Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: DVDChange

on April 27, 2012
You should know that Iron Man is my second favorite super hero of all time. Make of that what you will, but obviously I am going to show some favoritism to Iron Man products. Let's just be honest here.

Now that that's out of the way, lets settle something. People seem to either love or hate anime. I love anime and have been watching it for a very long time. If you love Iron Man, but hate anime, don't even bother watching this.
A lot of people on various websites have trashed these Marvel anime just because they are anime. If anime isn't for you, then these aren't either.

If you do like anime, then you already know that anime is slick and visually stylized. I has a certain feel or Japanese quirkiness to it, that will be lacking elsewhere. This anime has that, but brings the fun of centering on a popular super hero that I know and love. The artwork is nice, crisp and colorful. It's very pretty to behold. Of course like a lot of animation in this cost cutting age we live in, there aren't 30 or 60 frames of animation. Now that things are done on computer instead of hand drawn, companies tend to skip as many frames as possible and often show many static scenes to cut time and expenses in production. That's just something you have to deal with now. Anime purists are aware that old school hand drawn anime had a much more fluid sense of motion to it and a lot less of the shortcut method.

None of that has proved to be a bother in the Iron Man anime. That is partly due to the fact that the episodes are fairly fast paced. Iron Man is facing dangers very soon. This is only a 12 episode show and that could be looked at as a good thing. A lot of anime will do a 26 episode season or series. Some good much longer and some go way too long. At least here, you know you're going to get the entire series with one purchase and the show has to come to an end.

So without spoiling anything, I just feel that this is a fun, beautiful, fast paced anime style tribute to a great superhero. I think studio Madhouse did a great job. These not a high level of utter silliness that can be found in some anime. You won't find singing pigs or magical cat girls, so don't worry about that.

At this price, this is totally worth buying if you are a fan of both anime and Iron Man.

For me, the enjoyment of this series has been even more pleasurable because me and about 30 of my friends will be getting together to watch all of the Marvel super hero movies and then going to see The Avengers in the theater the next day. The Iron Man anime is a fun appetizer. The rest is dessert.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
In my humble opinion, still the best anime project coming out from the Marvel & Madhouse collaboration. This one & the X-men series are my personal favorites. Great story & jaw dropping animation. It's ironic because as much flack as this project got from the get go, growing up a comic fan in the 80's to mid 90's we always fantasized to see something like this. And now that it's finally here, fan boy's still find negative things to say. There's just no pleasing some people but to the uninitiated, I recommend giving this a chance. It's really well done.
on April 14, 2012
I watched the series when it previewed on G4 and I found that it was not bad. The animation was quite good, and the females in the series are properly proportioned.... you know what I mean X-men.... There is intrigue, betrayal, and action in every episode that I watched. There was even a cameo from another character in the Marvel universe that one will not see coming. Even though I gave it 3 out of 5 stars, I will still purchase this for my Marvel collection.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I enjoyed this series as much as the X-Men and Blade anime series as overall it gives you what you basically want,your superhero kicking butt and lots of actions and with a decent storyplot for the most part.Some people were disappointed with this anime release sets of the Marvel universe characters though why is hard to say for some.

Basically if you're unsure of getting this check out a few episodes if possible online to finalize your choice.Still for most Marvel fans I'm sure they'll be more then happy to get these sets.
on August 14, 2013
I watched this anime with the subtitles and Japanese audio. I really ended up enjoying the new take on Iron Man. The story has a good arc story line and each episode is well written and animated. I feel that this series shows what can be done with a comic book character. The results are really surprisingly good. It is well done entertainment. The series will get repeat viewings I hope for more shows from this partnership.
on January 12, 2015
This is a different production of Iron Man for taking place mostly in Japan and the public knows that Tony Stark is Iron Man.
It pays homage to how Iron Man came to be and how much Stark changed since then. The series has a good balance of
action, suspense and humor (Stark's mainly). A few surprises within, including one appearance from another Marvel hero
(name withheld) and a history lesson or two.
on April 1, 2014
my son is an Iron Man FREAK!!!! He can watch it all day and you get like 14 episodes so it's money well spent. Stories are good, animation little choppy at times, but very cool and even I can watch it. The graphics are good and characters are well iked by my 3 yr old. He knows War machine, Zodiac and Tony Stark. He's very astute and he loves it!!!
on June 27, 2013
the aspects of the film i like the japanese feel to the iron man story. the impacted of this special story i love it. if you are considering this film? just get it you will like it the anime iron man is great and it's a must see for a iron man fan you will enjoy this.i can not compare this film to other film but i love this special features.
on July 18, 2014
Great movie. If you love Anime and love Super Hero Movies then this is for you. Great story and drama in this movie. The Love Story sneaks up on you in this movie. Great visuals and vice acting superb. Buy this with confidence get a new vision of a OVERCONFIDENT Tony Stark.
on May 14, 2012
I'm not a huge anime fan but when I heard Madhouse was involved in the production of this I knew I had to check it out. For those of you who don't know, Madhouse is a studio that produces many high quality shows in Japan, such as Trigun, Death Note, and Ninja Scroll. It was basically a given I'd have to see this since I love Iron Man and Marvel, so a superhero anime in the hands of such capable talents was bound to be something interesting to say the least.

Since it is an anime, you will naturally see many Eastern influences in the show but they are not done to an extreme that distracts the viewer. There can be some quirkiness in regards to character's facial reactions reacting to things and the physical animations they do when they go about some things but it is nothing compared to your average anime so if you dislike that kinda stuff rest assured it's not overdone. Some people may not even know they're watching an anime to be honest if they aren't too familiar with the style. With Madhouse, I had no doubts the animation would be superb and I was correct; the animations are sleek, the action is easy to follow, and art they used for the characters and backgrounds are absolutely beautiful.

As for the episodes themselves, they're pretty decent and mostly follow a "freak of the week" format. Not going to lie, some of the show's villains are pretty weak in their character development; the reasons for their actions are poor, and some are entirely way too generic. There are some really great episodes though and asides from a few that I thought were useless due to the weak villains used, it's overall a nicely paced story with 12 episodes. I think the most notable thing to mention in regards to the voice cast is Adian Pasdar (Heroes) takes a bit to get used to as Tony Stark but he grows on you once you quit imagining Robert Downey Jr.'s voice as Tony's (if you're like me).

If you enjoy anime and Marvel or Iron Man, I can pretty much assure you you'll love this. It's not a full-blown anime but incorporates enough signature qualities of one that you'll be right at home if you're a fan of the style. If you don't like anime, I'd say at least give an episode a watch and see what you think then as it's anime but depending on your definition and knowledge of the animation style, it may not even bother you. As I mentioned earlier, this show does utilize a "freak of the week" format in a sense that most villains are connected to a bigger enemy that threatens Tony so if you don't like shows that use this story style you may not care too much for this show.