because I forgot I was watching computer generated wolves and the intensity of the scene felt like I was there witnessing the true dynamic of a wolf pack.

I thought the birth scene was beyond intense. The scene almost mirroring that as it's written in the book. I think they showed just the right amount of Bella's internal agony during her transformation. For those of us who read the books, to say she had a prolonged bout of suffering during her transformation would be an understatement. However, if they had shown more of that in the movie, it would have taken from the torture that Edward was going through thinking he had lost Bella, and Jacob's malevolence towards Renesmee prior to imprinting on her. That whole scene allowed for each character's state of mind to be both seen, visually, and felt, emotionally. Powerfully shot and brilliantly executed.

I imagine the imprinting scene was a difficult one to translate from paper to screen. They did a great job in this as well. Not in any way cheesy, but sweet and breathless...if that makes any sense. The only thing I did not love about it was that the girl/teenager Jacob sees as an older Renesmee appeared to be CGI. They used an actual young girl to play the younger Renesmee, why not use a real person for the older Renesmee too? I'm sure Hollywood has a few young actresses that would have auditioned for the part???

I loved the fight between the wolves and the Cullens at the very end of the movie. In the books, you go from Jacob's perspective where he witnesses Bella's death and then walks into the living room to kill Renesmee, only to imprint on her. And then you go immediately back to Bella's perspective where she's riving in pain while she's transforming into a vampire. I feel Melissa Rosenburg had a stroke of brilliance when she decided to add this scene so that the audience could see what could have happened in the books, but did happen in the movie, during the time period between Jacob imprinting on Renesmee and Bella awakening for the first time as a vampire. Another unexpected and totally welcomed brilliant surprise of this movie.

Another welcome surprise for me was while Bella was at the very end of her transformation. I thought it was a touching visual moment that just before her heart beat for the very last time, we witnessed Bella's memories in a somewhat reverse chronological order, ending with her very first human memory as a baby in the arms of her parents bouncing her in front of a mirror.

But what was not a surprise and what I've been telling my fellow twi-hards the past couple years is the very last scene of the movie. Once I heard they were splitting BD into two parts, I've always maintained there's only one way to end part 1 with truly visual impact...and that is to witness Bella's subtle transformation from a broken human to a perfect vampire, surrounded by the Cullens, with the scene closing in on Bella's perfect facial features, zooming into her perfectly shut eyes...that suddenly open the most gorgeous crimson red....and straight to credits. I actually gave myself a little pat on the back for that one because so much of the movie exceeded my expectations of visual and audio creativity, and yet the last scene ending a certain way was something I was very adamant with my friends about, and sure enough that's how it ends. So maybe now I can revel in having an ounce of the vision that Bill Condon and Melissa Rosenburg possess...hey I'll take that ounce.

Aside from the standout scenes I've mentioned herein, I thought Kristen Stewart did her best portrayal of Bella yet. Her facial expressions alone are so real to each moment they're almost tangible. I've enjoyed the work KS has done prior to the Twilight Saga, and I am so glad these movies have launched her career because I am certain she will be one of the great leading ladies of acting for many decades to come. So to all Twi-hards out there. This movie was amazing. A must see for those who loved the books and fans of the previous movies. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so that I can add it to my Twilight Saga collection.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2013
Without giving away the added scenes they are a MUST for any Twilight lover!!!!... They are not really extended scenes but new scenes added in. There is not longer version of the wolves running or such but whole new scenes that blend well with the movie. I think they should have been in the original cut. Allot of films add in extra scenes that quite don't add to the film or slow it down but these added scenes for Part 1 really give the movie added punch! I just loved watching the bonus scenes. It was also fun not knowing where they will show up so it almost like watching a new movie!... Get this you won't regret it.

I did get my copy on ebay where they had The Twilight Saga Complete Collection Box Set. It has all 5 movies on blu ray plus digital copies of all of them. Also it includes the audio commentary as an option! And.... It has the Extended Edition of Breaking Dawn Part 1.....

The Digital copies on the 5 Movie Box Set are on Cinema Now which is a great free app for storing movies where you can watch them on any device without taking up GB space on your device. They also download. At first I didn't think I would like Cinema Now compared to iTunes but then I saw my Blu Ray player had the option and I can watch my movies at a press of a button from Cinema Now. Its also available on SmartTvs. So it cool to have all the digital copies! I thought this was the best deal out there.
on February 18, 2012
From the raised, reproduced lace on the DVD package that matches Bellas Wedding gown, to the simply gorgeous, delicate silk commemorative flag/poster of their wedding photo, this is a no-brainer, must have edition to build your collection, ladies!
Included is the music from the film, the movie disk, a documentary disk that shows how they used a dummy to make Bella appear so emaciated as her pregnancy with
Renesmee progressed, and so much more.
I was gifted this from my brother who works at WalMart and hid it away for me a week before the release/sale date, and I had no idea it was a wedding version.
Upon receiving it you feel like you are truly apart of the Wedding, and that this rare DVD set is your wedding favor!

The movie is beautiful, the packaging is beautiful - It truly is one of those instances where you need to buy the rare edition, in this case, this very Wedding Dress Edition. Its worth whatever you have to pay for it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2013
Go to Walmart.com and order the two movie extended copy. You'll get pt 1 and pt 2. You'll get the extras as well as a digital copy for 5 dollars above what you would pay for just the one movie.You pay $24.00 and you get all the above. I think that's worth it versus buying separately.Different stores have different deals, and this one was the best that I found so far. I haven't ordered yet because I am still shopping around. You never know when you can find a better deal.I figure I was gonna pay $19.99 for pt 2, I just cough up $5.00 more and get pt 1 with the extras and the digital copy too. These movie studios do try to choke the dollars out of your wallet and they wonder why people bootleg their stuff. I personally love HD and Blu-Ray. I'm spoiled I guess. Hope this helps someone.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2012
You get a single disk with the Theatrical Release and a few extras. What in THE world makes this a special edition? You don't even know this is your lot until you open it and see it on the disc. :(
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2013
For the first time ever, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1 will be seen in an brand-new extended edition DVD and with eight additional minutes of never before seen footage that should and could had easily been on the first home video release. But no, Summit Entertainment/Lionsgate are making us spend more money of getting the film again to see deleted scenes added back into the film in honor of Breaking Dawn Part 2's DVD release.

There's more footage somewhere out there that was included in the book and or that was created only for the film that was filmed. Unfortunately, they were deleted and laying in the vault of Summit Entertainment/Lionsgate, which some fans may care and the original 117-minute theatrical version is included on the new edition and you're only get the commentary with the UV/digital copy just like BD:P2's release and you'll lose the remaining extras which will be sadly disappointing.

You may also want to keep your previous copy just only for the other extras instead of tossing it out and you'll feel really stupid for tossing your regular edition in the garbage that when you discover that all the other extras are gone, just get the extended edition and/or keep your original DVD copy and watch the deleted footage on YouTube because it's not a two-disc special edition DVD this time around!

Update: 2/19/2013: If you finally want to get to see what the eight minutes of footage, you can go to movie-censorship.com and when you are there, you can type in Breaking Dawn- Part 1 and you will see what's in the eight minutes of never before seen footage and if you should or should get the blu-ray or DVD again for just eight minutes!

Update: 3/2/2013: Not bad or good use of a extended edition even for eight stinking minutes! Me and my friend learned a very difficult lesson on the cash grab experience especially from Twilight. However, the added scenes gives the movie some kick into it even it's still disappointing and yet mediocre at neither best or worst. But make some points more clear than theatrical and you should see the extended edition because it's more explainable even it's unnecessary.
8282 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2012
As a big fan of the books I have enjoyed the movies. It amazes me how each movie has been better than the last! This is by far my favorite one yet. The collector set with flower is super classy looking. I love the prop flower way better than the collector cards or junk necklaces in previous set. I don't understand what people are expecting, the acrylic Keepsake is very nice even with the fake flower... I would think that live flowers wouldn't be a smart choice for a movie set and was never expecting a live flower. Super Nice Set!!!
on November 21, 2011
After waiting a year to see this film, I think the anticipation caused me to feel a bit let down after finally seeing it. So I saw it a second time to be fair...same feeling.

There are some good and bad things about this movie. I am sure I will watch it when it comes out on DVD a hundred times, because I'm a big fan of the series...but eclipse so far was the best movie by far for me.

There are differences from the books, some I liked, most I didn't.

First, the pros..

I like how they handled the birth scene, very tastefully done. It was actually my favorite scene of the movie, watching Bella's transformation. Very well done!

I loved the wedding scenes, the setting and gown were gorgeous and appropriate, but they cut the vows down to almost nothing...it was over too soon for me. And then I had to sit through stupid little reception toasts that were not in the book, and added nothing to the film.

The honeymoon scenes were handled really well...but there was no mention that Edward was also a virgin...in fact they kind of implied he wasn't....and the fact that he is, and that he's never experienced sex, is kinda the whole point of why sex with Bella would be so dangerous for her...he has absolutely no idea what to expect, so he can't know if he'll be able to keep control and not hurt her.

It was really cute when Bella was trying to tease Edward...although inaccurate from how it happened in the book.

The cons...

Well, I already mentioned some because they tainted the good parts... but here are more....

They totally cut out the mercedes scene at the gas station... And believe me, this movie needed some lightening up that scene would have provided.

Since when does Jacob get to see what Reneesmee is going to look like as an adult, just because he imprinted on her?

Why did Bella look like she was almost in physical pain going down the aisle? Even when she saw Edward standing there, she still looked like she might run until the actual vows were said. Ok, she was supposed to be nervous, didn't really want the whole wedding thing...but she wanted this guy...this was her future...they took the nervous nellie bit too far in my opinion.

The scene where Jacob breaks from the pack is all done "in wolf". You hear their human voices, but you just see the wolves...ok, major screw up here because that's not how it was done in the prior movies, so it just didn't sell to have it that way in this movie. And it came off stupid and silly, totally unbelievable. The wolves in general were done poorly in this movie...they were far more believable in New Moon and Eclipse. Watching the wolf scenes for me was like trying to choke down a tough piece of an otherwise edible steak.

The movie kind of dragged for me compared to the others. I think it's because they dragged out so much of the action to have the movie end with the birth scene. That was a big mistake in my opinion...cause there is now so much to tell in part 2 that we are going to get jipped on the best parts of the book in part 2. My favorite part of this book was after Bella becomes a vampire,and outside of her opening her eyes at the end of her transformation, that's all you get of Bella as a vampire in this movie. It's like they served you the appetizer and forgot the main course! Would it have killed them to end on a pleasant note, say that scene Alice envisioned of them running together in the forest?

And the Avatar eye scene...didn't need it Mr. Director! This isn't Avatar where shock affect wins you over..this is TWILIGHT and the romance is what wins us over!

And what was the whole end bit with the Volturi about? Aro may want something the Cullens have, but that's not in the book...and he doesn't even know about the baby until later...so this ending makes no sense at all to me.

This movie is for die hard Twilight fans only...anyone watching this purely for the entertainment value of the movie itself will be very dissapointed.

They only included the first third of the book to make this movie...so we got cheated on this one. And worse, they are now going to have to try and tell the last 2/3rds of the book in part 2...so my hopes are not high for that one either.

Overall, I am disspointed. This was my favorite of the book series. And my least favorite of the movies.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
I tried to watch "Breaking Dawn Part 1", but the movie was so boring, I had to fast-forward through it. There was one good moment though: when Bella told her pasty husband and Jake the shape-shifter her daughter's name. Jake's face was spot-on!