Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Art Book Bundle|Change
Price:$77.99+ $3.99 shipping

on May 21, 2012
Let me start this off by saying I am new to the series. I have never read the books and I am about half way through the first season of the HBO series. So before playing the game for the first time I was aware of some characters, locations and lore but not much.

Gameplay:
As many have stated this game plays like what Dragon Age 2 should have played like. Some people have called the fighting boring, I would have to disagree. The combat is fun and rewards tactics. (IF you don't play of easy, which I assume you can just press the attack button a few times and wait for your foes to die) Much like Dragon Age 2, Combat at the start of the game is a little boring since you have yet to unlock skills and executions but by the middle of the game when hordes are crashing down on you it's rewarding to strategize a battle plan and not simply button mash your opponents into oblivion. (Hint: Make sure to utilize your dog as much as possible later in the game and on harder settings. The dog has saved me from the load screen on many occasions.)

Apart from the actual combat the rest of the gameplay is like your other RPGS. Exploring areas results in hidden compartments of cash and loot. There is not a lot of loot but it is worth searching around. Also searching with your dog lets you find loot that otherwise wouldn't not be available to simply pick up. (I didn't figure that out until about chapter 6 or I'm sure I would have found even more loot. An Example, there may be a fire pit that you have checked out with your character, if you switch to your dog and search the same fire pit all of a sudden there is a nice sword in there for you)

The Real Gem of the Game of Thrones is simple the story. (People complaining about the story have obviously not made it past chapter 4 of the game.) Like I mentioned before I'm not a huge fan of the series. (Well at least before I started this game) The Story for both characters is great, Better than most RPG's to come out recently. Kingdoms of Amular's story can't compare to Game of Thrones Lore. Not to mention the twists that I don't want to give away. Just make sure that you pay attention because much like the TV show there is a lot of dialogue to listen to.

Graphics...

While they are far from the best in the world; people comparing this game to PS2 graphics are simply spoiled whiners who don't remember the PS2. These graphics are not the best, but they do the job. The armor's look great but everything else you have seen before this generation.

Bottom Line:

The story makes you want to experience more of the Lore. I actually ordered the first book today so I can get started on catching up with the rest of you. The combat being compared to Dragon age is a fair comparison. ( I Beat Dragon Age Origins 7 times so I may be a little biased in exclaiming that I really like the combat of this game) The leveling system is fun and gives players a feeling of being unique while really not giving players a ton of customization options. I hope if they make a new game players can customize their character a little more. All and all Fun Game with a decent amount of gameplay. A little replay value as decisions you made the first time can be changed on a second play through. If you found this game for $40 bucks you are getting a good game at a great price. At $50 you are getting a solid game worth the money at $60 bucks you are supporting the video game industry and doing your part to help them balance their own budgets. Think of it as making a campaign donation this year that actually goes to a good cause.
on May 16, 2012
Kids with ADD will not like this game, that much is clear. But if you are an adult gamer who used to enjoy "old school" 90s PC RPGs and happen to be a fan of GRRM, then you will most likely love this story driven game.

The voice acting is actually very good, and if you're a fan of the show, you'll feel right at home (especially since the music is the same). The graphics are serviceable, and the RPG elements are quite detailed, though again, suffer from some old school game design choices.

One particularly cool thing is that your dialogue choices directly affect your character perks/development.

The combat is not really turn based... more of a "slow down time to a crawl and queue up your next skills and actions" thing. It works well, and is challenging. You'll have to constantly choose the best weapon to deal with the enemy's armor.

The cutscenes are great, lots of dialogue, excellent codex. If you're a true fan of the books and show and don't get scared away by non-AAA game budgets, you'll love this. It is a quality game.
on May 22, 2012
I throughly enjoyed this game, and I have been playing RPGs since the 90s. This is definitely one of the best video game adaptations of film or TV I have played - they are usually absolutely terrible.

Pros:
1. Story - Some people said it started off slow, I felt interested right from the start to see where the story would go
2. Character development system is awesome - I love the strength/weakness balance aspect
3. Battle system - I love the battle system for this, but then again, I was in a minority (in terms of overall gamers, not RPG players) who loved a similar one in Dragon Age: Origins

Cons:
1. Minor but noticeable graphic issues take away from immersion in the story - For example, during conversation the transition between each dialogue sentence is not very smooth
2. Not much "open world" - I usually enjoy a more open world, not necessarily as open as Skyrim, but more open than this.

If your only journey into the realm of RPG is Skyrim, and you're expecting Skyrim, you will be disappointed. If you're expecting non-stop action, you'll be disappointed. There is far more story here than battle. If you haven't read the books, you may feel like you're missing something.

I've played a lot of terrible RPGs, this isn't one of them. Could they have improved a few aspects? Absolutely, but they have made something that overall is enjoyable and worth playing.
on May 16, 2012
First I was kind of unpleasantly surprised - the game has a quasi turn-based combat. But eventually it made sense. It is a story heave game, with long cut scenes, and a lot of dialogues. As a fan of the books, I really like it.
As I prefer RPGs that stress a story, I am really happy with this one.
The rest - visuals, sound, and such are good enough for me. The game definitely does not look like my favorite wallpaper generator Skyrim ;), but for a small team on a tight budget it is understandable.
I gave 5 stars for a bundle. The art book is a nice touch, good quality, and free. BTW, I pre-odered this in February, so I got this bundle for 44.99, and I am glad that I did.
on June 3, 2012
As a fan of the Game of Thrones HBO series (but having never read any of the books) I was somewhat skeptical about this game as I have been burned in the past by the shallow gameplay offered in licensed titles, but decided to preorder it nonetheless. Then on Release day I read numerous reviews from sources such as GameInformer, IGN, and others that completely lambasted this title. I came very close to returning the game without even opening it, but after thinking on it a while changed my mind and gave it a try. I am very glad that I did. What I found was a game that, while flawed, appeals to fans of old school Western RPGs quite well.

The leveling system is actually quite cool; for example character traits are built throughout the course of the game based on the decisions you make. Did you decide to have Mors (one of the two main characters) mercilessly torture a prisoner to death? Now he has a bonus due to his callous nature. In addition, your choices throughout the game affect the outcomes of certain plot threads. Unlike a certain other popular franchise, however, you will never be presented with a ghost child that forces you to choose between three colors for the ending. Instead the ending choices have meaning, consequences, and closure.

The story for this game is quite compelling. Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that the story slightly precedes and then parallels events of the first season/book, and feels like a natural part of the George R.R. Martin world. As with the the books and the show, there are no 'good' guys, just bad guys, worse guys, and not quite as bad guys.

There is one area where the critics weren't too far off and that is in the graphics department. If graphics are your hang up then you may have a problem with this game as the textures are quite dull (though really not much worse than Skyrim or Dragon Age: Origins if you are playing the Xbox version). However if you love dark, well told stories and classic Western RPG gameplay and can tolerate less than perfect graphics then I would recommend picking this up.

It's a shame that professional game reviewers give games like Dragon Age 2 (pretty graphics and horrible game) and Mass Effect 3 (shallow compared to its predecessors and of course that horrid, horrid ending) a pass and then pound this one so hard. It has its flaws but really it has a lot of redeeming qualities.

The only thing that prevents me from giving Game of Thrones five stars is its lack of detailed textures. If you love the Game of Thrones series -and- you love old school Western RPGs then I do recommend giving this one a try.
on May 17, 2012
When I first got the game I was pretty intrigued by it. I admit that I have not read the books and I am an avid fan of the TV series. I know one cannot be compared with the other so I will not go into whether or not the game follows the plots and design of the books because I am not qualified. But given the fact that I do not have a lot of the back story through the books I find this game really addicting and enjoyable.

I started playing it and was kind of disappointed just having come off of a 8 month Skyrim high and before that, being obsessed with the Dragon Age series. I am not into shooters, short play times or games with no overall good storyline. The story does start out a little slow, I am sure if you read the books it might be a different experience but for me I had no idea what was going on or why I cared about these characters I was playing. I typically like playing games where I can be a female character so not having that choice was a bit off putting to me. But I have to say once I got past chapter 2 in the game I really did not care anymore. I am really engrossed into these two characters and where the story is taking them/me.

The graphics are not the best and only being able to see the world through a half third person/half first person view is a little annoying. I like to be able to switch back and forth to get the whole scene around me. I did not like the combat system at first mostly because I like a more fast pace combat system but it is not a deal breaker. While the combat is a little "slow" and a little cumbersome it still is not worth getting upset about it in my opinion. All of the cons so far are definitely outweighed by the pros of this game.

What I really love is how every decision you make effects pretty much every aspect of the game. You feel like you are in control of who you want to your character to be and what you do definitely has an impact. It is not like no matter what decision you make does not matter to the game because whatever is going to happen is going to happen with or without you. Your decisions not only affect the game story but it also affects your character traits and perks as well. I find this type of detail thrilling.

If you are a real RPG fan, "old school" as one of the previous reviewers tagged themselves then you will really enjoy this game the more you play it. Most of the time, the flash and technology can be overlooked by a good story that puts you in the driver's seat and makes you feel like you are THAT character. So far this game does that on many different levels which definitely makes it worth playing. Can there be improvements, yes, but those improvements should only enhance what is already there and not take away from the in-depth story, RPG playability and quality that already exists.
on May 16, 2012
While I am only a few hours into the game, it is by no means as bad as some would have you believe. The graphics are not the best and the voice acting can be stail at times, but the story more than makes up for these minor issues. Many will point to the lack of character customization as a flaw, I find that there is just the right amount. You choice your characters class, set the standard RPG states (strength, intel ect.) and learn skills based on the character class you choose.
If you are a fan of the show you will enjoy it, you see some events from a different light than in the books and TV show. If your not a fan, you will probably get more enjoyment from another RPG.
on May 28, 2012
The game is good because I am a fan of the books. Combat is awful, I must admit. But, I do not regret purchasing the game solely because I am enjoying the story. It is not the worst game I have ever tried but far from the best. Graphics are outdated. Voice acting is pretty good...certainly have heard worse. I would recommend getting this game when price drops a lot and when you have some time between games you are waiting for. Enjoy it for what it is.
on February 12, 2013
I got this at a crazy deal and would buy again at this price. If paying full price you should definitely read a few reviews before purchasing.

I didn't make it super far into the game (yet) but it seems like they got a license to use the universe of GoT but not the characters so it's a little bit of a lore bummer for me.
on January 22, 2013
I was really hoping this would be a good game. Well, unfortunately, it isn't. The game just is a pain to play and not very good. But, the art book is very nice! And since I only paid less than 10 bucks, I won't complain too much. Had I paid the normal price, it would have been a one star.

See 1 answered question