Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on June 11, 2012
As a previous owner of an HP TouchSmart that was 5 years old and had Windows Vista, I was extremely excited about upgrading to a new AIO PC. I am a PC Tech and did a lot of research on AIO PC's. There is not a lot on the market and after much comparison, I chose this ASUS AIO due to it's high performance specifications. Couldn't find these specs anywhere else. Sorry HP.

As much as I love the design and performance specs of this PC, there are many disappointments.

The very first disappointment is the keyboard and mouse! WOW! The cheapest hunk of plastic you'll ever come across. And louder than a circa 1980 IBM keyboard. The mouse is too small. It is the size of a laptop portable mouse. There is absolutely no reason for these cheap necessities to be included with a $1500 price tag. I am using my HP TouchSmart's excellent quality wireless keyboard & mouse with this system. The only issue with replacing a keyboard on an AIO system is that they usually have special function keys (similar to laptops) associated with the AIO design that you will not be able to replicate on another keyboard.

The second disappointment is the sound and subwoofer. Not only can you not get any acceptable volume out of it, the quality of the sound does not meet their marketing hype. My $25 Logitech 2.1 system kicks butt compared to this (and has taken it's place).

My third disappointment, in my opinion, is the display. First, I can see the pixels. Not happy about that. I guess Apple understands that a display this size needs higher resolution. Second, I'm learning to dislike LED displays. The bluish color cast and brightness are too extreme. I even have a Spyder color calibration system and don't like the results. The LCD on my TouchSmart with the Spyder color calibration was excellent. Third, (I don't know the correct terminology or technology behind this) the font smoothing/display of text is nowhere near as good as my TouchSmart.

Fourth disappointment, the 1TB hard drive is partitioned. This seems to be a trend with new PC's and large hard drives. However, what disappoints me the most about this is that the C: drive is only partitioned to 80GB! Totally unacceptable. My Music folder alone contains more than 80GB. This forced me to move my Documents, Music and Picture folders to the D: drive. While that may be a minor issue for me, the average computer user is not going to know how to do this. (there's a procedure to this so that Windows knows where these files are for shortcut purposes). If they're going to pre-partition, they should go with 50/50. Or, if possible, when running the OOBE setup (Out Of Box Experience), it would be nice to have the option of partitioning.

And 2 completely subjective disappointments:

1. The door on the left that covers the I/O ports had to be removed. It gets in the way of the ports when opened to use the ports, and you can't close it if you're using the ports. You have to remove it. (luckily it's easily removed)

2. The Bluray/DVD/CD drive is way too bulky. HP did it right with the slot loading drive in the TouchSmart.

Hardware issues:

1. The Bluetooth is no good. I have 3 different Bluetooth headsets (that all worked great with the TouchSmart), but have horrible electronic gurbling with the Bluetooth radio in this unit. It is absolutely unusable.

2. The Bluray/DVD/CD eject button does not work in Windows. It works on bootup, but not after Windows loads. I have to go to Explorer and right click on the drive and click eject to open it.

3. The physical volume buttons in the lower right of the display do not work.

As much as I like the performance of this unit, the excitement of getting this new system was hampered quickly by all of the above issues.

And as much as I am an ASUS fan (I have an ASUS laptop and tablet), I expected more for a $1500 price tag.

Packaging: The packaging it comes in is excellent. The PC is nestled in the middle of very thick and sturdy styrofoam corners. There is plenty of space between the PC and the front and back of the box so that box denting and intrusions during shipping minimize the chance of damaging the PC.

In conclusion, this is as nice an AIO system you can get from what's available on the PC market. I wouldn't deter anyone from buying this system, as long as you realize that you will have to replace the keyboard, mouse and speakers. And if you need to move any of your system folders, you can Google, "moving my documents windows 7".
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
My old touch screen Hp had died so I decided to get a new one to Hang on the wall. I researched a lot and really wanted a 27 inch screen. This computer is not touch screen but the specs and price along with the screen resolution were too good to pass up. I have had it up and running for about a month now and the whole family loves it. The screen is great and it is so nice to be able to have two windows open at the same time that are easy to see. The speed of the computer is great. All my programs run really well and my son reports very little lag while playing his video games. I mounted mine on a wall, easy to do and it is like having another PC/TV in the house. This is the first ASUS I have had and I am very happy with it.
on September 9, 2012
Would recommend to a friend. This machine should have more buzz, it is the best put together AIO that I am aware of. Hats off to the ASUS guys for setting the bar in this space. This machine will provide you easily 3 years of maintenance free performance and you will have your young relatives fawning over you to try it out.

It's the first model in the line out and so could stand for some improvements. The casing is an aesthetic win but inputs are awkwardly positioned and poorly obscured. The component sticker set was also presented poorly, the stickers being placed directly on the lower right speaker bar and, placed by hand, they aren't in line. Maybe that's the Monk in me coming out, but I did notice it right away.

One entertaining tidbit is that your webcam chat partners will laugh at you as your eyes dart back and forth while multitasking. The screen is enormous relative to your distance from it and I love it for Google Earth.
on June 22, 2012
It took me a minute to figure things out. The manual had to be downloaded. I had to call Asus for help. Just a tip, make sure your battery is in the mouse. I really like the speed. It came really quick. You definitely need to upgrade to office professional. This was a good choice & I am loving it!
on June 11, 2012
This computer compared to most PCs is great, 27 inches and 1920x1080 display is not compared to a Mac, but also price is not even compared. It's a great product.
on July 8, 2012
If this all in one were a touch screen it would be the steal of the year. In fact, given the current state of computer technology, it is almost baffling as to why a firm as quality concerned as Asus would even manufacture an all in one without a touch screen. They make 24" all in ones that are touch screens, many sold right on this sight. Sony has come out with a new touch screen that requires touching only the edge of the screen, has a blueray DVD, a 1.5 TB hard drive, and 8 GB. It's time Asus, with it determination to be award winners from computer magazines and customer service began to step up.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse