Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on March 13, 2012
**Originally posted on "#1 Hits From Another Planet" - 11/28/11**

Though they've got a lot of competition in the UK, One Direction have released the best boyband album of the year by a mile. Not only that, but it's one of the best pop albums of 2011 as well. It's that rare case of a record where every track could be a single. Couple that with the guys' insane popularity and I think we've got a new Take That on our hands. Or at the very least, a new Mcfly.

1. What Makes You Beautiful - Their big, breakthrough single. This is the type of unabashed power pop that manages to cross audiences and appeal to everyone. It's everything these guys should be doing, and one of the year's best singles. 10/10

2. Gotta Be You - This, on the other hand, should never have been a single. It's a nice song and a great album track, but there are stronger ballads on here. It does have a very Christmassy sound, though. 9/10

3. One Thing - Basically What Makes You Beautiful Part II, which explains why it's the next single. Same writers, similar production, and nearly as catchy. This could end up being the band's defining sound. 10/10

4. More Than This - Probably the best ballad on here. It's got a mature, classic sound to it and a wonderful melody with the expected boyband lyrics. Niall sounds especially excellent here. If this isn't a future single, it's a real shame. 10/10

5. Up All Night - An uptempo, catchy track with more of a rock sound. It borders on the novelty side of things, but I really love the Def Leppard-esque refrain at the end of the chorus and all the little hooks that run through the track. As with most tracks on the album, it's a ready-made single. 9/10

6. I Wish - Melody is the focus here, as this is one of the more mature sounding tracks on the album. It's got a throwback sound--a little rock, a little country. It doesn't initially stand out, but becomes better each time you hear it. 10/10

7. Tell Me A Lie - This is such a ready-made hit. Written for (by?) Kelly Clarkson, it sounds a lot like My Life Would Suck Without You (which, ironically, the boys sang on X-Factor). If they really want to break America, this is the song to release. It's one of their absolute best. 10/10

8. Taken - Another ballad, this is a Harry-centric track. It reminds me of something that Hanson would record, and that is no bad thing. It has a very organic feel. 9/10

9. I Want - Probably my least favorite track on the album. It was written by Mcfly and has Queen-esque guitars in it, which should be a great thing. But the melody and lyrics just seem too obvious. Not bad by any standards, but not amazing either. 7/10

10. Everything About You - Ushering in the dancier part of the album, this is a propulsive, repetitive radio track. Maybe a tad too repetitive, but I guess that's sort of the point. It's instantly catchy, for sure. 8/10

11. Same Mistakes - The final ballad, and it's a great one. The melody really appeals to me. It's got an interesting sound that somehow feels a lot more indie than the other tracks on the album. 10/10

12. Save You Tonight - The band's RedOne collaboration, and it's totally RedOne by numbers. That being said, the song's grown immensely on me. The chorus is still a bit underwhelming, but I love the bridge and verses. 8/10

13. Stole My Heart - What a way to end the album! Over a Dynamite-esque beat, the guys have taken the current trend of electro-dance and perfected it. The chorus and production are ridiculous. This needs to be a single! 10/10

Album Grade: 9.2/10
55 comments105 of 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
This CD is amazing, it was completely worth it, and I am glad I got it. It was one of my presents for this holiday season and worth every penny. (: It came on time and in brand new condition. This was my first time ordering off of amazon and I plan on doing it again. Buy this album, if you love One Direction or simply just thier music. The songs are great especially for the first album, cant wait to hear new music from One Direction.
0Comment25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2012
The UK pop group One Direction has their debut album 'Up All Night' now released in the US. This pop group has been a phenomenon/sensation both in the UK & Ireland since last year. This album (13 tracks) has great pop music (that you'll like to sing-along & dance all night) as well as great closing dance numbers in "Save You Tonight" & "Stole My Heart". Stand-outs/gems/solid tracks include "What Makes You Beatiful", a happy up-tempo pop song & first single, "Gotta Be You (2012 US Version), wonderful music & melody, "More Than This", "I Wish" & "Same Mistakes", incredible piano, melody & vocals. This is my favourite track from this great CD. Great tracks include "One Thing", "Tell Me A Lie" written by the American pop diva Kelly Clarkson & dance numbers "Save You Tonight" & "Stole My Heart" : these will make you feel like dancing the night away.

On overall, this new CD by One Direction 'Up All Night' is a great compilation of happy upbeat pop songs that you'll enjoy, a highly recommended CD listening.
0Comment19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
These boys definitely have talent. Good vocals, good harmonies, good songs and lyrics. This is the kind of good-hearted popular music you don't find anymore these days, and when you do it's all record comp any garbage and very repetitive. Sure, these guys probably didn't write their own songs or play their instruments and the lyrcs have no personal value to them... but it's good music and that is rare these days.
on May 12, 2012
I will preface this review with the disclaimer that I am Boy Band Obsessed (BBO). I have known for quite some time now, and am proud to admit it. That somewhat biased face being said, I absolutely love the cd. All of the tracks are upbeat and catchy and definitely kept me dancing all day (and night). I obviously bought this cd because of "What Makes You Beautiful" and "I Wish" but all of the tracks are fantastic. My favorite is "I Want", I feel like it has a truly unique sound for a boy band and I cannot get enough. I highly recommend this purchase if you are also BBO.
on September 26, 2012
I love One Direction... enough said. Haha but really though, even if you don't like them or its not your type of music, Moments and Same Mistakes are such amazing songs because you wouldn't think that a boy band would be that deep. I highly recomend if not the whole album, then atleast Moments and Same Mistake
on June 4, 2012
I have heard a lot about One Direction, but I had not heard all of the songs until I ordered their CD. I love all of them. It is an upbeat album that just makes you want to sing and dance.
on January 3, 2012
This really is one of the finest pop albums of many a year! It's done exceptionally in the UK where the group had the indignity of coming second on 2010's The X Factor. This usually means career death but both OD and the equally popilicious Olly Murs have beaten this curse.

I have the so-called Yearbook Edition of the album, which apart from featuring superior hard-book style packaging, also includes 2 bonus tracks, the upbeat Stand Up and a co-write by man of the moment Ed Sheenan, Moments. It goes without saying that this is the version to buy.

1st single What Makes You Beautiful rips off Summer Nights on the intro but is a perfect pop single. It's hung around the notoriously fickle UK for three months now. 2nd single Gotta Be You has done well too but isn't actually one of the better tracks. One Thing is the third single and is just the most joyous thing. It does sound rather similar to the Backstreet Boys' I Want It That Way, but actually improves on it!

In truth, there isn't a bad track here. There's nothing too soppy, the vocals and production are first rate and the group's youth and vitality really come across. You just can't help but smile when Up All Night is playing and after 2 or 3 hearings you'll be singing along too. At 15 tracks the album really should outstay it's welcome but it honestly doesn't. It's a gem.

Of course One Direction will never be the critics favourite. But if you love pure pop music with great choruses and sparkling production, you should be enormously happy with Up All Night. I hope the US take the group to their hearts and that the album becomes a regular fixture on the radio there.
on January 27, 2012
**Originally posted on "#1 Hits From Another Planet" - 11/28/11**

Album Grade: 9.2/10
on April 23, 2012
Well I did some research prior to buying this CD. So I was not surprised with the outcome. However, some may be surprised that an over 30 y.o. male would actually appreciate the music of some young UK boyband. However, this CD just has a vibe of good times. Hence, it makes sense that they named it "Up All Night". The stand out songs are of course, the break out hits include "What Makes You Beautiful", and "One Thing". However, the CD has more for the buck than that. The upbeat song "Tell Me a Lie" should definitely be a single too. However, they also have great flow and for me I believe two other songs from the CD could be singles too. They include "Taken" and "Same Mistakes" which were co-written by the five lads. I am big on if a group can write, so their future looks promising. However, I was disappointed that they only offered I think their best song "Moments" on a MP3 download. Overall, this is a great start for a bad that could have put out a mediocre CD, but they put out an epic one. May many others gets OneDirection infections. Kudos to the band individually too which consists of Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, Luis Tomlinson and Niall Horan. My only request is that Niall and Luis can get more solos so that are five can sing on all the songs. That would make the band much different than all the other boy bands in the past.